• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Should this thread be closed? It seems to have become a meeting ground for melee fans who want to insult Brawl fans, and for Brawl fans who have no idea what melee's ATs were to get insulted by melee fans. Nothing appears to be getting accomplished, and opinions seem to be unchangable.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Should this thread be closed? It seems to have become a meeting ground for melee fans who want to insult Brawl fans, and for Brawl fans who have no idea what melee's ATs were to get insulted by melee fans. Nothing appears to be getting accomplished, and opinions seem to be unchangable.
That's what you think. There is some intelligent discussion going on. If you don't like the truth and/or this thread, don't come to it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
That's what you think. There is some intelligent discussion going on. If you don't like the truth and/or this thread, don't come to it.

Most of the current intelligent discussion seems to be blotted out by the bitterness of the melee supporters. I'm all for intelligent discussion, but only if their is a goal to be achieved, such as an advancement of knowledge and an increase in the complexity of an opinion. The melee fans seem steadfast and almost closed minded, and the Brawl fans seem somewhat intimidated/offended by the melee fans.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Most of the current intelligent discussion seems to be blotted out by the bitterness of the melee supporters. I'm all for intelligent discussion, but only if their is a goal to be achieved, such as an advancement of knowledge and an increase in the complexity of an opinion. The melee fans seem steadfast and almost closed minded, and the Brawl fans seem somewhat intimidated/offended by the melee fans.
Refer to my last post.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wait, are you trying to say that Melee supporteers are overbearing and that THEY are the ones who are close minded? How many Brtawl supporters actually went to a Melee tournament? How many of them practiced with the game? At least Melee people have played BOTH games before coming to their conclusion, at least played at a competitive level.

Don't try to claim innocence by saying that melee supporters are muscling around other people. It seems to me as if YOU GUYS are the close-minded ones because you won't give the other game a try. There, I said it. The game's been out for 7 years and you didn't give it the same chance as a game that just came out because you didn't like it, it wasn't, or whatever. No.

That discussion blows. You suck. And the boards are overrun with jerks that don't understand arguments.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wait, are you trying to say that Melee supporteers are overbearing and that THEY are the ones who are close minded? How many Brtawl supporters actually went to a Melee tournament? How many of them practiced with the game? At least Melee people have played BOTH games before coming to their conclusion, at least played at a competitive level.

Don't try to claim innocence by saying that melee supporters are muscling around other people. It seems to me as if YOU GUYS are the close-minded ones because you won't give the other game a try. There, I said it. The game's been out for 7 years and you didn't give it the same chance as a game that just came out because you didn't like it, it wasn't, or whatever. No.

That discussion blows. You suck. And the boards are overrun with jerks that don't understand arguments.
1) I played melee since it came out
2) I never went to a melee tournament or a Brawl tournament, so I am even on both
3) I've seen both melee and Brawl vids, and practiced intensely with both games, although not at a competitive level necesarily
4) Saying I suck and the boards are overrun with jerks that don't understand arguements (by which I assume you mean YOUR arguements) pretty much proves my point about at least ONE melee supporter.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I presented my notions and opinions of the difference between the two games, some of it specifically to you. Did they not impart some change upon your perceptions or where they somehow ineffectual? No one had attempted to disprove or contradict what I had stated, or say that the posts were poorly executed or defined. It seems to me that what I said is in fact true, or partly so, since no one could/wanted to contradict it, yet it seems to be that it has not caused any visible or tangible shift of perception nor opening of the mind on anyone of the Brawl persuasion.

Who is stubbornly refusing to see clearly and adjust their opinions here?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
- Reaver

I have changed my opinions significantly and quickly since I entered this thread. Once I understand intelligent points, I don't like to refute them. I will not deny that a lot of Brawl supporters are stubborn and don't see clearly, and that my definition of a great game is drastically different than the melee supporters, as I have nothing wrong with Brawl being all about tactics, defence, camping, and being slower than melee (actually, these all seem like good things to me). However, the bitterness of melee fans is overwhelming here, reguardless of their opinions, and the intelligence behind their posts.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
they only seem bitter because you refuse to say that you are wrong and that you don't know the depth of melee, you don't because if you did, you wouldn't be feeling like this.

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
- Reaver

I have changed my opinions significantly and quickly since I entered this thread. Once I understand intelligent points, I don't like to refute them. I will not deny that a lot of Brawl supporters are stubborn and don't see clearly, and that my definition of a great game is drastically different than the melee supporters, as I have nothing wrong with Brawl being all about tactics, defence, camping, and being slower than melee (actually, these all seem like good things to me). However, the bitterness of melee fans is overwhelming here, reguardless of their opinions, and the intelligence behind their posts.
dont like it; leave please :rotfl:

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
they only seem bitter because you refuse to say that you are wrong and that you don't know the depth of melee, you don't because if you did, you wouldn't be feeling like this.
Excellent example of bitterness, LOL_Master. See how you use the word you, refuse and wrong to make me feel unwelcome, then going on about how if I knew what you knew about melee, I would agree with you? And yet you defend youself by saying if I were as knowledgable about melee as you are, I would not think your comments are unwelcoming.

By the way, Ban3, I actually enjoy this kind of conversation, I plan on showing up regularly because of it.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
- Reaver

I'm glad to hear that. Sorry if I came across as being so pointed and accusatory, by the way, because I can certainly agree that some, if not many, Melee fans do not do a very good job of conveying or explaining why they like Melee better, only simply that they do, so often you'll encounter people who dislike Brawl and you'll often be at a loss as why they do.

But, also understand, you are not the first person to debate as such with them, and they might've provided very good and very long explanations in the past, but to repeat them all is not only annoying, but a seeming slap in the face that the first time was somehow not good enough nor that it carried far enough. Repeating arguments and discussions done before is a wearying task, and I could not blame somebody for going "I've told them enough, I'm sick of it", though I'd rather them just simply not post instead of going "Well Brawl just suxxorz, and ur a nub". If someone's wrong or ignorant, I try to educate instead of spurn, but alas I cannot always live up to such a mantra, so I cannot always call others to do the same.

Anyway, if you have any specific points or opinions to debate of the nature of the two games, I would be glad to try to do so as civilly and intelligently as possible, but it seems that most posts and arguments on here are more of the "this poster is bitter/butthurt/a nub" and other personal attack sort of things, which is why I abstain so much from posting in this thread and why I feel so few actual intelligent and relevant discussions are held.

Scar

#HarveyDent
By the way, Ban3, I actually enjoy this kind of conversation, I plan on showing up regularly because of it.
Dealing with people who back up opinions that are based on no facts whatsoever a thousand times per day leads to a certain shortness when responding. It's frustration. I think that maybe that is the "bitterness" you're getting.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
1) I played melee since it came out
2) I never went to a melee tournament or a Brawl tournament, so I am even on both
3) I've seen both melee and Brawl vids, and practiced intensely with both games, although not at a competitive level necesarily
4) Saying I suck and the boards are overrun with jerks that don't understand arguements (by which I assume you mean YOUR arguements) pretty much proves my point about at least ONE melee supporter.
I think this means you shouldn't be making comments on either game, PERIOD.

Intense practice? That hasn't gotten you to a competitive level? Doesn't take much practice to play Brawl competitively, but it's not how hard you practice Melee, it's how much you practice. (Unless you're Silent Wolf)

Corigames

Smash Hero
And this is just a ridiculous comment. You aren't contributing to the thread at all, and you didn't even give a reason for your statement. Either post on here for discussion, or don't post at all.

Have a nice day
You know, you didn't contribute anything to the thread either. You just flamed or insulted someone without giving anything to the discussion. You are on the same level as him.

I believe that the competitiveness of these games are incomparable because Melee is on such a higher level than Brawl. The only way to compare them is to completely disregard the fact that Brawl is a game, or you may end up making the developers of Brawl cry with your report on said comparison.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
The theme of competativeness seems to be misinterpreted as one who plays at somewhat high levels of play, whether it is with friends or not. Misinterpretation is bad, my friend.
No johns? Isn't john-ing what you're famous for, 56k?

Um.

I dunno.

Smooth Criminal
So it originated from him? Hmm.......

This is just a ridiculous thread
We find your comments to be vastly intelligant

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You know, you didn't contribute anything to the thread either. You just flamed or insulted someone without giving anything to the discussion. You are on the same level as him.

I believe that the competitiveness of these games are incomparable because Melee is on such a higher level than Brawl. The only way to compare them is to completely disregard the fact that Brawl is a game, or you may end up making the developers of Brawl cry with your report on said comparison.
No I haven't contributed anything, but I look at this thread a lot and I enjoy reading some of the different viewpoints people have, and people like that idiot above me just tick me off.

Btw, I do agree on how it's hard to collate the two games.

Fletch

Smash Master
The theme of competativeness seems to be misinterpreted as one who plays at somewhat high levels of play, whether it is with friends or not. Misinterpretation is bad, my friend.
So it originated from him? Hmm.......

We find your comments to be vastly intelligant

NOT!!!!!!!!!!
If you are going to make fun of someone's "intelligance", at least learn how to spell. And while you're at it, do not use a Borat reference, unless this is 2 years ago.

EDIT: Forgot to stay on topic, so Brawl sucks, everyone please go back to playing Melee. Thanks.

RDK

Smash Hero
Has Brawl been abolished yet?

No?

Time to go back into my cave and sit in the fetal position.

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
And the tags? yeah, there's an announcement about it, there was a vbulletin update so there's been some additions to the forum.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not to be off subject, but I noticed them and I don't really care for them. It's just something else cluttering up the screen that's unnecessary. Like, what's del.icio.us anyway? I don't care, and why is it there? And I got a "friend request" from some people. And, no offense to them, but what is the importance in that? If I want to talk to them I'll PM them, otherwise I'll just see them when I'm posting. What's the deal?

Anyway, I think I'm waiting on another newbie to come in here with incorrect facts, bad opinion, and/or happ-ygo-lucky hopes for Brawl.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
bookmarks are probably for money

brawl needs to die and be replaced with online melee. i'd rather have a good game that sucks online than a bad game that sucks a little less online

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
bookmarks are probably for money

brawl needs to die and be replaced with online melee. i'd rather have a good game that sucks online than a bad game that sucks a little less online
Huh?! I like Brawl better than Melee though. That MUST mean it's better!

Anyway, Melee online (with no lag) would be any Melee competitive smasher's dream. And Nintendo said if they hadn't hired Sakurai, Brawl really would've been Melee 2.0, literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom