• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
sure, its basically someone in tech committee working on getting all the on campus groups together. i believe NERD (Muir), some anime/manga club, magic the gathering club, etc. will be coming to just host small events. i was told to bring you guys, so just bring setups and have a good time. ill probably host a small friendly tourney tomorrow for those interested.

tomorrow, 5-10pm PC east, if you have questions post/call i'll try to answer them

EDIT: i'll bring ein as long as pat brings poncho :p

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Oh man. These never stop. You know there's a problem when total hours spent at smashfests > total hours spent in class.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
junkimchi.

I

am not

amused.

just kidding haha. Our first match was really tedious for me, and by the last stock, I was asking myself "why am I even doing this?" In a tournament with money, I might have had enough focus/concentration/whatever to out camp you, but I really just didn't want to play anymore, which is why I went ICs second match -____- and then every match I played after that, I was just thinking about how dumb your sheik is and almost lost to David and did lose to Lanstar LOL.

On a separate note, all of these ****ing low tiers is seriously throwing off my Peach game. I didn't really think it'd matter, until I tried to djc fair with Peach against Lanstar cuz I thought I was playing Mewtwo LOL From now on, I'm going exclusively Peach with maybe Zelda on the side. ggs guys see you maybe tomorrow.

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
we all suck.

especially eric LOL

EDIT: WE'RE STILL SMASHING TOMORROW LOL
2 PM lodge gogogoo

Jun.

Smash Lord
This game sucks

that is all.

Yeah got ***** by Jesse **** I should have played more ********. Gotta admit I played pretty **** ******** against Eric though rofl. And against Kelvin. Seriously though I've been thinking about picking up Sheik for a while now since Marth vs Peach especially is kinda iffy.

and yes

I'll camp all of you in free tournies. Free tournies are serious ****

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
This game sucks

that is all.

Yeah got ***** by Jesse **** I should have played more ********. Gotta admit I played pretty **** ******** against Eric though rofl. And against Kelvin. Seriously though I've been thinking about picking up Sheik for a while now since Marth vs Peach especially is kinda iffy.

and yes

I'll camp all of you in free tournies. Free tournies are serious ****
free tournies? u'd camp in friendlies. but its ok cuz friendlies is serious **** as well!

Jun.

Smash Lord
Generally speaking, Marth only has one (maybe two) viable killing options against peach which would be a tipped fsmash or the weaker option tipped utilt. When peach is off the stage she will come back with marth having no real way to stop her. Of course there are combos into dairs and such but at this point in the metagame, Marth isn't based on combos and is more edgeguarding and quick kills on smaller stages. Having no solid edgeguards against peach and Peach surviving hits on the bigger stages, taking stocks off of peach is much harder than putting damage on her.

On the other hand peach has an entire arsenal of edgeguarding marth.

just my 2cents. Not saying that its HARD for marth just saying that its more or less even keeping in mind the stages this matchup is played on (FD, Battlefield, FoD, PS) Yoshi/DL64 being banned, and with the other counterpicks favoring peach (DK64, Brinstar).

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
Haha, that's weird. My experience with the Peach vs Marth matchup is opposite to what you've experienced. That is to say Marth has an easy time landing hits during the edge game while Peach doesn't. But the biggest reason I think its heavily in Marth's favor is his raw speed and ability to keep Peach out. The speed in nearly all of his moves allows him to react to a lot of Peach's approaches and techs. Combine that with his retardedly long grab range and you have a Marth that can't be touched.

Or maybe I've just played with a lot of beastly Marths.

edit: rereading your post, it sounds like we're playing two different metagames. Where you have a combo-to-edgeguard mentality, I see the Marth playing more defensively and going for quick hits to rack up damage in the long run.

Jun.

Smash Lord
lol I play combo to edgeguard? Everyone in SD just chuckled a bit on the inside.

Peaches don't approach

Peaches recover high

Marth isn't about racking up damage, its about killing quickly. The longer Marth fights he is at a disadvantage and fighting Peach is quite grueling.

granted Eric is pretty good against Marth.

Jun.

Smash Lord
numbers mean nothing to me. They should mean nothing to you.

so mew2king beats armada 65% of the time? lol he should be beating him 67.5% of the time since he plays fox too. I love the odds.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
looooooooooooool jun.

calm down guys, it's just a game =/

In my experience, I believe the Marth match up is pretty even for Peach too. I definitely don't play it particularly well (I am and always will be a spacies Peach), but I know what I'm doing in the match up. The important thing in this match up just to not challenge him. Keep your spacing and bait his laggy *** fsmash and fair. A Marth in the air is just asking to be dash attacked. Once you get past his dumb sword with turnips, baiting his laggy moves, or however, just go crazy, do all the **** you can. The important thing in this match up (and most other characters when playing against Marth) is to either stay very far away or very close. In between is death. Turnips are ridiculously important in this match up, pull them, throw them, catch them, throw them more, catch them more, etc.

Like Jun said, Marth has a lot of trouble killing Peach with proper DI. In my matches with Jun and Lanstar (or the one time I played PNOY's Marth with Peach in crews), I usually don't die before 140ish on a nonbull**** stage (see: Yoshi's Story). Fthrow -> tip is very annoying though, because he WILL tip you, regardless of DI. He just needs to change up his wavedash distance. His combos are dumb, his edgeguarding is dumb (Marth edgeguards Peach very effectively... at least relative to the other chars), his sword is dumb, his grab is dumb. But his recovery sucks and is very easy to edgeguard:
If he's coming from below, float at the edge, drop a turnip and grab the ledge. He's usually dead.
If he's coming from above, throw **** at him until he uses his jump and is forced to come from below. Then see above.
Missed sweet spots will be hit by dtilt -> aerial, bair, fair, nair, dair -> nair, pretty much everything she has and he'll die.

All in all, the match up imo is decently even. It swings in Marth's favor only because the neutrals favor him more (Marth: Advantage on Yoshi's, slight advantage on Battlefield and FoD. Peach: Advantage on Dreamland. FD is neutral imo). I've played my fair share of Marths (admittedly none of them were AMAZING amazing), and I've never felt overwhelmed by any of them (haha sorry Richard. Your Marth doesn't scare me. Although your Link is a different story... =/). Okay, I lied, except Zhu. Playing against his Marth is just ********. But that's probably just because of the skill difference and not actually the match up :)

/end essay LOL

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
If Marth edgeguards Peach "well," it's only in the sense that he does it better than other characters. Peach WILL make it back to the stage against Marth, but she'll probably take about 50% in the process. Edgeguarding in this matchup is more about racking up damage than killing. Marth kills Peach with Ken combos, random tippers, fthrow-wavedash-fsmash off the stage, utilt, uair, ftilt and up-B out of shield (but only really smart Marths do this one). If he gets any kills by edgeguarding, it's usually a tipper bair at 140-160% that just kills outright. Edgehogging the umbrella is a remote possibility, but usually only when Peach gets hits off the stage with bad DI, since Marth's edgeguards tend to send people upward.

I think the idea of Marth not having the advantage in this matchup is actually a little crazy, but Peach does actually edgeguard better in this matchup and Marth dies much more easily overall.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
If Marth edgeguards Peach "well," it's only in the sense that he does it better than other characters.
Yea, I said relatively to the other characters. Puff and Sheik are probably the only characters who can edgeguard her better.

I do think Marth has a very slight advantage in this match up, but only because he has better stage controls on the neutrals. Playing Marth with Peach is just rather disheartening because a lot of times, it's a psychological uphill climb. As soon as you respawn, one hit will lead to many others, and before you know it, you're at 80+%. However, this is your safe zone. Marth has no guaranteed kills on you at this point (unless you DI like a noob). By 110ish, a lot of Marths will just spam tilts/side B, desperately trying to take your stock while not building up more damage. This is predictable and easily avoided. Your next guaranteed death is a grab at very high percents, maybe 130ish. A tipper at this point is unavoidable. This match up is often psychologically hard for me, because I'm usually slowly chipping away at Marth's life while I get 0-80ed and I usually have to bring it back percentage-wise. The priority here is to get him off stage and keep him off.

I don't think it's a bad match up at all though :)

Top Bottom