• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai doesn't deserve the bashing he gets for brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@fatmanonice
believe me dude, there is WAYYYYYYYY more hitstun in 64. I seriously don't know how you could not know this. Hitstun is literally what its name states, it's the stun after you get hit and one of the main problems in 64(it was a good thing to some people) was the fact that it had TO much hitstun. That why you see 0-death combos FREQUENTLY in 64, but you barely ever see them in melee. And in melee normally 0-death combos are usually not even true combos. Most of the time they're a combo reset into another combo.

edit: The ICs didn't get buffed in brawl and Ganon got massively nerfed. ICs lost stuff(smash attacks, amazing Wavedash, wobbling, easy spotdodge desynce) and gained stuff(a bunch of infinites, actually, thats about all they got in brawl). Same goes for DK. And the same thing also goes to luigi(mid tier in both games). Luigi lost stuff(amazing WD, amazing combo game, his great approach, his dair and fair power, platform cancelled air moves) and gained stuff(fsmash, up b power, recovery).
I guess we have different definitions of what a combo is too. If that's the case, I'll get off my soapbox in that regard because it'll basically come down to a debate that won't go anywhere.

For the Ice Climbers, you need to think of them as a whole when it comes to the series. If you don't look at the mechanics of Melee and Brawl, the Ice Climbers had a lot of improvements in Brawl. Their specials became better, Nana's AI became somewhat better and they became harder to seperate overall, Nana actually has the ability to save herself thanks to the belay attack being given tether properties, it became easier for them to do chain grabs, etc. As I said before, the nerfs come into play when you look at Brawl's mechanics like with how the change severally hurt Captain Falcon.

Another example is Samus. In Brawl her missles are better and her tether recovery and zair are much more reliable, but, for whatever reason, they reduced the knockback for her smash attacks thus making her KO potential even worse. She's a character that, even if Brawl had Melee's mechanics, would have become worse overall. Another character is Link. All in all, Link is better than he was in Melee except for his normal recovery. In a game where being able to recovery and have a dependable offstage game iis such a big deal, this is why Link got such a kick in the nuts when it came to the tierlist. I see Ness being in the same boat too. He was improved in pretty much every regard but got royally screwed over by his recovery. Many characters like Zelda and Mario got screwed over by the defensive properties of Brawl which I'll talk about in a bit.

I decided to go through all three Smash games last night to refresh myself on the differences between all of them. For Melee, they things that stood out to me the most is how terrible the "defense system" is. In comparison to Brawl, the shields are not that reliable and neither is side stepping. Somehow, rolling in Melee is even worse than it is in Brawl and just about everyone's reminded me of Yoshi and Samus's in Brawl. Recovering is harder in general, so is shield grabbing, and so is power shielding. When you get knocked in the air, there isn't that much you can do either. You can DI (which I would say is harder in Melee), fast fall in hopes of beating your opponent to the ground (where you can tech which I'd say is easier than in Brawl), try to outpriortize their attack (as anyone could tell you, not the easiest thing to do depending on who you're playing), or aerial dodge (which you can only do once and it leaves you in a state of free fall).

Looking at all of this, I can somewhat understand why Sakurai did some of the things that he did with Brawl. He gave the game much more defense options which is why Brawl kind of grinds a gear with the competitive types. Throw in characters where little effort was taken to balance them (mainly Metaknight) and tactics that seem to have been neglected out of sheer laziness (pretty all the infinities aside from the Ice Climbers and long chain grabs like King Dedede's and Falco's against a lot of the cast) and it becomes even more apparent why Brawl has the problem it does. It a sense, Brawl's biggest problem is having a hard time countering defensive (or should I say overly defensive) tactics. For example, getting rid of the reflective properties of power shielding was a stupid idea. Things like Pit's arrows, Falco's lazers, and Diddy's bananas wouldn't be anywhere as annoying as they are now if they had simply kept that property.

I'd love to go more into this but I'm about to be kicked out the library so I'll have to check back probably tomorrow to respond and perhaps say a little more on the matter.

*Arrives at his Grandma's house*

Now I'm exploiting my grandmother for a proper internet connection! I'm such a louse! :laugh:

Anyways, these defensive properties royally screwed over a large percentage of the returning Melee cast. As said before, Link got screwed over for having a piss-poor recovery in a game where it's fairly easy to recover for a majority of the cast. Mario got screwed over by how easy it is to dodge things in the air in Brawl. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf both got screwed for the same reasons as Mario and Link but also because of their lack of good approches and Brawl's mechanics making it very hard for them to counter camping and zoning.

Sakurai had the right idea but he went way too far with it. Like I said before, he got rid of the reflective properties of power shielding thus giving a good number of characters very little to counter projectile zoning. He made aerial dodging easier but at the expense of taking out most aerial combos in the process. (Again, see Mario.) He made shield grabbing easier but had some characters have **** chain grabs and infinites. Looking at it like this, it's almost like Sakurai said "hey, let's make Smash Bros more defensive" proceeded to add the mechanics in the game but then didn't really bother to check how this would effect the game as a whole and, given his schedule, it's understandable. It's estimated that probably about 65% of the development time went into the SSE and another 15% into the online features which leaves a mere 20% for everything else. Throw in the characters, stages, music, items, unlockables, etc and you're probably left with a goofy small fraction for the amount of time spent testing the balance of things.

Sakurai had tunnel vision if anything. He said he wanted to make Brawl stand out from the other Smash Bros games because of its single player mode (while Miyamoto supposedly said to focus on the vs-mode; given how people complain about Miyamoto being too "casual" too, this is pretty ironic, eh?). The online features, without a doubt, also had more of his attention than the balance of the game. From how the online turned out, I'm guessing that because he couldn't go for quality (which he pretty said he really wouldn't be able to from the get-go given the Wii's online capabilities and how hard it would be to put a game like Smash Bros online), he was going to go for quantity instead.

I was mad about how Brawl turned out for a little while but I quickly got over it. It has its flaws but its still a solid title. The people who essentially claim that just looking at the box gives them AIDs really need to get over themselves because, in the grand scheme of gaming, calling it a bad game is more about expressing how disgruntled you are for not getting what you wanted instead of how the game actually turned out. Having played games like Sonic Heros, Megaman X6, Star Fox Assault, and Resident Evil Code Veronica I can further say that Brawl is by no means a bad game. Disappointing? Not very much to me anymore but I can reasonably understand why some people are still left with a bad taste in their mouth. If anything, I'm oddly glad that they had the mistakes in Brawl so that there's a much bigger chance they won't appear in SSB4. For example, they got their feet wet with online play so, in SSB4, they'll actually have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't work. Tripping will more than likely be gone, probably more focus will be put back on the vs-mode, and a lot of the pointless extras like the masterpieces will be omitted. Sakurai tried to go in a new direction with Smash Bros and overshot the target. I don't not believe that "ZoMg SaCkGeRpIe HaTs KoMpEeTeVeE gUmRs!!!1!1!LOLWTFBBQOBGYN!" and "purposely" made Brawl the way that it was to "sabatoge" any attempts to make Smash Bros competitive but instead, like I've said many times, was simply trying to get Brawl a different feel from the other games in the franchise, put too much focus in the wrong things after doing so, and ended up with Brawl being as unbalanced as it is.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How is samus' tether and missles better? Her tether is much more reliable because you can grab any part of the stage, whereas in brawl, all you have to do is grab the edge and she can't do ****. They basically switched the speed of the missiles in brawl, in most cases a faster smash missile is better than a faster homing missile. And in brawl homing missiles are fast and smash missiles are slow and hard to missile cancel when its the exact opposite in melee. And no, melee does not lack defensive options, brawl has overpowered defensive options. Do you play at a high level in melee? A LOT of stuff you write about melee sounds like you're not good at melee. Recovering is too easy in brawl thats why everyone lasts so long, shields are just as reliable they're just punishable unlike they are in brawl, spot dodges in brawl are better, rolls get punished a lot in both games, shield grabbing is the same idk what you're talking about, and it's wrong for powershielding taking SKILL!!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At high levels of play, Melee has more defensive options to offer but, that's kind of thing, you kind of have to get to that point first. I'm talking about straight from the get-go when the player really doesn't know how to do things like wave-dash which, for example characters like Luigi and Samus, helps them make up for the poor dodgings options the game provides up front.

For Samus's tether in Brawl, you can stall better on the edge especially since you drop off and grab the edge two more times with it. Given how things like her aerial movement and her bombs in Brawl help with edge stalling as well, I'd say it's more useful in the long run. Samus's zair is, without a doubt, much more useful on stage than it was onstage in Melee so there's really no point in going over that. For Samus's missles, I'd say that they're easier to cancel in Brawl and I'd say that the homing ones are more useful but maybe that's just me.

If you don't mind, please calm down. Powershielding is much harder to do in Melee than in Brawl. I never said there was anything wrong with that, I'm just stating how things are. For example, it's also harder to short hop in Melee too and each character pretty much has their own timing for it and that's just stating the facts.

Regarding my Smash history, I played Melee competitively from about the summer of 2002 to the winter of 2003, got bored because most of the people around me stopped playing it and stopped hosting tournaments, and then I played it casually until Brawl came out. Every once in awhile, I'll still break it out but, all in all, I've come to prefer Brawl especially since I actually have people to play with online since no one in my area cares about Melee and hasn't for years.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
At high levels of play, Melee has more defensive options to offer but, that's kind of thing, you kind of have to get to that point first. I'm talking about straight from the get-go when the player really doesn't know how to do things like wave-dash which, for example characters like Luigi and Samus, helps them make up for the poor dodgings options the game provides up front.

For Samus's tether in Brawl, you can stall better on the edge especially since you drop off and grab the edge two more times with it. Given how things like her aerial movement and her bombs in Brawl help with edge stalling as well, I'd say it's more useful in the long run. Samus's zair is, without a doubt, much more useful on stage than it was onstage in Melee so there's really no point in going over that. For Samus's missles, I'd say that they're easier to cancel in Brawl and I'd say that the homing ones are more useful but maybe that's just me.

If you don't mind, please calm down. Powershielding is much harder to do in Melee than in Brawl. I never said there was anything wrong with that, I'm just stating how things are. For example, it's also harder to short hop in Melee too and each character pretty much has their own timing for it and that's just stating the facts.

Regarding my Smash history, I played Melee competitively from about the summer of 2002 to the winter of 2003, got bored because most of the people around me stopped playing it and stopped hosting tournaments, and then I played it casually until Brawl came out. Every once in awhile, I'll still break it out but, all in all, I've come to prefer Brawl especially since I actually have people to play with online since no one in my area cares about Melee and hasn't for years.
I'm not actually mad lol. If you're thinking in that sense, then you're right.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, Melee takes more time to learn and more skill overall but I don't think it was Sakurai's intention to make the game so much easier. As I keep saying, I think he wanted to make it more defensive, went overboard, and then didn't really bother to go back and check how this new system actually played out in the long run. Somethings though, like how Metaknight turned out and tripping, are inexcusable. Now that we have all the hitbox data for Metaknight, I can confidently say that Sakurai was not thinking at all when it came to him. Heck, probably 3/4's of his attacks have hitboxes that are the size of the whole character and some, like the ending slash to the shuttle loop, are twice as big. Given his sheer number of recovery options, disjointed hitboxes, crazy priority, and lack of landing/ending lag for his attacks and you basically have a character that could have only slipped under the radar due to pure neglegience.
Tripping is self explanitory and, seeing how Sakurai still hasn't provided an explanation for it, knows full well that it was a stupid idea.

As said before, things like this came about because Sakurai put too much focus into the single player. Seeing how the SSE turned into a mediocre experience, I hope he saw the error of his ways and listens to Miyamoto next time around when it comes to Smash Bros biggest selling point, it's expansive multiplayer. Brawl's not bad but, given all that I've mentioned, it could have easily been a lot better. I think a lot of us were cross when Brawl first came out to because, based on what Sakurai said at E3 06, it sounded like that Brawl had a strong chance of being the last game in the series. Since then though, thanks to various interviews since GDC 08, it's become strongly apparent that there will definately be an SSB4 in the future and Sakurai will, with little doubt, be the one heading the project.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it is really incredible how much one weekend away can do. I'm actually quite eager to see how this turns out. Leaning towards FMOI's logic so far, hopefully I can contribute before 6 more pages are added to the discussion.

NatP

Smash Ace
This might be incorrect, but I believe Sakurai once said something about tripping being there to keep players on their feet, which is an awful excuse IMO.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This might be incorrect, but I believe Sakurai once said something about tripping being there to keep players on there feet, which is an awful excuse IMO.
Wait... What?

.Marik

is a social misfit
This might be incorrect, but I believe Sakurai once said something about tripping being there to keep players on there feet, which is an awful excuse IMO.
Wait... What?
He means tripping is an unexpected aspect of gameplay that keeps players alert, since it can drastically change the outcome of a match at any particular moment.

Which would keep players "on their feet", which is ironic because we're discussing tripping.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
CONGRADULATIONS StarshipGroove. YOU SUCCESSFULLY ATTACKED THE MESSANGER INSTEAD OF MAKING A CONCREATE AND CONSISED ARGUMENT. YOU WIN THE IDIOT AWARD.

In other words, your trying to invalidate my argument by not actually saying why the reasoning is wrong, just why the information is wrong. Had you done a little snooping, you'd know that while VGchartz has been unreliable in the past, they now match up with NPD numbers with little variation.

Also, welcome to the internet. As there is no source to your claim, how am I to believe you're right and they are wrong?

I completely agree with Frogles. I also love how SmashChu still thinks he's correct in everyone of his debates he starts in every GBD thread he posts in eventhough 90% of the thread's posters disagree with him :p. Practically most of his debates are offtopic too lol.
Yes, because majority opinion is the correct opinion yes?

There is no logical reason to think that this assumption is right. If I put 10 people in a room to diagnose a sick person, and only one is a doctor, the majority opinion may be he has A, but 10% thinks he has cancer (this of course being, the 9 people don't just side with the doctor). Even if I put 10 doctors in a room to diagnose a patient, one could easily be right and the other wrong, even if they share the same side.

Majority opinion=/=correct opinion (yes, technically there is no right opinion, but I think you all know what I mean).

These are bad argument tactics people and you will always lose. Someone, like me, can just call you out on it and then you have no argument.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Star Fox Assault
wait I thought adventures and command were the insulting ones D:

(because, gasp, that is how they designed the game)
Uh, how do you know this? Furthermore, Smash is about playing any way we want to. That's something Sakurai said.

CONGRADULATIONS StarshipGroove. YOU SUCCESSFULLY ATTACKED THE MESSANGER INSTEAD OF MAKING A CONCREATE AND CONSISED ARGUMENT. YOU WIN THE IDIOT AWARD.
Talk about loosing your cool there. Seriously; Calm down there. This goes to the same possibly for other people in the thread. I haven't read all 14 or so pages, but you know who you are unless you're high.

Kuma worded it correctly along with partly FMOI: Brawl suffered from the fact that a lot of us expected it to come out in one way yet it came out in another. It's like If you want a cake. You want a Chocolate cake, right? Too bad. You get Strawberry. The bashing on brawl may be far overstretched, but we can't quite generalize about everyone.

However, that cake still has some nice things in it because at least It's not Vanilla. The Strawberry still has some nice things, like Hacks, an amazing Original Soundtrack, and so forth. If you don't explore the other side of the cake; Too bad.

I'll leave this thread with one last thing; Sakurai is one person out of...How many programers/developers/etc involved in Brawl? He just happens to be the person that speaks for the company or whatever. So no, Sakurai doesn't deserve all this bashing. The entire Company? Maybe. Critism? Yes. Quite honestly, some well respected critism for the future is great.

edit:
I dont know about sakurai, but everyday i wake up i curse the god dam creator of paper mario wii, how could he ruin such a perfect game that were PM 64, and PMTYD???????
IF WE'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT GAMES THAT WERE CHANGED, THEN DANGIT PEOPLE.

COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
See, this is why people don't like you SmashChu. What was your age again? 36 or something? And you Still don't know a thing about manners or respect?

Frogles

Smash Ace
i'm starting to think you're just a troll with a superiority complex. you aren't even using arguments to call us out on things you disagree on. you're throwing around sales numbers and crying data at anything we cant link you to.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The smash series has ok balance, there are certainly game with better balance but I don't feel like it's bad just decent.

MvC2 showed me how badly balanced a game can be.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I love Brawl. And so do pretty much all the reviewers. Odd isn't it? It was praised bye them, yet the internet b*****s about it constantly.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I love Brawl. And so do pretty much all the reviewers. Odd isn't it? It was praised bye them, yet the internet b*****s about it constantly.
From what I've seen, it's praising the content more so than the gameplay. I see player reviews that love the game because X character is in the game, a lot stages, music (which I agree with), etc. You don't see so many reviewing the gameplay aspect of the game.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Its not Sakurai's fault. I say its Mr. Iwata's fault. He wants to make games EASY, and accessible to play for everyone, Sakurai had to go this path because Mr. Iwata is the president of nintendo, his boss. It's why there is less gravity and less hitstun in this game, and tripping, so people will have a better chance. The hardcore players are less common for the Wii, most of the hardcore player base has went to the Xbox360 and PS3. Which is why I'll be getting a PS# soon.

Kuprin

Smash Rookie
I'm going to bash the OP as well because both Adventure of Link and Sunshine were excellent.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
With all this drama going on, I would like to just say to everyone who's b****ing to either shut and play the game, or shut and don't play the game.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Let me throw in my two cents.

As a game Designer, Sakurai did a great job with Brawl overall. He created a game that out sold its predecessor and will surely continue the series.

I can honestly tell you that pretty much anyone in this thread or on this board for that matter are not his target audience. People like us who write on these message boards, even if they are often complaints, have already invest both their money and a great deal of their time in this game. They complain because they care about the game, and are already hooked. Even after they threaten to quit and actually do, they often come back within 2 months.

The outspoken competitive community has little standing against the vast silent super majority, or casual players. As a designer would you focus on the less then 1% who even consider playing competitively to keep that part of the community healthy/interested or would you cater you games features, mechanics, and balance towards the rest of the casual crowd, possible expanding the user base by a fair margin?

Its obvious that even a 1% increase would justify this.

Sure, Brawl has taken a step back in technically depth and lost players becuase of that. However that doesnt compare to the number of new players that the games other features have brought in.

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
Brawl doesn't deserve bashing and flaming, neither does Sakurai. I think all smash games are equal and great. Seriously, the arguing and complaining are getting old.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
looking at the first post, I want to point out that none of the trash games Miyamoto made reached the hype that Brawl had. I didn't spend every weeknight looking at wii music updates, and didn't suffer from delays and hype about how hardcore and awesome the game was going to be. Wii Music was presented as a game specifically for casuals. If you didn't listen to the alarm in your head not to buy it, it's your own fault.

Brawl was a trap. It didn't turn out how anyone imagined, but then again, people overexaggurate it's flaws. It's still decent.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey, I just wanted to post a little bit from a new interview with Sakurai that may pertain to this topic:

... okay... apparently, the computers at the library don't have the ability to cut and paste... Regardless, the interview can be seen on gonintendo's front page and it basically talks about how he tries to make games that appeal to a wide number of people and, oddly enough, the games he develops aren't nessecarily the kind he likes to play.

If it works, here's the path to the interview:

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=108646

Add in: Typing it in seemed to do the trick; good, good.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Some highlights from an interview in this week's year-end issue of Famitsu magazine with Masahiro Sakurai, the game designer and director behind titles like Nintendo's Smash Bros. series:

- The interview was co-conducted with Capcom's Hideki Kamiya, fresh off completing work on the Japanese edition of Bayonetta. "If I had to sum up my image of Kamiya in one word, it would be 'self,'" Sakurai commented. "Having this sense of self, or ego, is something I think is very important for a director to have -- after all, a director's job is to work with a team to push what he wants to do. He needs to have that drive."

- In his eyes, however, Sakurai doesn't have that strong sort of ego. "It's funny how I look back at my [Famitsu] column and keep seeing phrases like 'the general public' or 'most gamers think that...'" he said. "I don't have much of that ego going."

- Sakurai went on to make another bold statement: "I'll freely admit that I don't create the sort of games I actually play. Maybe I don't push my own interests in my games, but I do see a need to make an effort to fulfill the needs of beginners and broaden horizons. It's not a matter of one approach being better than the other; doing it either way is fine. Some people push their own visions in other art forms, besides."

- So where do his main motivations lie? "It really comes down to thinking about my customers," Sakurai responded, "many of whom aren't the sort of people with very strong opinions about games in general. Small children, for example, aren't going to post a lot on Internet forums about what they're playing. So there are a lot of these gamers whose voices you don't necessarily hear very much. Whenever I hear something like 'My two-year-old connects up the cables all by himself to play your game,' that really makes me feel happy."

- If Sakurai ever got a chance to work with other creators like Kamiya, would he take up the chance? "It would depend on who, but one of the reasons I went freelance in the first place was because I felt I needed to be creative with a wider number of people," he said. "If I have that opportunity, then I'm happy even if I'm making the most straightforward of franchise sequels. Maybe I have my own sense of self, but it's not like I want to push it that much. Myself, I think there's no such thing as game-creation work that's not fun. Every aspect of it is fun to me."
It seems Sakurai still hasn't changed his position after all these years. Every time I see an interview with him on this kind of stuff, he's perhaps too concerned about beginning gamers. If he's going to try to appeal as many as possible, it should be from all over the spectrum, not just from one side.

Maing games for consumers is a double edged sword. On one hand, you're more likely to generate sales. On the other hand, you're inhibiting creativity which can create a stale environment. The opposite applies when you design a game for primarily yourself where you're likely to be limited on funds and the industry grows smaller.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Its not Sakurai's fault. I say its Mr. Iwata's fault. He wants to make games EASY, and accessible to play for everyone, Sakurai had to go this path because Mr. Iwata is the president of nintendo, his boss. It's why there is less gravity and less hitstun in this game, and tripping, so people will have a better chance. The hardcore players are less common for the Wii, most of the hardcore player base has went to the Xbox360 and PS3. Which is why I'll be getting a PS# soon.
Iwata also mentioned in 2005 about a new Super Smash Bros with Online play, so Sakurai was forced to make the game Online. If Sakurai didn't want to make a new Smash Bros they would release a remake of Melee including new modes like Online (I don't know if this is true or not, i read about this in an article).

Top Bottom