• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robotic Counterpicking (updated as of 4/06/09)

Deadweight

Smash Ace
brinstar is also viable vs mk. and I like fighting GnW there, but it takes some practice.
Brinstar is THE MK stage. Its too small for RoB...and especially to small vs MK. You want some space between u and mk and brinstar just doesnt let that happen. I would say NEVER bring a mk here...=D

EDIT:
And the reasons that were given by the OP aren't strong enough to convince me otherwise. Everything he said can be said about Delfino. + I can camp on delfino.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Against MK, the bigger the stage is the better. I take them to FD, and if they ban that, I take them to JJ. Just run away and camp and ledgecamp the whole match, be as gay as possible, because they use MK and they clearly deserve it.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i like halberd vs mk personally ; most mks i play ban fd >_>

Deadweight

Smash Ace
again, neutrals arent my cup of tea. ;D
Still no excuse for brining a mk to Brinstar
Frigate>>>>>>>>>brinstar for a MK CP if your not into neutrals
you can camp hard there :D
And its big enough that you wont die at 45% from shuttle loop

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I counterpicked Norfair twice today

Once against a MK

Won both times

(just sayin')
I can see Norfair being somewhat viable, if the MK's platform game isn't on par. And, even if it is- if your "run like hell" game is as good, I can see it working. Yes, there is a highish ceiling to prevent you from KOing, but, there is also those wide open spaces under the 'step like' platforms that can cause a greedy MK to over pursue. However, by the same token, they have the ability to stall as well due to the openness and using their glide. It seems like a toss-up, but, I don't see anything incredibly wrong with it. I may be overlooking something, and if so- someone please point it out.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Norfair is bad only if your opponent knows that you have a HUGE blind spot directly under you. MK can Up air combo Rob about 5-7 times through the platforms....Its not fun. I posted why i think norfair was a bad RoB CP in the Kirby matchup discussion if you wanna look =D

Ruse

Fox
Norfair is bad only if your opponent knows that you have a HUGE blind spot directly under you. MK can Up air combo Rob about 5-7 times through the platforms....Its not fun. I posted why i think norfair was a bad RoB CP in the Kirby matchup discussion if you wanna look =D
Nofair + Kirby is not a good day. It's what I generally ban against Kirby mains.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hmmm well when I counterpick with R.O.B., it is usually a neutral Stage. I think Final D is a GREAT R.O.B. stage. There is no where to run or dodge here. they have to get through the wall o' spam to attack. Just don't play Falco here lol or Fox for that matter.

Norfair a good rob stage against Metaknight? Think again my friend, that's hogwash. Norfair isn't a good R.O.B. stage to me (silly Oathmeal why do you still think it is) it's bad, and I just play Metaknight instead there. Norfair in the words of Btree is called "Notfair" for a reason.

Japes on the other hand is equally as gay but much greater in the positive for R.O.B. I think someone said it in the beginning, but this basically means you can spam nair since it's not going to kill anyone anyways.

I personally just try to stick to Final D and smashville if I can.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Indeed. I absolutely hate ROB dittos. They just piss me off, it's just *laser laser gyro gyro laser laser*

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Indeed. I absolutely hate ROB dittos. They just piss me off, it's just *laser laser gyro gyro laser laser*
And that sir is why it bores you

Add in the other 20 moves rob has and it might be more fun- it's an acquired taste though. Depends who and how you play. I can understand it being irritating. But they can be very fun.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well i hate them

we agreed not to do ROB dittos but I got my *** beat first match so I switched to ROB and then the 3rd match ended up being a ROB ditto

which was very boring :/ not much laser gyro laser but still not fun

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Add in the other 20 moves rob has and it might be more fun- it's an acquired taste though. Depends who and how you play. I can understand it being irritating. But they can be very fun.
As captain falcon would say...

...YES!

Personally, I really like ROB dittos. They teach you what you need to work on more than any other matchup. If you get hit, you think "why didn't I do that first, or how can I avoid it next time?" You all say that you hate how it degenerates into nothing but laser/gyro/laser/gyro/laser, but that's really NOT what happens. In BO X7's "why rob dittos are gay" video, yea, that's funny and can happen quite a few times, but the entire match isn't like that. If the other ROB is going to sit back and spam lasers, then I'm going to fire a few and approach him at the same time. That's how you become better at spacing, not by camping.

I'm always willing to do ROB dittos, and I don't really understand why people hate them so much.

Since this thread is really about counterpicking... go japes, or even luigi's mansion if you don't want to be approached =\

Mr.E

Smash Lord
ROB dittos are ALL about spacing. Camping isn't really the "winner" strategy in ROB dittos at all. I mean hell, you have the same moves so whoever chooses the right attacks to clash with and spaces better is the winner. ROB isn't exactly a hardcore camper, it's not that hard to approach through his projectiles. Other ROB is hopping away and shooting their projectiles? Do the same thing in return, except hop forward to keep the spacing closer. I don't really understand how that puts the camper at any advantage over the aggressor, maybe it's just me.

*ahem* To get back on-topic, I am annoyed by people who largely just CP neutral stages. Sure, FD is a fine CP against large characters weak to projectile camping and, along with JJ, is one of the better picks against MK or Marth simply because it's so large. But many people just default to a neutral stage because they hate playing on "gay" stages (which, for these people, often tend to be only be SV/BF/FD, sometimes not even YI due to the inability to go under it and the slightly uneven floor) when they should be using those stages to their advantage. You're just handicapping yourself by ignoring them. :/

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I completely agree Mr. E. It's always annoying teaming with someone who doesn't want to counterpick :ohwell:

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Can we like sticky this b4 it dies off like the rest of the Stage threads? I actually found this one useful...and it could stop newbs from asking questions they have easy access to...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Can we like sticky this b4 it dies off like the rest of the Stage threads? I actually found this one useful...and it could stop newbs from asking questions they have easy access to...
Nothing will stop noobs from asking questions they have easy access to...

Against Falco, I find Lylat and Delfino to be awesome CPs. Lylat fux with his recovery so badly. Plus, the platforms are beautiful heights for usmash kills.
Delfino is hysterical sometimes. If the falco uses phantasm and is not 100%above the stage, he will drop right through.

I personally have not had a problem with FD against Falco, personally. Approaching SHDL isnt terrible. I have more trouble on BF, actually. The platforms tend to screw me over sometimes, but on the other hand I utilize them pretty well sometimes, so the stage isn't terrible. Overall, I don't find any neutrals ban-worthy vs Falco.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I think Lylat is a great CP vs Falco from what I've seen, though I've mostly just played with friends so my opinions could be skewed.

As CJT said the tilting stage can mess with Falco's recovery, while we can fly under the stage. The stage tilts will also negate any blaster spamming, while you can still up or down angle the laser to pressure him. The platforms can give you cover just like the one on Frigate part 1.

With you forcing putting more pressure on Falco than he can on you, he'll be coming to you and at the point you have the range advantage with your tilts, and if you get a grab a quick throw off stage could lead to a very easy fair or bair gimp if you can get him underneath the bottom of the ship.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
You have a weak spot below you which a lot of characters can punish, but in some matchups those stages are viable. I just posted a few stages that are all around good ROB counterpicks. If you disagree or have some info for putting another stage up talk to me on AIM. .............AIM : Jamnt0ast

edit: yay sticky ^_^

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well if this thread is the one to stay open, we better discuss every stage, not just the popular ones.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I took a Game and Watch to Japes and it was pretty close. As long as you keep your Bair and Fsmash fresh and use your others moves to rack damage up, it's not that bad.

Top Bottom