• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai oddly favored his characters in SSE...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This isn't a bash thread. Just thought I found this interesting.

I'm one of those people who liked to play SSE and got 100% on it, and played on intense. (however, I have yet to complete the storyline on intense due to the bull****.) After playing the storyline over and over again with friends, and occasionally myself, I noticed how much more involved/favored Kirby, Metaknight, and King Dedede were than the rest of the characters.

Kirby
He was there from the start, and was probably the most involved, although he didn't have to be.
  • At the very beginning, your first boss battle is with Kirby and Kirby alone due to Mario get shot off in the sky.
  • Later on, when Bowser and Ganondorf are being attacked by all the characters, Kirby scored a critical hit on their death machine which ended the battle.
  • Kirby shares the spotlight after that, until Tabuu owns everyone and trophifies them. Kirby is "miraculously" restored from an item after that.
  • After that, Kirby is then responsible of saving the 2nd half of the Smash characters.

Metaknight
  • Metaknight probably shares one of the most awesome cutscenes with Marth in SSE.
  • The Halberd plays a huge role, despite there being many more and probably powerful ships.
  • Also, the Halberd OWNED the Great Fox.

King DeeDeeDee
  • Probably has one of the most controversial roles in SSE. Originally thought to be a villain, but was actually saving people?
  • Despite being "shown" as a villain, he was never pursued.
  • Adding onto that, D3 beat the snot outta Bowser.

That's what I came up with anyways. Again I'd like to state that this is not a bashing thread and just a topic to discuss.

With that in mind, comments?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I could see this being the truth. Then again the Halberd was a pretty strong ship in Kirby Super Star. Now don't think I'm not saying the Great Fox is a piece of **** or else it wouldn't be "great." But yeah, also in power for the characters, I noticed Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede are really strong in Brawl. I think he did in fact favor his three characters.

felix0-9

Smash Cadet
sakurai probably felt bad about how little kirby was used in melee, so he buffed him up. and meta knight and dedede just got to be that way cause that's how they are in the kirby games.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I KNOW RIGHT!? I was about to create this post and then I saw you already did. I was thinking the same thing. ;)

You also for got the part where Dedede has his cart and he's taking link and yoshi/mario and pit. Kirby comes in... WHAP! Final cutter and double saves.

Lucario is pretty awesome-seeming (despite his role being smaller). He caught snake on teh halberd! NOBODY IS SUPPOSED TO SEE HIM IN DA BOX!

Cpn Falcon was pretty BA as well... I guess that's just him though isn't it?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
It's no surprise. He definitely favored his characters in this game. I'd doubt that Metaknight was such a necessary addition to Brawl, especially over a second character for F-Zero or anything like that.

The reason is because Sakurai wanted to put MK and DDD in since he isn't at HAL anymore. He won't be able to work on a game with them for a long time. Unfortunately, his bias not only affected their game play, but the storyline of SSE too. They are WAY too favored.

I miss the Sakurai that was at least humble in the first 2 Smash games. This is way too blatant.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
i never noticed/thought about it before but when i think about it, it does make sense

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
sakurai probably felt bad about how little kirby was used in melee, so he buffed him up. and meta knight and dedede just got to be that way cause that's how they are in the kirby games.
Not in Air Ride. =(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sonic didn't have much of a role certaintly but who can deny this guy's logic on Kirby? Also D3 and Meta are among the best in the game. Yes favortism....
Sonic's crappy role was actually justified though. He was a seriously late addition into the game.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
He did favored his characters that time, true. They play a huge role in Subspace Emissary, a mode clearly similar to Kirby games. And specially for Metaknight, wasn't he the very first new character they announced? He is not such a big character in the Nintendo Universe after all. D3 or even Bowser Jr. are bigger.

Nanerz=Master of the Banana Art :)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Kirby also has tons of levels dedicated to just him, and Meta Knight is playable for the most levels of any character in the game. Dedede saved the world. Kirby got to destroy the Ganon Cannon. This could've easily been a last second way to implement Wolf and have him destroy the Ganon Cannon with his wolfen, him not needing any more personnal cutscenes beyond it, but Sakurai couldn't go without Kirby doing another awesome thing, now could he?

@Creo: The player is given the choice as to whether Meta Knight or Lucario wins.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Which explains why metaknight and king dedede are top tier
and kirby is high tier?

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Kirby also has tons of levels dedicated to just him, and Meta Knight is playable for the most levels of any character in the game. Dedede saved the world. Kirby got to destroy the Ganon Cannon. This could've easily been a last second way to implement Wolf and have him destroy the Ganon Cannon with his wolfen, him not needing any more personnal cutscenes beyond it, but Sakurai couldn't go without Kirby doing another awesome thing, now could he?

@Creo: The player is given the choice as to whether Meta Knight or Lucario wins.
That would be so epic.....

I picked LUCARIO FTW!

Mewtwo1414

Smash Cadet
Actually the tiers aren't Sakurai's doing, it's because Kirby and Meta knight are easy to pick up and play that people chose to play as them thus making them have good tournament rankings.
Ps, D3 just is the s***, thats why he's so good^-^.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
Actually the tiers aren't Sakurai's doing, it's because Kirby and Meta knight are easy to pick up and play that people chose to play as them thus making them have good tournament rankings.
Ps, D3 just is the s***, thats why he's so good^-^.
Sakurai programmed the characters though.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Coming from someone who had never heard of Kirby before the original SSB:

I definitely felt the bias Sakurai had, and it was the thing that bothered me the most about the Adventure mode. It's tricky not to cast certain characters in a greater or lesser light than they deserve, especially in comparison to others, when you're putting them all into one game where there's not meant to be an established protagonist.

A handful of characters - like Mario or Link or even Snake - could get away with being given more importance than others, be it due to significance in game quality, popularity, or their effect on the industry. Kirby's group isn't among those people; for them to outshine all the other legends in the series only upsets the balance. Roles which their characters had could easily - or would have been far more appropriately - reserved for others. If one series gets a string of moments of glory, why not all of them? It's meant to be fanservice to the entire Nintendo community after all. :(

Besides, anyone who's ever touched a Star Fox game will know that the Arwing would have taken down the Halberd in two minutes.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A handful of characters - like Mario or Link or even Snake - could get away with being given more importance than others, be it due to significance in game quality, popularity, or their effect on the industry. Kirby's group isn't among those people; for them to outshine all the other legends in the series only upsets the balance. Roles which their characters had could easily - or would have been far more appropriately - reserved for others. If one series gets a string of moments of glory, why not all of them? It's meant to be fanservice to the entire Nintendo community after all. :(
I agree, this is pretty much why I wished the developers just did a POV-based adventure mode where you just follow one character through the entire game. Sure, it's harder to do from a developer's standpoint, but at least it would've pleased everyone.

Besides, anyone who's ever touched a Star Fox game will know that the Arwing would have taken down the Halberd in two minutes.
Not too sure about two minutes, but I know that Fox and Falco has defeated entire armadas before. One assault ship would've been cake.

And the Great Fox is a powerful machine. The guns at full power can rip through shields, and it only takes a few shots to get rid of large ships. The fact that it got owned, especially in the way the Halberd did it, baffles me.

And since when did the Halberd have shields?

I wonder if anyone else noticed that Meta Knight has a different victory theme to Kirby and DeDeDe?
We all did. Makes me wonder why Bowser, Wolf, Ganondorf, and Lucario(maybe) doesn't have their own victory theme.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
The game's director is the Creator of Kirby.

The menu is in the format of "Kirby Air Ride"

The unlockable achievements reminisces the "Air Ride" achievements.

SSE is basically playing the smash version of "Kirby Super Star".

The Kirby Series has one of the most songs dedicated to it.

All-Star mode was designed by the same person who worked on "Kirby Super Star"'s "Arena" Sub game.

Kirby is given nifty hats for ALL the characters he swallows, cool fan service.

There are many Kirby related items as well...

Kirby has many many many trophies dedicated to just him.

Eh... there IS some favoritism... but it's not like it matters a lot...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Don't forget that....

DDD was another of the characters who saved the cast.
MK left by himself to stop the Halberd. So what if it's his ship? The others just stand there like idiots >_>

-:bowser:Bowser King

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
I like Kirby, but I noticed the favoritism towards the Kirby characters which annoys me to no end. Their should have been more bosses from other Nintendo games, more enemies too. the characters original to SSB series are just too lame(exept fot the hands :)) and Tabuu is impossible to not hate. I've noticed that he disappeares and reapears around the screan like Marx from Kirby Super Star( I think another Kirby boss did that but I can't remember right now).

M@v

Subarashii!
I know there is kirby favortism, but dont forget Pit plays a huge role too. Also, snake has the spotlight on halberd, and mario runs around with pit the whole game.

Krnxmatt7

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigkongboss
I agree that they kinda bs'ed the Great Fox vs. Halberd thing, but I'm kind of okay with the SSE thing.

Lucas had a nice standpoint in it, so I'm good :D

Junahu

Smash Ace
Sakurai programmed the characters though.
O RLY???
Sakurai didn't make the game by himself, and he isn't a Programmer.

In reponse to the thread topic, the development team assumedly had more leeway in regards to characterising their own characters. Plus, Kirby games are mute pantomimes to begin with, making them naturally good cadidates for SSE.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
The menu is in the format of "Kirby Air Ride"

The unlockable achievements reminisces the "Air Ride" achievements.

SSE is basically playing the smash version of "Kirby Super Star".

The Kirby Series has one of the most songs dedicated to it.

All-Star mode was designed by the same person who worked on "Kirby Super Star"'s "Arena" Sub game.

Eh... there IS some favoritism... but it's not like it matters a lot...
QFT, important stuff anyway. At least the smash characters didn't go around collecting crystal shards in order to defeat a blob of dark matter. But now that I think of it, it's similar, except for the crystal shards part. They basically have to defeat subspace, which is really similar to dark matter. By characteristics anyway.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the favoritism is blatant. I think that the only non-Kirby character to receive a really noteworthy crowning moment of awesome is Ike, and probably Sonic as well.

Tujex

Smash Ace
lol, I didn't pay any attention at all to this until I read this...mainly because I basically rushed through SSE to unlock all the characters so I could start Brawling with friends.

They did play major role, and are really good characters in terms of stats as far as regular brawls go.No one else recieved any real shining moments in SSE besides them either....except Ike, Marth, and maybe Link (after he thinks you killed Zelda). That moment was intense!

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
QFT, important stuff anyway. At least the smash characters didn't go around collecting crystal shards in order to defeat a blob of dark matter. But now that I think of it, it's similar, except for the crystal shards part. They basically have to defeat subspace, which is really similar to dark matter. By characteristics anyway.
Except Dark Matter isn't Sakurai's creation. Dark Matter/Zero/Zero Two are characters designed by Shinichi Shimomura.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand. Why is the fact that Sakurai favored his characters odd?

The reason why is pretty obvious ...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Because the Smash Brothers series is supposed to be of equal representation, and has been up until Brawl.

We know his reasons, but they're ghey.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Because the Smash Brothers series is supposed to be of equal representation, and has been up until Brawl.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, DK, F-Zero, Metroid, Kirby, and Yoshi were greatly represented in the first two.

And I like how people complain when this is Kirby's ONLY time that he's overrepresented. But NEVER EVER complain about Nintendo's love fetish of the Mario and Zelda series.

And I like how everyone ignores the other characters.

Diddy: Went through hell to save DK ala DKC2

Lucas: Actually went through character development

R.O.B.: Obvious reasons

Ganondorf: The one who planned to overthrow Master Hand

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
People aren't complaining because it's Kirby being overrepresented. People are complaining because it was very unprofessional of Sakurai to blatantly favor his own characters over others in an All-Star game.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
@GreenKirby: Ganondorf never planned to overthrow Master Hand. Based on my knowledge of the idea of the character, Master Hand is the well-respected creator, pretty much the closest we'll get to a god in the Smash Brothers universe. It seemed to me that Ganondorf was quite willfully obeying Master Hand, only attacking when he discovered that it was not Master Hand's will he was following all along.

Top Bottom