• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Secondaries for Peach] Currently Discussing: Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
A "Secondary" is a Brawl character aside from your "main" that you use. In many cases, people use a character aside from Peach to counter the opponent's character. For example, if P1's opponent was using Marth, P1 may say that choosing Peach would place him at a disadvantage. (Check this out, a match-up chart by Dekuu!) So instead of choosing Peach, P1 may choose Metaknight. The opponent then has the disadvantage.

For each character, we will discuss the similarities with the character (particularly playstyle), how Peach and the character compare, who the character is especially good against, and his/her/its overall rating as a secondary.

Example:

:peach: Peach (3/5)
Similarities: She's Peach, dangit.
Comparisons: They can both float. They are both hawt. However, Peach has better aerials than Peach.
Good against: Olimar

We are currently discussing:

:yoshi2: Eggz. Wait...

Peach's Bad Matchups

Stolen from the DK Secondaries thread, which was stolen from this thread.
In order of severity.

:gw: = :mad: :marth: = :embarrass :snake: = :grrr: :metaknight: = :(

Learning Curves

By the way, this list is an "in general" list. We are slowly switching it to a "for Peach" list, so don't assume too much yet.

Very Large (at least a month):
:yoshi2: :shiek: :zerosuitsamus: :popo: :snake: :sonic:
Above Average (2-3 weeks):
:peach: :bowser2: :diddy: :wario: :ganondorf: :samus2: :pt: :lucario:
Average(1-2 weeks):
:mario2: :luigi2: :dk2: :link2: :kirby2: :dedede: :olimar: :falcon: :pikachu2: :jigglypuff: :ike: :ness2: :fox:
Below Average (5 days to a week):
:zelda: :toonlink: :falco: :marth: :lucas:
Very Small (2-3 days):
:pit: :metaknight: :wolf: :gw: :rob:

List of Characters

:mario2: Mario (2/5)
Similarities: Both have good aerials, and both do well against ROB.
Comparisons: Mario is a good option for projectile-based characters, due mainly to his cape. Mario is also heavier, stronger, but has shorter range. Peach has better recovery, faster jab combo, and ceiling kills.
Good against: Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, ROB (Peach is arguably better with ROB)

:luigi2: Luigi (3/5)
Similarities: Both are great at low percent combos, yet Peach is a bit better. Both are proficient in the air, so the playstyles are similar.
Comparisons: His Side B and Up B are a somewhat high risk, high reward type. Boasts exceptionally high killing potential for a middleweight. Gets destroyed by anyone with obvious superiority in range (Marth). Average matchup with high tiers.
Good against: Falco, Wario

:bowser2: Bowser (2.5/5)
Similarities: Not too many (Bowser is weird!) "Klaw-hopping" might come along as similar to floating.
Comparisons: Extremely heavy. Extremely strong. Big target. Can withstand a lot of punishment. Many grab options and the best OoS Up-B there is.
Good against: No one that Peach has significant problems with. (Slightly better matchup with Metaknight?)

:dk2: Donkey Kong (4.5/5)
Similarities: "Polar opposite" to Peach.
Comparisons: DK has a series of spikes in exchange for a terrible recovery. Has a very simple playstyle. Warning: Using Peach tactics will get you killed, but a "refreshing change" nonetheless. With larger range and larger power, KOing will be much easier.
Good against: Snake, tight with MK

:diddy: Diddy Kong (3.5/5)
Similarities: Glide tossing.
Comparisons: Very fun to use. Cool monkey that fights. Not much else.
Good against: Snake. Doesn't cover many bad matchups, but arguably MK's only even matchup.

:yoshi2: Yoshi (0/0)
Similarities:
Comparisons:
Good against:

:wario: Wario (3/5)
Similarities: They both have similar matchups. They both get owned by Marth, MK, etc. Has a bit of a better matchup with Snake. Good thing is the Dair, like Peach's, it is good for racking up damage and also has multiple hits. In other words, Dair is Peach-user friendly.
Comparisons: Wario is heavier and stronger. His Fsmash is also hard to get used to (assuming you are used to Peach's)
Good against:Wario has a huge advantage against pretty much everyone EXCEPT the high tiers (plus Yoshi), which isn't much help for Peach.

:link2: Link (1.5/5)
Similarities: Not many. Down-B may pull a throw projectile, but you can't even glide toss it (unless you know how to "boost throw")
Comparisons: Recovery is bad, even with proper DI. Good aerials are laggy. Below average projectiles besides maybe Gale Boomerang.
Good against: lol. Maybe Ike, just by a little. But that's no problem for Peach.

:zelda:

:shiek: Sheik (2.5/5)
Similarities: Because she is weaker than Peach, Sheik has more trouble actually KOing. Sheik's matchups are still weak to high tiers, maybe worse than Peach's.
Comparisons: Sheik's speedy, long range attacks, better vertical recovery, and speed in general is compromised by her low priority and a lack or a reflector/counter. Possibility: Rack up damage with Sheik, KO with Zelda.
Good against:Anything that Sheik can Ftilt.

:ganondorf: Ganondorf (1.5/5)
Similarities: None.
Comparisons: Slow. Promotes good technique nonetheless.
Good against: No one in particular.

:toonlink:

:samus2: Samus (0/0)
Similarities:
Comparisons:
Good against:

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus (4.5/5)
Similarities: Glide tossing, glide tossing. Throwing armor pieces should be fairly easy to the Peach mainer; think of them as three ditto turnips that bounce.
Comparisons: Huge jumps will take a while getting used to. Also proper spacing needed to be truly effective.
Good against: Beats G&W. Even with MK, Snake, Marth. A true plus.

:pit:

:popo: Ice Climbers (0/0)
Similarities: Light (?)
Comparisons: Hard to learn, unlike Peach. Stronger as well.
Good against: King Dedede

:rob: R.O.B. (2.5/5)
Similarities: R.O.B. = Melee Peach. They both have trouble killing and are good at edgeguarding. Glide tosses. Good jabs and tilts. His learning curve is very small if you are a good Peach.
Comparisons: He's a heavyweight, which might come as a surprise. Also he is very big. His akward movements take a while to get used to.
Good against: Okay with Snake and Marth. Gets destroyed by G&W and MK. Supposedly even with Falco.

:kirby2:

:metaknight: Metaknight (5/5)
Similarities: Metaknight owns you all.
Comparisons: Metaknight owns you all.
Good against: Metaknight owns you all.

:dedede: King Dedede (2.5/5)
Similarities: Good Dair for racking damage. Excellent aerial game. Fast Bair that can kill.
Comparisons: Chaingrabs. Heavy with the ability to KO at 35%. Lags very much, however.
Good against: Snake, R.O.B.

:olimar:

:fox: Fox (3/5)
Similarities:They are both light and have some trouble killing.
Comparisons:Fox runs faster and falls faster. His projectile, as weak as is, forces approaches, where he can then own them with combos. Approaching himself might not be the best idea. Fox is especially prone to locks.
Good against:Is even with an surprising number of high tiers. Diddy and ROB are good for him.

:falco: Falco (4.5/5)
Similarities: Very light. Aerials come out fast.
Comparisons: He falls dangerously fast, has a mediocre (dangerous) recovery, and lacks approaches (laser makes up for this). He has a risky matchup against characters that can escape his CG.
Good against: Wolf, toe to toe with practically all top tiers except Marth (unless you're SK92)

:wolf:

:falcon: Captain Falcon (1.5/5)
Similarities: Complete opposites. "Everything Peach has, C.Falcon lacks; everything C.Falcon needs, Peach already has!!"
Comparisons: His Dair and his Fair have considerable landing lag when shorthopped. Lack of a projectile, poor priority, and bad matchups make him the worst character in the game. To succeed, you must put aside the Peachy patience and attack with "aggressive flurries." (Playing and winning with Falcon will make you a prodigy :p)
Good against: Termites.

:pikachu2: Pikachu (3.5/5)
Similarities: Both lightweight. Good comboing, aerials, recovery, and overall speed.
Comparisons: Pikachu is extremely techical; he also has many options in almost any situation. Has a CG on most of the cast. People you can't CG you can FThrow to USmash for 30%.
Good against: King Dedede, Snake, Sheik, Low tiers, Falco, DK

:pt:/:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:

:lucario: Lucario (3.5/5)
Similarities: Multi-hit, amazing Dair. Floaty.
Comparisons: A general opposite playstyle to Peach. The higher risk = higher gain Lucario will take some getting used to from the lightweight Peach. Massive number of disjointed hitboxes in par with aerials that come out fast make him a combo machine.
Good against: Samus, ZSS, Sheik. Also better than Peach with most of the top tiers.

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff (1/5)
Similarities: Light. Both pink. Trouble killing. Good horizontal recovery. Good aerial game.
Comparisons: Lighter. Not hot. More trouble killing. Worse in most aspects.
Good against: No one that Peach has significant trouble with.

:marth:

:ike: Ike (2.5/5)
Similarities: Both have trouble getting around the stage. Otherwise, Ike is a big opposite, playstyle also wholly different. With her glide tossing and float-cancels gone, the switch may take some time.
Comparisons: A heavyweight. Higher killing potential. Lack of ATs make him a simple character, yet fighting characters with lots of ATs may come as a challenge.
Good against: Slightly better against Zelda, Game & Watch, and Luigi.

:ness2: Ness (2.5/5)
Similarities: Good aerials. Nair is practically cloned. Fair is very good for spacing.
Comparisons: If you've played Peach for too long, you might be startled by his second jump. While Peach has great damage racking ability, Ness boasts an excellent grab game and KO options. Very good against campy players.
Good against: Ness, rather than counterpicking characters, is fit for counterpicking playstyles. PK Magnet shuts down a spammer's options. Also good against matchups where you have a lot of experience yet you cannot seem to land the kill.

:lucas:

:gw: Game & Watch (2/5)
Similarities: Both are very light. Recoveries are practically cloned.
Comparisons: Game & Watch has much more killing potential and amazing aerials at that.
Good against: Falco. Unfortunately, though Game & Watch has an advantage over most of the characters, fails to cover some of Peach's worst matchups (MK, Snake, Marth) and only goes even with another Game & Watch.

:snake: Snake (4.5/5)
Similarities: Sexy. Multi-hit Dair.
Comparisons: Heavy. Many more projectiles. Worse recovery (unless you bomb jump)
Good against: Does good vs GW, Marth, MK and Falco. zomg we has a winnaz~

:sonic:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Looks good Prepared.

Though I, and I know at least a few others on here, use Peach exclusively. I'll pipe in when we get around to Ness and Olimar. My "funsies" characters. :bee:

Matt07

Smash Master
Hey Peach mains, I'll over a little bit of advice ;).

Mario;
Similarities: They're both really good in the air, they both reflect projectiles, they both can combo well.
Comparisons: Mario can K.O at lower percents, he's a bit heaver, has shorter range then Peach.
Good Against: Captain Falcon, and Ganondorf. We're pretty good at messing up recoveries too ;).

Overall I'd rate this a 2/5 for a counterpick.

Hopefully other Mario mains will come and offer better insight.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
*Looks at Meno's sig*

What about Mario?

Or the blooper?
! <3 Blooper.

But no, I was hoping people wouldn't get that idea from the sig. Mario is just there to complete the retro water level look.

I don't like the feel of Mario's jumps at least. He's too "flippy". And plus he doesn't stay in the air if I hold jump.

Similarities: They're both really good in the air, they both reflect projectiles, they both can combo well.
Peach can't reflect anything. Toad counters, but Peach is pretty susceptible to projectiles defensively-wise.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Toad counters, but Peach is pretty susceptible to projectiles defensively-wise.
She's really not, compared to most of the cast. High priority (and fast) attacks makes stopping projectiles a small skill. If she cant stop the projectile, she still can float and keep moving, weaving between floating and running to never stop approaching. Other characters are forced to shield/roll to bypass projectiles, and have (for the most part) a smaller arsenal of high-priority attacks with which to stop projectiles.

And, should she need to shield, she's much less defenseless than a LARGE portion of the cast. 4/5 fast, auto-cancelling aerials OOS with float control to boot, break most approaches.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
This thread is good to see who you could pick up for certain match-ups that Peach sucks against, but it's not that simple. These aren't stages. Learning a specific character can take a lot of time and if its just for a specific match-up I wouldn't give it so much importance, I would pick up a top tier character. Remember that if you win the match with that certain character you will have to fight against one of his/her counters (that is, if the other person counterpicks) so you'll end up having to learn ALL about that character...but that's what thread is about, right? ;)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I thought we were comparing playstyles?

Otherwise the entire thing would be "counter with Meta Knight". :p

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
so what's good vs. MK/Snake/Game 'n Watch?

;[

and i dun like mario, i dun c how he can cover up for the **** that wrecks peachy.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
MK is the best secondary for anyone, because he has NO bad or neutral matchups. MK is the best pick against another MK, and a good pick against anyone.

IGNORING MK, I'm actually starting to pick up Diddy for G&W and MK. He's got good matchups on both; even with G&W and 45:55 with MK. Considering that only five characters in the game go even with or beat G&W, and 45:55 is the BEST matchup anyone barring Snake has on MK, that's not bad. Plus, being good with Peach means you already have a good glide toss and item game (which Diddy relies on) and are used to not having good kill power and saving your kill moves.

However, I may have developed some new techniques today that totally change around the G&W matchup for Peach 0.o Seriously. I need to do a bit more testing before I reveal them though. Or... maybe I should keep it secret... >.<

And Peach can **** Snake. Play the matchup more and get it down. She's got crazy 50% combos on him.

I think Diddy is potentially the best Peach counterpick- he provides a strong pick against two of her three worst matchups (MK, G&W, and Falco).

DK also is a great Peach counterpick, as he does similarly to Diddy against both MK and G&W, but for totally different reasons. His terrible vertical recovery makes it easy to suicide when you airdodge offstage and his obscene range and slow attack speed and horrid air game and lack of a projectile and super armor means he plays COMPLETELY different from Peach, so Diddy will probably be easier for Peach mains to learn.

I'm betting on an MK ban anyway.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh, oops, can you edit Mario's Good Match-up's? I think Link and Mario are pretty much in the match-up. Just leave Captain Falcon and Ganondorf up there. Thanks in advance.

Meadow

Smash Apprentice
The thread looks very nice, PrepareYourself. I've been having a bit of trouble with choosing a secondary, but I think this thread will help a lot.

I'll try to help out a bit for every once in a while, and contribute to the Ness counterpick once it's his turn.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Main: White Dress
Secondary: Green Dress
Tertiary(Didn't have this in melee): Red Dress
The ***** Herself: Pink Dress

Blue and Daisy belong to my little brother :p I never ever play them :p

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario is a good choice against some projectile based characters, Like rob for instance.

Mario shuts down rob almost completely, since he outcamps rob with taking adv of the cape.

Mario juggles Rob to hell and back and even has potential to gimp him.

Mario may be good choice of 2nd in my opinion. I mean i use both Mario and Peach, and use them both quite well.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
I main Dedede along with Peach, not because I think he counter's Peach's bad match-ups but because I like his playstyle too along with Peach's :). I think enjoying your character affects your performance too.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Mario is a good choice against some projectile based characters, Like rob for instance.

Mario shuts down rob almost completely, since he outcamps rob with taking adv of the cape.

Mario juggles Rob to hell and back and even has potential to gimp him.

Mario may be good choice of 2nd in my opinion. I mean i use both Mario and Peach, and use them both quite well.
Peach does well against Rob, probably better than Mario :p

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Marth, DK and Diddy are good complementary secondaries. I suck with Marth and DK though, so I'm working on my Diddy. He's just way more fun hehe. Of course as Praxis said, Metaknight is everyone's best secondary.

Teaming with another Peach is IMO one of the worst teammates you could have besides Sonic. Those kills will come few and far in between. Then, people can go double marth on you and not even use marth and it's a super hard matchup in doubles.

JuniorMints

Smash Cadet
I 2ndary a lot of other characters, but I picked Diddy because his playstyle is similar to Peachs just faster.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Teaming with another Peach is IMO one of the worst teammates you could have besides Sonic.
:mad:

DK is very very strong, has millions of spikes and pretty rubbish recovery. Complete opposite of Peach by the looks of things.

He does however have decent match ups vs MK and Snake if I remember correctly

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
DK is probably one of the best Peach secondaries in terms of matchups. Goes even with G&W, does well vs MK relatively speaking, and hard counters Snake.

The problem with him is that his playstyle is the polar opposite of Peach's. It's actually a refreshing change, but it may mess you up pretty badly. Airdodging offstage usually results in your death because you have no vertical recovery. A lot of your Peach habits will get you killed and your spacing and way of thinking is totally different.

If you can get him down, do it, it's a great secondary. But Diddy would be easier for a Peach main to master.

I think DK does well vs Marth too. Falco...not so much.

also, DK is IMO one of the best teammates a Peach can possibly have.
are u sure dekuu?

Mario is one of rob's worse match ups.
Peach ***** the CRAP out of ROB. Seriously.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oh, please note that for Mario, he gets hard countered by G&W just like Peach does. Sharing the same good and bad matchups sadly makes Mario a poor Peach secondary.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i love DK. imo the playstyle differences between Peach and DK doesn't rly mess me up too bad when i bust out DK in friendlies though coz DK is way easier to use than peachy or at least his playstyle is just very simplified.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
I remember playing as Dedede after playing like 30 games with Peach and as soon as the match started I tried floating with Dedede :dizzy:. Obviously those habits screwed with my brain, but that doesn't happen as much as it did when I first picked up Peach. So a bit of practice with both the characters should make it easy, even with a polar opposite like DK :).

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Hey this my setup. Peach & DK

I think DK is an awesome secondary, the fact he's so different from peach works great.
DK is just nice straight up playable, not much crazy to learn just spacing mostly.

I like his contrast for when i can't get inside someone with Peach, or that i have trouble locking down a K.O. on. Cause DK can get the KO's.

and

He's on the short list for tight MK match ups.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'd personally give it 5/5. The only difficulty is learning curve since your habits will be bad (Peach mains are used to aerials that autocancel and recovery that is decent enough that you can airdodge offstage), but it perfectly covers all of Peach's bad matchups except Falco.

Depends how strict we're going to be though. If we go really strict with rankings, Metaknight will be the only 5/5.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
trying to second wario for lulz atm coz his weight and kill power is a nice change of pace but w/ all the auto-canceling aerial funsies. ;D

but anyway, i don't see wario being a good secondary coz it still shares some of the same **** match-ups that peach has. Marth, Game and Watch, MK. does better vs. snake but it's entirely possible to fight off snakes as peach though.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Fsmash is frustrating at first if you're used to Peach's. I find myself doing lots of missed Fsmashes the first matches until I get used to it...also playing with a character prone to chain grabs/releases puts me under pressure <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom