• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
SSV commentary - Make your expression of interest

With Redact's blessings, I will be commentary coordinator at SSV. There will be a live stream and given that this is the biggest Smash tournament in Australia, it is imperative we put our best foot forward. Thus we need to put our best voices behind the mic.

If anyone would like to commentate, please express your interest by PM'ing me or come to me person. If you can include clips of your commentary, find a commentary buddy and include a brief comment on what you can bring to the table, that would be greatly appreciated.

We will choosing people based on their knowledge of the community and of the game, their personalities and as well as their communication skills. Ideally, we will have a wide range of commentators - from every major state and every smash game.

The goal for this commentary is to give the viewer the best representation of Australian smash, and not the best imitation of whatever they've seen on youtube. Please be yourself and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
to ensure a spot and avoid hours of waiting on the day, pre-registration is mandatory
http://www.shadowlogic.com.au/shop
closes a week before the tournament.
I suppose that's fair, its just I'm moving from QLD to Vic and I don't know what the situation will be at the time and I don't know when I'll be 100% confirmed.
I might just come for friendlies if I have to pre reg and get to know everyone

I'm a Jiggs melee main
And a Lucario brawl and PM main

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
10/10 would listen again
Not sure if full joke or half joke.
I can happily provide dumb commentary again with Billy if people actually want that but I'm not going to dedicate effort to eSprotz style commentary because I want to focus on playing and funner stuff soz

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
I can happily provide dumb commentary again with Billy if people actually want that but I'm not going to dedicate effort to eSprotz style commentary because I want to focus on playing and funner stuff soz
Only if I can awkwardly sit behind you both and throw out the occasional remark.

Splice

Smash Hero
I don't think Teds coming so there'll be no-one to correctly inform us after the event that we're all a bunch of assholes

So we should probably give it a miss

Juci

Smash Apprentice
shots fired, maybe next time we should have commentators that know each player lol.

S.D

Smash Master
shots fired, maybe next time we should have commentators that know each player lol.
The key problem we tend to have with commentary, especially in this newfangled age of streaming, is we have on the one hand enthusiastic newcomers flocking to the mic who have very little game knowledge, player knowledge or anything particularly insightful to say (outside of mimmicking popular US catchphrases). No shots at anyone specifically, I think it's great you want to step up and be involved, but it honestly makes me cringe to listen to this type of commentary. Worse still these people tend to want to cast THE WHOLE TIME.

On the other hand is a troop of people well suited to the gig, been around a while, know what's up and have engaging personas/easy to listen to. Problem is they're either too busy or cbf commentating. Hopefully this trend will change.

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
The key problem we tend to have with commentary, especially in this newfangled age of streaming, is we have on the one hand enthusiastic newcomers flocking to the mic who have very little game knowledge, player knowledge or anything particularly insightful to say (outside of mimmicking popular US catchphrases).
I agree wholeheartedly, and I feel I am a pretty big culprit of this. I've taken on a lot of constructive criticism and feedback since ACL, so hopefully if I am given another shot I will have improved in these areas enough before Shadowloo.

Going back and listening to some of the stuff myself and others were saying is worse than the /r/cringe subreddit...

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I agree wholeheartedly, and I feel I am a pretty big culprit of this. I've taken on a lot of constructive criticism and feedback since ACL, so hopefully if I am given another shot I will have improved in these areas enough before Shadowloo.

Going back and listening to some of the stuff myself and others were saying is worse than the /r/cringe subreddit...
As long as all commentator's have this attitude, it will only get better not worse as a whole

S.D

Smash Master

You were willing to step up to the plate and definitely showed signs of capability. There was just some gaps that need plugging and a bit of communication from casters/other commentators could have helped. The fact that you have taken feedback on board rather than taking offense speaks volumes about your potential to improve and character.

My biggest piece of advice for anyone on the mic is to avoid falling into the trap of 'spectator mode' where you just go "oh, wow, woah, nice" - go in armed with some key points you can discuss when the match is stagnant, pick out instances you think are worthy of mention/expansion. Instead of saying 'nice fair' explain WHY it was nice/smart/thought behind it. ANYTHING apart from OH DAYUM BOOM WOMBO COMBO

Rotating people is important and something MLG did really well (one of the few things apparently). It keeps perspectives fresh and avoids stale repetition.

Other pet peeves -

- Stay on topic, don;t start some irrelevant conversation that only you and the other guy are in on.
- Don't talk about yourself, plz leave ego at the door it ain't about you
- Don't get dragged into conversations outside of the commentary panel, if you need to ask questions REMOVE your headset and go get info don't scream at the TO with the mic on.

I know I sound like a nazi here but I really want to see us do something at least semi-pro for SSV. Be yourself on the mic, have fun, make it engaging, have a joke, but keep et classy. Lets get tropical.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
actually don't keep et classy, the stream will be max's setup to melbourne melee

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I feel like someone like me and S.D would be the best commentator duo in any of the games, together we share metric tons of information, think analytically about choices/patterns, and S.D covers my weakness of being BORING :p

<3 I wouldn't mind taking part in commentary in Shadowloo for everything, if people will have me, it's not something I'm going to fight wars/clash with people over.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
as joey posted, please send him a pm if you wish to assist in a commentating role at shadowloo

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I feel like someone like me and S.D would be the best commentator duo in any of the games, together we share metric tons of information, think analytically about choices/patterns, and S.D covers my weakness of being BORING :p

<3 I wouldn't mind taking part in commentary in Shadowloo for everything, if people will have me, it's not something I'm going to fight wars/clash with people over.
<3 shaya. Would be good to have you on the mic imo

Juci

Smash Apprentice
hopefully max will have all the hardware issues sorted by then hes done an awesome job so far.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
hopefully max will have all the hardware issues sorted by then hes done an awesome job so far.
****s all good and ready now.
Does anyone have a decent headset with a good sound cancelling mic that they'd be happy to bring? I have one and I'm too cheap to drop the money for another one that I'd barely ever use. Just running 2 headsets with individual mics makes the stream audio SO MUCH BETTER, deafens out venue and crowd noises for commentators too which is nice.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Nah not a joke, I've heard much worse commentary during melee finals before.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Any headset should work, I say should because I have had problems trying to run multiple USB headsets. Anyone coming to the Thursday meet should bring their headset so we can test it! :D:D

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
****s all good and ready now.
Does anyone have a decent headset with a good sound cancelling mic that they'd be happy to bring? I have one and I'm too cheap to drop the money for another one that I'd barely ever use. Just running 2 headsets with individual mics makes the stream audio SO MUCH BETTER, deafens out venue and crowd noises for commentators too which is nice.
I have a yeti microphone

http://bluemic.com/yeti/

Hughie

Smash Lad
If you really want quality, try these

Seriously though, we are aiming for headsets are we? Watching a stream with heaps of background noise is ew

Splice

Smash Hero
'sif we have wobbling banned wat

It was legal at Miles House and I thought we'd been keeping it legal throughout this year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom