• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I actually think the size of A tier is fine, if anything it should be smaller. Olimar should switch places with DDD. He isn't better than Marth, Ice Climbers, Wario, etc, though.

Greward

Smash Lord
I actually think the size of A tier is fine, if anything it should be smaller. Olimar should switch places with DDD. He isn't better than Marth, Ice Climbers, Wario, etc, though.
pretty much agreed, but the BBR may put olimar higher than IC, even though i hope they dont because its stupid.
wario and marth are also way better than olimar, even though i think theyre underused in USA

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Remember that I'm in the backroom, lol. While I'm not able to say anything about anyone else's opinion, I can definitely tell my own, and that's my stance on what Olimar's placement should be.

I also do agree with Marth and Wario being incredible, and yeah, they're not as overused as they are in European countries. I think they're both better than Ice Climbers, and definitely can be grouped with the Snake/Diddy/Falco section. That group of five could go in any order imo lol

Dnyce

Smash Master
Gannon is annoying - more along the lines of having to put up with such an awful character. I've played like 12 of them on the wifi ladder now... wtf? After about the 4th one I started to time them out with Ice Climbers hoping they'll drop him (also I like when they get all pissed off... and I'm like "you main ganon" haha). I tried timing them out with Oli, but a lot of my kill set-ups are muscle memory and I hit them by accident. :(

On another note... how do you guys go about timing someone out? The strategy is somewhat obvious, but what mentality do you take, and how do you make your strategy from there?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
olimar should be 8th on tier list IMO, he is A tier material, no horrible MUs, even in the top and high tiers, a way to counter pretty much every strategy or move cept for ice climbers desynch blizzard, one the best damage dealing and killing games, hard to hit due to small size and huge range, high priority options for close range combat, can save himself from a lot of spikes with up-b tether canceling, lots of offstage tricksies, pretty good juggling game, great mixups, really confusing for opponents without lots of character knowledge, pretty good recovery game IMO (mainly due to how floaty olimar is)

for the time out mentality, i just think about either finding an area where i can limit ways to be attacked and can avoid what i can limit (example, me vs. orion's ics on BF) or i will try to just spam fsmash and grab in the most protective way possible instead of trying to do damage or seemingly create openings for opponents to attempt to punish, also, if i get the grab, i always want to throw my opponent offstage so i can stall them out with perfectly spaced fsmashes and grabs at the ledge (if not outright kill them for falling into the amazing good strategy)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Remember that I'm in the backroom, lol. While I'm not able to say anything about anyone else's opinion, I can definitely tell my own, and that's my stance on what Olimar's placement should be.

I also do agree with Marth and Wario being incredible, and yeah, they're not as overused as they are in European countries. I think they're both better than Ice Climbers, and definitely can be grouped with the Snake/Diddy/Falco section. That group of five could go in any order imo lol
I can agree with this

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Gannon is annoying - more along the lines of having to put up with such an awful character. I've played like 12 of them on the wifi ladder now... wtf? After about the 4th one I started to time them out with Ice Climbers hoping they'll drop him (also I like when they get all pissed off... and I'm like "you main ganon" haha). I tried timing them out with Oli, but a lot of my kill set-ups are muscle memory and I hit them by accident. :(

On another note... how do you guys go about timing someone out? The strategy is somewhat obvious, but what mentality do you take, and how do you make your strategy from there?
Choose Distant Planet

Land one throw combo

Proceed to camp the **** out of it.

Greward

Smash Lord
dabuz said:
high priority options for close range combat
ò.ó

i didnt knew u were in the backroom hilt lol

fino u can pick yoshi then cg them to spike lol

and yeah cping distant planet is the only good think about playing aib ladder

ive never done a time out with olimar, probly because im stupid and overagresive all my matches are like 3-4minutes as much

Blissard

Smash Lord
I think the general consensus is that Olimar and Pikachu should stay together, so if they're promoted, they'll both surpass D3 together.

And I don't think the members of A-tier are gonna be changing anytime soon.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've only timed out someone once ever, and that was f@tal at the last MLG. I wasn't even trying to time him out though. I was down a full stock so I decided to not approach AT ALL and constantly play keep away. Even when he seemed open I just continued to play keep away. Part of it was his fault because he said he didn't notice the timer til the end, and he was also trying to camp me back.

Timing people out really does require a great amount of patience.

Also I learned something about the use of fsmash: sometimes it's better to use fsmash when they are a character length or 2 away from the tip of the fsmash. It forces them into weird reactions. Dash-stutterstep fsmash is also amazing, I keep forgetting about it so I want that to become a natural part of my game.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Choose Distant Planet

Land one throw combo

Proceed to camp the **** out of it.

LMAO, **** the BBR XD
<3

I've never done a time out with olimar, probably because I'm stupid and overaggressive all my matches are like 3-4minutes as much
I think part of it is because Olimar kills and can die so quickly there no need for a timeout (for the most part). I've noticed that as well awhile back, and then I was thinking about it recently in a different way. I noticed I didn't really know how I could make a match last longer, and yeah. Knowledge is power / etc / lame stuff.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I've only timed out someone once ever, and that was f@tal at the last MLG. I wasn't even trying to time him out though. I was down a full stock so I decided to not approach AT ALL and constantly play keep away. Even when he seemed open I just continued to play keep away. Part of it was his fault because he said he didn't notice the timer til the end, and he was also trying to camp me back.

Timing people out really does require a great amount of patience.

Also I learned something about the use of fsmash: sometimes it's better to use fsmash when they are a character length or 2 away from the tip of the fsmash. It forces them into weird reactions. Dash-stutterstep fsmash is also amazing, I keep forgetting about it so I want that to become a natural part of my game.
Added to The Big Book of Rich Brown Knowledge.

Also, how do you dash > stutter step? Are you just talking about the initial dash as opposed to a continued one?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
lol. i hope luigi goes down a **** load. only so i can use him in low tiers.

Noa.

Smash Master
In regard to timing out...

I've played smash for a year and a half or maybe two. Don't quite remember.

I have never ever ever had a game time out. Ever

Not in friendlies or tourney.

Not with G&W or Olimar.

Idk why. Fino said earlier that Oli kills early and dies early too and the same can be said about G&W to an extent.

Greward

Smash Lord
lol luigi will never be low tier. but it seems that all the olimar players use luigi too lol i use him too hes awesome

but luckily yoshi will always remain low so its the best low tier char u can use, go yoshi
also his pivot grab is amazing

Blissard

Smash Lord
SO I PUT MY HANDS UP!
THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG!
THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAY!
NODDING MY HEAD LIKE YEAH!
MOVING MY HIPS LIKE YEAH!

Oh and also, who do you guys second? It's too early for me to pick a second, being that I'm not good with Oli yet, but I just want to keep it in mind.

Jane

Smash Hero
Not everyone has a secondary lol. In tourney, i only use oli, and i plan on only using oli. But in friendlies i bust out the wario and ganon all daiii

Dnyce

Smash Master
Added to The Big Book of Rich Brown Knowledge.
You have a book? That would save me an *** load of time of not having to go back and read through posts.

SO I PUT MY HANDS UP!
THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG!
THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAY!
NODDING MY HEAD LIKE YEAH!
MOVING MY HIPS LIKE YEAH!
Gross... how old are you? lol - I recommend Katy Perry, she's like Miley Cyrus for adults =]

Oh and also, who do you guys second? It's too early for me to pick a second, being that I'm not good with Oli yet, but I just want to keep it in mind.
My strong secondary is Ice Climbers, who I've used in tournament a few times.

After that I also play metaknight, luigi, pikachu, donkey kong, marth, captian falcon, PT, Rob, Jigglypuff, and Snake.

X: lol

Blissard

Smash Lord
I recommend Katy Perry, she's like Miley Cyrus for adults =]
YOU, MAKE ME! FEEL LIKE I'M LIVIN' A
TEENAGE, DREAM! THE WAY YOU TURN ME ON!
I, CAN'T SLEEP! LET'S RUNAWAY,
AND DON'T EVER LOOK BACK,
DON'T EVER LOOK BACK!

Happy, Fino?

I mained IC's in melee. Whenever I grabbed onto someone, I had the impulse to shout "HAHA, NOW WHAT *****?!?!"

Kronar

Smash Cadet
I knew I would die on the boards, and I totally did. :[ I suppose that's because I don't have anywhere near the high level/tourney experience that you guys have. XD

Anyway, I don't play Oli much against my friends much anymore because I **** them and I feel like I'm betraying the poor space traveler. :'[ I screw around with Mario/C. Falcon/Snake... and still beat them. -_-

Also, **** IC's. They can die in a fire for all I care. D:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Going to (TO'ing) a big tourney tomorrow, gonna have a stream with TKO on commentary. I'll post the link tomorrow, you all should watch :)

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Sounds great hilt, hope you have fun.

Edit: and ya I guess I'm the only olimar who thinks it's slight advantage vs falco.. Take note I only play wifi

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I play luigi and ICs. Main luigi for a while now, but I've put him back as a secondary while trying out new mains. ICs are the current test.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Have fun Hilt sensei! We can have another gay 94 turn Pokemon battle upon your return, and you can also continue mentoring me in sex Oli!

Also, I totally forgot the url for our xat :dizzy: Time to dig through this thread's history...

Edit: I think practically everyone on the Oli boards plays WeeGee, lmao.

Top Bottom