• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Clearly you're a moron because you fail to see the amazing of Captain ****ing Planet.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Captain Planet gave me an idea for a Captain Falcon theme song -

Earth
Fire
Wind
Water
Manliness
Go Falcon!
With my powers of manliness, I am Captain Falcon.
Captain Falcon, he's a hero, gonna take you up from 0,
He's got powers, and fight, and he's fighting on manliness's side.
He's gonna put assunder, anyone tries who stops his plunder.
You're Awesome, Captain Falcon!
We're the Falcon's fans. You can be one too.
Because kicking *** is the thing to do.
Denying Falcon's manliness is not the way,
Hear what Captain Falcon has to say.
The power is mine!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/captain-planet-theme-song/3998683990

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Captain Planet gave me an idea for a Captain Falcon theme song -

Earth
Fire
Wind
Water
Manliness
Go Falcon!
With my powers of manliness, I am Captain Falcon.
He's got powers, and fight, and he's fighting on manliness's side.
He's gonna put assunder, anyone tries who stops his plunder.
You're Awesome, Captain Falcon!
We're the Falcon's fans. You can be one too.
Because kicking *** is the thing to do.
Denying Falcon's manliness is not the way,
Hear what Captain Falcon has to say.
The power is mine!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/captain-planet-theme-song/3998683990
This is a disgrace to the honor of Captain Planet! He doesn't tolerate stealing of his trademark song, his environmental lawyers are going to be after your *** for this!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon
He's a Hero
He's gonna bring scrubness down to zero
He's our punches magnified
And he's fighting on nobody's side
Captain Falcon
He's a Hero
Gonna knee people with thunder
New ***s who speculate and wonder

You'll pay for this, Captain Falcon!!!

We are Falconeers
You can be one too
Cuz kicking and punching is the thing to do
Shining and failing is not the way
Hear what Captain Falcon has to say...
This punch... UP YOURS!!!!!

10X better

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Fiiiirrre!
Heeeeeeart!
Captain Planet for SSB4! :chuckle:
Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse are ******* compared to the combination of pure masculinity and environmental responsibility that is Captain Planet.
This is a disgrace to the honor of Captain Planet! He doesn't tolerate stealing of his trademark song, his environmental lawyers are going to be after your *** for this!
I agree with Ankoku. This is clearly the work of a first-rate moron.
Quite the moron tonight as well, aren't we Variola?

Captain Falcon
He's a Hero
He's gonna bring scrubness down to zero
He's our punches magnified
And he's fighting on nobody's side
Captain Falcon
He's a Hero
Gonna knee people with thunder
New ***s who speculate and wonder

You'll pay for this, Captain Falcon!!!

We are Falconeers
You can be one too
Cuz kicking and punching is the thing to do
Shining and failing is not the way
Hear what Captain Falcon has to say...
This punch... UP YOURS!!!!!

10X better
Agreed. you should do a thread on theme songs, it'd be awesome. Definantly 10X better.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Halloween Captain has no right to call me a moron, all my statements were made for great justice! Every other post Halloween Captain makes, however, reeks of scrub.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hopefully it'll get locked so that it can just end and be done with (no offense to Scar in starting it though).

Scar

#HarveyDent
As everyone has pointed out, the thread is very cyclical. Once a week it devolves into a spamfest, and then a few days later it'll be intelligent conversation, with very flawed, silly, stupid arguments in between.

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
I still think this thread could benefit from someone gathering all of the arguments/discussions/debates that we have gone through and putting them all in one post that could be added to the first post.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I don't think he's attempting to prove anything; I'm pretty sure he's just posting results to what was (I'm sure) one of the most b*tchin' tournaments ever conceived.

...I'm so sad I didn't get to go. Work blows. I woke up on Saturday, realized I wasn't in GA, and almost wept salty tears, for my love of Melee could not be satisfied... [/cry]

EDIT: Beat'd. :psycho:

Reaver197

Smash Lord
****, that tourney looked pretty farkin' awesome. Are there vids of it yet?

lol, M2K cashed in that check alright.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't think he's attempting to prove anything; I'm pretty sure he's just posting results to what was (I'm sure) one of the most b*tchin' tournaments ever conceived.

...I'm so sad I didn't get to go. Work blows. I woke up on Saturday, realized I wasn't in GA, and almost wept salty tears, for my love of Melee could not be satisfied... [/cry]

EDIT: Beat'd. :psycho:
Lol. Thanks for coming to my defense. I really was posting that link just to show off the results and nothing more.

I was hoping you'd come with the rest of Texas, Jack. I wanted to squeeze in some friendlies and just show you how bad I suck at the game. But, I understand how work is. It's a necessary evil.

Smooth Criminal

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I seriously hope that they hold another tourney like that sometime soon, maybe one I could come to this time! :laugh: Yeah, hopefully by the time another tourney like that is held, I'll have enough cash saved up to where I could take enough time off for a road trip. Friends, the open road, juicy ribs, and Melee sounds like the best week evar.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Go to the regional area of the boards, find where your state/province is. Post when and where and for what you are holding it. Then people from that area will show up. If it is suppose to be a BIG tournament, probably the tournament discussion board.

kirbycool

Smash Rookie
I think Brawl has way combo potential than your giving it credit for scar. You say it's just 2 or 3 hits and thats a combo but it can be much more than that.

Look at these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnkNk5z0yk

These people can do more than 3 hit combos so why can't you. Ok that didn't sound like what i am trying to say but anyway, you don't know that Brawl can't be as competitive as melee, yet you state it as a fact.

You never know what could pop up.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Go to the thread that is, and you will get my opinion.

The people in the Zero suit one showed no skill, what-so-ever. They also jumped into many hits, frequently sat on the edge and allowed themselves to get hit, and let themselves get set up for consecutive hits.

I just watched that second video, and it suffers from the same thing! The people he was facing absolutely BLOWED. If even one person teched a hit, it would throw off his entire game. Entire! No. And some of those "combos" he got hit during or resulted from the person not shielding or spot dodging.

No combo video I have seen in brawl is anywhere as impressive as combo videos that are not in Brawl. Just because you have someone getting hit over and over again doesn't mean you are good. At least show that you CAN do a combo when someone does tech, dodge, or avoid the initial attack!

BTW: Consecutive hits =/= combo.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I think Brawl has way combo potential than your giving it credit for scar. You say it's just 2 or 3 hits and thats a combo but it can be much more than that.

Look at these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnkNk5z0yk

These people can do more than 3 hit combos so why can't you. Ok that didn't sound like what i am trying to say but anyway, you don't know that Brawl can't be as competitive as melee, yet you state it as a fact.

You never know what could pop up.
Combo videos are made in order to show off, and are typically full of opponents that tech badly/predictably, and DI very badly or not at all.

Find a tournament video of a match with two players that know what they're doing and can pull combos off consistently. I don't believe such a video exists, considering the nature of Brawl, but feel free to try and find one. It might help to prove your point better than these two videos.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Find a tournament video of a match with two players that know what they're doing and can pull combos off consistently.
This is the issue here. Combo videos and some random string of moves that just happens to work based solely off of prediction and not reaction is not what we're looking for when we say "there are no combos."

The closest Brawl gets to combos are utilt utilt utilt at 0% and other silly, repetitive, boring traps. Those aren't combos either.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
dthrow dthrow dthrow dthrow dthrow dthrow dthrow dthrow with Dedede is a viable option, but every time I bring it up all the so-called "Brawl supporters" yell at me for pointing to the longest combos in Brawl being chaingrabs.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This is the issue here. Combo videos and some random string of moves that just happens to work based solely off of prediction and not reaction is not what we're looking for when we say "there are no combos."

The closest Brawl gets to combos are utilt utilt utilt at 0% and other silly, repetitive, boring traps. Those aren't combos either.
Fair enough. Check out the non-combo in the last 20 seconds of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwHIQBTaTp4

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
What... what the crap was that?! A ) Congrats on that Lucario player for making it seem like he wasn't capable of pulling something like that out at the last minute; I'm sure Dedede felt like an idiot, and B ) ...I'm so glad I play Lucario. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom