• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SCSYN5! Feb 15th-16th Oak Lawn, IL - $200 Pot Bonus

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i use a sega genesis controller for melee dunno what u guys use

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hey guys,

I know I hold no clout in the Melee community and nobody that would come to this tournament but like the IL Brawl peeps would know me, but if any of you have been keeping up w the EVO ruleset thread at all, there's a big discussion about alternative time settings, as the 8 minute limit is too much for MrWizard. We can debate theoryfighter all we want and we can even try to use predictive models based on existing matches, but nothing beats hard data. Participants, you guys should respond now and see whether or not you're game for it. If they are, Rat/other TOs, you guys should consider running 3 stock/6 min pools at this event or even 4 stock/7 min if you don't wanna go that far and see how people feel about it + if the length of matches significantly changes =)

I'll be watching this thread for responses.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would rather not have the rules be changed 2 weeks before the tournament.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Even if its just for pools?

:phone:
Considering this is a big tournament with a pot bonus...no.

Testing less time doesn't do anything. If there is less time then more matches are won by %, it's pretty simple.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Is that conjecture? If its for Evo I'd like to believe that any and all viable hypotheses should be tested especially because of how the bracket was botched last time (bo1 until top 3 or something).

4s6 or 7m you're testing if the percentage of matches that go to time goes up or down
3s6m you're testing the same thing plus whether or not someone who wins the first game is just as likely to win the second if it was 4s8m (aka see if 3s5m changes the variance)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The only matchups that are really affected by timer swaps are floaty vs floaty matchups, or when people have the intention of timing out. That is, however, way more preventable in melee for the most part.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I agree w that but again nothing beats data xD and I mean there are other ways of getting it so if ppl reject my ideas it's nbd I was just putting it out there in case other ppl had the same line of thinking :)

Oracle

Smash Master
i'm probably with hylian on this one. Its pretty clear that the shorter the timer is, the more viable timing out is as a strategy, and nobody wants that. if you want to test, do it at your locals

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mostly baseless theoryfighter.

but i do agree that i'd rather the rules not change less than two weeks before the tournament.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I just dunno when mr wizard is going to publish his ruleset which is why I asked so soon. As a TO I'm well aware of the two week problem haha

Tink

Smash Hero
i feel ya on that, but i can 99% guarantee that rat wont be making that kinda change....nor would ANYONE coming to the actual tournament want him to either....were looking to give ppl the most fun and great experience we can and that doesnt line up with making those or any kind of similar changes :/.

ORLY

Smash Master
falcon dittos take 2 minutes MAX

if they're done right, 1 minute

EDIT: same with all games involving fox

john!

Smash Hero
i don't think most people would care if you changed the timer to 7 minutes of something

or maybe we could just have people pay attention to the match time and see how many matches go above 6 minutes (to see what the effect of a lower time rule would be) (and maybe we could see whether the extra 2 minutes affected the outcome of the match)

Rat

Smash Lord
Added CSP to the schedule for friday night.
We might do it for PM as well (Depends on the time frame.)

Flipped the schedule for PM and Melee teams around.

ORLY

Smash Master
CACTUAR STAMINA PANCAAAKE

Good guy TO Rat: adds events people want and bends the schedule around but still hasn't been able to add Rat's Rumble

Kirk

Smash Champion

It was flipped in registration but not on t he schedule. ..safe to assume pm dubs at 2pm and melee at 4pm now?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord

you can do it but just know that it takes way longer because you have to start a match to find out what character you got. (min 1, max 3 times per game).

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah it'll add a tiny bit of time, might want to lower sets to bo5

Scythe

Smash Master
so nick did you figure out who will be doing streaming at this thing if at all.

Rat

Smash Lord
not yet. I gotta ask kirk about doing it cause his set-up is siiiick.

@Kirk
You wanna bring your stream set-up?

edit:
Also swapped the dub start times and changed the freeplay time slot to CSP. Thanks for the catch.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I can do some streaming if we need it, at least for a secondary stream. I'll probably favor CSP above all else.

Smart move making that Friday night, we don't want to have a hypeless Melee / P:M finals.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Naw dude :(

I decided I just have some other priorities in life at the moment. ..Really wish I could have come though x_x"
Ah well, I'll hope to see some of you at gen3 or evo anyway :p

Top Bottom