• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What would be a good up-b for shantae besides the canon shot?

Harpy flight I guess would be one, but what else?
The Octo fusion in Seven Sirens is pretty much the same thing as the cannon, just non-damaging and one jump less. Consider the Harpy flight a temporary upgrade with the appropriate dance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The Octo fusion in Seven Sirens is pretty much the same thing as the cannon, just non-damaging and one jump less. Consider the Harpy flight a temporary upgrade with the appropriate dance.
It'd be weird but funny if she transformed into the octo form for that. I think i'd see more the harpy for smash, since it's weird for an octopus to show up for a high jump, but who knows.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It'd be weird but funny if she transformed into the octo form for that. I think i'd see more the harpy for smash, since it's weird for an octopus to show up for a high jump, but who knows.
And it's not weird for a squid to? That's pretty much how an Inkling super jump works.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And it's not weird for a squid to? That's pretty much how an Inkling super jump works.
I meant it's weird for shantae to turn into a squid over a harpy to get some air. ;p
If they had to choose, i think they'd go with the flying creature.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I meant it's weird for shantae to turn into a squid over a harpy to get some air. ;p
If they had to choose, i think they'd go with the flying creature.
Hence my suggestion to use dances to alter moves and get the best of both worlds.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I could actually see the Canon being her down aerial. Working a lot like Mega Man's Hard Knuckle.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I could actually see the Canon being her down aerial. Working a lot like Mega Man's Hard Knuckle.
I suppose that'd be better than a downwards moving kick like so many got and that people don't like that much XD

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I suppose that'd be better than a downwards moving kick like so many got and that people don't like that much XD
Plus it opens up space for other specials. And it could still have some recovery potential since Min Min has a non special move that works as a reflector. Imagine Shantae having a jump, double jump, single canon shot boost an then a a Harpy transformation for her up air. So much recovery lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Plus it opens up space for other specials. And it could still have some recovery potential since Min Min has a non special move that works as a reflector. Imagine Shantae having a jump, double jump, single canon shot boost an then a a Harpy transformation for her up air. So much recovery lol
Lol alright. Just make her op, im fine with that XD

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If you use the cannon, I think it would be the best for Smash. Jet Octo is just used for utility and doesn't do any damage, which would make it one of the worst recovery options in the game. Harpy is similar to Meta Knight or Pit's normal jump, and giving it some sort of glide would present the exact same issues they've already removed from past games. The cannon, in my mind, would shoot either 1 or 2 cannonballs depending on user input. Using them on top of someone would meteor.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If you use the cannon, I think it would be the best for Smash. Jet Octo is just used for utility and doesn't do any damage, which would make it one of the worst recovery options in the game. Harpy is similar to Meta Knight or Pit's normal jump, and giving it some sort of glide would present the exact same issues they've already removed from past games. The cannon, in my mind, would shoot either 1 or 2 cannonballs depending on user input. Using them on top of someone would meteor.
Up-b doesnt really matter to me so long as it's decent recovery :p
Lots of moveset potential all around anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Apparently there is a glitch with K.Rool's cannon ball with the Franklin badge currently and ONLY the Blunderbluss in the current patch.
A character can't be a base for another unless they're a similar size to each other. Shantae and K. Rool are nowhere close to being the same size from one another. Shantae would have to be a heavyweight or similar size to Rosalina for K. Rool to be her base which I see would be VERY unlikely.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A character can't be a base for another unless they're a similar size to each other. Shantae and K. Rool are nowhere close to being the same size from one another. Shantae would have to be a heavyweight or similar size to Rosalina for K. Rool to be her base which I see would be VERY unlikely.
They don't actually have to be, like banjo and ridley. But i mentioned it'd be about borrowed animations not base. People tend to stick with old idea sometimes tho.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They don't actually have to be, like banjo and ridley. But i mentioned it'd be about borrowed animations not base. People tend to stick with old idea sometimes tho.
Technically, Ridley isn't a heavyweight even though he does look like one in size. They did this to balance out his speed to make him faster while not making him too heavy either.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Technically, Ridley isn't a heavyweight even though he does look like one in size. They did this to balance out his speed to make him faster while not making him too heavy either.
I meant regarding the size, since it's quite different from banjo. Some of the animations with kazooie do have more to it, though i dont know if the hit boxes are big at all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know about the hitboxs though.
In any case, i think people make too much of base characters. They probably just pick them for some things and then copy stuff from other ones too.

I just wonder if the visual bugs do really have to do with the new dlc characters. It'd be interesting if yes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Um, hitbox-less recoveries are usually some of the best at that purpose. And it's not like the cannon would be much better at defending when it shoots down and most threats come from above. I certainly don't hear Gunner players saying Lunar Launch is a better recovery than Arm Rocket.

The harpy mode in my dancing stance moveset changes both her regular jumps to multiple Harpy flaps, and turns her normal recovery into free-flight akin to Winged Pikmin, Balloon Trip or Robo Burner, albeit with lots of inertia.

His weight is still well above average, he's just not super heavy.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
The only pirate item Shantae is likely to use at this point is a scimitar. Most anything else can be replicated with magic and transformations, especially post Seven Sirens.
Y'all are sleeping on the captain's hat.

There's next to nothing in terms of competition for the jump button, and it provides a nice free alternative for a horizontal recovery.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Y'all are sleeping on the captain's hat.

There's next to nothing in terms of competition for the jump button, and it provides a nice free alternative for a horizontal recovery.
You can't really use the hat as a jump. It provides no lift on it's own, and other parachuting moves required a launch of some kind first. It will most likely follow an expended cannon, if anything.

There is also the fact that most of the pirate gear seems to be one of a kind, or at least Risky seems to the sole manufacturer. Nobody else except her, the Pirate Master and the Tinkerbats are shown using them, let alone in the special ways they're known for. But scimitars? Those things are everywhere, so it wouldn't be weird at all for Shantae to have one.

Last edited:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't believe it personally but just to throw the idea out there, Elephant Shantae as a form, partially based of K.Rool's data.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, though nowadays people criticize his advertisements and episode quality regardless what happens. Not a perfect situation by any means, but his integrity's kept.
And that's fair, but I like the episodes still and understand the adds what with how youtube is anymore. My point is he hasn't been abusing or otherwise mistreating people like we have seen from other people in the public eye.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bases for DLC characters are absolutely needed to make development easier. Even characters in racing games make use of them.

And that's fair, but I like the episodes still and understand the adds what with how youtube is anymore. My point is he hasn't been abusing or otherwise mistreating people like we have seen from other people in the public eye.
It helps that he's independent for the most part, without needing to be a recluse like some artists tend to be.

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Honestly, concerning this whole Lab Zero thing I'm just worried about Indivisible. I'm still trying to hunt down a physical copy.

That and the DLC that's still supposed to come. Shantae's in there after all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I feel like Indivisible DLC is dead at this point. Mike completely killed the studio...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Because folks say the regular game is too easy.

Oh, it's definitely harder alright, but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons. Not a fan of scrambling to find sunscreen and the bubble mechanic is awkward as hell, and Somecallmejohnny wasn't kidding when he said that you pretty much have to take the hit while using it to climb the sand tower.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This sheds some light on how this indie crossover brawler's roster came about:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._a_smash-style_brawler_with_indie_game_heroes
Between Bounty Battle and Rivals of Aether, it seems like it's going to be a good September for Smash-like games on the Switch. I haven't seen much of Bounty Battle in terms of gameplay, though hopefully it's good - I'm only familiar with four or five of the franchises involved, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Raz from Psychonauts in a Smash-like game. (if it is similar to Smash - it's hard to tell through screenshots)

I'm surprised that Shantae hasn't made into any Smash-like games. Not this, not Rivals of Aether, not even Brawlout, Brawlhalla, or Indie Pogo. The closest that I can think of is Runbow, a platformer game, where she was added as free DLC, or Blaster Master Zero, but neither of those are fighting games.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Between Bounty Battle and Rivals of Aether, it seems like it's going to be a good September for Smash-like games on the Switch. I haven't seen much of Bounty Battle in terms of gameplay, though hopefully it's good - I'm only familiar with four or five of the franchises involved, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Raz from Psychonauts in a Smash-like game. (if it is similar to Smash - it's hard to tell through screenshots)

I'm surprised that Shantae hasn't made into any Smash-like games. Not this, not Rivals of Aether, not even Brawlout, Brawlhalla, or Indie Pogo. The closest that I can think of is Runbow, a platformer game, where she was added as free DLC, or Blaster Master Zero, but neither of those are fighting games.
The gameplay didn't look that great from what I saw, but it could still be fun, i'll definitely be looking at how competitive players find it.

As for Shantae, it's possible WF is being a little conservative with her appearances, dunno.
We used to talk about how maybe it's to save her chastity for smash XD (including in case of contracts)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Surely, the release date for Rivals of Aether will eventually get unveiled. Wouldn't be shocked if it's out on the last day of the month.

Yeah, it's conspicuously odd. For as much as they want her exposure to expand, they've done relatively little about it. It's not like they have a bad reputation with other indies.

As for Shantae, it's possible WF is being a little conservative with her appearances, dunno.
We used to talk about how maybe it's to save her chastity for smash XD (including in case of contracts)
We really don't know why they're doing it at this point. We don't have enough evidence to tell for sure, so all we can do is wait until the truth comes up.

Top Bottom