• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown VI [Feb 6-8]

Villyness

Dedicated Protector
NNID
SuckerFlash
3DS FC
2664-2676-2381
Hey guys, I left a pair of blue glasses at the hotel near one of the smash 4 setups. Did anyone pick it up? Thanks in advance!

Villyness

Dedicated Protector
NNID
SuckerFlash
3DS FC
2664-2676-2381
Cheers Leisha! I'll get it from Dean as soon as I can.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I heard venue was supposed to close even at 9pm...lol

Anyways, quick shoutouts:

Dread/Joey/Max/Izzago: Thanks for running the tourney, I'm sure as always it was stressful but we all appreciate the work you put in.

Atticus: BL on your singles, I know you can perform a lot better and will be hoping to see you surpass your own high standards. Thanks for teaming with me in PM, we were almost there, but just fell short haha.

Skeletom: Congrats on your performance, we can definitely see who was carrying who in teams haha, was great teaming with you again, I always have heaps of fun.

SD: Dude I forgot me 5....

Splice: Yo Billy, shoutouts to always remembering to rep EMO out of all the EMO crew....we're bad :(

Hobobloke/Vlade: I got stomped so hard in pools, and then got schooled us in teams too, that was nuts haha. Was nice talking to you guys and learning about your scene in general. Also cheers for the support you guys gave me and earning me that $5 ;)

Sorry if I forgot anyone, just rushing this but GGs

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Tom learning like me that losers s.d is real AF.

But hells yeah skeletom boo Sydney s.d scum.

Also emo mad buster crew without me or dekar there. Our power comes as a team to make captain planet aka dekars falcon.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Overall was great, thankyou to the TOs.

I know amateurs don't mean a lot to you guys that are fully sick max apm professional players, but for those of us just outside that they are awesome. With that in mind, a top player like Jamwa shouldn't have been in the PM amateur bracket, common sense please.

Izzago

Overall was great, thankyou to the TOs.

I know amateurs don't mean a lot to you guys that are fully sick max apm professional players, but for those of us just outside that they are awesome. With that in mind, a top player like Jamwa shouldn't have been in the PM amateur bracket, common sense please.
Amateurs was just a little fun thing. Smash 4 Amateurs was cancelled though lol.
Jamwa shouldn't have been in the PM one, I don't know why he was, but whoever put him in probably had a good reason.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Yep and not letting him play just cause he was"too good" defeats the purpose of putting everyone who didn't make it into bracket in a tournament. He didn't make bracket like everyone else, be fair. Unless you just wanted a free win bracket and johning hard

Splice

Smash Hero
He entered the tournament and didn't make it into pro bracket. That is how you qualify for amateur bracket.

common sense please

Izzago

Yep and not letting him play just cause he was"too good" defeats the purpose of putting everyone who didn't make it into bracket in a tournament. He didn't make bracket like everyone else, be fair. Unless you just wanted a free win bracket and johning hard
Question is answered. I forgot all about the DQ lmao.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
He didn't make bracket like everyone else, be fair. Unless you just wanted a free win bracket and johning hard
Not making pro bracket by not actually playing in pools is completely different to not making bracket by playing in pools and not making it through. 15 players in the amateur bracket got there by playing and not qualifying, a single highly seeded player did not play and got there, this is hardly "like everyone else".

This has nothing to do with me wanting "a free win bracket" and everything to do with wanting valuable tournament sets with other players on a similar level. I was particularly looking forward to having a serious set with Naga if we both made it that far.

For players like myself the amateur bracket does mean a lot, I would not have turned up so early if I weren't excited about it. If you looked at it from my point of view you would understand how putting a player like Jamwa in there completely ruined the experience.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this discussion would be happening if it wasn't Jamwa who got DQed. If it was someone who no one knew he would have just been thrown into amateurs.

Regardless, a final ruling for future amateur brackets is probably needed.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
The whole point of amateur bracket is to let amateurs have a shot at some tournament bracket experience and sense of accomplishment without the inevitability of getting stomped by the people good enough to make it into pro bracket. Letting DQs in means the purpose gets defeated when something like this happens.

Hughie

Smash Lad
If S.D got DQed from Melee due to lateness, would you put him in amateurs? DQs shouldn't be put in amateurs under any circumstances. If they aren't able to adhere to the schedule of the tournament, then they should be punished for doing so.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
I got told to put anyone who didn't make it into pro bracket into amateurs. Apologies if it screwed anyone up, but obviously it's a wrong thing to do and I'll fix that next time.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Like in the end you have two bad situations:

A: People who got DQ'd and wouldn't make pro bracket anyway don't get to play amateur because they got DQ'd.

B: People who got DQ'd and would make pro bracket if they didn't get DQ'd, then go on to stomp the amateur.

Option B results in players who didn't break any rules or get DQ'd losing out on enjoyment by being stomped/having an unfair bracket (as pointed out by Plasia) where as option A results in the players who broke the rules and got DQ'd being punished instead.

Obviously in any situation TO discretion would over-rule all and they can bend the rules to result in the fairest and most enjoyable outcomes for everyone, but having option A as an actual rule should be something we should look at going forward in order to prevent things like this happening again. we just have to choose the lesser of 2 evils in this situation.

In the end it's lesson learned, we move on and as a TO group we become better. Dreadtech took the fall here and he is only human (but he is the water stinger cmon m8) but it means we now can cover ourselves by pre-stating the rule "if you fail to make pro bracket due to being DQ'd, you do not get to enter Amateur bracket" in order to stop at least this situation from occurring again.

Last edited:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Jamwa causing dat drama :p

But yeah I agree with Redact, it would be like Dekar getting DQ'ed for being late then entering amateurs to roflstomp everyone.

Anyway, its better the mistakes were made here so for future events like BAM it wont happen =)

Anyway I took a few photos at the event. I kept forgetting to take any though so there isnt much x=. I'll take more at the monthlies then heaps at bam :D

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts:

Big thanks to Izzago, Dread, Joey and all other who helped run this tournament. Apart from a few issues that weren't you fault i felt that it all ran pretty smoothly.

SD: Thanks heaps for the matches. Playing against someone, such as yourself, where every mistake can lead to death really forces me to step up. I know you were disappointed in the lack of closure but we'll sort it out at the next tourney.

Forte: Thanks for the team again, i feel like we're starting to develop a bit of synergy and i'll always be happy to do it again.

Joey: Your self-commentary was ****ing hilarious, you should definitely do it again. Always good hanging out with you whether it's on commentary or just generally. I won't ditch beers next time.

Max: Great work on the stream, it's looking super crispy and professional! Also, stop SD'ing and play like you do in friendlies!

Earl: Good work on Smash4 and keep it up in melee, i'm super keen to see you get better and start taking names. Always happy to help another falcon out.

Meredyse: Pick a character and stick with it. i feel that you will benefit from learning one character more intricately than learning a multitude of them.

Something that i've been working really hard on improving at the moment has been my mindset. I'm a pretty emotional player (as most of you will have noticed and as Joey mentioned during one of my sets), I ride off my highs but i also defeat myself in a lot of matches.

One thing I have been trying recently has been Mindfulness. This is something that a lot of top players have mentioned recently (even if they haven't used that term) and it's even something that my work uses for our clients who have had extremely traumatic childhoods. Mindfulness is taking the time to clear your mind and focus on the now (eg. the sights, sounds, smells etc.).

It's a really good technique if you're stressing about an upcoming set or shaking from the adrenaline of a win. Go for a walk (or just change locations), stop thinking (especially about smash) and tune into your senses.

Last edited:

ViVa

Smash Ace
Shoutouts (If I forgot to mention you sorry)

All of my pools opponents: GGs.
All of the teams Dean and I played: GGs.
Lee: GGs was cool to see a bowser player.
Dean: Sorry we didn't win doubles my bad. GGs in singles. mario 2 cheap 2 ez.
Attila: Sorry I keep winning with cheap lucky bs. Sorry I broke the rule about having to win the tournament after beating you. GGs in doubles and singles and congrats on winning doubles.
Tibs: GGs in doubles. Sorry about LF and about not playing casuals with you afterwards. Pls no destroy me next tournament.
Earl: I thought Tibs was the final boss of this tournament but I guess it was you the whole time. Was not ready for your mac. Probably because I expected to meet Tibs in WF and not you. I ****ed up. Very good games. Congrats on ko punching my dumb ass outta the tournament and taking that 1st place. GGs in doubles too.
V: Was weird not having to fight you at all. Dean so mean wow.
Leish: Go home you're drunk.
Bryce: Thanks for lonk amiibo bby.
Guys I played the dumb 8-player smash ffas with: Lol that was dumb lets do it again never/ next tournament.
Guys that had cool shirts: Nice shirt.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
ViVa sorry for hitting you in teams. Good job beating me I ain't even mad.
Leisha R.O.B. huggles are fun. Autocorrect tried to change that to R.O.B. juggles, which are not fun.
S.D the Smash 4 master.
Deez bad luck for missing bracket.
Pools guys you're all cool.
V sorry for beating you. Losers bracket sorry for beating V.
Tibs that's the worst Pikachu I've ever seen.
Ledge no I will not play friendlies with you.
TOs good job guys.
Hyperkitty, if that is your real name, I'm so glad somebody likes my sarcasm.
Bryce you're a cool guy.
Guy who played Duck Hunt four-ways with us, I hope you got what you were expecting.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
So um, I'm rather new at this and despite the smaller turnout compared to last years Shadowloo, i had a lot of fun. Thanks everybody!

Quick shoutouts

my non smasher m8 Chris for sharing a hotel room with me

SD, for playing a few PM friendlies after getting utterly destroyed (don't sleep on PM Ganon!)

Everyone (i forget all the names) in my Pools/amatuer bracket

Fudge, for the session 2 days before SS!

Toshiba, for giving me the funniest match on stream (and a superb whooping)

Meredyse, for playing some silly IC ditto matches- thanks for the encouragement

Song, for almost giving me a run for my money (awesome games dude, i was right on edge!!!)

and finally 1ampercent, for having a huge amount of PM friendlies, and discussions about a whole load of things! you're the best dude! Make people PHEAR TEH PHIRE!!!

If i forgot anybody, just remember, i still love you ;)

Last edited:

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
I'll make this quick. Sorry to anyone I missed.

Tournament was great for the most part. People disappearing when they're supposed to be playing is a pain, it's as simple as just checking in with the TO desk if you need to get your matches going, guys!

Thanks to all the TO staff for what they do, @ dreadtech dreadtech , @joeyjoeyjoejoe , @ Izzago Izzago , @ Hardpelicn Hardpelicn etc. I had a crack it for the first time on the weekend (chasing down pools players etc) and it made me appreciate the amount of cat herding that is required. I actually enjoyed it though, along with babysitting the stream and updating overlays etc. Hopefully I can get to do more of it in future.

Thanks to those who commentated on my matches (and all commentators, really), hopefully I can learn from their advice too.

Thanks to everyone in my pools and brackets. Whether I beat you or you beat me, I had a good time and it helps me improve as a player, either by analysing my losses or being able to observe and offer advice to people whose position I was once in. I'm starting to care more about my losses though, I'm not sure whether is a good or a bad thing.

Thanks Sadi for being my doubles partner again and again and for hanging out in general. No more PM DK for me but I might have to find a new melee doubles main.

Thanks Tuoko for giving me a pocket Marth after getting wrecked by Peach in Melee.

And lastly, thanks to @1ampercent for hanging out with my young niece on Saturday and playing PM friendlies for almost an hour, along with anyone who said hello to her. She's a bit quiet but her PM skill is improving in time for BAM7. Will likely give @Basty a run for his money in May!

As for my goals, I think I may have plateaued in terms of how good I can get without putting in serious work, which may not be possible. I'm keen to explore the possibility of formalising the compiling stats and results on the Victorian scene, rankings and so on and using them as data for commentators to utilise. Player histories etc.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
lmao look at all these noobs getting mad ahahaha

bm aside, i told joey on the day i had no issue with being removed from amateurs. no one had said anything though, so next time if there's an issue make sure you say something to a TO or someone cool and important like me

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
lmao look at all these noobs getting mad ahahaha

bm aside, i told joey on the day i had no issue with being removed from amateurs. no one had said anything though, so next time if there's an issue make sure you say something to a TO or someone cool and important like me
I'll make you a deal. You teach me how to play PM and I'll teach you how to set an alarm :201l::201o::201l:

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Shortouts to Earl for winning with Mac. I didn't think it could be done; I can't see it happening again. Pick a different character pls. You're too smart for that guy.

I'm not sure where I stand on smash 4 currently; I either still don't understand it, or I genuinely don't like it. Not sure at this point. I'm trying to like it, at least until bam, but I really don't want to play this game currently. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Splice

Smash Hero
shoutouts to Perth folk
Good to see you guys, hope the trip was worthwhile although the tourney may have been a bit underwhelming to what you expected. Didn't get to play Alister at all but at least we could talk briefly. GG's to Hobobloke in singles, felt good to beat you I have to say :D Didn't think I'd be able to beat you with GnW but wasn't expecting my Falco to be that effective and on-point. Thanks for inspiring me to main Bowser now also :) GG's to both of you in doubles
Nice to meet Roman albeit briefly.
Always good to catch a Salty Pete in the wild too

shoutouts to Smash4 people
GG's to Nicks, congrats on actually getting good seeding and then wasting it. Thanks for the $5 though, congrats on beating Dreadtech and I in doubles. Unfortunate you did not win but at least it's back to the Brawl days where it's Team Awesome vs. Golden Pair every tourney.

GG's to V and Tibs, should've beat both of you D: sour.
V I gotta learn how Villager Dair works, and I think it'd be cool if you worked on Ness a bit more. I think he's a bit better than Villager even though your Villager traps are very hard for people to get around.

GG's to Leisha and again to V, for that doubles set. That Sonic rampage was the best thing I did all weekend

Congrats to Earl. Great to see you come back and dominate, I love it.
Attila, just main Melee.

shoutouts to PM dudes
Especially Hobs for defeating me in pools
Moxie for always having the scariest sets (you don't seem to be phased but it always gets me shaking)
Hobobloke again for being good. Ploughed through most of our state, even me at first ;)
SD for being too good. Mario's fireball trajectory is too hard to powershield how can I win?

Shoutouts to melee guys
Grats to Skeletom

shoutouts to anime crew heads
Flog for being hospitable and going drone metal at shadowloo day 2
Max for being a great dude and putting a lot of effort into the stream and all that goes on there. I hope we can achieve your aspirations one day and get the smash house and legit streaming going.
Jamwa for being a fimbler IRL as well as in-game

shoutouts to dreadtech
thanks for putting in work in doubles, getting better at the fundamentals. Thanks for all the help with smash4 in the past few weeks and organising going to Attila's to practice. You're very understanding and willing, and a good friend that I value
shoutouts to dom and simon, good to see ya's

Thanks to Joey, Dreadtech, Izzago, Max, and Dom for their work assisting the tournament in any capacity, whether it be TOing or helping with equipment. It was a good effort and the stream seemed to go quite well

Last edited:

Villyness

Dedicated Protector
NNID
SuckerFlash
3DS FC
2664-2676-2381
Shoutouts for last few days~

ggs Splice. Those games we had were very close. I think the next time we play I might have to switch to Ness cause Villager absolutely hates Sanic in terms of MU and I just felt too much pressure overall.
I am trying to work on Ness. He's my main goal atm as he's very dusty from all the time I've poured into Villager over him. Hopefully he'll be in tip-top shape by BAM. :)
And awesome games in doubles, great teamwork and victory 'YES' at the end. It was pretty epic. xD

dreadtech thanks for chatting with me and discussing some Sheik MUs. You're an awesome dude. :D

ggs Leisha thanks for teaming with me in doubles. :D
I should play you more to help with the Villager MU. It's kind of harsh for ROB cause you're pretty tall + gyro = non-existent and I can't really think of anything ROB has on Villager. Other than that, awesome chatting/laughing with you and CURSE YOU AND YOUR AWESOME T-SHIRTS. ;-;

Viva thanks for chatting and playing FFAs. Sad I didn't get to play you but we'll probably play each other next monthly anyway.

MGK a big thanks to you for giving me tips and coaching me about mixups. I feel those are definitely important if I want to be a better player as I get really predictable. Your Bowser Jr's looking good. Looking forward to seeing it next monthly!

ggs Dean being beat by you encourages me to start work on PK Backthrow ASAP. I had a great time playing you regardless and (if you're still going) have fun at QLD!

I forgot your names, but shoutouts to the Link and Samus players I played in pools. I love seeing uncommon characters being played. :)

Also to the TO at the desk (I think it was Izzago?), thanks for chatting and giving some thoughts about what it's like being a TO. :D

Meredy

The Busterina
Meredyse: Pick a character and stick with it. i feel that you will benefit from learning one character more intricately than learning a multitude of them.
Yeah I'm struggling to decide which character I want to stick with. Torn between Fox, Falco and ICs.

Top Bottom