• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown VI [Feb 6-8]

Izzago

Dread/Joey/Max/Izzago: Thanks for running the tourney, I'm sure as always it was stressful but we all appreciate the work you put in.
It wasn't TOO stressful really. MW2 was far more demanding than this was. Actually, its safe to say I had fun! So it was the opposite of work for me.

Big thanks to Izzago, Dread, Joey and all other who helped run this tournament. Apart from a few issues that weren't you fault i felt that it all ran pretty smoothly.
I was shocked. The only reason the stream went over as far as it did was because I am a gigantic moron. Otherwise it was really smooth, which is as much to do with the competitors as it does the TOs!

Thanks to all the TO staff for what they do, @dreadtech , @ joeyjoeyjoejoe joeyjoeyjoejoe , @ Izzago Izzago , @ Hardpelicn Hardpelicn etc. I had a crack it for the first time on the weekend (chasing down pools players etc) and it made me appreciate the amount of cat herding that is required. I actually enjoyed it though, along with babysitting the stream and updating overlays etc. Hopefully I can get to do more of it in future.
If you seriously want to help more, we'll take you up on it! Especially for BAM. We're gonna need so much help that weekend! But as for SS, it was so sick having you at the desk. Great company making the slower moments heaps more enjoyable. You and Dom are GOD TIER for that.

Thanks to Joey, Dreadtech, Izzago, Max, and Dom for their work assisting the tournament in any capacity, whether it be TOing or helping with equipment. It was a good effort and the stream seemed to go quite well
Max made it look easy, he killed it. No better way of saying it.

Also to the TO at the desk (I think it was Izzago?), thanks for chatting and giving some thoughts about what it's like being a TO. :D
Thanks for the chat! It can get a bit boring sitting up at the desk alone with nobody to chat to. Sorry I had to cut the chat short because of TO stuff. If you want to get involved with the behind the desk stuff, please do. We could use more Smash 4 representation.

Meredy

The Busterina
Shoutouts from this busterina.

Izzago: Major shoutouts for coming just to help TO, things ran pretty smoothly. Hope I was able to be somewhat helpful.
Dreadtech: Don't beat yourself up over the cutoff, wasn't your fault in the slightest. Mad props for everything you've done so far for this scene and what you'll continue to do in the future.
Skeletom: Grats on beating Sam in winners' finals and man, sorry about that cutoff ****. Looking forward to the 2nd set to be played at another time.
Joey: Up+B's a hard button to press isn't it?
Benny P: For someone who's still learning the fundamentals of the game and just picking up the ICs, they're good man. Just keep working at it.
Earl: As someone who's seen your name around a lot but never actually met you, it was awesome to get to meet and play you. Shoutouts for wrecking me hard and congrats on 1st in Sm4sh.

Biggest shoutouts go to Leisha and Bryce. You two have very quickly become two amazing friends, especially Leisha. Just being there for me and keeping my spirits up has been super helpful lately with all of the bull**** that's been happening in my life. I've come close to deciding to leave this community before but you two are really helping to keep me coming, I love you guys~

I'll probably do some more later, I'm super dead right now. Slept for 12 hours.

Last edited:

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Proper shout outs later but thanks to all of those who brought their gear - its only through your selflessness do we get anything done.

Big thanks to the other TOs Izzago, SD and especially Dreadtech.

Also big ups to the others in the stream team - Hughie, Dom and of course Max. The stream doubled it followers to 400 in the weekend alone and we were at sub 100 at the start of the year. Please give twitch.tv/melbournemelee a follow, it helps us out a lot. We were hosted by Leffen on Saturday - help us get bigger and that snowball will happen.

Lastly, the twitter - twitter.com/melbournemelee - has also grown 50% over the course of the weekend. Please get in on it as its our direct communication with the States. We have Soft, Reno, Armada, Lucky, D1, Prog and Dogysamich following. By following, you help us reach out to more US smashers.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
The
Shoutouts:

Big thanks to Izzago, Dread, Joey and all other who helped run this tournament. Apart from a few issues that weren't you fault i felt that it all ran pretty smoothly.

SD: Thanks heaps for the matches. Playing against someone, such as yourself, where every mistake can lead to death really forces me to step up. I know you were disappointed in the lack of closure but we'll sort it out at the next tourney.

Forte: Thanks for the team again, i feel like we're starting to develop a bit of synergy and i'll always be happy to do it again.

Joey: Your self-commentary was ****ing hilarious, you should definitely do it again. Always good hanging out with you whether it's on commentary or just generally. I won't ditch beers next time.

Max: Great work on the stream, it's looking super crispy and professional! Also, stop SD'ing and play like you do in friendlies!

Earl: Good work on Smash4 and keep it up in melee, i'm super keen to see you get better and start taking names. Always happy to help another falcon out.

Meredyse: Pick a character and stick with it. i feel that you will benefit from learning one character more intricately than learning a multitude of them.

Something that i've been working really hard on improving at the moment has been my mindset. I'm a pretty emotional player (as most of you will have noticed and as Joey mentioned during one of my sets), I ride off my highs but i also defeat myself in a lot of matches.

One thing I have been trying recently has been Mindfulness. This is something that a lot of top players have mentioned recently (even if they haven't used that term) and it's even something that my work uses for our clients who have had extremely traumatic childhoods. Mindfulness is taking the time to clear your mind and focus on the now (eg. the sights, sounds, smells etc.).

It's a really good technique if you're stressing about an upcoming set or shaking from the adrenaline of a win. Go for a walk (or just change locations), stop thinking (especially about smash) and tune into your senses.
The outcome didn't worry me too much, I was happy if either of us won. However I wanted to give you my best and see who came out on top on the day and give you your chance at a big win. On phone real shouts later.

Villyness

Dedicated Protector
NNID
SuckerFlash
3DS FC
2664-2676-2381
Thanks for the chat! It can get a bit boring sitting up at the desk alone with nobody to chat to. Sorry I had to cut the chat short because of TO stuff. If you want to get involved with the behind the desk stuff, please do. We could use more Smash 4 representation.
I'd actually be all for that. Would love to learn about how everything works and help TO whenever I can since I only play smash 4. Gives everyone else a chance to have friendlies/do their matches in Melee/Project M when Smash 4 stuff is done/during Smash 4.

Izzago

I'd actually be all for that. Would love to learn about how everything works and help TO whenever I can since I only play smash 4. Gives everyone else a chance to have friendlies/do their matches in Melee/Project M when Smash 4 stuff is done/during Smash 4.
Awesome! I'll run you through it all at the next RanBat if you are going to it!

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Thanks everyone for an awesome weekend! Even though the turnout wasn't massive, I still had an awesome time, and we recorded some amazing matches!
Thanks heaps Joey, Dread, Izzago, Hobs, Dom and everyone that helped at the stream/TO desk all weekend! Entering 4 events and keeping the stream running is legit hard and you guys made it so much easier! :D :D :D

Shoutouts to S.D for carrying the bird in doubles, All I really did was Shine+Dair people into you, and we somehow managed to win! Awesome sets in singles too man, sucks you didn't get to finish vs Tom, that set was amazing!

And yeah, Tom, you beast! We need to organise some more Friday night meets w/ drinks, if we got more time to practice together we'd both get crazy CRAZY good, just sayin'! You played amazing on Sunday night, and I'll be there screaming in the crowd at BS for the falcon win!

Billy, Jamie, Flog - cheers for letting me crash at your Sat night Flog! Barry's & Smash theorycrafting is amazing, but **** waking up that early on weekend, my body aint ready for that.

Codie - Double Samus PM doubles is amazing, nothing but that from now on. Billy Flog and I were actually discussing how rediculous characters like Samus would be in PM if people actually put some time into her. Double Samus on PS/FD Super wavedash crawl momentum swapping will actually be ********, and if we can win anything doing that, I'm set for life! :D:D - (If PM doubles is at any tourney again, we should keep doing it!!)
lol sorry hobs/sadistic for shooting hundreds of missles in <5 minutes and somehow winning

Miles - Fark you got good quick, or I've just taken too long a break. wtfman, you wrecked me, I tried so hard and you just bopped me on DL - legit $20mm happening next major we're at! you're ****ed, you have no idea m8e

But yeah, awesome weekend all around! Vods will be up later this week on Youtube, Hope to see everyone at Buttonsmash and BAM, and I'll be bringing my setup to as many tourneys as I can from now on as work has become much more flexible! :D:D:D

WOAH, ALSO, Follow MelbourneMelee on Twitter. So much smash news and other **** comes straight through twitter, everyone needs to get on that! And as Joey said, it's a really useful tool to communicate with US smash players! DOIT!

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Shout outs:

PM Pools:

Forte: Close matches I felt, wasn't playing the best but congrats on the 2 - 0 win. Your Mewtwo is solid and can't wait to vs again. Also, those grab release gimps against SD's ganon was sick, can't wait to learn how to counter it.

Hardpelican: Loved the ganon ditto's in both PM and melee even though I'm not a fan of dittos of any kind. :p Close games as always.

Naga: Your yoshi is really getting there with each tourney. Always up for a friendly if you ever want to vs. :)

Dom: Was impressed with your Link, smart projectile uses have always troubled me and you really took advantage of that. Also, Link's Up B is silly at the ledge against Ganondorf. :p

Hobobloke: THE DOWN TAUNT KILL WITH GANONDORF AND THE FORWARD SMASH KILL WITH BOWSER! So much disrespect going on but I loved every moment of it. Love your Bowser, your edge guarding skills and of course your power shields! You really showed Vic what Bowser can really do! Hope to vs you again some time. :)

Melee Pools:

GG's to everyone that I vsed in melee, it was a really fun pool to be in and had a lot more fun then I thought I was going to have. Not sure if this will be my last melee pool, only time will tell.

Smash 4 Pools:

Gonzalez: Had a really fun set with you. Shame that it had to end with a Ganondorf SD. :(

Bryce: Had a lot of fun in set also, those friendlies before hand really helped me out. I'll always be up for friendlies against you, as your not just a good player, but an awesome guy as well. :)

Tibs: This was a interesting set, was expecting the diddy kong but got the pikachu. I can tell your still learning what exactly pikachu can do but that still didn't stop you from 2 - 0 me. I promise that my Ganondorf / Bowser jr will put a better fight next time. :)

Ledge: This set really opened up my eyes, last time we vsed you bodied my Ganondorf and didn't want to go through that again so I had to pull out the Bowser Jr. I'm really happy that I took a game off of you and that you really viewed my Bowser Jr as a threat. Still love your shiek, your such an impressive competitor and hope to vs you again with my Bowser Jr again. :)

I know there is someone else I vsed but I forget your name.... Sorry about that but hope to vs you again.

PM Pro Bracket:

Vlade: Such amazing set this was and couldn't ask for more hype then it got. Was so happy to play against such an skillful player on stream and to study up my ganondorf. Loved your Pikachu, keep at him even though the nerfs have been a set back. Hope to vs you again and see all the perth boys back again, you all are amazing players.

DreadTech: Very close set, even though it was a 2 - 0, each game ended up being a 1 stock and game 1, I SD'ed which might have been the game changer, but we'll never know. Hope to vs your toon link again as I need as much practice as I can get against Projectile heavy characters. Keep up the great work as a player but also as a TO, we need you. :)

Smash 4 Pro Bracket:

Attila: I knew I really didn't have a chance against your DHD as Ganondorf or Bowser Jr, but with each match, I shall learn slowly. Your an amazing player and thanks for the tips you gave me, much appreciated. :)

Lee: Very solid Bowser, always fun to vs a heavy, powerful character with ganondorf as it can go either way and percentages doesn't matter at all. Keep it up, hope to vs again.

Leisha: Had a lot of fun against your Rob, I can really tell you love your character and that will take you far. Next time we vs, I'll try my luck with ganondorf, so prepare yourself for some hard hitting plays. :)

I'll also like to Shout out to Jamwa and Playsia for there commentary on my Ganondorf in PM and calling me Bizzaro Flame. I try my best to be the next Bizz. :p

Shout outs to V for listening to me ramble on and on...... and on. :p I'm glad that I helped you out and I'll always be there for you as your an amazing player who is dedicated. You have huge potential and I'm sure you'll be no.1 soon enough with your amazing Villiager. Keep at it! :)

Lastly, this was an amazing tournament and I had tons of fun. Met new competitors but also amazing people that I can't wait to get to know more about. Hope to see you all at the next Couch Warriors!

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Lastly, the twitter - twitter.com/melbournemelee - has also grown 50% over the course of the weekend. Please get in on it as its our direct communication with the States. We have Soft, Reno, Armada, Lucky, D1, Prog and Dogysamich following. By following, you help us reach out to more US smashers.
WOAH, ALSO, Follow MelbourneMelee on Twitter. So much smash news and other **** comes straight through twitter, everyone needs to get on that! And as Joey said, it's a really useful tool to communicate with US smash players! DOIT!
I've been hearing a lot more about twitter in relation to smash recently, I should start using it more, just followed MelbourneMelee :) You can follow my account here, even if I don't use it much at the moment. Hopefully if more Aussie smashers get on it we can get a good system going!

Last edited:

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
LOST AND FOUND

1 Gamecube controller with a MANETRIC sticker on it
1 set of in-ear earphones, TDK brand

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Shoutz

Mad respect to Dread, Max, Joey, Izz and everyone who helped TO in any capacity or with the stream/commentary.
I'm realising more and more every event that my TO capacity is next to zero due to competing in multiple events so the fact you guys are all there to cover my shortfall is just amazing.
As a side note my future involvement as a TO will be reduced to pre and post event logistics/equipment etc.
There's only so much I can do to help when I'm playing so much, and I'd like to give myself a chance to maximise my potential as a player, so I'll be forced to scale back my involvement as an organiser anyway.

Smash 4
Dean: Plz, we both know you >>>>> me at dis game stop trolling kthx.
Leish: 2G, even tho your CP tried to bop you.
Bilbo: Way to rock me. Jerk.
Ledge: You confused me IRL. A lot. Thanks for releasing me from the S4 bracket though.
Earl: Amazing.
Tibs: do you even hoo hah?

PM
Perth: you guys were great, so good to see you turn out and especially awesome to see the support you showed for one another. I didn't get much scope to chat to you all but hopefully next time.
Hobo: Sick Bowser. Too bad Fox is a better character. GJ on your placement though.
Bill: You stink, plz main Bowser now. Thanks for making me do PM properly though.
BennyP: gippsland OP

Melee
Tom: So G. I'm always super impressed by how you optimise all the little things. You missed the DI on my u throw only ONCE, You hit all your platform techs - nothing comes for free. I'm really starting to see all the hardship of Falcon life turning into something super positive for you, and I'm pretty salty we didn't get to finish our set, which was poised very nicely at 1-1, 4-4. Next time though, the medal is on the line. You should have had your shot on the day, but it wouldn't be smash if something didn't go wrong.

Max: Thanks for teaming up. We had zero communication, I killed you lots, we nearly ****ed up, but we won, so basically we were optimal. Great job with the stream and the swank new headsets, hopefully some of our teams dosh offsets the cost.

Toshi: Put away sword guy, unless you're playing don.

Joey: Are you really good? Or am I really bad?

Codie: You should cc more imo.

DonB: Thanks for the housing, super props on atticus victory. Pretty sure weekend highlight was JJFF and the gang + the legend of swayZ.

Atticus: Buster. You'll be back.

Pools homies: GGs all, esp sadistic/Codie for playing me in every event.

Moxie: Stop getting so good plz. I like winning.

Forte: I owe you money. As usual. Also that dair I did was OP, should have worked and you know it.

New guy tuoko maybe (peach player that played friendlies with us) you're good, keep improving.

Sorry if I missed you.

Last edited:

Pete278

Smash Lord
I didn't really talk to many Eastern people except Star (props for tearing me apart in pools), Joey, Splice and Plasia so I can only give props to those guys, so I'll just shoutout random events.

Shoutouts to:
  • confusing melee commentators by counterpicking Falco to Yoshi's as Jiggly because Splice said it would be hilarious (and it was)
  • not knowing how to take a stock in melee doubles but it being okay because the commentators thought Vlade was the Jiggly
  • being naturally too loud for commentary ;_;
  • Joey for firing shots at me incidentally ;_;
  • the bar for going super heavy on the bitters in my lemon lime bitters
  • not making it out of pm pools because I suck
This was my second Melee tournament ever, with my only Puff experience being in PM, so I'm pretty happy with how I did. I just want to john away all my missed rest punishes because that **** is scary when you've only done it in a different game.

Splice

Smash Hero
Nope that's just Star

But mentally I've been trying to appreciate it as a troll all night because it's amazing
I hope to one day make such a call

Top Bottom