• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Ya, everyone's mindset and perspective on how to use certain moves came out.

:phone:

Noa.

Smash Master
Hello Dabuz.

I'm just posting this stuff here to copy onto my iPhone. Going back and looking at old matchup threads, Fino always contributed so much. Thank you Fino <3.

Matchups
Diddy: Even
• Use the negromar costume to help mindgame the Diddy lol.
• PS the bananas, jump up and grab them, and throw them down.
• Be cautious with shielding because Diddy’s Side B goes through it.
• Focus on maintaining a distance and preventing Diddy from closing in on his bananas.
• Grounded pikmin toss and fsmash is the way to camp in this matchup. Only SHtoss when Diddy is pulling out bananas. Otherwise he can easily approach you if you are short hopping while camping. The fsmash will hit the bananas and prevent them from hitting you, unlike grab.
• Stop Diddy’s momentum. When Diddy is having difficulty, it is very arduous for Diddy to regain control of the match.
• Diddy's main KO moves are dsmash, a fresh bair, or a fresh fair. Dsmash will usually only land after you trip. Diddy tends to manage kills with bair or fair through edgeguarding. Try to stay alive as long as possible in this matchup with whistle to frustrate the Diddy. He can’t kill you very easily.
• Grab is Diddy’s main way to juggle olimar and keep him from landing offstage. Try to fair him or nair to the ground to punish his grab. Or right before you land UpB away from him.
• Diddy is easy to punish when he’s landing so make sure to juggle him well with throws, uair, and nair.
• Ban: Final Destination
• Counterpick: Delfino, Lylat

Snake: Slight Advantage
• STAY OUT OF FTILT RANGE
• When you SHtoss in this matchup Snake can quickly mortarslide over and knock you into the air with his usmash. Only SHtoss when Snake has a grenade, cause at that point he can’t dacus. Otherwise, stay grounded so you don’t get punished. And don’t camp too far away. Slightly a bit over midrange.
• It is so easy to juggle snake. Grab him and uair him for days. Not too hard. It’s also very easy to keep him on the ledge and prevent him from coming onstage. Avoid usmashing though cause his bair can easily go through it. However if you throw a couple of blank usmashes before they land you bait him into using bair, you can shield his bair and usmash oos. Bthrow and fthrow are so effective for keeping him offstage.
• STAY OUT OF FTILT RANGE.
• When Snake dthrows you, just standing up and utilting is a great mixup.
• This is very much a grounded matchup when compared to the others. Aerials are not used too much to win and carry some risk. We are vulnerable to snake if we are not on the ground. Fsmash and grab are flawless in this matchup.
• Always be aware of where all of Snake’s **** is. Remember that he has two grenades, one dsmash mine, and his c4.
• Be very patient in this matchup and don’t make mistakes. Snake punishes very easily. You can always catch up to Snake since we have the advantage. Just stay calm. Don’t push for the kill or the win. It will come. BE PATIENT.
• STAY OUT OF FTILT RANGE.
• When you grab Snake, using uthrow will not set off the grenade, while using dthrow will set off the grenade. Dthrow does more damage though, so do what you must.
• As a side note for ftilt, jab and ftilt clash with it. When Snake is slowly ftilting you and playing mindgames, you can grab between his ftilts. However this is somewhat risky so be careful.
• Like all other matchups, DON’T ROLL.
• Ban: Frigate
• Counterpick: Final Destination

Ice Climbers: Slight Disadvantage
• Don’t get grabbed and use fsmash and grab a lot. Grab more though.
• If you blizzard is ****** you you need to be more aggressive. If they are constantly getting chaingrabs on you, you need to be campier. Find the perfect balance.
• Stuff for gimping Icies recovery. When they use upB use fsmash, since the long lasting hitbox will hit popo on his way up. When they recover low with squall jump into it, which prevents them from rising. You will be hit upward so it’s safe. When Icies recover from stage height use fmash, usmash, and toss when they are offstage. When Icies are recovering high, just destroy them. It’s not hard to damage them when they are offstage.
• Don’t get grabbed. Don’t roll.
• To mash out of grabs properly: Ok, so lets say you hold up on your control stick, then move your control stick in the 8 cardinal directions. That equals 8 inputs. However, if you are holding your control stick to the far left, then move it to the right, that is 4 inputs. Which means that moving it left to right then back to left is 8 inputs. That's considerably faster than swinging your control stick in a circle over and over. While doing that, mash your shield button, special attack button, standard attack button, and jump button (which is usually L, B, A, and X respectively, but I know some people have weird controls). Hitting any other button will not register as an input at all. So assuming you have a completely standard control scheme, Z, R, Y, Dpad, and the Cstick will not help you at all. This should enable you to break out of IC grabs almost instantly up to 20% or so. Even after that you can still break out pretty fast if they have to wait that half second for nana to catch up.
• Keep Icies separated. It’s easy with bthrow and fthrow. Use dsmash to attack both of them if they are both meeting you at the same time. Otherwise just fmash and throw nana and popo away from each other.
• You can somewhat effectively usmash through a desync blizzard in between popo and nana.
• Platforms are good because they help you avoid grabs. It's either try to land w/o getting grabbed or land on a platform without getting uair'd and uair is by far the lesser of the two evils.
• Ban: FD
• Counterpick: Delfino,

Falco: Slight Disadvantage
• Our utilt clashes with his side b a lot, as does our nair but less so. When Falco gets hit out of Side B he lands next to us with a decent amount of landing lag. Enough landing lag that we can grab him, dsmash him, or usmash him if he’s at kill percent. Another trick with illusion is that you can face your back towards Flaco when he is about to recover with side B, and when he uses it you can shield grab him.
• Platform camp the beginning of the match to avoid the chaingrab. Make him earn that 40 percent. Tip for the spike in case you do get grabbed: double smash both the C-stick and the control stick into the stage. A lot of the time this will allow you to either land on the stage, or tech off the stage.
• Falco can attack our shield and not get punished at all. Avoid shielding in this matchup cause shieldgrabbing is a very rare occurrence. Instead try to pivot grab and fsmash his aerial approaches.
• With the jab, just DI out and retreat. Even attempting to grab or fsmash it from the outside can lead to you getting caught up in it again if he double jabs.
• Be creative with dthrow combos. If you grab Falco at the ledge at 0 percent, you can sometimes dthrow them to dair, depending on the DI.
• Avoid camping Falco from far away. Do it at a safe mid range distance where he can’t reach you with his jab.
• Falco can’t kill us well. All his smashes are punishable and laggy. When we are recovering he will usually jump once to bait an airdodge and then double jump and try to bair you. Whistle well.
• Ban: FD
• Counterpick: Lylat, Yoshi’s

Marth: Even
• Never try to shieldgrab a fast falled Fair when you’re at high % because he can upB before you grab him. But if the fair isn’t spaced well we might be able to usmash oos before he can up B. Never try to hit him with Fair while getting edgeguarded. His sword has too much range, and whistling is probably a better option most of the time. Stutter stepped fsmash can counter tippered fairs.
• Pivot grabbing is a great tool in this matchup to counter marth’s approaches.
• After a dthrow avoid using fair. Either use usmash or try to get a regrab through a pivot grab or a shieldgrab.
• You can juggle marth well and he can juggle you well. To avoid getting juggled be careful with shtossing in this matchup. Uthrow and sometimes dtilt are good tools to get Marth into the air.
• Grounded tether is a risky counter to Marth’s fair.
• Purples as always are quite amazing in this matchup, and the extra range on a yellow fair can beat Marth’s fair.
• Recovering against Marth is a chore. He covers all of our options too well, and the best advice is to just mixup and experiment. Recover low, recover high, whistle, airdodge, fair, and purple toss. All the shenanigans. To get off the ledge cycle through your pikmin with uairs until you get a purple. Then go onto stage with a purple toss.
• Purposefully mess up his fair spacing by running up into it and shielding. Then usmash oos hehe.
• This is a very grounded matchup, with only the occasional fair and uair.
• Fsmash is a good tool to keep marth on the ledge. Charge it randomly though.
• Avoid just sitting in your shield cause he can abuse our shield very well.
• Ban: BF
• Counterpick: Final Destination, Halberd

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I come back here and I see Olimar rated as the second best character in the game????????? Was there some huge discovery in the last year? Holy crap!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
• Like all other matchups, DON’T ROLL.
It's fine to roll intelligently.
I'll go through the stuff you posted in Deflowered when it isn't absurdly late and I'm not hungrytireddead.

But if you remember the password to Capt. Olimar, you can have at it and I'll just check the changes later.

Or that people has been making such success on this character, that he had to go up 6 spots.
It was one tournament and one Olimar (Nietono) that made them do that.
American Olimars were doing really well before that, but the BBR wasn't giving them very much recognition.

Noa.

Smash Master
The changes to deflowered are for the most part purely ascetic. And I don't have that password lol.

And rolling is so dangerous IMO. I've always felt that when an oil rolls it's a moment of that player feeling pressured and not knowing what to do next. There is almost always a much better option. But that's my opinion. I know that there must be some situations where it's fine. But generally speaking...

Noa.

Smash Master
It's no problem just hop off Vinyl's **** lololol.

So I just got out of a tourney. And I feel pretty good about it. I got fourth in doubles out of 11. My partner and I managed to defeat a pretty decent team on our way to fourth, and we lost to the same team twice. And in Singles I got 9th out of 25, only losing to some Falco who placed top 3 and a snake/marth that got 7th. I feel pretty satisfied with how I did. Now it may not seem that impressive to all you skilled people, but I've never been that good and this is my first tourney in a while. Only once have I done this well in doubles, and that time I got third. What a long time ago. But yeah I like my mediocre scores yay .

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Seriously, stop harassing Vinyl, tofer.

So I just got out of a tourney. And I feel pretty good about it. I got fourth in doubles out of 11. My partner and I managed to defeat a pretty decent team on our way to fourth, and we lost to the same team twice. And in Singles I got 9th out of 25, only losing to some Falco who placed top 3 and a snake/marth that got 7th. I feel pretty satisfied with how I did. Now it may not seem that impressive to all you skilled people, but I've never been that good and this is my first tourney in a while. Only once have I done this well in doubles, and that time I got third. What a long time ago. But yeah I like my mediocre scores yay .
Good ****, Draco. Who was your partner?

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah good luck Asa! I hope you do well!

And I teamed with hiROI who's a peach player that I've known and played with since forever. We have done doubles before but we always did poorly ever since I switched from GW to Olimar.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Lol it's that because that's what Jerm calls me. Anyway, I got 3rd at a bigish regional raking in $60. 1st was Kismet and 2nd was Jnig. I lost to Jnig 3-2 in LFs so now our set count is 1-1. I didn't even play Kismet at all unfortunately. He was pretty amazing though.

Thank for following me Vinyl :)

Also good stuff to the Olimar's at SKTAR. I saw some good stuff from all of you!

Edit: YOWO YOU ONLY WHISTLE ONCE

Top Bottom