• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai doesn't deserve the bashing he gets for brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is pointless to even discuss even more. No matter who is right, people will still bash the man that doesn't deserve it.

If the Wii was more like the 360 or PS3, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Simple as that. Nintendo's "casual attitude(I still think that term is a load of bull, but it works here)" has polluted just about every 1st and 2nd party game that will be released outside of Super Mario and LoZ games.
From what I've seen, the first and second party games (minus Pokemon to a certain extent) have gotten away from the whole casual thing for the most part. I mean, we haven't seen Metroid casualized or other series. Also, we got Punch-Out! and Sin and Punishment back which only appeal to the core gamers. It's the Wii series and Touch Generations stuff that appeal to the casual players.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Metroid will never be casualized. It is too epic to be brought down to Wii Sport's level.
That's what I'm thinking. The only way they could casualize the series is to make it kid friendly. Nintendo's worked for this series to be taken seriously and they aren't going to put it in vain.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This thread is funny. You guys think that Sakurai REALLY cares about competitive smash and yet he's probably swimming in cash from SSBB sales.

We make up the minority guys.
This is the sad, sad truth. The competitive communities are like an expendable fraction of the market: they can make due with losing our loyalties if they gain new ones, or retain the majority of them. What the majority wants is to have fun by going to crazy stages and using crazy items to see if Snake is better than Mario, and what we want is a different kind of fun.

Sakurai still takes the blame for upsetting his most loyal fans, the competitive community. Other fighting games have shown to appeal to their communities (like Capcom and SF4) and are always taking criticism to make their games perfect, but Nintendo lacks this customer feedback neccesity. It's more like a corporation now that only sees sales and forgets about popularity... Sakurai deserves the hate for feeding off of people's needs for a great game, as well as promising it to be better than Melee in every way, then releasing the sad excuse of a competitive game that Brawl is.

It DID teach us a valuable lesson: hype doesn't make a game better than what it is meant to be, so next time we'll keep our hopes under control and stop daydreaming about that 'perfect' game that will end all other games.

They did a good move by hiring Team Ninja to work on the next Metroid game. I want it to be hard, and not an easy game where we can win without dying once like Prime 3 ended up being (I speak of experience, never died even on Hard mode).

Veril

Frame Savant
I agree that you only really need one person to play it, but you need multiple to make a tourney out of it, as people can't really practice without it.

IDk why people won't hack their wii's anyways. I can't stand not having BootMii. Stupid wiimotes.
That isn't what I meant at all.

It only takes one person who is able and willing to hack the wii in any area and inevitably they will end up hacking their friends wiis. That's what I've been doing. Obviously you need a bunch of people to have a competitive scene, but you only need one person to get things started within a group (to introduce people to hacked brawl and dispel all those silly misconceptions about hacking).

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
They did a good move by hiring Team Ninja to work on the next Metroid game. I want it to be hard, and not an easy game where we can win without dying once like Prime 3 ended up being (I speak of experience, never died even on Hard mode).
I actually don't. You could consider me a casual Metroid player. That would be a huge turn off if it became Metroid Gaiden. Sure, I don't want an easy game by any means. But one that is frustratingly difficult? No.

And I'm not quite sure where Sakurai ever state that he intended Brawl to best Melee. Maybe overall he did, but I'm fairly certain he wasn't talking about competitive Brawl, seeing as how he massacred any hint of Melee's depth.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I actually don't. You could consider me a casual Metroid player. That would be a huge turn off if it became Metroid Gaiden. Sure, I don't want an easy game by any means. But one that is frustratingly difficult? No.
That's where different difficulties come into play. Easy, normal, hard, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! :bee::bee::bee:

And I'm not quite sure where Sakurai ever state that he intended Brawl to best Melee. Maybe overall he did, but I'm fairly certain he wasn't talking about competitive Brawl, seeing as how he massacred any hint of Melee's depth.
He did actually hint it to be better than Melee, and we (as the competitive community) view "better" as "deeper". Maybe Sakurai just visualized a game where people laughed and joked around all day long in 4-player battle royales with all items on while winning the minigames in WarioWare, which WOULD apply to the majority of people who were expecting the next installment in the Smash Bros series. We, the competitive community, visualized a game where we would be practicing for days on end on how to perfect our characters, seeing matches where we would be on the edge of our seats everytime someone pulled off an inhuman feat (like some Melee stuff), and have the Melee pros stay as Brawl pros by passing the skill from the previous game to the next one (like SF's sequel, SF4).

Sakuai should have still listened to the gamers as a whole and looked for a compromise, as well as constructive criticism and suggestions from both parties (casual and competitive), to satisfy an even bigger number of gamers and cement his position as our favorite designer, leagues ahead of the other ones... Too bad he didn't think about this, huh? The only thing they did was the polls on which third-party characters would join Brawl (and it was intended on being 3, yet ended up on just being Sonic and Snake).

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
He did actually hint it to be better than Melee, and we (as the competitive community) view "better" as "deeper". Maybe Sakurai just visualized a game where people laughed and joked around all day long in 4-player battle royales with all items on while winning the minigames in WarioWare, which WOULD apply to the majority of people who were expecting the next installment in the Smash Bros series. We, the competitive community, visualized a game where we would be practicing for days on end on how to perfect our characters, seeing matches where we would be on the edge of our seats everytime someone pulled off an inhuman feat (like some Melee stuff), and have the Melee pros stay as Brawl pros by passing the skill from the previous game to the next one
You're assuming that melee wasn't just full of exploitable bugs. Only a couple of things from Melee that players used were meant to make it competitive. I believe Sakurais logic was more making Brawl NOT deep, but something anyone would be able to pick up and start playing(Given they'd still suck since there's still a learning curve). Adding tripping was going too far.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You're assuming that melee wasn't just full of exploitable bugs. Only a couple of things from Melee that players used were meant to make it competitive. I believe Sakurais logic was more making Brawl NOT deep, but something anyone would be able to pick up and start playing(Given they'd still suck since there's still a learning curve). Adding tripping was going too far.
Melee wasn't about exploiting bugs. Wavedash is the exploitation of the game's physics when you think about it (airdodging sends you in the trajectory you desire. Depending on your character's traction, landing in a diagonal positions should have had the same effect it has: send you sliding until you stop), and L-Cancelling just can't be a bug (you diminish your landing frames with the push of a button, and only words on aerial A-moves... It's not super specific, it seems like it was intentional, and I'd bet money to say it WAS intentional). Those two things were the basis of all the advanced movement in Melee, and also sparked the competitive Melee environment as we know it. Those things were needed in order to create Melee's "deep" gameplay, and they were removed in Brawl, leaving us with literally nothing when we started to take Brawl seriously. Sakurai also changed the characters from what they were, instead of leaving them how they were, I mean... What's the point in nerfing all of Brawl's bottom tier'd characters? I seriously think that Brawl could've been all that we wanted, if only Sakurai payed mind to the gamers' needs...

Sakurai stated afterwards he didn't want to make Brawl competitive, that statement killed his hardcore fans (from Melee and Smash64)... And the addition of tripping to make it a laugh-fest was just ********. He deserves the bashing our community is giving him, because our community was the one who got their dreams crushed by his decision-making. We are the ones suffering the frustration of playing a half-made game, when he had so many delays to finish the game and make it better than what we were expecting it to ever be. That's the end of the story.

Veril

Frame Savant
We should all keep in mind that Sakurai did make the smash series. I mean, I think Brawl is a mediocre game, but it made hacked brawl possible (probably my favorite game and intellectual project of all time).

Sakurai certainly did a lot of things that make no sense to most of us; decisions that don't make the game more fun for anyone (casual or competitive). On the other hand, if not for him, this forum wouldn't even exist. I mean, criticism of his terrible decisions in regards to brawl doesn't completely diminish the fact that the man is clearly a genius (if terribly misguided at times).

I would like nothing more than to sit down, over a cup of coffee, and talk about how a game can be both competitive and a massively fun casual game. I'd show him the B+ sets, explain everything, probably geek out about the technical aspects of the mechanics. Honestly, even though brawl is lame, I'd still love to meet the man who made all of this possible.

Revven

FrankerZ
It's a party game with fighting mechanics. "Fighting game" most easily fits the classification in layman's terms.
Show me one other "fighting game" where the default mode is four player timed free-for-alls on crazy stages with randomly-spawning items that change the game.
I'm going to laugh so hard right now because thanks to hanging out with friends for all these years that have Dreamcasts, I know of ONE game series that is exactly that!

Power Stone. The game defaults with items on, random stage hazards, 4 players (only in the sequel) and crystals you collect to get your super transformation, practically the exact same concept as Smash Bros. except instead of being 2D it's a different camera with 3D characters.

And guess what? That game is a fighting game, it actually has tournaments (or had tournaments) and is competitive. Guess who made it? Capcom IIRC and people have been begging for a third one of it for years. Has it come? Noooope.

But, I just wanted to post this to let you know that there is another fighting game that is like Smash and was taken just as serious as we take Smash.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I would like nothing more than to sit down, over a cup of coffee, and talk about how a game can be both competitive and a massively fun casual game. I'd show him the B+ sets, explain everything, probably geek out about the technical aspects of the mechanics. Honestly, even though brawl is lame, I'd still love to meet the man who made all of this possible.
Hell, I want to meet the man just because he created Kirby.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I agree that you only really need one person to play it, but you need multiple to make a tourney out of it, as people can't really practice without it.

IDk why people won't hack their wii's anyways. I can't stand not having BootMii. Stupid wiimotes.

And I thought I basically said the same things you did. My point is that it serves nothing to alienate a part of your base when it was totally unwarranted.

See my first post. He could have appealed to both, but didn't.

Obviously brawl makes a better casual game. But you are misunderstanding me. When it was initially created, brawl did not exist, and yet it was both a good casual and competitive game

It therefore doesn't matter now. He proved that he was capable of making a game that appealed to both, yet only chose to appeal to a single one. It is inexcusable.

See above. Current doesn't matter, he was capable of appeasing both bases, yet did not for no reason.

This is irrelevant. I'm not going to get into a majorly off topic debate, but if half of a community hates something so much, it's pretty obvious that regardless of it being banworthy or not, it is bad game design.

Maybe we all did enjoy brawl at first, but more and more of the community is disliking the game, even the ones that continue to play it. This is almost entirely untrue with the other smash games.

I repeat, Brawl is considered a highly flawed game even buy many of the people who actually dedicate their time to playing it. Therefore this debate is in fact valid, because, as I keep saying, Sakurai was capable of pleasing his entire base, but chose not to simply because he doesn't like a part of it's mentality. Simple bull****.
Wow, you never post anything logical. Why do you play a game you don't like? True hypocricy. The online is nasty but I still have fun playing on it. Time and time again you should've been told 'bout Ninty's marketing strategy. $$$.
It really doesn't matter if he'd gotten more money by appealing to both groups COMPLETELY, cause the Wii's still inferior to the PS3 and 360 and one game will not stop the fanboys from picking on us.
This thread is funny. You guys think that Sakurai REALLY cares about competitive smash and yet he's probably swimming in cash from SSBB sales.

We make up the minority guys.
^Sir, have a cookie.
There was a much bigger group who simply wanted the game to be fun w/ new characters and subspace than us and YOU ALL KNOW IT. So why spend another few months on an already delayed game to only get another $10,000.

Trust me, 10,000 means little to millionaires compared to 1,000,000.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Wow, you never post anything logical. Why do you play a game you don't like? True hypocricy. The online is nasty but I still have fun playing on it. Time and time again you should've been told 'bout Ninty's marketing strategy. $$$.
It really doesn't matter if he'd gotten more money by appealing to both groups COMPLETELY, cause the Wii's still inferior to the PS3 and 360 and one game will not stop the fanboys from picking on us.
I play the game I don;t like because I can win money locally on a constant basis, and I like the community?

And when did I even bring up the PS3 and 360 communities/consoles? IDK if they pick on us, I can just ignore them.

And, for one who says I'm not making any sense, you say that it doesn't matter if it was better to appeal to both bases because they are superior to the wii? First of all, this is an opinion. This statement proves nothing. Second, the wii outsells both of these consoles, making the only reasonable comparison incorrect. The wii is more sells better, simple fact, which would contradict the idea that the wii is inferior (though I do agree that it is).

Read this from my other post:

Oh, and also, from a a logical standpoint, yes everyone would have bought brawl regardless, because of all the hype and success of the previous two games, so no money worries if he screws up? Yes, but a lot of people will not jump on SSB4, unlike brawl, because he hurt part of his base. So it was stupid for him in the long term.

It's very simple, a a part of the community will not buy SSB4 right off the bat because they are displeased with the current SSB, whereas Brawl had hype, and a more successful predecessor within our community.

I really don't see how you can't understand that appealing to 90% is great, but why not do 100% if possible?

To be as clear as ****ing possible, some of us will not buy SSB4 because of how we dislike SSBB. In the long term, he angered a part of his base for no reason, and there will be backlash, no matter that we are 10% of the community. It was never a good thing to create this backlash, yet he did it intentionally, at no benefit to the other group.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Did you actually read my first post? I explained that he had already shown that he is capable of appealing to both groups, yet did not. Therefore, he deserves the hate he gets for brawl because he simply chose to make the game with no regard for part of it's base. I'm not saying "blah blah hypothetical perfect game" I'm saying that he could have appeased both, like with melee, yet did not. Why?
Because we're the minority. Why should he care about us?

Sakurai wants dat cash money.

I really don't see how you can't understand that appealing to 90% is great, but why not do 100% if possible?
BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT US!

Why spend more money and time making the game for a group of people he DOESN'T CARE ABOUT?

Honestly, would you do that in his position?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nintendo's strategy has involved expanding the audience by introducing nongamers and new gamers to pick up and play games. Note, most of these games in mind for these people have not been the core franchises that existed prior to Touch Generations. These games are mostly to break in first time gamers before they go into the hardcore stuff that defines gaming.

Brawl was not meant to be a casual game. The most you can say is the learning curve for the basics which is no more than ten minutes.
Of course, I think there was a possibility of taking Smash Bros. in a more casual-gaming direction. For example, we could make the art style simpler or make it possible to use Miis. However, with the various titles that the Wii was to offer, I felt that people were looking for something different. That’s the reason I decided in very early stages of development that the Wii pointer and motion movements would not be a primary feature of the game.
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol2_page1.jsp

Reading this, I realize that we don't give him enough credit. Despite the mess that is Brawl, he's a rather intelligent individual. Maybe he really just needed more time to create that game everyone can enjoy, from broken in casual gamers to the competitive gamers.

I think everyone should read all the volumes of this. It might put everything into perspective.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Wii sells better 'cause Ninty gets more income from supporting the casual audience. Keep that in mind at least.

For sure the casual community is bigger than us, so plenty of people would still buy SSB4. Losing 'bout 1000 consumers is not that big of a deal when you still have over 1000000 (garunteed the number of people who bought Brawl is larger than this).

100% was not mandatory for Sakurai to make the estimated income. This is Ninty's marketing technique: least amount effort as possible for massive income. Sakurai was associated w/ this technique even though he spent 3 years on this game. Right when Brawl was announced and up for reservals the game was already selling like hotcakes. Even though Melee is better (competitive wise) I am thankful that Sakurai didn't hype us up then give us a game that's absolutely unacceptable in every way. Ofcourse, though, he had to put in value cause the income would be MUCH less.

You have every right to hate Sakurai, but he also has the right to believe you don't exist as long as casual crowd provides the most income. Sorry 'bout takin` long to reply, I was @ a tourney match.:cry:

.Marik

is a social misfit
We should all keep in mind that Sakurai did make the smash series. I mean, I think Brawl is a mediocre game, but it made hacked brawl possible (probably my favorite game and intellectual project of all time).

Sakurai certainly did a lot of things that make no sense to most of us; decisions that don't make the game more fun for anyone (casual or competitive). On the other hand, if not for him, this forum wouldn't even exist. I mean, criticism of his terrible decisions in regards to brawl doesn't completely diminish the fact that the man is clearly a genius (if terribly misguided at times).

Veril.

I love you. Come here and give me a hug. <3

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Because we're the minority. Why should he care about us?

Sakurai wants dat cash money.

BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT US!

Why spend more money and time making the game for a group of people he DOESN'T CARE ABOUT?

Honestly, would you do that in his position?
He could have cared about us both. I understand that he doesn't, thus why I consider him an *******. He didn't even have to do anything! He could have just moved the melee mechanics over to brawl, yet he totally re-designed it.

Is brawl a better casual game because he removed L cancelling? Because of no hit stun? Because of broken (as in overpowered OBV) shields? No, so why do them? He had a more balanced game in the E3 demo and everything.

Yes, he doesn't need to focus on us, and I wouldn't focus on us in his position, but he went out of his way to alienate us. Inexcusable. There was no reason to do this.

Wii sells better 'cause Ninty gets more income from supporting the casual audience. Keep that in mind at least.

For sure the casual community is bigger than us, so plenty of people would still buy SSB4. Losing 'bout 1000 consumers is not that big of a deal when you still have over 1000000 (garunteed the number of people who bought Brawl is larger than this).

100% was not mandatory for Sakurai to make the estimated income. This is Ninty's marketing technique: least amount effort as possible for massive income. Sakurai was associated w/ this technique even though he spent 3 years on this game. Right when Brawl was announced and up for reservals the game was already selling like hotcakes. Even though Melee is better (competitive wise) I am thankful that Sakurai didn't hype us up then give us a game that's absolutely unacceptable in every way. Ofcourse, though, he had to put in value cause the income would be MUCH less.

You have every right to hate Sakurai, but he also has the right to believe you don't exist as long as casual crowd provides the most income. Sorry 'bout takin` long to reply, I was @ a tourney match.:cry:
I understand where you are coming from, but but there was no reason to do what he did. He could have kept the basics from Melee and have had a much better competitive game, but he didn't. He went out of his way to hurt the competitive crowd, and didn't truly benefit the casual crowd doing so.

I will continue hating sakurai for what I feel he did to brawl. BTW, it's cool about you not replying. You didn't have to reply at all lol.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yes, he doesn't need to focus on us, and I wouldn't focus on us in his position, but he went out of his way to alienate us. Inexcusable. There was no reason to do this.
No he didn't. Not at all.

He just didn't put the competitive aspects into the game. He didn't alienate us on purpose, he just chose not to waste more time and effort on the game.

You're blowing this way out of proportion, calm down.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I didnt read the whole topic, but:

- Melee and Brawl are awesome in their way.
- Since Melee already has been awesome, It is very hard to fulfill expactions for a sequel if you dont want to make just a copy of it.
- Sakurai didnt make Brawl mainly for a few "competitive" Nerd players ;) .
- Tripping sucks though.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
No he didn't. Not at all.

He just didn't put the competitive aspects into the game. He didn't alienate us on purpose, he just chose not to waste more time and effort on the game.

You're blowing this way out of proportion, calm down.
Unless everyone who attended E3 was lying, and his interview stating that he thinks that brawl shouldn't be a competitive game are lying, then no, I didn't blow it out of proportion. He actually went back and removed things the competitive community liked.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443

The infamous article gimpyfish posted everywhere. Sakurai really has no idea about competitive, and thinks that competition is not what is about. This by itself proves nothing, but then why do so many people state that when they tried the e3 demo, it had competitive mechanics, and then the game got delayed (the game being delayed is a fact, though why was never clear), and the mechanics weren't there in the actual release. WTF?

Frogles

Smash Ace
Unless everyone who attended E3 was lying, and his interview stating that he thinks that brawl shouldn't be a competitive game are lying, then no, I didn't blow it out of proportion. He actually went back and removed things the competitive community liked.

The infamous article gimpyfish posted everywhere. Sakurai really has no idea about competitive, and thinks that competition is not what is about. This by itself proves nothing, but then why do so many people state that when they tried the e3 demo, it had competitive mechanics, and then the game got delayed (the game being delayed is a fact, though why was never clear), and the mechanics weren't there in the actual release. WTF?
it's called first impressions. there are videos of the e4all demo still out there on youtube that show people attacking/airdoding immediately after being hit. this shows that the game they played already lacked hitstun. the demo was floaty, lacked hitstun, and had auto-snap recoveries. the game mechanics were set in stone for the most part.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

After rereading that article, I have to say that I would not want Smash near him again. Had the fluke that was Melee never happened, things would be very different. Despite his intentions, once the game reaches the players, it doesn't mean anything as to what he intended. Unfortunately, Sakurai doesn't seem to realize this and he should be capitalizing on this in the best way possible; not trying to turn Smash into a fighting game where random tripping is seriously considered a form of balancing instead of the winner play because of pure skill.

He needs to get that losing isn't all that bad. People learn at one point or another that this is true. After all, we've ll been told to learn from our mistakes and losing is a type of mistake.

I mean, from what I can tell, Street Fighter was not meant to be necessarily competitive (since such a thing didn't exist at the time), but look at what happened and Capcom has capitalized this for their entire series and it works. It's not reeling in the sales like Smash, but it's successful nonetheless. The same applies for Tekken, but I don't know if that was meant for competitive play either.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
His whole philosophy on competition is warped to me.

Why cheer on someone who just lost? Competition to me drives someone to get better, to find something new and take thought and skill to the next level just to beat their opponent. If you don't get competitive its like playing soccer or basketball with no score, all you do is make fun of whoever is sucking the most. Hell, what would some sports be if they didnt get competitive?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yup. Many of his philosophies toward fighting games, when you read them again, are a paradox full of contradictions....
They go against everything that fighting games or anything competitive stand for.
At least he had the sense to not include motion controls...
and fix MK's damage output on Tornado(about 24%), Drill rush(31%), and Nair, which did 999% damage when sweetspotted in the demo.
I hope he makes the next Kirby game though..

Anyway, part of the problem is that this is the only worthwhile console game series of this kind.
Let's go down the list of imitators.

Dreamix TV: World Fighters:
Best roster of the imitators(Solid Snake, Master Higgins, Bomberman, Yugo, Optimus Prime, Simon Belmont and more), bad mechanics. Also, Japan Only.

TMNT Mutant Melee:
Bad

TMNT Smash Up:
Had potential, but the devs apparently phoned it in and it shows in the roster choice...

and so on.

This has been talked about a long time ago and he doesn't want Smash to be a competitive franchise.
Look up Gimpyfish's thread that was made when he was a mod but for the love of meatball, DO NOT BUMP IT.

Maybe Capcom should make a Smashlike game with their characters...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yup. Many of his philosophies toward fighting games, when you read them again, are a paradox full of contradictions....
They go against everything that fighting games or anything competitive stand for.
Looking at it again, they are more narrow minded than anything else.

There is a mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily. Whether you win or lose, you enjoy a hearty laugh, and move on to the next round. I think this makes quite a good game.
Serendipity does not necessarily make for a good game. At one point, you're going to have people who want to see which is better and something like random tripping messes this up. Besides, who says you can't have a good time even when you lose in other games? I get my *** kicked with El Fuerte in SFIV and if it's an exciting match and/or close I don't mind having a loss because I know the better man/woman won and he/she deserves to be recognized.

Here's another quote from the article.
When Japan lost in the '98 World Cup, the TV announcers were saying things like "Japan was defeated!" and "Japan was weak!" If you look more closely, you find many factors that could have contributed to the result. But I personally wondered, "doesn't this just mean that the other team fought well?" That's why I designed Smash Bros., which I was working on at the time, with the intent that the loser will applaud the winner.
To be honest, I thought the losers were clapping each other in the name of good sportsmanship.

Anyway, his views are indeed highly contradictory (like the above two quotes) when you look at some of the stuff in Smash like teching, perfect shielding, and L-Canceling (before Brawl) are in the game. Sometimes, I can't tell what the man wants. Does he want a fighting game, or a party game? He says it's a fighting one, but he's trying to turn it into a different genre at the same time.

Maybe Capcom should make a Smashlike game with their characters...
Your best bet would be a Power Stone revival. I'm not saying Capcom would stray from traditional 2D(since they defined it), but they already have a Smash-esque series. Of course, they could bring its mechanics and gameplay back in the next vs. Capcom game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
After rereading that article, I have to say that I would not want Smash near him again. Had the fluke that was Melee never happened, things would be very different. Despite his intentions, once the game reaches the players, it doesn't mean anything as to what he intended. Unfortunately, Sakurai doesn't seem to realize this and he should be capitalizing on this in the best way possible; not trying to turn Smash into a fighting game where random tripping is seriously considered a form of balancing instead of the winner play because of pure skill.

He needs to get that losing isn't all that bad. People learn at one point or another that this is true. After all, we've ll been told to learn from our mistakes and losing is a type of mistake.

I mean, from what I can tell, Street Fighter was not meant to be necessarily competitive (since such a thing didn't exist at the time), but look at what happened and Capcom has capitalized this for their entire series and it works. It's not reeling in the sales like Smash, but it's successful nonetheless. The same applies for Tekken, but I don't know if that was meant for competitive play either.
So, you put two options down.

1) Keep making the game as is, which has been very successful.
2)Cater to the competitive community (which is less then 1% of all Smash Players)

Since the two can not be mixed, why even bother with 2. Just go with one, which has had increasing sales so far.

"But....but Smashchu. Sakurai can cater to both." No he can't. In order to make the competitive community happy, Sakurai will have to add features and elements that will drive the 99% away. Inversely, if he adds things that make the game easier for the low tier players, it will drive the 1% away, but it may be possible to make up the growth. Oh, and the 1% are very dedicated fans who will probably buy SSB4 anyway, so Sakurai may lose nothing making 1. Thus, the opprotunity cost of 2 is way to high, but there is very little cost to 1.

Don't believe me? Compare Smash to ALL other competitive fighting games.
Street Fighter-SF2 is the only game that beats out any of the Smash Bothers games sales. All the others are below 5 million. Obviously, Street Fighter did something wrong long ago where Smash is doing something right.
Marvel vs Capcom-Despite Marvel and Capcom having very recognizable series, it didn't sell that well. This would defeat your idea of star power. Tatsunoko vs Capcom will probably follow suit.
BlazBlue-Total sales of both games (on the 360 and PS3) are 400K. That is worldwide sales. Obviously, people don't want to pick up a competitive fighting game. Guilty Gear is probably the same.
King of Fighter-It may have done well in the arcades, but no version of the game broke 1 million.
Tekken-It has done very well in the past, however, it is starting to hit hard time. The PS3 version is having weak sales overall. This may show that Tekken messed up somewhere down the line.

Smash Bros out preforms all of these series. So for Smash to be more competitive would be bad as it would be doing what other fighting game do (something you've advocated Kuma). Smash should focus more on trying to get new players to enjoy the game rather then appease a niche community.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
WHAT ABOUT MELEE! EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM PLAYED MELEE!

Melee catered to both scenes.

Pluas tekken 6 is wayyy easier than the other ones and some of the competitive community doesn't like it cause it's too juggle based. Why didn't it sell more?

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
WHAT ABOUT MELEE! EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM PLAYED MELEE!

Melee catered to both scenes.
This is what I said, and thus my problem. I can cater to both, but doesn't. I can only hope that others will listen to me and not buy SSB4 unless it isn't the trash that brawl is.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I swear, you are so narrow minded that it's not even funny. Boys, I suggest that you either get in this fight on either side or be a spectator. This is going to get ugly.

2)Cater to the competitive community (which is less then 1% of all Smash Players)

Since the two can not be mixed, why even bother with 2. Just go with one, which has had increasing sales so far.

"But....but Smashchu. Sakurai can cater to both." No he can't. In order to make the competitive community happy, Sakurai will have to add features and elements that will drive the 99% away. Inversely, if he adds things that make the game easier for the low tier players, it will drive the 1% away, but it may be possible to make up the growth. Oh, and the 1% are very dedicated fans who will probably buy SSB4 anyway, so Sakurai may lose nothing making 1. Thus, the opprotunity cost of 2 is way to high, but there is very little cost to 1.
Here's the funny thing. You keep Smash as it is and it will be less popular because it's the same **** thing every time. There's a reason why people don't like it when a sequel is the same as its predecessor.

As for saying he can't cater to both, did you forget about Melee? Considering that you have suggested something like auto recovery for beginners (which apparently means first time gamers), I really can't take your opinion on the whole thing seriously since you believe people should be able to jump right in, yet even Sakurai says it takes about ten minutes to learn the controls.

Don't believe me? Compare Smash to ALL other competitive fighting games.
Street Fighter-SF2 is the only game that beats out any of the Smash Bothers games sales. All the others are below 5 million. Obviously, Street Fighter did something wrong long ago where Smash is doing something right.
Care to tell me what this "decline" was. Ten bucks that there's more to this than added features that scared newbies away like people having less interest in fighting games. Another thing to note is that SFIII took away all the iconic characters from SFII except for Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Chun-Li.
Marvel vs Capcom-Despite Marvel and Capcom having very recognizable series, it didn't sell that well. This would defeat your idea of star power. Tatsunoko vs Capcom will probably follow suit.
Yet this was around the time when fighting games were in a rut and were perceived as button mashers.
BlazBlue-Total sales of both games (on the 360 and PS3) are 400K. That is worldwide sales. Obviously, people don't want to pick up a competitive fighting game. Guilty Gear is probably the same.
Yet BlazBlue is supposed to be an easier version of Guilty Gear. I'm willing to bet that people simply didn't have an interest in the game, and it was not because it was a competitive game. It's like expecting a US audience to fall in love with the anime style 2D graphics since we only seem to like 2D if it's retro or realistic 3D graphics.
King of Fighter-It may have done well in the arcades, but no version of the game broke 1 million.
Can't really comment on this one.
Tekken-It has done very well in the past, however, it is starting to hit hard time. The PS3 version is having weak sales overall. This may show that Tekken messed up somewhere down the line.
Again, I think it's a lack of interest. Look at it this way. Fighting games were rather popular back in the early 90's. Now, FPS games seem to be the flavor of the decade. It's all a matter of what's the trend in gaming. At one point, gamers will flock to another genre and I think Music might be the next one.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Well, there is no more point in debating this at all. There is a difference between saying that something is better and attacking other people's opinions just because you don't like them.

And for the record, I'll continue buying Smash games, whether they are directed by Sakurai or are released on the DS.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I swear, you are so narrow minded that it's not even funny. Boys, I suggest that you either get in this fight on either side or be a spectator. This is going to get ugly.
Projection. You can't call me closed minded when Toise and I have explained to you in depth why you are wrong and when the evidence stares you in the face, and you put your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALALA i'M NOT LISTENING."

Here's the funny thing. You keep Smash as it is and it will be less popular because it's the same **** thing every time. There's a reason why people don't like it when a sequel is the same as its predecessor.
Melee was very similar to Brawl, and less competitive by the communities standards. It sold more then Melee. You only assume it will be different because how I say Smash should be is similar to how it is now. There are many ways to make a game different then just gameplay. Look at mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart DS.

Also, different does not mean higher sales. Mario 64 was different then the 2D Marios but sold less. Nintendo made New Super Mario Bros Wii for the Wii and had similar mechanics to the DS version, but is still doing really well and may surpass the DS game.

As for saying he can't cater to both, did you forget about Melee? Considering that you have suggested something like auto recovery for beginners (which apparently means first time gamers), I really can't take your opinion on the whole thing seriously since you believe people should be able to jump right in, yet even Sakurai says it takes about ten minutes to learn the controls.
Just like you said, Melee was a fluke. To make Smash competitive would mean adding in features to make the game harder, but would add more depth. Like Wavedashing, this only increases the skill gap, and makes it easier for lower tier players to give up. With onlne, it because easier for players to give up as they will feel inferior, loss their interest, and find a product that will fill their needs and be easy to jump into. Videogames are very steep in competition, from other games, other entertainment mediums and even disinterest. So, you always have to keep the low tier guys from getting out.

Malstrom wrote a good article on a similar notion. You are an undershot player. You want the game to keep advancing. Others may become overshot and may just stop playing. Nintendo is successful for going for the overshot, not the under. It's a good article, so defiantly check it out.
Here

Care to tell me what this "decline" was. Ten bucks that there's more to this than added features that scared newbies away like people having less interest in fighting games. Another thing to note is that SFIII took away all the iconic characters from SFII except for Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Chun-Li.
Smash came out when fighting games were gone. New Super Mario Bros Wii is successful despite the fall of 2D platformers. So no, people do not buy games for genre alone. It shows you have no idea why people buy games.

The decline began with Street Fighter Alpha. The sales of SF2 are phenomenal, but SFA falls flat, as do other SF games. Heck, the fall may actually be IN SF2 has people would have had to buy the game, and then become disinterest. The games were getting harder and harder (such as Turbo and Tournament Addition). The games were being made for the undershot. SFA added EX, which added more mindgames (as the player can now do two moves, both varing in properties), making a larger skill gap. Parries came along in SF3 and made things worse. Either way, the series has gotten harder and harder.

Also, Alpha had a lot of old characters. Why aren't any of those successful? Why is SF4 so far behind Street Fighter 2? Should Smash Bros have increased interest in fighting games?

Yet this was around the time when fighting games were in a rut and were perceived as button mashers.
What? People would not buy a game because it was too easy. There only way it would be too easy is if the game became easy to the point of boring, and none of the vs games are. Heck, you also go at it again assuming people buy based on genre. Fun fact: Original gaming HAD NO GENRES. You point is nulled because people didn't buy games because of a genre as most genres were being created. And every genre failed (out of the ones that did) due to some reason. 2D Space Shooters became bullet hells, forcing low tier players out (see a pattern yet). Platformers died as people just stopped making them, but NSMBW was able to come out of a time when 2D platformers were in a rut. See this atricle to see what I mean.

Yet BlazBlue is supposed to be an easier version of Guilty Gear. I'm willing to bet that people simply didn't have an interest in the game, and it was not because it was a competitive game. It's like expecting a US audience to fall in love with the anime style 2D graphics since we only seem to like 2D if it's retro or realistic 3D graphics.
Blazblue is a flop all around. There is no doubt about it. Guilty Gear is also a flop. "But you said people buy games that are easy." Easier doesn't mean easy. It means less difficult then it's predecessor. The games are still to hard to be assessable to low tier players.

But think about this: If Blazblue was easy to get into, don't you think some of the people who bought it would show it to their friends, they like it, and then it gets passed on. That didn't happen. This is why a lot of Nintendo's big Wii games start slow, and then jolt up.

Your still not looking at how the play feels. The difference is when I quote sales, I look at why a person didn't buy this game. You see only numbers.

Again, I think it's a lack of interest. Look at it this way. Fighting games were rather popular back in the early 90's. Now, FPS games seem to be the flavor of the decade. It's all a matter of what's the trend in gaming. At one point, gamers will flock to another genre and I think Music might be the next one.
Again, New Super Mario Bros Wii came out of a time when platformers were all but dead. How come a fighting games hasn't does this. Smash has come the closest to this out of any fighting game, and still outsells all the other games.

The problem with arguing is even basic logic doesn't work with you. Look at this.
Smash outsells all other fighting games
You want Smash to be like other fighting games
How does that make sense when the focus is on growth?
I quote sales in part because it shows that Smash is successful while all other fighting games are not. Yet, you still insist then Smash start taking pages from them. This is like the Winning coach stealing strategies from the losing team. This is like the winning country in a war having a spy steal the losing armie's strategies and then adopting them. It makes no sense, and any logical person can not deny that.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
SmashChu =/= Toise

Fail

Kuma
I'd like to apologize to you, this is a bit of stalker status, I was just wondering if people were looking the Official SSB4 Thread. The title of this thread was pretty interesting so I decided to take a peak. I was just going to watch silently (Ninja status) but then I saw Chu.

Chu
Sometimes I don't get you bro, you just say stuff as if it means something to other people.

The problem with arguing is even basic logic doesn't work with you. Look at this.
Smash outsells all other fighting games
Did you consider the edge that smash has over most fighting games? Smash came out after all of the characters had been well established and popular. Thereby, introducing enemies and other random characters is easy to do because Smash had already built the reputation of Nintendo's ultimate fighter. The Soul Calibur isn't that much different being a mash up of familiar characters. Being that most people buy the game for the characters and nostalgic elements, it is of no surprise to me that the best selling fighting game belongs to a company with the best reputation. Meanwhile, games like Tekken and Street fighter had to build their reputation from scratch (yet they are still popular.). Imagine what Smash would be like if Sakurai had established his product without Nintendo's All Stars? As was his original intent.

Holty

Smash Apprentice

Sakurai can't cater both the casual and competitive scene? Ever heard of Melee? ;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
He didnt try to cater competitive needs there, it was just a mistake that happened to work out perfectly for competitors.
Whether he intended or not is irrelevant. Like I said earlier, he should've capitalized on this while still appealing to the casuals at the same time like he ended up with Melee. Considering that he has Melee as a base for this balance, it's not THAT difficult. The hardest part, aside from balancing the roster and not involving serendipity from the game itself, would be to include mechanics (and possibly simplifying others) that are easy to learn, but you're on your own to tap the potential of the mechanics.

BSP

Smash Legend
Holty's right. Even if he didn't try to, melee still catered to both sides. I don't think that taking out the things that made melee more competitive (like l cancelling for example) was really necessary. It and wavedashing were in melee, but it was still a fun casual game.

My biggest complaint about brawl is the random tripping. Is an off switch too much to ask for?

Top Bottom