• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cless

Smash Champion
You can spike people through the water and while they're swimming, the gravity changes in Pokemon Stadium 2, the bombs are hella easy to dodge.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You can spike people through the water and while they're swimming, the gravity changes in Pokemon Stadium 2, the bombs are hella easy to dodge.
Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned anyways, and the bombs, though semi easy to avoid, are uber powerful. And you CAN spike people through the water, but its very difficult if they're not at huge damages. Also, shenanigans.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Everyone is too good in Brawl. There is no ground where people suck at. It's kind of like Mario Kart Wii, everyone and anyone can win with just camping and getting lucky.

*Yawns* I've playing too much MK64 anyways that's the problem with Brawl. Where's the metagame? I don't see it.
You can see the metagame, its almost what we are playing now, probably doesn't take much imagination to get a look at it.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
It is though, what we should banned Greens Greens because the apples give health? =/ Pirate Ship shouldn't be legal. >>;
The only reason I say it shouldn't is because of the super floaty sections and the fish. Green Greens is fine, though I have a feeling that you were being sarcastic. Pirate Ship shouldn't be legal. Water screws with everything.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
The only reason I say it shouldn't is because of the super floaty sections and the fish. Green Greens is fine, though I have a feeling that you were being sarcastic. Pirate Ship shouldn't be legal. Water screws with everything.
Ok, lets takr out Delfino Plaza, Melee Pokemon Staduim that has water, Norfair, Melee Norfair oh wait and Rainbow Crusise too because they all have hazards. Oh wait FD has ledges that has hazrads too. Yea....

10char.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Ok, lets takr out Delfino Plaza, Melee Pokemon Staduim that has water, Norfair, Melee Norfair oh wait and Rainbow Crusise too because they all have hazards. Oh wait FD has ledges that has hazrads too. Yea....

10char.
Yea gotta love that awesome Melee Norfair stage, good ****...

e105beta

Smash Journeyman

10char.
There's a big difference between hazards and water. Also Pokemon Stadium doesn't actually have swimming water, and Delfino Plaza might need to be illegalified. I dunno. It's just there's a LOT of swimming water in Pirate Ship.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
pockyD, Zulu, and Alukard, looks like I was right about there not being another FC this year >_>

The Kishes have too much on there hands. I know one of them has a child now.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
that 1 guy, we're not going to have an infinite number of matches to get rid of the random variable.

xzax, what's wrong? Can't dodge the bombs? Bow of the ship too much for you? Don't like swimming?
I didn't say an infinite number of matches. I also stated that my solution was pretty unlikely too. Please read the whole post before you start criticizing.

Cless

Smash Champion
You shouldn't have suggested it in the first place as it wasn't going to happen anyway. Pointless solution is pointless.

Riemann

Smash Cadet
This is not what I mean. I mean if you could calibrate players to a scale, if you could create Melee players with skill levels 6 and 5, the player with skill level 6 will win x% of the time. If you could create two entirely different Brawl players with skill levels 6 and 5, the player with skill level 6 will win y% of the time. It is my claim that x>y.
Scar, my largest problem with this debate is how you define, or rather fail to define, skill. Is your definition of skill knowledge of technical maneuvers? Is it ability to continue a combo once it is started? Is it ability to predict an opponent? I know of people with plenty of "technical skill" who will lose all the time to people who don't have much. Of course I realize that you likely define skill a combonation of all of theese and more. But then how do you measure level of skill? Shouldn't level of skill be determined based on how often person A beats person B? I say this because you somehow manage to define skill as some abstract concept, then base the outcome of a set of matches off that. In my opinion you should watch a set of matyches and base skill off of that.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Squares can't attend smash tournaments because they have all them teeth, and no toothbrush...

It also doesn't help that they have no HANDS.

God Pink Reaper you are such a s-c-r....um-u-....-k...-r-s-t-u-j-g-f-x-z-q...

YEA! >=D

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
There are 194 pages in this thread.

This topic has been debated, ridiculed, and answered nearly 150 pages back.

Now, there is simply a relaxation from both sides to shoot the breeze.

Why try to fight a battle already won?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Exactly. ANYWAYS: *pound* 4, my house, need TV's and Cubes, yest CUBES. MELEE ONLY. Singles start somewhere around noon on the sixth and can go till the seventh. Dave's Stupid Rule is in affect, Wobbling is NOT banned, however wobbles the Phoenix is. FD, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, FoD, Dream Land 64 and Yoshi Story are Neutral Picks. Mute City, Corneria, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats and Green Greens are Counter Pickable. EVERYTHING ELSE IS BANNED. Also, I like pie.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Exactly. ANYWAYS: *pound* 4, my house, need TV's and Cubes, yest CUBES. MELEE ONLY. Singles start somewhere around noon on the sixth and can go till the seventh. Dave's Stupid Rule is in affect, Wobbling is NOT banned, however wobbles the Phoenix is. FD, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, FoD, Dream Land 64 and Yoshi Story are Neutral Picks. Mute City, Corneria, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats and Green Greens are Counter Pickable. EVERYTHING ELSE IS BANNED. Also, I like pie.
Will there be video afterward?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'd so go to pound 4 if it wasn't for the fact that I live on the other side of the U.S. and have two days of melee at FAST1 to look foward to which is going to be like only a hour away from my house.

lol

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I think it's a great idea to define "competitive," but there are some things I am concerned with, within the definition. You say "competitive" means whoever should win, will win. According to this a "whoever can clap the longest contest" is more "competitive," than Melee (G&W hammer and Peach's turnips). But I am sure we can all agree on that Melee is deeper and more competitive (note absence of quotes) than clapping hands. So if a new definition was made I could support your opinion much more.

Beat

Smash Ace
Scar, my largest problem with this debate is how you define, or rather fail to define, skill. Is your definition of skill knowledge of technical maneuvers? Is it ability to continue a combo once it is started? Is it ability to predict an opponent? I know of people with plenty of "technical skill" who will lose all the time to people who don't have much. Of course I realize that you likely define skill a combonation of all of theese and more. But then how do you measure level of skill? Shouldn't level of skill be determined based on how often person A beats person B? I say this because you somehow manage to define skill as some abstract concept, then base the outcome of a set of matches off that. In my opinion you should watch a set of matyches and base skill off of that.
He does, actually, usually discuss his problem with the ratio of how often player A beats player B to how often the opposite can happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom