• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai oddly favored his characters in SSE...

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Why's Falcon above the rest of the cast? :p

His manliness or the falcon punch?

(Off Topic, when he says Falcon Punch! it sounds like Falc-own Punch!)

2006 Brawl Trailer

First character revealed...Meta Knight

Meta Knight proceeds t make mince meat of the entire cast. MK is unharmed. the entire battle primarily took place on the Halberd.

Sakurai usually Illustrated Meta Knight's moves on his website and gave description of his character before hand.

Meta Knight has his own victory theme.

Meta Knight is the only character in the game that can glide twice.

Meta Knight has auto cancel everything.

And that's just Meta Knight.

But honestly...I love Meta Knight. T-T

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
And considering how there's never been a space animal lower then mid tier... >_>

Yeah, so Sakurai's favorites goes:

Meta Knight > Space Animals > De3 > Kirby > Captain Falcon > the rest of the cast > Rick Wheeler. :chuckle:

:grin:
I'm pretty sure Sakurai's favorites goes more like this:

His Kirby characters > Snake > Falco > the rest of the cast.

He made Falco good, because he reminds Sakurai of his creation D3. Why Sakurai didn't make Kirby as good as another one of his creations Meta Knight is because he doesn't want people to get suspicious. Snake's maker is a good friend of Sakurai, so he made Snake good.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
If you've ever played Star Fox Assault, you know that the Great Fox is probably on par with the Haliberd, so that isn't true. But, despite the fact that there were only three characters of his actual creations, they were in most of the cutscenes.
Kirby took down the halberd with his own two hands.....

The Great Fox was destroyed when Peppy rammed it into the indestructable aparoid shield.....

Yeah.... uhhh. I don't know about that.

But I do agree about the fact that his characters were in too many cutscenes...

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
yea i think sakurai did favor his characters in brawl but hey he totally neglected kirby in melee so it was time

as for mk and dedede wouldnt you want your characters to be the best they could be in an all-star game

i feel bad for the makers of f-zero haha

he went totally overboard when making mk though

Libelldra00

Smash Rookie
I think, that Sakurai only favored his characters, but it got more upset, when I saw what he done to Peach. She has an complete other character in the SSE as in the Mario-Games. In the SSE is she so crazy and in the Mario Games she seems to be much more sensible for Example in Super Paper Mario. In te cutscenes of the SSE she offered Fox and Sheik a cup of tea or starts laughing becuase they go out, when Snake told them, they should stay in that room.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
I'll give you that one then since it's from Suckurai himself. Too bad it has little to no compliments to your arguement.
You were saying the other person was a Kirby fan in a way that implied that he was biased to defend him because of it, but in referring to Sakurai as Suckurai, you've pretty much revealed your own bias against the guy. So in the same way that you cast doubt on that other person's arguments, shouldn't the arguments you've made be taken with less value too?

Oh. About the actual topic, I played Subspace so long ago and so quickly that I didn't notice anything of the sort, and I don't remember anything specific about it, so yep. <___<;;

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You were saying the other person was a Kirby fan in a way that implied that he was biased to defend him because of it, but in referring to Sakurai as Suckurai, you've pretty much revealed your own bias against the guy. So in the same way that you cast doubt on that other person's arguments, shouldn't the arguments you've made be taken with less value too?
Yep. This -is- just a discussion after all.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Hal Labratory which helped make SSBB possible and made kirby series (i think) perfectly showed this!
He did favour kirby and co over the others so it makes sense. Don't forget the events of SSE that werent shown at all in the game.

ShadowAlchemist

Smash Rookie
Most of the people that say that the gameplay/design are similar to the Kirby series are forgetting that they're made by the same companies. Naturally, they'd wanna stick with what they're good at. My theory for why they used the style similar to the other Kirby games possibly is because Kirby is in it, so they decided to use the style similar to the Kirby games

On the subject of the Halberd vs the Great Fox, I don't really think we've seen the full extent of what the Halberd is capable of yet. Not really sure what else to say about that :D

I think the reason why there's more Kirby characters in Brawl is because there was only 1 character for the last 2 games from the Kirby series, so they brought in DDD and Metaspam to balance it out a little. Think about it, nearly every series either got a new character or kept the same number of characters: Earthbound got Lucas, Metroid got ZS Samus, Donkey Kong got Diddy Kong, Star Fox got Star Wolf, Fire Emblem stayed with 2 characters, Pokemon stayed with 4 characters, and so on

Also, Falco beat Bowser's *** pretty bad too

Just my 2 cents

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Tabuu attacks (especially teleporting) VERY VERY similair to Nightmare from Kirby's Adventure and it's remake, which i cant remember the name

Zylar

Smash Ace
On the subject of the Halberd vs the Great Fox, I don't really think we've seen the full extent of what the Halberd is capable of yet. Not really sure what else to say about that :D
That's exactly the point. Should Sakurai shown Halberd's capabilities in an all-star game?
Shouldn't he have done that in an actual Kirby game?
The Star Fox games has shown the Great Fox's armada destroying abilities, and yet it is humiliated by being rammed into a mountain!?!?!?

I could care less about everything else, except for this. I was shocked, stunned.
The only other thing I care about is that Mario and Link were running around for the majority of the plot.

(The title of this thread is funny. He ODDLY favored his characters. LOL, not too odd at all.)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Sakurai and Iwata have both had a lot of experience with Kirby. From the lobbys in Allstar and Boss Battles, to several of the bosses themselves, to the cuteness and styling of the enemys, as well as the uberness of the playable Kirby Characters, I've theorized tht Sakurai may have been trying to tip the scales in the favor of Kirby, Meta-Knight, and King Deedeedee. But that's just my own psychotic conspiracy theory. It wasn't as previlant in Melee, but it is true in Brawl that Kirby and his friends have seen a lot more of the limelight.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for not reading past the first page, these things may have been said already, but I have the feeling they won't have been said.

Kirby
He was there from the start, and was probably the most involved, although he didn't have to be.

I think if you actually tallied out the play time, Kirby would be relatively equal to most other people. Even if Kirby is used more, it could also be just the stroke of the luck that he was just the character that was used the most.

• At the very beginning, your first boss battle is with Kirby and Kirby alone due to Mario get shot off in the sky.
    Kirby and Mario are in the top five of recognizable Smash brothers characters. It makes sense that they would be at the beginning. I'm sure everyone agrees with this. Knowing that there is a boss battle directly after this fight, and one of the two characters is going to be blasted away by a cannonball, which do you think is more believable. Kirby being hit by a cannon ball, or Mario? I think if kirby got hit, he would just blob around it and not move anywhere.
  • Later on, when Bowser and Ganondorf are being attacked by all the characters, Kirby scored a critical hit on their death machine which ended the battle.
    Purely for comedic effect. The cutscene needed to be ended quickly, too. I doubt that people didn't crack up at that part of the cutscene.
  • Kirby shares the spotlight after that, until Tabuu owns everyone and trophifies them. Kirby is "miraculously" restored from an item after that.
    They needed one character to be magically revived then. What other character would have eaten a random shiny object off of the ground?
  • After that, Kirby is then responsible of saving the 2nd half of the Smash characters.
    Kirby is one of the most balanced characters (not the best by any means), and was probably the best choice to force the players to use to take on every type of enemy in the game. Would you have liked to use Olimar there? You would have gotten slaughtered. DK and other character wouldn't be fast enough to take on that many enemies, and the character needed to float to be able to take on that many aerial enemies at once. Kirby would also be the character the players were most comfortable with by then, I would think.

Metaknight
  • Metaknight probably shares one of the most awesome cutscenes with Marth in SSE.
    They wanted a sword fight. Like hell Ike or Link would move that fast.
  • The Halberd plays a huge role, despite there being many more and probably powerful ships.
    The Halberd is a sadistic and evil looking ship, it served well as a tool of evil.
  • Also, the Halberd OWNED the Great Fox.
    Because, plot wise, the Great Fox could have won.
    Also, the Halberd gets blown the hell up, remember?

King DeeDeeDee
  • Probably has one of the most controversial roles in SSE. Originally thought to be a villain, but was actually saving people?
    So he was a hero, like almost all the other characters?
  • Despite being "shown" as a villain, he was never pursued.
    A) TV logic. Of course he didn't get followed.
    B) They only really follow the Halberd, until they found the Research Facility

• Adding onto that, D3 beat the snot outta Bowser.
    Dedede is the only character who would have revived Bowser, and once again, it was plot relevant.

That's what I came up with anyways. Again I'd like to state that this is not a bashing thread and just a topic to discuss.

With that in mind, comments?

Sorry if I come off as offensive, but it's 2 in the morning. I'm not aware if I sound angry.

Top Bottom