• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, this basically means that September potentially is the last chance for a make or break for the year for Nintendo at this point

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, this basically means that September potentially is the last chance for a make or break for the year for Nintendo at this point
September 10 im betting money on

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I just started playing Bug Fables yesterday and I've fallen in love with the game. I'm already half way through the 2nd chapter. I don't trust Queen Elizant the II for various reasons.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's such a really odd move on Nintendo's part. I mean they must now there there is a good portion of their fan base who neither care about Paper Mario or Pikmin. And a portion of that group probably didn't care about animal crossing prior. So for a large number of Nintendo fans, they haven't really had any Nintendo games to buy for a fair few months (almost half a year if you were one of those people who just didn't care about Animal Crossing) It's so weird. You'd think they would want to give people a glimpse of what they at least had to look forward to.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's such a really odd move on Nintendo's part. I mean they must now there there is a good portion of their fan base who neither care about Paper Mario or Pikmin. And a portion of that group probably didn't care about animal crossing prior. So for a large number of Nintendo fans, they haven't really had any Nintendo games to buy for a fair few months (almost half a year if you were one of those people who just didn't care about Animal Crossing) It's so weird. You'd think they would want to give people a glimpse of what they at least had to look forward to.
That, and their PR is only getting worse the longer they delay/hold back information for their first party titles as well as Smash DLC

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly, Animal Crossing alone isn't going to be enough to keep the Switch afloat
I honestly think the lack of news is also bad for the health of the Switch's lifetime sales as expectations won't be met with just Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Pokemon: Sword & Shield, and Paper Mario: The Origami King alone.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I honestly think the lack of news is also bad for the health of the Switch's lifetime sales as expectations won't be met with just Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Pokemon: Sword & Shield, and Paper Mario: The Origami King alone.
and we're just about to enter the last third of the year. They've got very little time to get this done

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My guess is that Nintendo's plan for the rest of 2020 is this:
  • Any first party titles still TBA this year will be announced on Twitter and other social media platforms
  • Any third party titles will be announced in partner showcases
  • Any Smash reveals will be done separately in their own segments like with Byleth where we get gameplay and release info as well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Definitely not expected today! And it's a mini. I wonder what nate will say about it, he's the one everyone believed for it being a bigger one on friday.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, it's entirely possible we'll find out who FP7 is before the 14th, so it's going to be a little while longer

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, if the next amiibos are announced, then the next character reveal isn't too far from the date being released.

MattX20

Smash Hero
For now, if the next amiibos are announced, then the next character reveal isn't too far from the date being released.
The next wave of amiibos are slated to release on the 25th, and most likely FP7 will be revealed and released before that

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The next wave of amiibos are slated to release on the 25th, and most likely FP7 will be revealed and released before that
I do have my doubts about that, since that'd then just lead Sakurai to censor their release dates as well, something along the lines of Q1 2021, which would only fuel this unhealthy trend of speculation in this information drought.

As for the September dates, that was sort of what I was thinking as well

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do have my doubts about that, since that'd then just lead Sakurai to censor their release dates as well, something along the lines of Q1 2021, which would only fuel this unhealthy trend of speculation in this information drought.

...Why would that even be needed at all? Last I checked, Nintendo never ordered 7/11 or whomever to take down ads or change dates on a whim for upcoming Smash stuff simply because fans talk too much about them for one of their actual few proven patterns, it'd needlessly cause headaches for the marketing department.

The only thing that would prompt that is...the thing that starts with "C", and so far things haven't been severe enough to impede marketing this much.

Until then, we'll see if anything happens at all on Friday or the next couple of weeks before the big 35 of :ultmario:.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

...that's what I meant was that FP7 would likely release in September

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
As far as I see, Gamescom hasn't started and we're not Friday yet, so we'll see what happens by the end of the week. We're in an extremely unusual time.

Also, I never knew I wanted Don-Chan RPGs until now.
As a gigantic fan of the series, I've played just about every DS / PSP release, including the JP only ones. There were a couple with RPG elements, especially this one, http://nintendo5star.blogspot.com/2010/04/taiko-no-tatsujin-ds-dororon-youkai-no.html, and I had loved that game! I haven't played the original 3DS RPGs that the new Switch release is packaging up, but you can bet that'll be a day 1 purchase for me. I loved playing the arcade games when I lived in Japan, I love the mobile releases, and I like the recent Switch / PS4 one. Super excited, should be great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so, at the very least we'll hear Smash/Mario news shortly before October starts. Failing that, we'll hear of them before the end of October, after Pikmin 3 DX and Cadence of Hyrule's third and final DLC pack releases. If the employees haven't locked themselves into the main building until it's safe to leave.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, so, at the very least we'll hear Smash/Mario news shortly before October starts. Failing that, we'll hear of them before the end of October, after Pikmin 3 DX and Cadence of Hyrule's third and final DLC pack releases. If the employees haven't locked themselves into the main building until it's safe to leave.
Most likely going by the amiibo release date in late September we'll get an idea of who FP7 is before then

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im thinking about something whats likely to happen next Tuesday? they make a twitter update in regards to Smash every tuesday right?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That's normally announcements for spirit events and tournaments on the Japanese Twitter account for Smash https://twitter.com/smashbrosjp
its usually spirit event, tournament, spirit event, tournament, and no event if a big announcement comes that week right? the amiibos come out on 25th of September, we 4 weeks left. I think we will get it in the second week of Spetember, next week is tournament, and then next next week is a reveal.

MattX20

Smash Hero
its usually spirit event, tournament, spirit event, tournament, and no event if a big announcement comes that week right? the amiibos come out on 25th of September, we 4 weeks left. I think we will get it in the second week of September, next week is tournament, and then next next week is a reveal.
That is what the current speculation is leading towards is on or before the 14th

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
A random subject...

Say if Shantae is a fighting game character, not Smash but traditional, how would her transformations work?
Seven Sirens way or original way or something else?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
A random subject...

Say if Shantae is a fighting game character, not Smash but traditional, how would her transformations work?
I think the Seven Sirens way would be an easy transition. I picture her working like Arakune does in Blazblue with all her moves (or at least some) taking a different shape / form. That blob from Clayfighters functioned like that too.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
A random subject...

Easiest way to implement it would be to make them animations for her special input attacks. I'd imagine her playing like a Darkstalkers character where most of her attacks involve her transforming into all her different forms for her moves. In fact, thinking about that makes me think she would be a perfect fit for the Darkstalkers universe. I mean, nearly all of them transform their body parts into ridiculous things for their various moves, And her being part genie puts her well within the realm of the super natural...

If only Capcom would give that series another chance, or higher another studio to make it for them.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
She actually would fit into a Darkstalkers moveset pretty well, haha. Hopefully she cameos in some sort of fighting crossover, if not smash, just because she seems like she’d fit in pretty naturally.
I don't know if they have the experience to pull off a fighting game, but I would love seeing the Darkstalkers characters given a WayForward spin.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Easiest way to implement it would be to make them animations for her special input attacks. I'd imagine her playing like a Darkstalkers character where most of her attacks involve her transforming into all her different forms for her moves. In fact, thinking about that makes me think she would be a perfect fit for the Darkstalkers universe. I mean, nearly all of them transform their body parts into ridiculous things for their various moves, And her being part genie puts her well within the realm of the super natural...

If only Capcom would give that series another chance, or higher another studio to make it for them.
I dunno, are you prepared to see her get bloodily cut in half?

Anyway, a game like this could be seen as a glimpse of how Shantae could possibly look in 3D while keeping her sprite proportions:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I'm going to post an....embarrassing thread I posted on Gamefaqs, I admit this cause despite the fact I get really heated and angry towards a certain user on the Smash Bros Ultimate Board on there, it brings up a topic I see sometimes (usually from that irritating user)

for those who don't want to read it, basically the argument the guy always brings up is WayForward begged Nintendo to get Shantae stuff in Smash and that makes them a ****ty and bad company alongside begging the fans to vote for Shantae in the kickstarter emails during the time of the ballot.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Quick question: why do you willingly go onto that cesspool of a website for anything other than egregiously long walkthroughs for games?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking for Wonder Boy Asha's return, I don't think it looks great compared to her first appearence on the genesis.

Though, I do hope that's not the final product when finished

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Alright, with no expectations of a major Nintendo Direct anytime soon, I think it would be poignant to talk about the GBC reproduction run. When do you guys think that LRG will announce it? Would you think it'd be within two weeks or later on? IIRC they and Wayforward have said that they hope to do preorders in September

Dukefire

Smash Master
For LRG, they would do their announcement for the physical copy re-release in early September. For the actual release, maybe in the third week of spetember.

Also, for smash ultimate, it has been almost 2 months since Min Min's arrival. So it could be time, but its up to Sakurai for the announcement since he is doing these character presentations separately from directs.

Top Bottom