• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB/SLO Smash: You've just activated my trap card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Dante and Caleb, call or text me when the next tournament comes.

But the thing is that I need my controller from home to play at my best.

At the last tournament we went to, I was even lucky enough that Andrew Paul (I want to know his Smash Boards SN if he has one) had a spare controller.

It was my 1st tournament I entered with an entry fee, so I didn't even know they had a "Bring Your Own Controller" policy.

Your Falco definitely improved from the last time we met, Caleb.

It was funny how you KO my Marth on Yoshi Story in the first 5 seconds with your Falco.

Dante, I need to learn how to do the Shine Turn Around Bair get up attack as a Fox (even if I main Peach).

Thanks everyone for a great Smash Fest.

I almost forgot to mention that this was my first Smash Fest.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Well here's the reasoning behind my choices of mains.

When I play my brother, he beats my Peach with his Marth and Fox about 60% of the time so I have to use Fox to play at an even level.

When he recovers with Up + B using Fox and I try edge guarding with Peach's Down Smash, he ledge techs and Side B the ledge like 100% of the time.

When I play Dante, he beats my Fox with his Fox like 100% of the time.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I main Fox in San Jose and Peach in Santa Barbara. :p

I dislike Fox versus Peach match ups too (when I'm using the Fox).

I've never played a Peach ditto at a competitive scale before so I'm not sure what it will be like.

I'm actually learning how to play as a Falco but I can't get those retreating lasers and L-cancels to work. :(

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I just moved into UCSB and I'm looking for an active Smash scene. I haven't played Brawl or Brawl+ in a really long time and Melee for even longer than that so I'd imagine I'm horrible. I also don't have any controllers or anything like that >_>. But I would like to play so hit me up if you guys start a smash fest sometime.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Last year I missed all Melee Smashfests and all Melee tournaments at UCSB except for the one in May.

Caleb, how often did we had Melee Smashfests and Melee tournaments near UCSB did we have last year?

I need to know so I can plan who to ask and who to borrow GC controllers from at certain times.

Thanks.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
But the thing is that I need my controller from home to play at my best.

At the last tournament we went to, I was even lucky enough that Andrew Paul (I want to know his Smash Boards SN if he has one) had a spare controller.

It was my 1st tournament I entered with an entry fee, so I didn't even know they had a "Bring Your Own Controller" policy.
That'd be me who let you borrow a controller which incidentally was my controller

and just so you know any serious smash gathering has a BYOC policy. I've actually never been to one that didn't have the policy

and yeah...I might come visit you guys some time in the quarter. no promises though.

I've probably gotten so bad...haven't played since I left

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Yes, I did find out that every competitive Smash gathering has a strict BYOC policy the moment I got there.

Thanks Gosu_Engineer for letting me borrow your controller for the tournament last year.

I hope to see you and play you soon, Andrew.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Just let us know if it does happen, Dantarion.

Caleb, Dante, and David, can you text me if it does happen?

Can anyone let me borrow their spare controller since I left mine in San Jose (assuming the Smashfest happens)?

Thanks.

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
How late do smashfests usually go anyway? Unfortunately, I have work until 9:30 today so I'll probably have to pass on this one.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah, it didn't happen, DSF sent me an AIM message saying "where the smash at" so I think we got confused and he thought I was planning something when I thought he was.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
3 new SB smashers.

Josh - Plays wolf/DDD, worse than me, wants to get better
Tennis Racket Guy - I dont know his name, plays rollcario, pretty bad
Steph - Just started playing Brawl but wants to get good?

I know having 3 new people who are all pretty bad doesn't seem like much, but if we wanna start a smash scene in SB area we neeed new people :D

DanteFox

Smash Champion
So how many people in the Santa Barbara Melee community are there?

1. Andrej

2. Dante

3. Josh

4. Caleb

5. David

6. Huy

7. Sweetxignorance

Anyone else?
which david are you counting? the falco player?

there's Cape and his crew. there are also some other semi-casual players who I know only by acquaintance through gosu. there are some that go to or used to go to sbcc.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
David the one who mains Falco and Captain Falcon at the last Smashfest.

Actually, now that you brought the topic up, I also remembered that there is also this one other David who was also at the last Smashfest we went to who mains Mario and plays Melee and Brawl.

So basically at the Smashfest, it was you, David (the one who mains Falco and Captain Falcon), the other David (who mains Mario and plays Brawl), Caleb, and I taking turns playing doubles.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I look forward to meeting and playing the David that attends UCLA as well as new people I have not met yet.

Dante would you know if we will be having biweeklies or monthlies near the Santa Barbara area this academic year?

Thanks.

Also, did you or anyone else in the Santa Barbara area attend Active Gamers?

I didn't. :(

DanteFox

Smash Champion
pretty sure no sb melee players that I know went to activegamers. and I don't think there will be monthlies. but hopefully a tournament at least every quarter, if it happens concurrently with the quarterly lan parties.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
i dunno about brawl but I'm sure we can get a similar setup to last year with the tech club in loma in order to have a melee tournament run side by side with the lan party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom