• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Vipermoon Vipermoon If jab/DB wasn't a safe move and if he didn't have a great off-stage game with a solid n-air and b-air, I would agree. Fortunately, he has all the tools he needs to survive in the neutral, have good kill-options, and can very well pull an advantage without the need of "jank."

No offense, but you may need to practice a lot more with Marth, or rather, differently. I think you just don't understand how Marth fully works, which is understandable due to all the changes, and you need to re-evaluate your Marth and improve from there. I have a lot to improve with Marth as well if I want to become tournament viable as well, so don't think about this negatively!
I 100% understand how Marth works and don't need to think of him differently. My previous post has nothing to do with me. Frankly, I don't like how you worded your second paragraph.

Last edited:

Legodiego

Smash Rookie
NNID
legodiego
Hello im new here, and just wanna ask a question. Outta the S tiers - A tiers which character do you think marth benefits from the most?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Hello im new here, and just wanna ask a question. Outta the S tiers - A tiers which character do you think marth benefits from the most?
Assuming you mean as a secondary, sheik.

Marth's hardest matchup in my opinion is ZSS, and ZSS's hardest matchup is sheik. Besides that, sheik covers all of Marth's other bad matchups, and doesn't have any of her own that are bad enough to warrant a secondary.

Sheik probably is just the best second for any character.

Legodiego

Smash Rookie
NNID
legodiego
Assuming you mean as a secondary, sheik.

Marth's hardest matchup in my opinion is ZSS, and ZSS's hardest matchup is sheik. Besides that, sheik covers all of Marth's other bad matchups, and doesn't have any of her own that are bad enough to warrant a secondary.

Sheik probably is just the best second for any character.
Well im mean likewhat marth perfered match up outta those tiers

A_Kae

Smash Ace

Well im mean likewhat marth perfered match up outta those tiers
Oh. Probably Diddy or Fox are Marth's best matchups among that group.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
For a really long time I wanted to do a thesis on Marth's transition between games, which prior to now would've been a huge diatribe of how much he got ****ed over.

Now if I were to start it it would actually be talking about the things he lost, and all the things he gained.
- Triple Jump Glitch gone = HUGE BUFF that didn't mean too much to us before because our character sucked. To new gens, I can't even begin to describe how ****ty this thing was for us. It made Marth feel like a low tier character in certain situations, there was a point in 09 where I almost wanted to drop Marth because of this. The use of dolphin slash was so risky because this existed too (get jabbed on the way down = free smash attack). NOW WE CAN USE DOLPHIN SLASH AGGRESSIVELY!!!!!!

- Weight increase = good buff but it didn't mean much because we SUCKED. That extra edge on weight does make notable differences. Considering the kill power available on this character, it's crazy how characters have to fear FIVE FRAME moves from 60% onwards when they're likely looking for mid 100s to kill him. But yeah, with greater weight, we get more use out of rage than we would've with our previous build.

- Up Throw killing (it's the same strength as Brawl, but based rage) = HUGE HUGE buff that was his crutch the ENTIRETY of smash 4 thus far. Rage + Up Throw was literally his only saving grace prior to buff sprees, without it I am 200% sure he was the worst character in the game on WiiU release.

- Aerial reach/disjoints buffed = GREAT buff. As number tech savvy as I am with things, and how much **** I have to deal with "Marth's range sucks now", when it comes down to it, nair and fair reach a lot further than they did in Brawl. Neutral Air was the most nerfed move from the Brawl transition and can now be used to land, set up for combos and defensively walling again. Neutral air's range is ludicrous; more damage would be helpful but it's now feeling a lot closer to weighing up nicely. Neutral Air was an exceptionally broken move in Brawl, now it's a good move.

- DB1 combos in the air properly; pretty big buff and now we have so much more pressure at close range and from the air I think it's about time we start to abuse this mix up.

- Shieldbreaker range buffed and no longer retaining the lung forward in cooldown was a great buff in making this move a usable part of our arsenal. Like, I don't know if you know, but for a single frame Marth lunges extra forward on hitbox release, almost a full swords length extra. Tipper uncharged also kills. This is now a trump card move on a solid character. Holy ****.

- Marth had a lot of issues being safe on hit at low percent. Forward Air still suffers this unfortunately but now with jab and up tilt retuned he now has a lot more to play with to not be pigeon holed into only grab or dancing blade at low percent. Safe from the getgo is a huge sigh of relief.

- Our jab, historically one of the worst in the series!!!!!!! Now? I'm actually particularly worried it'll get nerfed/taken back next patch. I don't know what they were thinking. It isn't super real, but it's so so so strong. We now have a significantly better version of Palutena's jab (which is 7 frames, long range, disjointed, combos/leads into things). People do not want to get hit by this thing and buffer something because they'll die. As we lost forward throw as a close range set up from Brawl, Jab now has taken us back to having that solid always "super likely reward". It linking into jab2 reliably is very very good too, it isn't always about jab1 into crap; taking 10% and knocking them towards the ground/likely towards the ledge, it snowballs positional dominance very well. Jab1 into Jab1 is a silly trap too.

- Counter being stronger; one of the consistent usages from Brawl was using it against recoveries. Beyond it's risk factor (for both yourself and your opponent) in normal situations, when you look at off stage we've got something that kills various heavies at around 100% that they mostly cannot avoid. :4bowser::4dk::4myfriends::4ness::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4littlemac::4lucas: are all characters who we kill for free trying to recovery. No fun for them allowed really.

- Tipper forward smash being monstrous kill power. Tipper kill power on a lot of things seems better too (Dancing Blade, Up Smash, maybe ftilt?)

- Our pummel is fast and does 3%. It was fast/good damage in Brawl too, but I think this was lower then. Our throw damage is pretty low but we should almost always be able to get a single pummel, two pummels and we're looking at damage output better than most characters getting a throw. People who don't mash out can take like 20% just from pummels. Annoy/cheese people with this, mashing out gives bad DI which is great for down throw and forward throw.

WOOT.

Now notable nerfs:
- Our auto cancels/landing lag got ****ed
- Our damage output was pulled back on most moves.
- Fair and dancing blade extra start up and end lag. Down tilt more end lag (still)
- Less horizontal range and invincibility on dolphin slash
- Nerfed aerial mobility (swapped with Ike)
- Throw game culled (but we have JAB NOW)
- Forward Smash range nerfed
- Down smash is useless

All these together could arguably stack up evenly to the buffs he's received. Maybe even be more potent in some areas.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
For a really long time I wanted to do a thesis on Marth's transition between games, which prior to now would've been a huge diatribe of how much he got ****ed over.

Now if I were to start it it would actually be talking about the things he lost, and all the things he gained.
- Triple Jump Glitch gone = HUGE BUFF that didn't mean too much to us before because our character sucked. To new gens, I can't even begin to describe how ****ty this thing was for us. It made Marth feel like a low tier character in certain situations, there was a point in 09 where I almost wanted to drop Marth because of this. The use of dolphin slash was so risky because this existed too (get jabbed on the way down = free smash attack). NOW WE CAN USE DOLPHIN SLASH AGGRESSIVELY!!!!!!

- Weight increase = good buff but it didn't mean much because we SUCKED. That extra edge on weight does make notable differences. Considering the kill power available on this character, it's crazy how characters have to fear FIVE FRAME moves from 60% onwards when they're likely looking for mid 100s to kill him. But yeah, with greater weight, we get more use out of rage than we would've with our previous build.

- Up Throw killing (it's the same strength as Brawl, but based rage) = HUGE HUGE buff that was his crutch the ENTIRETY of smash 4 thus far. Rage + Up Throw was literally his only saving grace prior to buff sprees, without it I am 200% sure he was the worst character in the game on WiiU release.

- Aerial reach/disjoints buffed = GREAT buff. As number tech savvy as I am with things, and how much **** I have to deal with "Marth's range sucks now", when it comes down to it, nair and fair reach a lot further than they did in Brawl. Neutral Air was the most nerfed move from the Brawl transition and can now be used to land, set up for combos and defensively walling again. Neutral air's range is ludicrous; more damage would be helpful but it's now feeling a lot closer to weighing up nicely. Neutral Air was an exceptionally broken move in Brawl, now it's a good move.

- DB1 combos in the air properly; pretty big buff and now we have so much more pressure at close range and from the air I think it's about time we start to abuse this mix up.

- Shieldbreaker range buffed and no longer retaining the lung forward in cooldown was a great buff in making this move a usable part of our arsenal. Like, I don't know if you know, but for a single frame Marth lunges extra forward on hitbox release, almost a full swords length extra. Tipper uncharged also kills. This is now a trump card move on a solid character. Holy ****.

- Marth had a lot of issues being safe on hit at low percent. Forward Air still suffers this unfortunately but now with jab and up tilt retuned he now has a lot more to play with to not be pigeon holed into only grab or dancing blade at low percent. Safe from the getgo is a huge sigh of relief.

- Our jab, historically one of the worst in the series!!!!!!! Now? I'm actually particularly worried it'll get nerfed/taken back next patch. I don't know what they were thinking. It isn't super real, but it's so so so strong. We now have a significantly better version of Palutena's jab (which is 7 frames, long range, disjointed, combos/leads into things). People do not want to get hit by this thing and buffer something because they'll die. As we lost forward throw as a close range set up from Brawl, Jab now has taken us back to having that solid always "super likely reward". It linking into jab2 reliably is very very good too, it isn't always about jab1 into crap; taking 10% and knocking them towards the ground/likely towards the ledge, it snowballs positional dominance very well. Jab1 into Jab1 is a silly trap too.

- Counter being stronger; one of the consistent usages from Brawl was using it against recoveries. Beyond it's risk factor (for both yourself and your opponent) in normal situations, when you look at off stage we've got something that kills various heavies at around 100% that they mostly cannot avoid. :4bowser::4dk::4myfriends::4ness::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4littlemac::4lucas: are all characters who we kill for free trying to recovery. No fun for them allowed really.

- Tipper forward smash being monstrous kill power. Tipper kill power on a lot of things seems better too (Dancing Blade, Up Smash, maybe ftilt?)

- Our pummel is fast and does 3%. It was fast/good damage in Brawl too, but I think this was lower then. Our throw damage is pretty low but we should almost always be able to get a single pummel, two pummels and we're looking at damage output better than most characters getting a throw. People who don't mash out can take like 20% just from pummels. Annoy/cheese people with this, mashing out gives bad DI which is great for down throw and forward throw.

WOOT.

Now notable nerfs:
- Fair and dancing blade extra start up and end lag. Down tilt more end lag (still)
- Down smash is useless

All these together could arguably stack up evenly to the buffs he's received. Maybe even be more potent in some areas.
This is a very good thesis.

A couple of things though, Uthrow kills Marth at 168% with no rage. In Brawl I think it was more like 200%. It's definitely stronger without rage,

Also Fair actually reaches the same as Brawl (horizontal, vertically it reaches less) using the Smashville white dot method.. Nair and Dancing Blade are the notable range buffs.

Pummel does exactly 2%. It would be broken if it did 3% since the 3% pummel characters in this game have really slow pummels.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That wasn't a thesis, not remotely close to how I would envisage it either :p
Whoops, why did I think it was 3%. I'll have to look at that later lol.

And you know my terminology enough by now I'd hope to know what I mean by reach. I guess noting fair should be changed in lieu of things more comparatively buffed.
Uair 7.9 -> 8.45
Fair 7.8 -> 8.45
Bair 7.4 -> 8.45
Dair 7.16 -> 8.45
Nair 6.0 -> 8.45

Up Tilt is another one that has notable reach differences.

Last edited:

Legodiego

Smash Rookie
NNID
legodiego
Yo! Today i went to a tournament and fair to dair spiked a roy. Sorry if this is counted as spam

Legodiego

Smash Rookie
NNID
legodiego
oh oops sorry about that latest double post. Still new to this. Anyways they couldn't get the stream to work cuz no internet but they did record it and i think i was at the setup with my match, i'll probably link you video when its up

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
And you know my terminology enough by now I'd hope to know what I mean by reach. I guess noting fair should be changed in lieu of things more comparatively buffed.
Uair 7.9 -> 8.45
Fair 7.8 -> 8.45
Bair 7.4 -> 8.45
Dair 7.16 -> 8.45
Nair 6.0 -> 8.45

Up Tilt is another one that has notable reach differences.
So by reach you don't mean actual range?

These are the disjoint measurements right? That would make sense considering how much more Nair increased than the others.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

WOOT.

Now notable nerfs:
- Down smash is useless

I forgot nair is usable now, and upb killing. couldn't figure out how to punish marios aerials, dancing blade was too soon and any grounded move i did traded :/

I killed with downsmash tippered and untippered the other day; just double checking--it didn't get buffed did it?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I forgot nair is usable now, and upb killing. couldn't figure out how to punish marios aerials, dancing blade was too soon and any grounded move i did traded :/

I killed with downsmash tippered and untippered the other day; just double checking--it didn't get buffed did it?
D-smash has been unchanged in any patch, (or at least the wii u patches). Was it the back hit you were killing with? That's always been strong enough to kill.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
D-smash has been unchanged in any patch, (or at least the wii u patches). Was it the back hit you were killing with? That's always been strong enough to kill.
front hit which is why i was surprised. around 130/140ish too. not back hit, ik that ish is super strong

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ kj22 kj22 You were either at a jank stage or had major rage. Dsmash usually doesn't KO until past 150. The stupid move lags almost 60 frames AFTER the hit and does 8%. On the rare times I'll use Dsmash it's to beat a really slow move (Dedede hammer) or to roll read at kill percents since the rear actually has kill power.

So I was at a tourney today, got 9th out of about 60. A few of the MI PR ranked were there. I now have a lot more faith in Dolphin Slash. I knocked a Sheik that ended up getting 7th into losers thanks to it. A lot of her approaches on my shield were DS'ed and when the guy for some odd reason counterpicked Battlefield I went all out. I've been practicing it. It's still super risky without platforms since you have to get super close for it to hit but hey, Sheik does no damage anyway so I didn't expect shield push back.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Dolphin Slash out of shield is a beautiful thing.

@ Vipermoon Vipermoon , we might have to ditto sometime. I've got a :4marth: too. I've always enjoyed him as a character. Was happy to see the recent changes to him. Seems much more scary again.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Will do, I have not heard that the results are up yet though.

@ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology I'd love to. Next week if you're going.
I'll be there at the next weekly for sure so hit me up. I'd be happy to learn a few things from someone who actually mains the character! There's not enough people in MI trying to be innovative/creative with lesser used characters.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Technically came second in a tournament today using Marth only (I forfeited after winning winner's finals, extreme tired/health kinda johns).
Neutral Air and Dolphin Slash buffs are the most notable increase in capabilities. Jab looks stellar/awesome for match ups with characters with shorter range (Pikachu, Mario, etc) but isn't showing itself to be universally game changing for him yet (although I probably opted for DB in times I could've jabbed quite a lot). Neutral air traps and safety on shield GALORE, dolphin slash kills near the ledge at 90%.

If someone attacked my shield from the air I can dash forward nair and cover just about everything, defensive options or continuing attacks. Obviously it could do this before, but there's so much more confidence from me to use this move with the landing lag buffs. Rising nair may be better than rising back air, but either way he does have a very acceptable ground to air transition now.

I was oozing forward smash tippers. Nair covering so much time/space and being so hard to work around screams "I can see THE FUTURE".
Like, I -knew- those forward smashes were going to be tippers before I even pressed buttons.

Anyway, still gotta work on jab stuff obviously, not enough Brawl skill transfers I guess. I have some thoughts on it's dynamics (the faster transition into jab2 is really good) for the future.

Not sure what I want to do anymore. Marth feels pretty good, but I'd say my ZSS is better and she likely doesn't have any poor match ups at all.
I think Marth still loses to Diddy, definitely loses to Shulk (we've said this before, these buffs don't help him here at all).

Could see long time mileage / confidence in using Marth for Ness and maybe Pikachu. Perhaps Mario as well. Doubt Marth does better against Luigi (and I'm not willing to call this match up without playing it this patch first, it was horrendous before and may still be). Villager, Yoshi, Toon Link perhaps better with Marth too.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
"I forfeited after winning Winner's Finals"?????
I don't understand how that works T__T You won and forfeited anyway?
And by dash forward nair, do you mean like, Roy-style point-blank no-tipper nair? Or a nair that covers the roll backwards option? I doubt many people instinctively roll backwards after an unsafe aerial on shield though, lol. And back hitboxes would miss the short characters. So Roy-style nair?
Edit, scratch that, I see it now. Wow, so it covers rising aerials on shield as well. x.x

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I wanted to go home, so I was happy to take 2nd place and save myself what ended up being the tournament finishing 3 hours later.

By defensive options I guess I meant more "retreating" choices. And landing aerials on his shield is a different scenario (a dolphin slashy or dancing bladey type of scenario).

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i've always done rising nairs, i prefer nair so much over fair as a spacing option. only problem with the move is that you need to be frame perfect vs shorties to not completely whiff

i really need to get my jab and DB cancel mix ups down. that **** is strong but i don't have it built into muscle memory yet.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah if you are really desperate for the kill just try Jab or DB1,2 to shield breaker. This is the kind of the stuff I talk about. No one can kill as early as Marth. He isn't exactly an honest character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Tempted to get filthy with Marth, but really wanna advance Ryu's meta.

The tough choices in life.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Whoa, I finally remembered how to log into this site holy ****!

Anyways, long story short, I've been messing around with murf more since da patch and might actually co-main him now, nothing else interesting from me.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Been having a much easier time playing Marth since the patch. Jab and Nair are my new best friends and don't neglect the DS out of shield.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I doubt it. I assume they can act out of stun as soon as you can (assuming ground release) so if shield is frame 1 and jab is frame 5...well

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Depends on Lucas' frame data on his release. Same thing that allowed him to get grab infinited in Brawl.

Top Bottom