• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryokoyaksa vs Magus420 and the floating stitchface, Help us solve the turnip glitch!

otg

Smash Master
Oh, I wasn't saying it was bad, just that it was funny lol. Why not make it more Harry Potterish with something like " Ryoko vs. magus, the Curse of the floating stitchface". That sounds silly enough lol.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
wat. That was too amazing for words. Does magus know what happened?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Suprisingly both Magus and Ryoko aren't sure how it occured.

Which almost makes me want to give up understanding it LOL

otg - LOL well it wasn't a curse, because when I saw this I dropped to the floor. I guess its okay for now LOL =D

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the best thign about this match is that at first they thought they had to be close to the stitchface to z-grab it, then later in the match if you notice they both started to realize you could grab it from anywhere on the map lmfao soo good.

Magus420

Smash Master
We were purposely upping the grab range on it at 1:40 but for a while I kept going near it anyway to grab it out of habit :laugh:

I wanna figure out how the glitch actually happens and set up matches with like 5 of these things floating around, lmao.

Metà

Smash Master
I think I might know how this happens. Maybe try catching the turnip on the last frame it's out? Then the turnip might stay out when you throw it instead of disappearing. I don't know the exact frame count for the turnip (how long it stays out), but it's something around 2 and a half to 3 seconds.

Magus420

Smash Master
***Does anyone have any videos where the glitch happens, and most importantly where it becomes glitched during the footage, and not after the recording started?***

I'd like to figure out how it happens after all these years, but there isn't much to go off of.

There's 2 good videos and 1 not as helpful video that I know of where the glitch happens and actually shows more than an already glitched turnip being played around with.

1) A vid of my Jiggs vs Ryoko's Peach on Mute City from 4-2006. GOOD
He pulls a turnip (the O_O looking one) with his back facing me while on the left side of the main platform, crouches with it for a bit as I move closer, then I pound while he shields from the crouch and does a backwards smash throw OoS, but the frame before it's released he gets hit by the pound and then he's still holding the turnip afterwards (if you were to get hit at the same time it's going to be released it still gets thrown).

As he goes behind me from the pound I double jump into a b-air which hits him around frame 4 of his double jump. He drops the turnip by being hit by the b-air and it is frozen. I'm pretty sure the turnip was never actually in the air between the time it was pulled and when it became glitched.

2) This vid of my Falcon vs Ryoko's Peach on Dreamland from 5-2009. GOOD
He pulls the infamous stitch up on the left platform of DL. He goes to jump off the platform (I think), but the wind pushes him off and he goes into a float instead, releases the float then doublejumps into an airdodge upwards and offstage (I'm guessing that was a mistake, lol), then falls back to the bottom of the stage then lands, turns around, shields, then smash throws OoS forward.

After I'm dumb and run into it he runs forward then turns around and regrabs it, then shields for 1 or 2 frames then goes to smash throw it backwards OoS at me with 1 or 2 roll frames between the shield and throw. It hits me point blank at the same time it's released, causing it to not go into the spinning animation as it bounces off. He jumps up and Z catches it around the apex of its bounce from the hit.

He floats a f-air, blah, and some stuff, then I hit him with a ledgehop u-air, grab and d-throw him, full hop n-air him with the 2nd kick probably being about as meaty as you could get it and he gets out of stun between the 2 hits (and might have tried to jump or started a float as the 2nd kick hit), then I u-air him around when his stun ended (might have tried to jump/float here too), then after he ends up going the opposite direction from the u-air and I fail my l-cancel and throw out a random jab at nothing he airdodges away before landing. He then WDs back then smash throws it forward OoS and it's glitched when released.

3) A clip of ???? Pink Peach vs ???? White Peach on Pokemon Stadium made before 9-2004. MEH
Video starts off mid-match on the rock formation with Pink Peach already holding the soon to be glitched standard 'normal' turnip while on the lower left platform along the side of the rock wall with the White Peach on the middle right platform (the non-slanted one) holding a fireflower item.

As the PP goes to jump up to the upper left platform she gets hit by the fire from the WP, then after taking 15 damage she airdodges up and onto the upper left platform. PP then fulljumps and floats to the right and above the upper right platform, then drops the float and immediately smash throws the turnip backwards which is glitched as it's released, then falls and gets killed by WP's u-smash.

There isn't too much they have in common, and the 3rd video really isn't that helpful. Since you can't see what happened between the time it was pulled and when the clip begins, the glitch may not have even been triggered during the video at all.

Similarities:
1) Both of Ryoko's frozen turnips have a backwards smash throw OoS shortly before it becomes glitched. Probably unrelated.

Possible Similarities:
1) Both could have had him get hit while holding the turnip during the startup of his double jump.
2) Depending on whether it becomes glitched when it's regrabbed after the 2nd throw at close range on Falcon or if it becomes glitched afterwards, he might get hit in both cases between pulling the turnip or is shown to be non-glitched and when it becomes glitched.
3) Both could have had him get phantom hit to normal hit (phantom hit on a frame then on the following frame when Peach was still frozen in hitlag and Jiggs/Falcon continued their animation the hitbox made normal contact afterwards). The pound would have made 1st contact with the outside of the hitbox, and the Falcon n-air would have done this as well. The Pink Peach in the 3rd vid was also getting hit right before it was shown to be glitched and it could have happened with one of the many bits of fire. Maybe this screws it up when it also tries to drop the turnip from you getting hit on that same hit. You get frozen in hitlag from the phantom (when this happens you literally freeze in the exact position you were in and you don't go into the 'got hit' animation like you do during normal hitlag), and then restart the full normal hitlag when the full hit makes contact on the next frame. The turnip was supposed to be released and fall from a standstill but instead it isn't dropped and you end up holding onto it after that hit and it never leaves the phantom hitlag's 'freeze in place' state. *This is easily my best guess for how it happens based on the information I have*

Differences:
1) The Jiggs turnip was first shown to be frozen following a drop by getting hit, while the Falcon one was 1st shown to be frozen after a forward smash throw OoS.
2) The air times of the turnips are completely different.
3) The turnip was never actually thrown in the Jiggs vid, while it was on Falcon one. Also, the number of throws is different.
4) The turnip was never caught in the Jiggs vid either, while it was regrabbed twice in the Falcon vid.
5) They are different turnips. Also, the 3rd vid is of a normal turnip, and there are other videos of -.- ones, winking ones, etc as well as instances mentioned by people of it happening with beam swords and bob-ombs.
6) They are on different stages. Also, the 3rd vid is on Pokemon Stadium, and other reports of it happening on Battlefield and FD (I also had it happen against a lv1 cpu Peach on FD a long time ago). While MC and DL have some kind of stage effect/movement, the BF/FD ones eliminate that as a possible cause.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
I think I'm on to somthing guys. I've actually been able to repeat the glitch a few times by myself, but it seems to be situational, or I suck really bad at doing it.

Anywayz, What I did was simply throw a turnip at my opponent during the start up frames of a dodge roll. I think the reason the turnip stays is the turnip thinks there is someone there to be hit, but there really isn't. The turnip misses the dodge rolling character and just stays there hoping to deal damage.

I've been doing this for an hour or so and it seems like thats the way to doit.

Can you please add links to the other videos so I can see the other ways this glitch is preformed? I'm really interested on figuring this one out.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Magus - Can you link us to the other 2 vids with the turnip glitch?

I think I'm on to somthing guys. I've actually been able to repeat the glitch a few times by myself, but it seems to be situational, or I suck really bad at doing it.

Anywayz, What I did was simply throw a turnip at my opponent during the start up frames of a dodge roll. I think the reason the turnip stays is the turnip thinks there is someone there to be hit, but there really isn't. The turnip misses the dodge rolling character and just stays there hoping to deal damage.

I've been doing this for an hour or so and it seems like thats the way to doit.

Can you please add links to the other videos so I can see the other ways this glitch is preformed? I'm really interested on figuring this one out.
Magus - In this vid of you vs Ryoko you also tried to roll behind Ryoko seemingly as soon as Ryoko threw the turnip.

I'd like to compare the other vids to this one. Anyone else have any recordings of it occurring?

Thanks for your input btw MisterMoo :)

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Your welcome ^__^. I've been trying this more since my last post, and I'm really starting to think this is a way to do the glitch. I've been doing the same thing over and over again and I've done the glitch about 5-10 times now.

Magus420

Smash Master

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
I should be getting a gamebridge soon so I should beable to put up a vid.

Try throwing the turnip before the dodge roll begins. It should hit right before the character goes invincible.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, each time I've done the glitch, I wavedashed backwards. Maybe that has somthing to do with it?

EDIT2: The videos arn't working. One of them only plays audio, the other one won't work.

otg

Smash Master
So my boy Smasher32 (SH3L) showed me this trick months ago, and yes we did record it WHILE the glitch formed. I asked him if he still has access to the video and he is looking, but what he did have was an explanation for the glitch to his understanding. I think these are related, but if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me:

DDoTWx2 (6:54:21 PM): yo
DDoTWx2 (6:54:31 PM): do you remember that glitch you showed me with Peach and the turnip?
smasher32 (6:54:32 PM): yo
smasher32 (6:54:35 PM): yea
smasher32 (6:54:40 PM): why u ask
DDoTWx2 (6:54:40 PM): do you have any idea how it works
smasher32 (6:54:41 PM): lol
DDoTWx2 (6:55:33 PM): throw some knowledge at me
smasher32 (6:55:49 PM): in terms of how to make it work
smasher32 (6:55:53 PM): jsut have peach pull out a saturn
smasher32 (6:56:04 PM): and keep throwing it at a character

DDoTWx2 (6:56:14 PM): thats it?
smasher32 (6:56:17 PM): yea
smasher32 (6:56:22 PM): the more you hit the character
smasher32 (6:56:28 PM): the bigger the catch hitbox gets

smasher32 (6:56:42 PM): when i showed it off, i did about 400%
smasher32 (6:56:49 PM): but im sure it would be fine after like 150 or so
DDoTWx2 (6:56:58 PM): hmmmm
DDoTWx2 (6:58:20 PM): do you still have footage of when we did that?
DDoTWx2 (6:58:25 PM): i was DK, you were Peach
smasher32 (6:58:29 PM): i might
smasher32 (6:58:33 PM): i lost my usb a while ago
smasher32 (6:58:37 PM): which had most of the vids
smasher32 (6:58:38 PM): =\
DDoTWx2 (6:58:48 PM): ah there we go
smasher32 (6:59:32 PM): nah i dont see it
DDoTWx2 (6:59:42 PM): you dont see what?
smasher32 (6:59:58 PM): the footage
smasher32 (7:00:05 PM): of when we did the glitch
DDoTWx2 (7:00:43 PM): thats lame

Yeah sorry, no footage, but this is his explanation.

EDIT:

It just dawned on me that that you guys could care more about why the turnip wouldn't disappear and not about the disjointed grab range.... so oops lol.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The catchbox of Peach's down+B objects increasing with each catch is a different glitch, separate from the frozen turnip. We're trying to figure out why they freeze in midair to start with.

otg

Smash Master
The catchbox of Peach's down+B objects increasing with each catch is a different glitch, separate from the frozen turnip. We're trying to figure out why they freeze in midair to start with.
Yeah my bad, I realized that after I posted and edited the bottom of my post. Hey, atleast people that didn't know before know now..... .... lol?

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
That video definitely got me curious to see if it can be replicated.

Any chance this will expand Peach's metagame?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
if peaches could control this

they would camp until they get one, then ****

they would be number uno

soap

Smash Hero
thats why ryoko got ***** by his own turnip

besides, as soon as we figure it out, smash community would be gay and ban it or something

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
thats cuz magus was falcon tho and hes magus, sexy

yea i was thinking after i posted that it would get banned because
its like mk

not fair

Top Bottom