• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Sonic_King

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to have to get Generations, no doubt

I'm also one of the sonics that doesn't go for timeouts usually. Tesh is right in that sometimes, they just happen, but I rarely go into a match, or even change my mindset mid match, to time out.
............................ same but i got back up characters just incase i feel like timin someone out if theyre too hard

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm on the fence on timing out. Some matchups I like to be up close and try to get it done quick, but others like Wario, Toon Link, Peach, and Lucario I'm content to play it easy and work the 8 minutes for what it's worth.

And then there are those times where I play naturally, gaze at the clock and realize 90 seconds are left, and I just drop whatever I'm doing and go into timeout-mode.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Going to a tournament with APEX (ish) ruleset. So no Brinstar,RC,PS2. What should I be doing?

Starters:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1

I might actually have to CP YI for this one again. I need a 2nd "MK safe" cp though since Delfino would be his best stage on this list (i'd bad orpheon cuz i suck at close combat).

Though I might whip out 2ndaries for CPs some, who knows.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Going to a tournament with APEX (ish) ruleset. So no Brinstar,RC,PS2. What should I be doing?

Starters:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1

I might actually have to CP YI for this one again. I need a 2nd "MK safe" cp though since Delfino would be his best stage on this list (i'd bad orpheon cuz i suck at close combat).

Just go Delfino and throw out some iSDRs or CS and run for your life.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium

Starters:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1

personally, I like Halberd, Frigate, as CPs for low ceiling (uthrow/utilt kills).
Naturally though YI is good, and PS1 is nice for the transformations w/ iSDR, not to mention about 3 of them make it easy to jab lock your opponent assuming they miss techs.

Edit: Excel also brings up a good point, assuming you want to have an easier time, timing your opponent out, Castle Siege and Delfino are also pretty ****, Delfino also has considerably low ceilings on some of the transformations IIRC.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well, he went to a tournament a good distance from where he lives...

Maybe he is staying away from the boards to hone his skills.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
People don't time people out more often because of "honor" and "fun" and stuff like that. I remember a game from... oh, I don't remember what national it was. I just know it was DEHF (Falco) vs. Chu (Kirby) on Smashville. DEHF had a lead with the time running low-ish (like 2 minutes left iirc), and he was spamming lasers while Kirby was hanging on the ledge with the lead. All DHEF had to do was keep firing his laser and force Chu to do something. Instead, he let up off the lasers. I don't know if that was honor or if he got bored himself, but clearly, with the way he had to play that matchup, that was the way he had to win.

Needless to say, he lost.

Personally, I think this game isn't fun competitively, at least not in its current state. The illusion is that it's "tolerable." My problem is that when I see a top player like, say, M2K, play and lose, half the time it's because he decided to approach when he didn't have to. If M2K didn't want to approach you after getting a 30% lead, I don't think there's anything stopping him from camping the rest of match out, waiting for you to run at him and make a mistake that leaves you at a disadvantage due to the power of this game's defense and MK's mean zoning game.

Of course, I could be wrong. And I'd love to be proven wrong because then, maybe, I'd get back into watch Brawl vids again.

Maybe.

Tesh

Smash Hero
was that the match where he got inhaled to uaired and then he airdodged off the stage after getting chaingrabbed for the reverse 3 stock? i might be mixing 2 different sets here though.

but yea, most people don't realize how dumb camping can be in this game because most don't do it. Unity actually has scrooging legal and it still hasn't been abused in any significant manner. I get a little bored camping for too long myself, thats probably just what happens.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Damn, that match is that old already? lol

Some of the old 09 and 10 matches are pretty fun. Anther vs. Boss with the Misfire ending, I think Lain vs. M2K where Lain sent him to losers early in bracket, Mikehaze and Ook at MLG, etc.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Mikehaze vs Ook is only good because of how badly everyone wanted him to lose.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I have to put this somewhere, because Notepad for some strange reason won't save certain characters.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

:093:

True Blue

Smash Lord
... This makes me speechless... But its funny at the same time and brings a smile to my face.

Even more so cause I played a D3 earlier on Yoshi's Island and almost 3 stocked them cause they swore they were timing the grab wrong when I was doing the Invincible Spin Dash thing.

But Tesh, too crazy lol. I was confused as to how you were going to win that cause you didn't look like you were ever going to approach him and the time was dwindling lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pretty easy, Chis.
The arguments from anti ban in the last public discussion are getting exponentially weaker, while the pro ban arguments are gaining strength through data and continued analysis.

Above that, the community is increasingly getting tired of the character, and it's quickly becoming less of a matter of how broken he is, and more of a matter of how his presence negatively effects the game.

Texas is having him banned more or less after our Circuit I think, and Colorado is going through with a ban courtesy of Ran, so a movement has more or less already begun.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Specific threads concerning the legality of Meta Knight are prohibited.

I believe there's a social group for that, but I wouldn't know if anything gets done back there.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Participating in a tournament this weekend that has Meta banned for more analysis purposes. I expect to feel even more confident for this. That match up always gives me a migraine.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Participating in a tournament this weekend that has Meta banned for more analysis purposes. I expect to feel even more confident for this. That match up always gives me a migraine.
I never understood the argument that any "analysis" can be done in a MK-banned tournament. If MK is banned then it tells us nothing about whether or not MK's so broken that he should be banned.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
(Certain) People need hard figures in their face.

It also has something to do with overcentralization I figure. At that point it's up to the community to decide whether they'd accept the current majority, or get rid of that majority all-together and grab the next best thing(s).

Just a breath of fresh air, really.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
:If a match like Tesh's is what friendlies have devolved into;
:And MK isn't banned by Apex;
:I will try to be the savior and get MK banned after Apex.

/optimism

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I never understood the argument that any "analysis" can be done in a MK-banned tournament. If MK is banned then it tells us nothing about whether or not MK's so broken that he should be banned.
The most analysis that you can make in a MK banned tourney is the character variety in the top 8 or 16 or whatever and the overall mood of the players. The character variety of the top 8/16 can also be used to counter the anti-ban argument of the slippery slope that banning MK will only allow another character to break out and be just as broken.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Having an MK Banned tournament opens up the idea of how much potential there is to having a counterpick character.

Diddy main in the local area giving you trouble? Bust out that Peach or Wario you've been practicing.

But wait, if you use Peach or Wario consistently, what if someone gets you on the rebound with Marth?

Well, that's easy enough. Have a Pocket DDD on hand for that matchup.

BUT WAIT, what if he uses Pikachu or Falco, or what if there are any Olimar or ICs players at this tournament, if anyone notices I swap out to DDD?

Have your own Marth ready for Pikachu, and Pikachu of your own for Falco, Peach again for Olimar, and just troll ICs with that Yoshi you've just been dying to bust out.

Instead of falling back on Metaknight for any CP issues, the game becomes a sophisticated RPS about who to use what character against which character. I'd like to see something like that

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The only thing about the slippery slope argument is that there ARE no other characters in the game that will be more or less completely dominant to the same degree as Meta Knight.

To begin with, every other character has at least ONE problem match up.

BSP

Smash Legend
Having an MK Banned tournament opens up the idea of how much potential there is to having a counterpick character.

Diddy main in the local area giving you trouble? Bust out that Peach or Wario you've been practicing.

But wait, if you use Peach or Wario consistently, what if someone gets you on the rebound with Marth?

Well, that's easy enough. Have a Pocket DDD on hand for that matchup.

BUT WAIT, what if he uses Pikachu or Falco, or what if there are any Olimar or ICs players at this tournament, if anyone notices I swap out to DDD?

Have your own Marth ready for Pikachu, and Pikachu of your own for Falco, Peach again for Olimar, and just troll ICs with that Yoshi you've just been dying to bust out.

Instead of falling back on Metaknight for any CP issues, the game becomes a sophisticated RPS about who to use what character against which character. I'd like to see something like that
Exactly, there's no go to character to solve all your problems.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong will be the most dominant. I think with MK gone and his metagame flourishing, he won't have anything worse than a 45:55 (if that, i mean come on, he has all kinds of friggin infinites from a projectile). Though with his steep learning curve, tech heavy ATs and defined weaknesses it probably won't be major. Not to mention the stagelist might wind up being fair to aerial characters with MK gone.

In any case, you won't really be able to whip out your pocket Diddy for a stage CP advantage over EVERYONE.

Tesh

Smash Hero
:If a match like Tesh's is what friendlies have devolved into;
:And MK isn't banned by Apex;
:I will try to be the savior and get MK banned after Apex.

/optimism
loooool, not sure what you mean. Sonic timing out DDD related to MK ban? I routinely camp in friendlies, even if its not helping me.
As someone that rarely uses MK (quickly changing it seems), I think I might have been wrong in my judgement of Japes,Frigate, Delfino.

Top Bottom