• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB Creates: Universal Superstar Strike (Platform Fighter)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aighty, think it's time to vote

Job 3 Moveset Layout

Cashregister9's concept cashregister9 cashregister9
AlteredBeasts's concept AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Tankmman from Newgrounds' concept Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

Please vote for your 1 singular favorite here. And yes you may vote for your own here.

Job 4 Title
Universal Studios: Islands of Brawling AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Universal Superstar Strike cashregister9 cashregister9
Universal Unrest Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP
Universus Wademan94 Wademan94
Universal Crossover The Fighting Game! @Tankman from Newgrounds
Universal Unite Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Vote for your top 2. Please only vote for your nomination second here

My votes

Move template
1. Cashregister's

Title
1. Universal Superstar Strike
2. Universal Unite

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
For moveset, I’ll go with Cashregister’s as it’s simpler than what I posed.

Titles:
1. Universal Superstar Strike
2. Universal Studios: Islands of Brawling

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Apologies if things have been a bit sluggish on my end. Again, this is kinda a more relaxed thread I'm doing on my own time, haha. Hopefully, things might ramp once I start getting into the groove of things, but we shall see

Anywho, for this coming week or so, expect jobs for more gameplay details along with movesets, stages and the like for Drac and Woody. After all of that, we'll add our next two fighters!

We'll be getting to some jobs fairly soon once we get this voting done, but first let's start some discussion here

Job 4.5: Discussion Time! What would like you to see from this roster?
Now that we know our roster size of 40, I'm interested what y'all's ideal roster for this would be like. Universal has a huge library, so there's gonna be a lotta potential options. Feel free to throw out random names you'd think would be cool or if you're really bold feel free to post your dream roster. All this may help me when deciding potential character prompts in the future, so your input is appreciated

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some things we could tap into

- Dreamworks:
Shrek. Megamind. Po. Hiccup and Toothless. There's a lot of fun options here that feel like natural fits for a platform fighter. This also gives us access to the likes of He-Man and She-Ra, Rocky & Bullwinkle and others through their owner ship of Classic Meida also we can totally add Larryboy to this game

- Illumination:
Gru. A Minon. Sing. Secret life of Pets. These films are big hits and there's definitely some fun to be had

- The Film Libery:
ET. Marty and Doc. a Dinosaur from Jarsssic Park. Bruce the Shark. Blues Brothers. Chucky. Dominic Toretto. This is proablly one of our biggest pools of characters. We can get really creative here

- TV:
B. A. Baracus. Micheal and Kitt. Xena. Columbo. Micheal Scott. The NBC side of Universal gives us a lot to play with tbh

There's also partnerships they have like Dr. Suess and things that appear at the parks like Transformers. An orignal character like one of the horror nights mascots could be cool too.

I'm definitely missing some major parts of their Libery tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Now that we know our roster size of 40, I'm interested what y'all's ideal roster for this would be like. Universal has a huge library, so there's gonna be a lotta potential options. Feel free to throw out random names you'd think would be cool or if you're really bold feel free to post your dream roster. All this may help me when deciding potential character prompts in the future, so your input is appreciated

I’ll look more into the rest of Universal’s assets, but for the moment here’s how I think the animation DreamWorks content should go:
-Shrek
- 🐈 n’ Boots
-Po
-Hiccup/Toothless
-Wolf (The Bad Guys)
-Donkey (though I can also see him added into Shrek’s playstyle)
-Princess Fiona
-Fairy Godmother
-Tigress
-Lord Shen
-Alex the Lion
-One of the Madagascar Penguins (my vote is Rico)
-King Julien
-Megamind
-Jack Frost
-B.O.B.
-Guy (Croods)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 4.5

I feel @Darkonedagger has hit all the points I wanted to say. I am mostly looking forward to how we dish out roster spots for the DreamWorks/Classic Media library of characters. Littlefoot or Fievel for other animated characters too. Even a theme park exclusive character like a horror nights mascot would be cool too to represent the theme park aspect of Universal.

Heck, I would also love to see someone like Curious George, Lassie or Voltron on the roster.

Here are some of the big IPs they own here

If we ever get to DLC, a Dr. Seuss or LEGO rep should be considered for a third-party slot given Seuss Enterprises has had a partnership with Universal for a while with films and now LEGO is planning on making their new movies with Universal. Heck, even if this game were to be on the Nintendo Switch, perhaps Mario can be a Nintendo-exclusive character due to the fact that Nintendo and Illumination are now in a partnership for movies and theme parks.

A lot to work with here.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Apologies if things have been a bit sluggish on my end. Again, this is kinda a more relaxed thread I'm doing on my own time, haha. Hopefully, things might ramp once I start getting into the groove of things, but we shall see

Anywho, for this coming week or so, expect jobs for more gameplay details along with movesets, stages and the like for Drac and Woody. After all of that, we'll add our next two fighters!

We'll be getting to some jobs fairly soon once we get this voting done, but first let's start some discussion here

Universal, as you've mentioned, has a lot to pull from. As well as its surprisingly large library of films and TV shows, though (most of which have, quite rightly, already been mentioned!), there's a couple of smaller things that could potentially be interesting to see represented here as well - though I'll be the first to admit that there's the potential that the roster of 40 would limit these just a little.

First up, a point I've mentioned with Warner as well that could lead to pretty fun "guest fighters" - UMG, or Universal Music Group. Yes, UMG isn't directly related to Universal Studios, but is owned by Universal's puppeteer of sorts, NBCUniversal, which I'll get to later. Now, UMG has a lot of artists to pull from, but I would personally say that the most prominent (and reasonable) would be... the Beatles! Beatlemania, even almost 60 years on from its peak, is still something never to be forgotten - and a representation of "60s psychedelia" would be really fun to see. As for how exactly they'd be handled, I'm not 100% sure, but they would be a really fun inclusion. Another musician prominent enough to consider? Eminem - though I'm not sure how likely he'd be given the game's potential age rating? (I would mention Michael Jackson here, but he was only signed to UMG until 1974 alongside the Jackson 5.) Look, I don't think music reps should control the roster but there's at least potential there?

Y'know how I mentioned NBCUniversal earlier? I think NBC would be a good thing to pull from too, like what @Darkonedagger mentioned earlier. I'd specifically like to give a shoutout to the Syfy network - seeing things like Mystery Science Theater 3000, Stargate SG-1, or Battlestar Galactica represented (maybe as stages?) as well as maybe a couple of other things. Whilst Syfy might not be the biggest thing out there, it'd be a pretty fun way to flesh out some side-content - and I think we can all agree that Mystery Science Theater 3000 lends especially well to a stage. Also, here's a thought. Turns out that NBCUniversal own the G4 network, so yeah, ****ing Scott the Woz is not an unfeasible addition to the roster and that's... slightly scary somehow.

The thing is, there's a massive amount to pull from when it comes to Universal - especially when you open the door to other things. Overall, I'd say a healthy mix between the "WELL DUH" picks, as well as a couple of picks from other arms of Universal's reach, and one or two outright oddities, would be helpful to see. I suppose the only thing I can do is warn us all in advance that this could easily lead to rabbit holes we may have never even considered the depths of.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Great discussion! Brought my mind to potential choices I didn't even think about, haha. We'll add more characters soon enough, though we're gonna focus a bit more on the gameplay as well as Woody and Drac in the meantime.

JOB 3 MOVESET LAYOUT RESULTS

Cashregister9's concept cashregister9 cashregister9 4
AlteredBeasts's concept AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 0
Tankmman from Newgrounds' concept Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 1

We'll be using @cashregister's move template!

There will be light and heavy attacks in addition to specials

I also wanted to make it somewhat simple

Light Neutral

Light Up

Light Down

Light Dash Attack

Heavy Neutral

Heavy Up

Heavy Down

Heavy Dash Attack

Light Nair

Light Fair

Light Uair

Light Dair

Heavy Nair

Heavy Fair

Heavy Uair

Heavy Dair

Neutral Special

Up Special

Down Special

Side Special

Universe Attack (Final Smash equivalent)

Grab

Throw
This is what all moveset templates will be based on, so keep that in mind when submitting movesets.

JOB 4 TITLE RESULTS
Universal Studios: Islands of Brawling AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 1
Universal Superstar Strike cashregister9 cashregister9 10
Universal Unrest Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP 1
Universus Wademan94 Wademan94 1
Universal Crossover The Fighting Game! @Tankman from Newgrounds 1Universal Unite Northsouthmap Northsouthmap 5

Our name will be UNIVERSAL SUPERSTAR STRIKE!

Man, Cashregister has been on a roll here, haha! Anywho, gonna go and update this thread with the current new details then onto the next two jobs

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 5: Submit a gimmick to set this game apart
Let's add something to make this game really stand out from the oodles of other crossover platform fighters. It can be general ruleset switch-up, a new mechanic, or whatever.

I probably should've done this job before we did the moveset layout, but ah, well, don't think that'll affect things too too much. Just be sure to keep it in mind, when submitting the gimmick.

Job 6: submit how the Universe Attack (Final Smash-like) should be activated
So the move prompt we selected has a Final Smash equivalent in the Unverse Attack. How should that be handled?

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
For weird picks, I'll choose Abbott and Costello and The Hulk( this was for earlier)

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Job 6:
Universe attack should be activated by a condition.
Examples: Deal enough damage to a fighter. Use the first item.

Also, my name got more votes than Cashregister's with mine 11 and his 10.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 6:
Universe attack should be activated by a condition.
Examples: Deal enough damage to a fighter. Use the first item.

Also, my name got more votes than Cashregister's with mine 11 and his 10.
That was a weird typo on my end lol. Should've been 5, apologies. Cash's still has more

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 5

Unique gimmick:

Unique character items

Still going to push for some stuff from Shrek Super Slam to make this crossover its spiritual successor. Each character gets a unique weapon or item that spawns once every game for them to collect and holster until later in battle. Woody Woodpecker could get a protection mask like in the Woody Woodpecker cartoons where he can use it to spit fire or Dracula can get a coffin which could be used for healing damage. Lots of potential here.

Job 6

I feel I will have to agree with Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds and have it via a super bar. It makes it easier to balance for competitive viability and the liking.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 5 New Gimmick

We ended up only having one submission for this job. AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's character specific items!
Unique gimmick:

Unique character items

Still going to push for some stuff from Shrek Super Slam to make this crossover its spiritual successor. Each character gets a unique weapon or item that spawns once every game for them to collect and holster until later in battle. Woody Woodpecker could get a protection mask like in the Woody Woodpecker cartoons where he can use it to spit fire or Dracula can get a coffin which could be used for healing damage. Lots of potential here.
I'm gonna put a poll up top to see if y'all are interested in adding this. I'm all for it, though not sure it feels right to automatically add it all willy nilly given how big of an impact it will have, so I'll leave that up to the y'all.

Job 6 Universe Attack activation

Activated by a meter Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Activated by a condition Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Vote for your single fav here. And you may vote for your own

My vote
1. Meter

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
GIMMICK RESULTS

We will indeed be using AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's Character specific item mechanic!
Unique gimmick:

Unique character items

These will be items that will pop up later in the match that only specific fighters can pick up, so be sure to keep that in mind when developing movesets

Universe Attack prompt results
Activated by a meter Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 4

Activated by a condition Northsouthmap Northsouthmap 1

Regular Meter it is! maybe this is a no-duh, but I figured I should get this sorted out assuming this game ain't like every other platform fighter out there haha.

We do have one more gameplay prompt I plan to do, but it's not essential at the moment, and I plan to do it a bit later as a little in-between job,.

So with all that said, let's finally get started on developing our current character's movesets

Job 7 Submit a moveset + character specific item for Woody Woodpecker!
First up, Mr Uni himself, Woody Woodpecker! Submit a moveset using our template! .I also implore you to add character specific item on top of your moveset, so it and the moveset can mesh as well as possible. This goes for all movesets down the line Woody will probably be our Mario of this game, so keep that in mind when developing his moveset.

Job 8 Submit a moveset + character specific item for Dracula!
And of course, good ol'Drac. Same general shenanigans. Moveset and character specific item. Dude has a lot to work with, so I'm excited to see what y'all potentially cook up!

Don't be afraid to give characters specific mechanics if you deem them necessary

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given how big The Fast and the Furious is. It'd be a crime not to have Dom Toretto in the roster.

Also Doc Brown or Marty McFly, maybe both.

And of course you need Jurassic Park/Jurassic World in there. Rexy is a no brainer who'd certainly be in such a game given she's the face of that franchise.

As for Jaws. If not Bruce the Shark (Would they just have him swimming in the air fighting by biting and whipping his tail?). Then Martin Brody and Quint would be the best choices. I'd personally go with Quint as he would have more moveset potential.
a Dinosaur from Jarsssic Park
Rexy obviously, she's the face of the franchise after all.

But if the series were to get more then one rep. I think Alan Grant and Blue would be other obvious choices.

Last edited:

Valentinuci

Smash Rookie
Here’s some ideas for Woody:

-Since he is a bird, he could have multiple jumps. Probably five or six.

-His entrance animation is he popping out of a log and saying “Guess Who?”.

-For his specific item, Woody could use a protection mask and spit fire in any direction he wants. Opponents hit by the fire take damage and get burned.

-For his grab, Woody locks the opponent inside a barrel.

- For his throw, Woody pokes the trapped opponent with a sword, resulting in the opponent launching himself out of pain.

Will post any other ideas I have.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sorry for the absence here, haha. Got a bit sidetracked and such and just an itty bit lazy, lol

Anywho, not a lot of moveset submissions. I get it, I'm not really a full-on moveset person either lol. we've only had one submission prompt for Woody's moveset... eerrr sorta. V Valentinuci are you gonna expand your submission by any chance? Just curious. No need to if ya don't feel like it

I'll probably leave the moveset prompts up indefinitely, whenever y'all wanna tackle em, but in the meantime, let's get started on some stages

Job 9 Submit a Woody Woodpecker Stage
First up, Woody's! Submit a stage that'll be the home turf for him. Be sure to give a decent description.

Job 10 Submit a Universal Monsters Stage
Same general gist here. Though with how expansive the monsteverse is, it's not particularly essential it needs to be that closely tied with Drac, though I definitely won't reject those either, haha. remember to keep things limited to the classic films from the 30s-50s, and again, be sure to give a decent description here.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Universal Monsters Stage: Dracula's Castle

Or to be exact the outside of Dracula's Castle. Think of Battlefield on the middle of a rainy road with Dracula's Castle in the distance

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
This thread is back in action, yay! I'm not going to submit a stage for Woody since I like the idea Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario posed. However, I will submit a stage for Dracula/Universal Monsters.

Job 10:

Castle Dracula

hqdefault.jpg

This would be the Town and City of the game. The layout changes from when you go from outside of the castle to the inside of the castle like the Town and City stage. I believe Dracula should have a competitively legal stage because of its iconic status in pop culture.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Job 10 Submit a Universal Monsters Stage
Llanwelly Woods (The Wolfman): taking place in a creepy foggy forest at night, the stage is a relatively flat plane that allows them to walk off one side of the screen and warp around to the other side.

Valentinuci

Smash Rookie
Here's Woody's full moveset:

-Light Neutral: Does a quick peck forwards. If you hold the button, it turns into a rapid multi-hit attack.
-Light Up: Does a upwards kick.
-Light Down: Does a peck along the ground, like Banjo's down tilt.
-Light Dash Attack: Does a peck forwards while spins like a drill. Hits multiple times.
-Heavy Neutral: Duffy Dog (Woody's yellow dog) shows up and does a humongous bite forwards.
-Heavy Up: Woody gets a protection mask, then looks up and begins to spit fire. This move hits multiple times and can burn opponents.
-Heavy Down: Woody throws 2 dynamites, one on each side of him and once you let go of charging they will explode and damage nearby enemies.
-Heavy Dash Attack: Does a dropkick forwards.
-Light Nair: Does a spinning attack. Hits multiple times.
-Light Fair: Does a quick kick.
  • Light Uair: Takes a mallet and attacks upwards.
  • Light Dair: Does multiple quick kicks downwards, like Pac-Man's down air.
  • Heavy Nair: Does a strong aerial kick.
-Heavy Fair: Woody attacks forward with a flying broom.
- Heavy Uair: Woody gets a bat and hits above himself.
-Heavy Dair: Does a stomp downwards. Spikes.
  • Neutral Special: Throws a heavy ball forwards. Does heavy damage but doesn't go to far.
  • Side Special: Woody calls upon Sugarfoot( his horse) and dashes forward.
-Up Special: Flies upwards in high speeds. The direction can be aimed.
-Down Special: Creates an anvil out of thin air. The anvil acts like a wall and anyone that hits the anvil with a physical attack takes damage. The anvil disappears after a short time, or after bing hit enough times. If used in the air, the anvil quickly falls and hits anyone in its way.
- Universe Attack: Woody will trap the closest opponent on a barrel and send them down the Niagara Falls. Does absurd damage. It's a cinematic Universe Attack.
-Grab: Traps the opponent inside a barrel.
-Throw: Pokes the trapped opponent with a sword, resulting in the opponent launching himself out of pain.
-Woody has five jumps. He's a bird after all.
  • He's a lightweight and it's pretty fast both in the ground and in the air (Because he can fly).
  • Woody's signature item is his slingshot. It fires quick pebbles that can be aimed in any direction you want. After firing 13 pebbles, the slingshot disappears.

Top Bottom