• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Not liking=/= Bad tourney game for others.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad game for tournaments. If you don't like Brawl, that is fine and you can play melee, However don't go around saying that people who prefer brawl are somehow noobs because your prefrences are more correct.

I acctually like the initial campy-ness of brawl because it keeps people who are unwilling to think and try new things away from the competative scene.

See, Something you may think a negative i see as a positive. But you're more right because you are.
There is a large difference between not liking and bad game for a tournament.

...Campy-ness of Brawl make it not tournament viable. Every single fighting is always offensive in a way that your defense is sometimes your offensive. What Brawl does is take that stupid idea of trutling and made it basically like a joke.

The Campy-ness of Brawl makes fighting games of 1995 are, slow, pick and up play non-tournament games. The exception in 1995 was KoF (if you don't know what that is look it up).

If you only like Brawl because "When I camp, I win". That makes you a scrub and part of the problem.

Since when in the hell fighting games were about Camping?

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
Did I say you were wrong you pretentious *** bucket? No, I just said I doubt you. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right, just that I was suspicious of such a statement. Go get your professor to cram your *** and give you an A+!
Do you need a tissue to dry your tears with?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
See: Mew2King, who prefers Melee to Brawl, is winning Brawl tournaments with Dedede. His strategy largely consists of spot-dodging, rolling, grabbing, and edgeguarding you. He seems pretty comfortable not willing to try new things but still winning.
Dang, you owned that dude. lol

Anyways, I've also noticed that punishing broken tactics is very hard in Brawl. Props to M2K for abusing them.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
^ pwned again!

I'm baffled by the people that say that Brawl is more about mindgames and prediction because it's slower... if it's slower and there's less options, it's easier to predict what your opponent is going to do, and you have less options yourself... which means that there's less to think about.

What is the counter argument to my above statement? That you have to think "harder" about your two or three options or "work harder" to get better spacing??? I honestly can't think of a logical justification.

The pro-Brawl argument on this top seems to be that less options somehow lead to more mental depth. W-what the ****???

When you've perfected the spacing of your chosen character's spammable attack (or proj spam), you don't really have to outthink the opponent anymore.

I highly, highly doubt anyone can defeat this argument without noob logic.
I seriously think you are a troll that just posts "pwned!" every time coreygames says something in response to others. I have not been 'pwned' in any way, it's just a disagreement.

Anyway, I can't see any other way to respond to this except with a point-to-point analysis. It's the best way to counterpoint an argument. We can agree to just let it off afterwards, but I can't reply to this with just a short message. I just know that there is no way we can settle this at this point, so from now on, we'll agree to disagree. Just so you know, I happen to like this color/font combination, as it is easier for my eyes than plain white,

To make it easier for you, though, I'll list my main argument right now. In Melee, you had options if you didn't execute everything perfectly. You had wavedashing to space yourself any way you wanted it, and L-Canceling to remove some of the lag from your aerials. In Brawl, you have to think about the way you execute your attacks before you use them, because you have no L-Canceling if you miss the attack and no wavedashing to space yourself. In proportion, you were punished more in Melee, and punished less in Brawl.

What we simply need is for the metagame to develop. Yeah, now, the best way to win is to find some type of safe defense and abuse it like heck, but all it takes is for people to find some way to beat that strategy and we'll have to advance our metagame all over again. Remember that a Link player, Aniki, was one of the best Melee players in 2004. He incorporated projectiles with his attacks and had no need for wavedashing (since it wasn't use widespread yet). Other players were able to beat this style by making their players faster with their AT's. Brawl players just have to find some other method. Do not doubt, though, that it will eventually happen, and pressure players will be able to beat campers.

Will the metagame be as advanced as Melee? Probably not. Will that mean that this game will be less competitive than Melee? That's just a matter of which playstyle you prefer.

Now, I will dissect coreygame's argument by just listing the paragraphs. I'm not forcing you to read it, I'm just saying what I think about what you said.

#1) The wording may have been better, but I essentially meant what you said. The point is you have not played anyone that your strategy couldn't beat, which means you just need to play better people. Sadly, having this game online means that you will mean exponentially more scrubs than good players.

#2) I use Fox because he is one of the most technical characters to play as and also the top-tiered character, not to mention he can use a move that comes out in one frame and leads you open to punishment if it hits. You have much less of a window to think in Melee than you do in Brawl, which is why I usually state that the person with the quickest mind and fingers will win in Melee, which the person with the smartest mind will win in Brawl. Of course, there will be exceptions.

#4) I know how awful Jiggly is in Brawl. I'm just saying it's unfair to compare one of the deepest characters in Melee to a pretty linear character in Brawl (ftilt, chaingrab, waddledees, rinse and repeat). Metaknight, Snake, Pokemon Trainer, they have substantially deeper styles than Dedede does, and comparing those characters to those in Melee will give you a better understanding of the issue. I would have to say, though, that Jigglypuff is much more varied than Fox, Falco, Marth, Captain Falcon, or Sheik is at the competitive level.

#6) I asked you that question because you said you would admit to Brawl being more balanced when you get beaten by a Yoshi player in a tournament. Besides, we don't even have tiers yet in Brawl, so we don't know who the lower-tiered characters are, but I'm sure that these characters will have a greater chance of winning than similar characters in Melee. Not knowing about the competitive scene until I joined this forum (due to the fact that there are absolutely no melee players where I live), I have very limited tournament experience. I did, though, get thrashed by Eggm's Yoshi. Twice.

#7) This is really the argument I stated above. In Melee, you were able to get away with not being perfect with your character because you had AT's to compensate for it. In Brawl, you have no such options. Especially with characters who can't spam, you have to play your character perfectly or you get beaten. You have fewer good moves, so you have to find some way to shake it up or else people will predict you and you'll get exposed. Simple as that. In the case of Wobble's Pichu, I hardly see what advanced techniques Pichu has that everyone else doesn't have. In that case, it's just a matter of Wobbles learning his character perfectly and using everything to his advantage. Same principle applies in Brawl.

#8) I was trying to differentiate between people at least trying to find some type of strategy to get around spammers against the scrubs who go "I can't take the spamming, I'll just play as a spammer and just press b all the time and outspam him." The point is, good players TRY to overcome their weaknesses using their own strategies.

This argument is never going to go away.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nah... and it seems like people with different colored text/fonts aren't going anywhere soon either. You know how hard it is to read walls-of-text with some of you people? Geeze! You may not have to read it like that, but the rest of us do!

BTW, Brawl sucks.

Eggm

Smash Hero
guys slower obviously slower equals more mindgames dontcha know? That's why I play melee on 1/2 speed 2x the mindgames

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

#2) I use Fox because he is one of the most technical characters to play as and also the top-tiered character, not to mention he can use a move that comes out in one frame and leads you open to punishment if it hits. You have much less of a window to think in Melee than you do in Brawl, which is why I usually state that the person with the quickest mind and fingers will win in Melee, which the person with the smartest mind will win in Brawl.
Umm... isn't thinking quicker than your opponent a good thing? Doesn't that also apply to brawl. I fail to see how having more time to think suddenly makes quick thinking less important. Wouldn't the quicker thinker also be able to think farther ahead, since he has more time to do so? "Smart" thinking and "Quick" thinking are not exclusive traits and both were very present in melee. Try spamming drillshine combos against a Marth and see what happens.

# I would have to say, though, that Jigglypuff is much more varied than Fox, Falco, Marth, Captain Falcon, or Sheik is at the competitive level.
Jigglypuff is one of the most one dimensional characters in melee! You drift in, do an aerial, and drift out. Jigglypuffs entire metagame relies on spacing fairs and bairs for the majority of her matchups.

Shiek on the other hand has to play very differently against Fox than against Marth. Marth vs Falco is completely different from Marth vs Fox.

#6) I asked you that question because you said you would admit to Brawl being more balanced when you get beaten by a Yoshi player in a tournament. Besides, we don't even have tiers yet in Brawl, so we don't know who the lower-tiered characters are, but I'm sure that these characters will have a greater chance of winning than similar characters in Melee.
Well actually, anyone considered mid tier or higher were tournament viable characters, and you'd often see people playing characters as low as Doctor Mario, with the ocassional Gannondorf here and there. Melee had more variety than people give credit for.

#7) This is really the argument I stated above. In Melee, you were able to get away with not being perfect with your character because you had AT's to compensate for it.
Those same ATs are what severly punished every mistake you made. Apparently your definition of perfect is different from everyone else's definition. Our definition was "played to the highest possible level," which included ATs, spacing, ect. Playing with ATs is part of playing perfectly.

In Brawl, you have no such options. Especially with characters who can't spam, you have to play your character perfectly or you get beaten.
Oh really? I can leave myself completely open to an attack, take one hit, and DI out of there range, escaping with only about 10% more damage. In melee if I did such a thing I'd easily take between 30% and death depending on how well I react to the following hits. Seems like playing perfectly was more important in melee, because you recieved more punishment for not playing perfet there.

You have fewer good moves, so you have to find some way to shake it up or else people will predict you and you'll get exposed.
Or you just spam the few good moves. Duh. If an attack is completely safe on block (Marth's f-tilt/d-tilt/fair. Some of Metaknights stuff. All projectiles) then you can just spam that and they can't actually punish you for it. And when I say can't, I mean they are litterally out of your reach and if you block or dodge their attack it doesn't matter since you have no way of reaching them.

#8) I was trying to differentiate between people at least trying to find some type of strategy to get around spammers against the scrubs who go "I can't take the spamming, I'll just play as a spammer and just press b all the time and outspam him." The point is, good players TRY to overcome their weaknesses using their own strategies.
And that's not the point he was getting at. He was saying that it really is one of the best strategies. You don't like spamming? Either learn a character that effectively gets around spamming, or play a character that spams better. If your character doesn't fit either of these, tough luck. Your matches will just be very long and consist of you shielding or dodging for the majority of the match and hoping that you could get a few good hits in. However, if the person spamming is actually good (as in, at your skill level) then he's at a large advantage simply because his job is so much easier than yours.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Umm... isn't thinking quicker than your opponent a good thing? Doesn't that also apply to brawl. I fail to see how having more time to think suddenly makes quick thinking less important. Wouldn't the quicker thinker also be able to think farther ahead, since he has more time to do so? "Smart" thinking and "Quick" thinking are not exclusive traits and both were very present in melee. Try spamming drillshine combos against a Marth and see what happens.
Quick thinking is much less viable in Brawl than in Melee because Melee is much more of a pressure game than Brawl is. Quick players are much streamlined in having their thoughts come as quickly as possible. Smart players try to expand all of their options and come up with the best solution for everything. They are both present in both games; Melee is just faster and Brawl is just different. I'd like to mention that I hate Melee Foxes.

Jigglypuff is one of the most one dimensional characters in melee! You drift in, do an aerial, and drift out. Jigglypuffs entire metagame relies on spacing fairs and bairs for the majority of her matchups.
Jigglypuff has many more options than weaving in and out with aerials. Mixing aerials with grabs, various ground attacks and trying to lead into rests makes for an incredibly advanced mindgame. All characters have to worry about their matchups with other characters.

Well actually, anyone considered mid tier or higher were tournament viable characters, and you'd often see people playing characters as low as Doctor Mario, with the ocassional Gannondorf here and there. Melee had more variety than people give credit for.
I agree with this for the most part. Your list, though, constitutes for about half the characters in Melee, and even those, only about 9 of them are really played at the top of the competition. Brawl is going to have much more than that competing for titles.

Those same ATs are what severly punished every mistake you made. Apparently your definition of perfect is different from everyone else's definition. Our definition was "played to the highest possible level," which included ATs, spacing, ect. Playing with ATs is part of playing perfectly.
My wording certainly seemed weird there. I'm not trying to pass off as an elitist by shoving a different definition of "perfection" in here. What I'm trying to say is in Melee, you combine "perfecting your character" with "perfecting advanced techniques" to get perfection. In Brawl, all we have is "perfecting your character." So you better find a way to do that if you hope to win. Advanced techniques may save you in Melee, but it won't work in Brawl.

Oh really? I can leave myself completely open to an attack, take one hit, and DI out of there range, escaping with only about 10% more damage. In melee if I did such a thing I'd easily take between 30% and death depending on how well I react to the following hits. Seems like playing perfectly was more important in melee, because you recieved more punishment for not playing perfet there.
If you are down a stock in Melee (due to said punishment you have there), you can recover by finding an opening and comboing them. Alas, if you find yourself down a stock in Brawl due to the same imperfect play, you're really in trouble.

Or you just spam the few good moves. Duh. If an attack is completely safe on block (Marth's f-tilt/d-tilt/fair. Some of Metaknights stuff. All projectiles) then you can just spam that and they can't actually punish you for it. And when I say can't, I mean they are litterally out of your reach and if you block or dodge their attack it doesn't matter since you have no way of reaching them.
And that's not the point he was getting at. He was saying that it really is one of the best strategies. You don't like spamming? Either learn a character that effectively gets around spamming, or play a character that spams better. If your character doesn't fit either of these, tough luck. Your matches will just be very long and consist of you shielding or dodging for the majority of the match and hoping that you could get a few good hits in. However, if the person spamming is actually good (as in, at your skill level) then he's at a large advantage simply because his job is so much easier than yours.
When played properly, players will know how to get around spamming with any character they like. Since spamming is going to be used by everybody (and I'm not disagreeing that it is the best strategy, because it is as of now), they'll just get past that bump sooner. Then this "large advantage" suddenly doesn't become more than a slight burden. Then people may have to deal with all aspects of gameplay other than how to beat spamming.

Eggm's posts make me laugh.

You're right about the font, coreygames. It is a pain to read. I'll edit so that my walls-of-text will be white from now on. I don't change the color to be awesome, it's just a preference that I do for all my posts. Looks like you beat me on that front.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
i tried eggm's idea, it works great, i mean, it's just like brawl! slower means more mindgames, wow, how could i have been so blinnnnd

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
When played properly, players will know how to get around spamming with any character they like. Since spamming is going to be used by everybody (and I'm not disagreeing that it is the best strategy, because it is as of now), they'll just get past that bump sooner. Then this "large advantage" suddenly doesn't become more than a slight burden. Then people may have to deal with all aspects of gameplay other than how to beat spamming.
It's a "fireball trap." Spamming a single thing over and over isn't particularly stressful to the person doing it, but it can severely limit the options of the person it's being used against. And, once the opponent finally gets past the trap, only then does he get to see which approaches will still get punished.

See: ST2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VnG-OBPYa2I

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
guys slower obviously slower equals more mindgames dontcha know? That's why I play melee on 1/2 speed 2x the mindgames
No, that's not true. If Brawl limits your options, less mindgames are available. Making it slower ensures that they happen more often. So yes, in Brawl you will see mindgames happen more often than in Melee, but there aren't more mindgames to choose from.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's not a show, it's just a visual novel game. It's called Ever 17.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
See: Mew2King, who prefers Melee to Brawl, is winning Brawl tournaments with Dedede. His strategy largely consists of spot-dodging, rolling, grabbing, and edgeguarding you. He seems pretty comfortable not willing to try new things but still winning.
If what you say is true then brawl must have a degree of competitiveness. By winning consecutively, Brawl must have that property that allows the best to win.

In my earlier post I missed a few key points but It seems that they make little difference in affecting my main point, which is brawl is competitive because the best can win and will win. It seems I don't even need to find decent pro-brawl statements to support this so much because the pro-melee side has made the most impact in coming up with this conclusion.

Sure anyone can pick up spamming and such, but can anyone truly be the best at it. If camping is truly this great strategy then the best players in the game will be the ones that can camp the best. If they are the best player then they will win consecutively. If they win consecutively then brawl has a degree of competitiveness.

Something I do wonder though, so stay with me, What if camping wasn't the end all way of winning? What if there was a way to break through this defensive strategy? The game would progress in a different direction. The best camper would have to adapt a new strategy or he/she won't be the best anymore. With which we will have a new best player. Does this mean that all our old data is useless and that the competitiveness starts all over at square one again. This really baffles me as if a strategy is found then I think many people will feel, brawl is a deeper game and a more potentially competitive game even though we may have lost our best player and we have to start all over measuring the consecutive wins of this new best player. Does this mean that a game has to reach a stable point until we are accurately able to measure its competitiveness? This idea goes with any game. If the game is changing at a rapid pace then there may be variations on who is the current best depending on who has more skill at any given time. Just by explaining this it seems to be a difficult concept to grasp.

So say player A is the best. He/she wins all the major tournaments. Then player b comes along and discovers a groundbreaking tech or strategy and beats player A consecutively. Then player C discovers and even better tech or strategy and beats player A and B consecutively. This allows room for multitudes of new things to arise in which a different player will have the advantage. For arguement and hopefully simplicities sake, lets say that A's strategy evolves a bit and athis allows him to beat player C. Yet he still cannot beat player B who still cannot beat player C. So who is the best? Was it player A, B, or C?

This leads to the question of who is the best? We simply can't find the competitive value of a game until we pin this question down also. Is the best simply the player who wins the most? the one who does the best at tournaments? the one with the longest win streak? or the one with the highest win percentage? Each option has its merits and yet they also have faults. I think this would be a good topic for future discussion.

In order to measure this though we would need a good bit of win and loss data from players that are generally accepted to be "good, not necessarily the best since that will be determined by the data.

In light of this I am starting to feel this debate is a little premature we simply don't have the win loss data to make an accurate statement on who is the best and whether they win consecutively or not. We can however theorize whether or not brawl has this competitive property or not, but without the data we can not determine to what depth of competitiveness that brawl has.

Another question I have is what is wrong with camping/spamming/turtling/whatever? It just seems to make sense to me that a strategy of low risk high reward would be the optimum choice no matter what game your playing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't even know what you're debating over. I was just pointing out to Koga claiming that the current metagame made people unwilling to try new things out leave Brawl and that it was for the better; that Mew2King wasn't trying anything new, didn't just leave Brawl, and was still winning.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I don't even know what you're debating over. I was just pointing out to Koga claiming that the current metagame made people unwilling to try new things out leave Brawl and that it was for the better; that Mew2King wasn't trying anything new, didn't just leave Brawl, and was still winning.
I may have misinterpreted your statement. I do understand that it was simply a reply to koga, however it seemed on my first read through that it showed there were/are players that are winning consecutively in Brawl, which means that the randomness and ability of easy pickups has not hindered the competitiveness of Brawl as much as may have been perceived.

The rest however is some questions I have about the current definition of competitiveness and the definition of best. After the initial paragraph, the rest has little to do with your quote.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, sure, the game is competitive. I just don't like the current dominant tactics in singles, but that has nothing to do with its competitiveness or how good of a game it is. :p

Koga

Smash Journeyman

Well that being true, there's the realy solid posibility that the people he plays against are just retired to the idea that brawl is campy and thus don't even attempt to advance the meta game. Maybe these people will stop playing brawl, maybe they wont. But arent they kinda Meta-game deadweight and detrimental to discussions?

that's my opinion though.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Well, sure, the game is competitive. I just don't like the current dominant tactics in singles, but that has nothing to do with its competitiveness or how good of a game it is. :p
Of course anything can be made completive really so I don't think there was any question of that. It is just this competitiveness that has me stumped. It seems like a definitive answer is within grasp but the more I ponder the solution the more questions appear that must first be weeded through. From how this topic has gone it seems that competitiveness is something we can prove definitively and agree upon while how good the game is, is something we could debate until we all get carpal tunnel.

So Ankoku, I was wondering do you think it is possible for the dominant tactic of Brawl to change?

Also I was wondering about the dominant tactic, from what people have posted as proof that defense is the best strategy, it seems that the game still progresses. It is not like one person hits someone then plays keep away to win by default. Maybe this is how people perceive the game will turn into. It just seems that even with a heavily defensive game you can still have interesting matches but maybe I am missing something.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well that being true, there's the realy solid posibility that the people he plays against are just retired to the idea that brawl is campy and thus don't even attempt to advance the meta game. Maybe these people will stop playing brawl, maybe they wont. But arent they kinda Meta-game deadweight and detrimental to discussions?

that's my opinion though.
The people he plays against are trying to find the best tactics they can in Brawl. Mew2King won against Vidjogamer, one of the more aggressive Meta Knight players I've seen. The fact is, if Mew2King feels camping is the strongest strategy in Brawl, then there's nothing stopping him from doing his best to prove that. He's stated that he plays Brawl because there aren't many people who play Melee any more; and, Smash, being a multiplayer game, is no fun alone.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Also I was wondering about the dominant tactic, from what people have posted as proof that defense is the best strategy, it seems that the game still progresses. It is not like one person hits someone then plays keep away to win by default. Maybe this is how people perceive the game will turn into. It just seems that even with a heavily defensive game you can still have interesting matches but maybe I am missing something.
Defensive play was the strongest strategy in Melee, too. But there was a heavy enough punishment game that you better be **** good at defensive play, or you'll be destroyed. In Brawl, defensive play is still strong, and it's been strengthened with the changes to the game engine, and in return, the punishment game is... not as punishing?

Defensive is not the same as camping. It simply means that you are rarely the first to make an approach. The camping/turtling style is an extreme style that is happening a decent amount in Brawl.... all-out aggressive style seems exclusive only to certain characters.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
The people he plays against are trying to find the best tactics they can in Brawl. Mew2King won against Vidjogamer, one of the more aggressive Meta Knight players I've seen. The fact is, if Mew2King feels camping is the strongest strategy in Brawl, then there's nothing stopping him from doing his best to prove that. He's stated that he plays Brawl because there aren't many people who play Melee any more; and, Smash, being a multiplayer game, is no fun alone.
Well, that's fair. However One player i don't feel a meta-game makes. If you were to take the meta game of say, smashboards, Most people really are retired to not attempting to beat camping and just say that brawl promotes camping and that's that. They deny this but their posts say otherwise.

What i don't get is why People don't play reflector characters more? That alone really beats camping. At least it gets you within attack range. Vs a shielding character is a different game though.

Another thing is that all the defensive options that the defending player has, those are also available to the attacking player. If I'm afraid of my opponent doing anything out of a shield i can just airdoge it to shield and the we're reset to neutral, maybe they execute their dodge wrong on their counter attack, or maybe you foxtrot without attacking, or give an empty shorthop baiting out their defensive measure and then punish it. Once you land a hit, you enter a master mindgame battle, where only the most mentaly agile can come out victorious.

I just don't see why people don't really attempt this disscussion in the Tactical forum.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, that's fair. However One player i don't feel a meta-game makes. If you were to take the meta game of say, smashboards, Most people really are retired to not attempting to beat camping and just say that brawl promotes camping and that's that. They deny this but their posts say otherwise.
Most people? No, not at all. Brawl does promote camping, though. There are clearly no repercussions for using a projectile when you're on the other side of the stage.

What i don't get is why People don't play reflector characters more? That alone really beats camping. At least it gets you within attack range. Vs a shielding character is a different game though.
Because all reflectors have a somewhat laggy put-away time, during which time the projectile user can punish you for using your reflector to predict a projectile. It has its uses, but since most reflectors take time to put away, you can't just go spamming it like you can a powershield.

Another thing is that all the defensive options that the defending player has, those are also available to the attacking player. If I'm afraid of my opponent doing anything out of a shield i can just airdoge it to shield and the we're reset to neutral, maybe they execute their dodge wrong on their counter attack, or maybe you foxtrot without attacking, or give an empty shorthop baiting out their defensive measure and then punish it. Once you land a hit, you enter a master mindgame battle, where only the most mentaly agile can come out victorious.

I just don't see why people don't really attempt this disscussion in the Tactical forum.
The thing is, your landing a hit depends on you getting past the defense and landing the hit first. In Melee, if you screwed this up, you'd get hit away. In Brawl, if you screw this up, you'd get hit away. Same concept.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Most people? No, not at all. Brawl does promote camping, though. There are clearly no repercussions for using a projectile when you're on the other side of the stage.

Because all reflectors have a somewhat laggy put-away time, during which time the projectile user can punish you for using your reflector to predict a projectile. It has its uses, but since most reflectors take time to put away, you can't just go spamming it like you can a powershield.

The thing is, your landing a hit depends on you getting past the defense and landing the hit first. In Melee, if you screwed this up, you'd get hit away. In Brawl, if you screw this up, you'd get hit away. Same concept.
Only DDD has a projectile that doesn't punish him for it being reflected.

Lets use pit for example since he is probably the most Chronic camper.

If i reflect his arrow, him getting hit by it more than makes up for whatever lag my reflector has on put away.

and i didn't even mention powershielding.

and once you get a hit, you really are at an advantage. Because now you're opponent is in the "Reaction" State and you're in the "Action" state and you have the advantage of being able to read their Reactions and punish each one accordingly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Only DDD has a projectile that doesn't punish him for it being reflected.

Lets use pit for example since he is probably the most Chronic camper.

If i reflect his arrow, him getting hit by it more than makes up for whatever lag my reflector has on put away.

and i didn't even mention powershielding.
Pit can redirect the arrow away if he thinks you're going to use a reflector. He can then run up and grab or hit you. Or shoot another arrow if he thinks you're about to let up on the reflector. Powershielding only works if you know something's about to hit. Pit can change up his arrow timing. Beating projectile camping by standing still is rarely a winning plan. There are ways around it, but reflector isn't a real one - it's just a temporary solution.

and once you get a hit, you really are at an advantage. Because now you're opponent is in the "Reaction" State and you're in the "Action" state and you have the advantage of being able to read their Reactions and punish each one accordingly.
If only this were true. You're at the same "advantage" as you were just before getting the hit, because all you were doing was beating their reaction. The only change now is that he's probably in the air, and by the time you can jump up at him he's out of hitstun and can actually react. Or predict.

It's always a good idea to try to use your position to as much of your advantage as possible, but you're not at a strong advantage just because the other guy got hit. :p If that were true, Meta Knight really would be broken because he keeps hitting people already.

Scar

#HarveyDent
So I have heard a lot of things from a lot of people this last month and it got me to thinking that Brawl actually might be a fairly good game. I heard that the same people were consistently winning and that people were having fun with it.

Yesterday made me LOL.

My crew and I went to a "Melee" smashfest like an hour away, and when we got there it was literally the 4 of us playing Melee with maybe 20 people sitting there staring, probably because they weren't very high level Melee players and were just nervous to see the likes of Cactuar and the rest of the Minibosses.

Anyways someone put Brawl in on a third TV and the whole crowd started playing that game. So I mean I was a little frustrated because I could have played Melee at home with the crew instead of driving an hour to do the same thing.

They held a Brawl tournament, and gentlemen of the board, I entered. This is my story.

I picked Wolf for one reason only, Stage Scarring. I do it and laugh because of how stupid it is and the fact that I named it shamelessly after myself. Honestly, that was just so I could have a response when people asked me why I wasn't giving Brawl a shot. I would just say that I have and that I even invented an "advanced tech." LOL.

So there I was in a pool of 7 people in Brawl singles, probably one of the worst ideas ever, I think the pools alone took 3.5 hours. No offense intended to Nova, who threw the tourney, I'm sure he just didn't know, since it was intended to be a Melee tournament. I was playing 2 people who played the game religiously, 1 who played casually, 1 who never played before ever, then Cactuar and myself.

I came out as 2nd seed to Cactuar who I forfeited my set to to make pools run faster.

Since pools took so long we had to eliminate to the 2nd seed and have an 8-man, single-elimination bracket. To my great dismay I was pitted against the "best player there" in the first round. It was predicted that he was going to win the tournament and was "as good as someone can get" in Brawl.

I won the set 2-1. I lost 3 matches the entire tournament, all the other person's counterpick (FD x2, which I banned but no one knew what that meant, and Frigate Orpheon). We started out with a Wolf ditto, since we both play Wolf, and I won pretty solidly.

On frequent occasion, my opponent would laugh at the coincidence that we had both chosen to either stand in place and laser, or to fsmash. My reaction was different, I was just frustrated because it further proved the point that these are the dominant strategies of the game. The entire time, I sat there and standing lasered, and would switch my strategy to "FSmash repeatedly" were he to start coming close to me, generally by rolling.

When FSmash got too weak due to knockback deterioration, I really had to use my mind to decide to change my strategy yet again to "DSmash repeatedly." When both moves got weak, I reverted back to "laser repeatedly."

My hardest opponent was the next one, an 8-year-old named Bugz who played Metaknight and hit the B button over and over. It was so blatantly obvious that MK is the best character in the game in those matches, he's way too fast, his moves are too strong and have too much priority, he has too many recovery options for being so light, so on and so forth.

I won the first match vs him, the second one I immediately SD'd on Frigate Orpheon trying to Stage Scar, apparently that doesn't work on that stage. He proceeded to take my next stock, and I simply walked off the stage for my last stock since in Brawl there is no chance for a comeback. Instead of frustrating myself with MK, the stage itself, and the general metagame of Brawl, I figured it would be better to accept the loss and counterpick Battlefield, which I did, won, and then split for 1st place with Cactuar.

Every time I changed my strategy from "be extremely gay and ***** 3 moves over and over," I started getting *****. I would think to myself for a split second why I wasn't winning anymore and I realized it was that I wasn't sticking to the plan of standing at a distance, lasering, and then doing silly moves up close and dodging right after, or doing the silly move twice in a row.

So there you have it, folks. I have played maybe 8 or 9 Brawl friendlies since the game played out and zero tournament experience. All I did was stick to the plan. The reasons for why I hate Brawl are the same reasons for why I won the tournament. The game is too easy and anyone can win so long as they have the constitution to remain gay and not try to do anything exciting, interesting, or innovative.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If you would have had to play on smaller stages, maybe you wouldn't be able to laser too easily..

I've always thought tourneys should make smaller stage picks, nearly for Wolf's sake alone.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Scar, I'd love to play my Marth vs you and show you some wild offense, and fine use of the little hitstun in the game that does *does* exist and do some low percentage combos - actually some of them look wild and mvc style... till they hit you and the knockback cancels them out, haha. Not wanting to change your faith against Brawl, but to give you a good time in a game you've otherwise lost all believe in.

Really though, just spamming and fsmash alternating? Though its sad it worked and certainly not entirely their fault as much as it is Brawls, theres still ways around it if you're camping that simply. The fact you can approach while airdodging is one. How good were these guys?

Skler

Smash Master
So I have heard a lot of things from a lot of people this last month and it got me to thinking that Brawl actually might be a fairly good game. I heard that the same people were consistently winning and that people were having fun with it.

Yesterday made me LOL.

My crew and I went to a "Melee" smashfest like an hour away, and when we got there it was literally the 4 of us playing Melee with maybe 20 people sitting there staring, probably because they weren't very high level Melee players and were just nervous to see the likes of Cactuar and the rest of the Minibosses.

Anyways someone put Brawl in on a third TV and the whole crowd started playing that game. So I mean I was a little frustrated because I could have played Melee at home with the crew instead of driving an hour to do the same thing.

They held a Brawl tournament, and gentlemen of the board, I entered. This is my story.

I picked Wolf for one reason only, Stage Scarring. I do it and laugh because of how stupid it is and the fact that I named it shamelessly after myself. Honestly, that was just so I could have a response when people asked me why I wasn't giving Brawl a shot. I would just say that I have and that I even invented an "advanced tech." LOL.

So there I was in a pool of 7 people in Brawl singles, probably one of the worst ideas ever, I think the pools alone took 3.5 hours. No offense intended to Nova, who threw the tourney, I'm sure he just didn't know, since it was intended to be a Melee tournament. I was playing 2 people who played the game religiously, 1 who played casually, 1 who never played before ever, then Cactuar and myself.

I came out as 2nd seed to Cactuar who I forfeited my set to to make pools run faster.

Since pools took so long we had to eliminate to the 2nd seed and have an 8-man, single-elimination bracket. To my great dismay I was pitted against the "best player there" in the first round. It was predicted that he was going to win the tournament and was "as good as someone can get" in Brawl.

I won the set 2-1. I lost 3 matches the entire tournament, all the other person's counterpick (FD x2, which I banned but no one knew what that meant, and Frigate Orpheon). We started out with a Wolf ditto, since we both play Wolf, and I won pretty solidly.

On frequent occasion, my opponent would laugh at the coincidence that we had both chosen to either stand in place and laser, or to fsmash. My reaction was different, I was just frustrated because it further proved the point that these are the dominant strategies of the game. The entire time, I sat there and standing lasered, and would switch my strategy to "FSmash repeatedly" were he to start coming close to me, generally by rolling.

When FSmash got too weak due to knockback deterioration, I really had to use my mind to decide to change my strategy yet again to "DSmash repeatedly." When both moves got weak, I reverted back to "laser repeatedly."

My hardest opponent was the next one, an 8-year-old named Bugz who played Metaknight and hit the B button over and over. It was so blatantly obvious that MK is the best character in the game in those matches, he's way too fast, his moves are too strong and have too much priority, he has too many recovery options for being so light, so on and so forth.

I won the first match vs him, the second one I immediately SD'd on Frigate Orpheon trying to Stage Scar, apparently that doesn't work on that stage. He proceeded to take my next stock, and I simply walked off the stage for my last stock since in Brawl there is no chance for a comeback. Instead of frustrating myself with MK, the stage itself, and the general metagame of Brawl, I figured it would be better to accept the loss and counterpick Battlefield, which I did, won, and then split for 1st place with Cactuar.

Every time I changed my strategy from "be extremely gay and ***** 3 moves over and over," I started getting *****. I would think to myself for a split second why I wasn't winning anymore and I realized it was that I wasn't sticking to the plan of standing at a distance, lasering, and then doing silly moves up close and dodging right after, or doing the silly move twice in a row.

So there you have it, folks. I have played maybe 8 or 9 Brawl friendlies since the game played out and zero tournament experience. All I did was stick to the plan. The reasons for why I hate Brawl are the same reasons for why I won the tournament. The game is too easy and anyone can win so long as they have the constitution to remain gay and not try to do anything exciting, interesting, or innovative.
I did this same thing at a tournament and only lost to other gay strategies. I got 4th out of almost 100 people, spamming the fsmash/lasers with wolf, lasers with falco or projectiles in general with link. I only lost to PC's shield camping snake and Darc's pk fire camping lucas. Needless to say, very little fun was had.

On a side note, the most fun I've had in Brawl was teams at ESTICLE with thorn. Neither of us play Brawl much, but he plays a gay falco and I picked up zelda (whom I had no experience with). We would camp with me behind him to form a wall of gayness and projectiles. We got 5th, losing to Darc and Dazwa twice in close games. Camping is even way too good in teams.

Point and case, Brawl is really stupid at a high level. Thorn almost beat m2k with his campy falco. M2k, who learned tons of gay **** in Brawl, had retardedly close games against somebody who rarely plays but has the patience to camp all game.

Cort

Apple Head
What's the point in discussing anymore?

Don't like, people that want to play whichever game.. play whichever game? And try and enjoy it?

I don't camp with projectiles, I play intelligently, space myself, have fun, and I'm farkin goot at Brawl.

This is why I am trying to get every single player in New England to main Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom