• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Bracket and pools are not the same espy. thus they dont require the same level of detail to create.

Maybe if you TO'd more you'd have a better understanding.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pools are as important as bracket, especially if they aren't just for seeding.

If you make unbalanced pools, you force yourself to eliminate strong players earlier than weaker players. IIRC at Apex the 2nd round of pools kind of forces this because of the odd number of people in each pool. Meaning some pools had three 1st seeds and two 2nd seeds (Espy's pool?) and some pools had two 1st seeds and three 2nd seeds (__X__'s pool). The format obviously locked them into eliminating alot of good players before bracket.

In defense of their seeding however, I don't recall any first round 2nd seeds making it to bracket or even beating the 1st seeds in their pools.

I think tearbear was another victim of lopsided pools. He is probably the only 1st seed that could have done well in bracket if he hadn't been eliminated in 2nd round pools.

Assuming roles were reversed, and Espy had gotten __X__'s bracket, how far could we expect him to go? Maybe he could have beaten NAKAT, and if he didn't perhaps he would have beaten Illmatic in loser's but either way he was going to run into nietono/brood/reflex/mikehaze/ocean/ADHD and i don't see a sonic beating half of these people even the best.

So its a bit hard to attack the accuracy of a method that might result in a 65th placer being better than a 48th placer.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I watched X play Nakat.
I would've beaten him no problem. He had no idea how to play against Sonic at the time. :applejack:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I got some good luck facing Ally first round. Ultimately, despite my placing, this was a considerately difficult bracket.

I lost to Croi, but it really could have belonged to either one of us to advance. Though I have a strong feeling that if I had faced Suzaku instead I would have progressed further into the bracket. What's happened has happened, I've gone to an East Coast Canada tournament and that's all I needed.

To me, it's not about whose the better Sonic in Canada. Me and Meek are both good in our own respectful rights.

[EDIT]

It was fun meeting all the Sonics. Meek, KID, and there was the Québec Sonic player too.

My final travelling experience for Brawl might be WHOBO 5, so I might meet you again, Espy! If you go to that, at least.
When is WHOBO 5? I'd like to go to another national.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I've hosted and cohosted more events than you.
Settle your self down Google. :applejack:
You sure about that buddy?
I watched X play Nakat.
I would've beaten him no problem. He had no idea how to play against Sonic at the time. :applejack:
THE HUBRIS.

Stuff like this is why I laugh when people say im conceited. This ***** is just as egotistical as I am.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm pretty sure. I've been hosting Smash since 2006. Been running and helping to run tournaments ever since. I find it hard to believe you have the same experience when you fail to value the process of setting up decent pools.

You want me to go in detail? I could if you just asked:

It's based off of my observations while watching the match at the time. Nakat didn't know how to handle spindashes and ASC > grabs. He also didn't know how to handle shield pressure from him. X lost because he got too lax and started to commit to camping back too often, which gave Nakat enough time to breathe and regain his grounding. Laser camping the spins and learning X's spring setups from the air gave him opportunities to read and punish with Fox's superior KO power. X never changed his play, so Nakat eventually grabbed hold of the momentum and won the set. Even then, it was damn close.

He didn't know the Sonic match up. I know the Fox match up pretty damn well. It makes sense to claim that I could win based off of those things, which I know you're aware of. You're just trying to make things difficult with your attitude. Coming from you though, it makes sense that you'd aggressively consider a comment like that to be considered egotistical in any way.

Dunno why you have to be complicated all the time. I was being confident. I didn't know it was a crime to be such a thing.

Hell, you want to switch that around? Let's assume you're right, and that my ego is on the level of someone like ESAM 2012 from here on out. You know why people'd call you out on it and not people like me? Because people like you don't know when to zip that hole in your face shut. You have no regard for barriers (for the sake of being polite or the like), and play it off as a sick/mean spirited justification for feeding the competitive drive in people. If you actually practiced your characters as much as your tongue, you'd have some sort of ground to even do that kind of nonsense on (like ESAM above. I don't approve of his boasting, but you have to admit that he does have a reason to do it).

I mean, what you did at APEX when I played against Kel was wrong in every sense of the word in my eyes. Funny, definitely, but just downright toxic. I felt incredibly guilty after I won because I knew I had done so only because you decided to rob him of his focus. Players should be able to tune out the noise, and I've definitely been on the receiving end of trash talk before, but that should never justify being venomous.

Some people have different means to be competitive (or even for just playing the friggin' game), but for the most part, that kind of behavior just doesn't sit well with people like me. At the very least, that attitude sure as hell doesn't work down here in Texas.

Believe it or not, some people have standards beyond your brutish, antagonizing nature. Some people actually value being humble, modest, and kind.:applejack:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure. I've been hosting Smash since 2006. Been running and helping to run tournaments ever since. I find it hard to believe you have the same experience when you fail to value the process of setting up decent pools.

You want me to go in detail? I could if you just asked:

It's based off of my observations while watching the match at the time. Nakat didn't know how to handle spindashes and ASC > grabs. He also didn't know how to handle shield pressure from him. X lost because he got too lax and started to commit to camping back too often, which gave Nakat enough time to breathe and regain his grounding. Laser camping the spins and learning X's spring setups from the air gave him opportunities to read and punish with Fox's superior KO power. X never changed his play, so Nakat eventually grabbed hold of the momentum and won the set. Even then, it was damn close.

He didn't know the Sonic match up. I know the Fox match up pretty damn well. It makes sense to claim that I could win based off of those things, which I know you're aware of. You're just trying to make things difficult with your attitude. Coming from you though, it makes sense that you'd aggressively consider a comment like that to be considered egotistical in any way.

Dunno why you have to be complicated all the time. I was being confident. I didn't know it was a crime to be such a thing.

Hell, you want to switch that around? Let's assume you're right, and that my ego is on the level of someone like ESAM 2012 from here on out. You know why people'd call you out on it and not people like me? Because people like you don't know when to zip that hole in your face shut. You have no regard for barriers (for the sake of being polite or the like), and play it off as a sick/mean spirited justification for feeding the competitive drive in people. If you actually practiced your characters as much as your tongue, you'd have some sort of ground to even do that kind of nonsense on (like ESAM above. I don't approve of his boasting, but you have to admit that he does have a reason to do it).

I mean, what you did at APEX when I played against Kel was wrong in every sense of the word in my eyes. Funny, definitely, but just downright toxic. I felt incredibly guilty after I won because I knew I had done so only because you decided to rob him of his focus. Players should be able to tune out the noise, and I've definitely been on the receiving end of trash talk before, but that should never justify being venomous.

Some people have different means to be competitive (or even for just playing the friggin' game), but for the most part, that kind of behavior just doesn't sit well with people like me. At the very least, that attitude sure as hell doesn't work down here in Texas.

Believe it or not, some people have standards beyond your brutish, antagonizing nature. Some people actually value being humble, modest, and kind.:applejack:
[collapse= Appropriate, Yet Shameless Self Advertisement Art Plug]
KO shirt.png
[/collapse]

Kyle, while you're my homie, Espy has a point. You spend more time talking trash and not really putting in the work to earn that right.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Frankly put, I'd like to co-sign what Espy just said.

Also, to signify, KID, you're a good Sonic player. Really, you are. But your damn ego holds you back from greatness. I tried to look on the bright side of things but when I aether'd you and you suddenly paused the game and threw the controller on the ground? Just one of a few things that hold you back. Keep your composure in check; it'll help.

Truth be told, you really need to stop worrying about if you're better than others or not (like your crusade about being better than Meek or some other Sonics).

Tesh

Smash Hero
this is over, im a top 5 sonic, get ready for smash 4

i agree with espy about the types of stuff people mid match to try to win. i dont know much about what happened with kel, but i've seen so much silliness from this community, like mikehazing, spectators poking players back in 08 09. it gets pretty disgusting the types of things people will do for an easy edge

im surprised people havent taken to screwing with the controls on people's tags.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Probably because messin' with controllers is downright cheating. Plus, the player can just request for a check if they feel their character isn't being responsive.

Check the set on Youtube, Tesh. KID uploaded it with commentary and all.

MLG Dallas vs. Rich Brown was absolutely brutai. I still get chills thinking about it. Easily both the best and worst moment in my entire Smash resume.

:applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Fox is 2 easy piece of cake tho his lazers don't even stun you.

:093:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Man I can't name search my self... You know how much random stuff I get for trying to find True Blue, True, or TB.

And didn't Nakat beat X cause someone was giving Nakat signs to punish X when he was at a vulnerable state? Cause I remember a Sonic player specifically doing that... I want to say it was Wedge that said that, but I don't remember anymore cause that was so long ago.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
My name speaks for itself as to how viable namesearching is for me.

Got a Wii U. Transferred my Wii library over to it. Wii save data transferred over as a result. Either I'm going to have to learn how to play on a Wii Classic Controller, or I'm going to have go through Brawl all over again and get everything unlocked once more, lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
is your wii hacked? just load the "unlock everything" code

you'll have to sit through like 3 minutes of alerts but after that you will be all good

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Camalange has worked out swimmingly for me as far as name searching goes on every site I've ever used ever.

:093:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hello Sonics. I saw the guide was a bit , uhh incomplete.

But I just wanted to ask you guys, when playing sonic what is your general mindset/approach when going into a match? Aggressive, evasive, defensive, etc? Any bad habits to look out for?

True Blue

Smash Lord
Honestly it depends on how the player likes and wants to play. And how comfortable you are in certain matchups. Ya play defensive if you don't know anything or playing against a character like Snake who can literally sucker punch you with a back air anytime you want to combo moves. And aggresive on characters that need the space to set up, like Samus? Too bad the two choices are severly different on the tier list lol. But that is my basic idea of it. And as with any character it is always good to find out if people have bad habits, and the main one with Sonic would be to mix it up constantly.

@Nakat: Sure, that is what all the top players say. "I didn't get help, it was ALL me!" lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think there is such a thing as a defensive Sonic and an aggressive Sonic. Both styles can work. In my opinion, myself and Espy (unless your style has changed :p) have embraced a more aggro style. Although good Sonic players will also adapt a secondary style into their aggro gameplay. Something I like to call "Passive" Aggro. All out aggro is what allows us to keep up with Meta Knight and beat down people like Bowser and Samus, whereas passive lets us stay on the opponent while reeling things back a bit so we don't eat damage or lose our stock; ie Snake, Ice Climbers.

[EDIT]

Another example, but it makes me look ridiculously defensive. When I fight Olimar on stages like Battlefield or Smashville, I will camp the ledges and drop springs on Olimar, preventing him from hitting me and grabbing me. It runs down the clock, but the second I see an opening, I drop the act and immediately go on the offensive. Some matches unfortunately force a camping game because Sonic gets shut down and destroyed otherwise. But the sudden switch shakes up your opponent thinking you're not bothered to close the gap.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Honestly it depends on how the player likes and wants to play. And how comfortable you are in certain matchups. Ya play defensive if you don't know anything or playing against a character like Snake who can literally sucker punch you with a back air anytime you want to combo moves. And aggresive on characters that need the space to set up, like Samus? Too bad the two choices are severly different on the tier list lol. But that is my basic idea of it. And as with any character it is always good to find out if people have bad habits, and the main one with Sonic would be to mix it up constantly.

@Nakat: Sure, that is what all the top players say. "I didn't get help, it was ALL me!" lol

He did help me with that tip lol. In the end it's still help xD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
GDI.

the one time swf decides to stop alerting me of this thread, the real talk session goes down.

I feel like the moment has passed for us to continue having a legit conversation about espys big wall of text. but yall can tell me if its worth it or if everyone just wanted to get stuff off their chests and would rather not continue.

only thing Ill say here and now, is that in espys case, having an ego is not a bad thing. but being tactful about your ego and then trying to play it off like you DONT have an ego just because you're not as blatant as I am about it is not a good look.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd appreciate it if you'd cut the crap with trying to turn me into the villain you apparently want me to be so badly. You're the only one antagonizing me in that way.

You also missed the entire point if you seriously believe I'd argue something like that. :applejack:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i didnt miss the point, but like I said, I wasnt sure if the moment has passed to whether people even feel like talking about it further or not.

and Im not trying to turn you in to anything. im jsut saying me and you really arent that different despite what everyone seems to think.

Top Bottom