• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I got to play melee with a guy from AZ yesterday. He won overall, but it was almost always last stock. Falcon dittos are legit fun. Who Nairs better?

Also... trying to break 2k posts finally. Conversation heavy on the Sonic boards this week/next week throughout the day should get me there

x10letsgetits

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
that's my point: i'd like to up my post count. Im still not over 2k with them counted. I just lurk until i have something somewhat relevant and credible to say. I've talked more in the last 2 months on these boards probably more than i used to in a 6 month timeframe

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm posting just to see my post count.

Welp, 6 more to go to rank up.

Also, Crimson Shroud is a fun game.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Haven't paid much attention to that. Actually forgot they had things like that lol. Takes me back to the older days of being on other forums and trying to get those post counts up to become a different ranked person. Trying to feel like it mattered, and then becoming and admin and just making your own thing up. lol Then the post count meant nothing. lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
Anyone else completely disgusted when ignorant bloggers and "journalists" try to blame violent crimes on video games? There are multiple stories on the CNN front page about how Adam Lanza was addicted to call of duty and whatnot. I feel like I simply can't facepalm any harder at this stuff than I already have...

If anything, COD taught me that I'll probably die 3 times before I successfully start killing other people so its not worth it...

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
^This

The arguement is moot when we look at our parents/some grandparents era. Very violent cartoons were prevalent like Looney Tunes. Pretty sure we didn't get many mass piano droppers :/

:phone:

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, maybe it was video games in this case, but that doesn't mean you can blame the games. Millions of people (maybe even a billion) play them, and stuff like this doesn't happen with them.

Also, what if it weren't for video games? Does that mean that movies or TV or something else wouldn't do the same thing?

I think the reason it's video games is because it's the most popular, and therefore most likely to be them that influence them. (Them being people without mental health, what we need.)

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Its BS. A PERSON is responsible for their own actions. We don't blame beer ads for all drunk driving incidents, it is a person's choice to get behind the wheel.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I must've misunderstood, you sound like you're agreeing with me. Were you replying to Tesh's die 3 times before you start killing argument?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Anyone else completely disgusted when ignorant bloggers and "journalists" try to blame violent crimes on video games? There are multiple stories on the CNN front page about how Adam Lanza was addicted to call of duty and whatnot. I feel like I simply can't facepalm any harder at this stuff than I already have...

If anything, COD taught me that I'll probably die 3 times before I successfully start killing other people so its not worth it...
lol

im not going to lie, video games are a contributing factor. But people like to lump all video games in one category. which is moronic.

I once heard that CoD or some other shooter was the game that they had people in the armed forces playing so that they could get desensitized and used to killing people in real life. I heard that and I knew things were going to go down hill like 4-5 years ago.

but if you want to say CoD and Mortal Kombat are toogory and violent. Thats fair. but dont act like that kid that goes around on his 3ds playing professor layton and phoenix wright all day is going to be violent all of a sudden. the amount of video games that are like that, are very very small. They just happen to all be the most popular games out. Like god of War, fallout, stuff where blood is spraying every two seconds, and its designed to be as realistic as possible isnt a good look.

stuff like looney tunes and old cartoons arent even close to the same, they were designed to be as far from reality as possible. you had to mentally acknowledge it to be affected by gravity, and you could change clothes just by spinning around really fast. like they are designed for you to have the understanding they they had no basis in reality. but what matters is what the little dude said here.

Yes, maybe it was video games in this case, but that doesn't mean you can blame the games. Millions of people (maybe even a billion) play them, and stuff like this doesn't happen with them.

Also, what if it weren't for video games? Does that mean that movies or TV or something else wouldn't do the same thing?

I think the reason it's video games is because it's the most popular, and therefore most likely to be them that influence them. (Them being people without mental health, what we need.)
Like, this dude is 14 years old, and even he can understand that theres is a problem with mental health in this culture. Why cant the people in charge see that? everyone wants to go after guns and all that, when that clearly is just a side effect. We should be going after the actual source and root cause of the matter. Suicides, Depression and Mental break downs are happening on a level Ive never seen before.

Within the last 2 months, I personally know 1-2 people whove killed themselves and liek 5-6 people who have had complete or near mental breakdowns in addition to having to deal with it myself. That to me shows that theres a big issue with the health of peoples minds right now.
Its BS. A PERSON is responsible for their own actions. We don't blame beer ads for all drunk driving incidents, it is a person's choice to get behind the wheel.

thats because the beer ads ALL say "please drive responsibly" on their ads, thats mandated by law. people are responsible for their ads, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to stop the things that are playing a role in said choices.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
everyone wants to go after guns and all that, when that clearly is just a side effect.
It would also make it WORSE to ban guns (theoretically, obviously)

Just look at illigal drugs. Is that stopping anyone who's a drug addict? I don't think so...

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I went very small scale with those references. Please drink responsibly. Some show a friend taking keys away, some show a man going after a sultry woman, and at the end it's "Please drink responsibly"

Videogames are not the sole influence in society. Movies and music often exemplify violence too, and they get their fair share of critics as well.

All of these are FACTORS, not the scapegoat.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I went very small scale with those references. Please drink responsibly. Some show a friend taking keys away, some show a man going after a sultry woman, and at the end it's "Please drink responsibly"

Videogames are not the sole influence in society. Movies and music often exemplify violence too, and they get their fair share of critics as well.

All of these are FACTORS, not the scapegoat.

IKR. I hate how people blame those factors. Without them, there would be something else to influence it. Even if it's just knowing what guns are.

The main factor is clearly bad mental health, because without that, then it wouldn't have happened at all.

Tesh

Smash Hero
lol

im not going to lie, video games are a contributing factor. But people like to lump all video games in one category. which is moronic.

I once heard that CoD or some other shooter was the game that they had people in the armed forces playing so that they could get desensitized and used to killing people in real life. I heard that and I knew things were going to go down hill like 4-5 years ago.

but if you want to say CoD and Mortal Kombat are toogory and violent. Thats fair. but dont act like that kid that goes around on his 3ds playing professor layton and phoenix wright all day is going to be violent all of a sudden. the amount of video games that are like that, are very very small. They just happen to all be the most popular games out. Like god of War, fallout, stuff where blood is spraying every two seconds, and its designed to be as realistic as possible isnt a good look.

stuff like looney tunes and old cartoons arent even close to the same, they were designed to be as far from reality as possible. you had to mentally acknowledge it to be affected by gravity, and you could change clothes just by spinning around really fast. like they are designed for you to have the understanding they they had no basis in reality. but what matters is what the little dude said here.

Like, this dude is 14 years old, and even he can understand that theres is a problem with mental health in this culture. Why cant the people in charge see that? everyone wants to go after guns and all that, when that clearly is just a side effect. We should be going after the actual source and root cause of the matter. Suicides, Depression and Mental break downs are happening on a level Ive never seen before.

Within the last 2 months, I personally know 1-2 people whove killed themselves and liek 5-6 people who have had complete or near mental breakdowns in addition to having to deal with it myself. That to me shows that theres a big issue with the health of peoples minds right now.

thats because the beer ads ALL say "please drive responsibly" on their ads, thats mandated by law. people are responsible for their ads, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to stop the things that are playing a role in said choices.
To a reasonable adult, god of war, cod and MK are obviously not realistic at all. I can sign on to PSN right now and find 100,000+ people playing blops2 alone and less than 0.1% of them will probably ever even attempt to kill someone else. Mentally ill people can be set off by MANY things. Especially young mentally ill people. I grew up watching violent movies, playing violent games and even seeing some in person and I'm not inclined to randomly kill people for no reason. Scapegoating something thats been around for a few decades is just lazy. Other countries have the same games without such a high murder rate and gun violence.

You once heard? They may have TRIED to use gaming to help soliders get used to killing but i can guarantee you it didn't work. If it did, why are so many gamers too ***** to even throw a punch at someone IRL? Answer that one for me.

Gun control is a perfectly valid issue. Its dumb to tout the "guns dont kill people, people kill people" slogan and ignore that modern guns are super lethal killing machines that weren't even conceivable when the right to bear arms was designed. The world is always going to have crazy people that try to harm innocents and we shouldn't make it any easier than it has to be.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Getting "rid" of guns won't do anything. People would get their hands on them anyways. The people who won't have them are the innocent people, which would make **** worse.

Getting "rid" of drugs didn't do a thing either.

Life

Smash Hero
Gun tech was surprisingly good when the Second Amendment was ratified IIRC. I know rifling was a thing, so guns were pretty accurate. Not a big gun nerd though so IDK everything.

I can understand wanting to restrict fully-automatic spray-and-pray type stuff, but once I'm out of college I'm probably going to look into concealed carry. Like, God forbid if I'm present somewhere there's a shooting, I don't want to be powerless to stop it. Average deaths in mass shootings stopped by police is a double-digit figure (IIRC around 20). Average deaths in mass shootings stopped by armed civilians? Two. Food for thought.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Two doesn't sound big, but in mass shootings, it's a lot better than zero.

Also, if more people are armed, the number could go up.

In Switzerland, i've heard you have to keep a gun in your house 'till a certian point, and that they don't even keep statistics on them cuz they're so low.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Getting "rid" of guns won't do anything. People would get their hands on them anyways. The people who won't have them are the innocent people, which would make **** worse.

Getting "rid" of drugs didn't do a thing either.
Guns are too easy to get. Yes bad people can still get guns, but its far less likely crazy people will get guns so easily. Do you know where Adam Lanza got the guns he used? From someone who legally owned them for self defense/hunting or whatever silly nonsense. I never said no one should have guns, but access to guns should be more limited than it is now. No one should be able to have assault weapons for hunting/self defense because it makes no sense.

Good lord, what kind of people need a gun to kill dumb animals for fun.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
It'd be harder, but you could still get them. Like I said, i've heard that Switzerland requires you to have guns till a certian point, and the gun crimes are too low so they don't keep statistics on them.

Lanza got his guns from there, but that's not the only place he could've gotten them from, and if everyone had guns, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, because the reason it's scary for Lanza to have guns is because no one else does. If everyone had guns, then the number of mass shootings stopped by armed civillians could go up, so it wouldn't be as scary.

Top Bottom