• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
I found a rare spot for a forced Grab Release on Wario. Got it in a friendly (played 3, then got bored XD) and it's on PS1. Rock formation, the little slant to the right on the bottom. Sets up low enough for USmash. lol Won a game because of that.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Yes, on Ness and Lucas.
Which kinda sucks for them. :ohwell:
what exactly do we have on Ness & Lucas?

I found a rare spot for a forced Grab Release on Wario. Got it in a friendly (played 3, then got bored XD) and it's on PS1. Rock formation, the little slant to the right on the bottom. Sets up low enough for USmash. lol Won a game because of that.
would this work for other characters vs Wario?

(like Pit, MK, etc?)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
What do you think of ROB's viability as a secondary to D3? He seems to cover the Pikachu and Ice Climbers reasonably well, as well as a few others. I've been having trouble deciding upon a good secondary for my D3 (don't say MK :p), and ROB seems to pick him up nicely.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Actually Meta Knight is the worst secondary for everyone because he will become better than your main. Using ROB as a secondary, your problems will be Meta Knight, Olimar and Falco.

Olimar and Falco don't have any big advantage over ROB, but those are matchups which the 55-45 is almost a 60-40. So, ROB is overall a good secondary for DDD mainers, but you will continue having some characters that might give a hard time dealing with(the ones I mentioned).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Olimar and Falco are both either even or close enough it doesn't matter with ROB tbh...MK still sucks but ehh what can you do @.@

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Actually Meta Knight is the worst secondary for everyone because he will become better than your main. Using ROB as a secondary, your problems will be Meta Knight, Olimar and Falco.

Olimar and Falco don't have any big advantage over ROB, but those are matchups which the 55-45 is almost a 60-40. So, ROB is overall a good secondary for DDD mainers, but you will continue having some characters that might give a hard time dealing with(the ones I mentioned).
True statement about Metaknight is true.

Yea, I usually don't have much trouble with Olimar as D3 really, and anyone is gonna have trouble with MK pretty much. It's really the ICs MU and Pikachu MU I probably need the most help with. Thanks!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
True statement about Metaknight is true.

Yea, I usually don't have much trouble with Olimar as D3 really, and anyone is gonna have trouble with MK pretty much. It's really the ICs MU and Pikachu MU I probably need the most help with. Thanks!
Your advantages on the ICs are to outcamp them, make them approach, then Dsmash and separate them, you have the option of air and ledge camping, watch out for blizzard.

just in case you were wondering.

can anyone give me an in-depth rundown of ROBs vs. pikachu?

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Your advantages on the ICs are to outcamp them, make them approach, then Dsmash and separate them, you have the option of air and ledge camping, watch out for blizzard.

just in case you were wondering.
Yea, I've been creeping on these boards and reading some of the stuff. ROB is probably one of the best characters at separating the ICs, and is also good at his offstage game after he has them separated, which is the perfect formula for beating those eskimos. In addition, he can stay away from their grabs, like you said, with his amazing projectile game and uber campy-style. Thanks for teh tippzorz! =)

TheMike

Smash Lord
If you have problems mainly against IC and Pikachu, ROB's nice as a secondary. Against Pikachu, I like to camp, watching for his Neutral Bs(by power shielding). You can't be chain grabbed, but being in close range might not be so safe because Pikachu has some great fast attacks such as Uair and Fair that can give you a little trouble, and some good set tups with Utilt(> Uair > juggling stuff) and Dthrow[> Nair or Usmash(low %)]. Stop his QAC by either using Dsmash, or jump and Nairing.

Edit1: DDD's worst matchups according to his boards:

Ice Climber 65-35
Falco 65-35
Pikachu 65-35
Olimar 60-40
Meta Knight 60-40

Edit2: You're right, Stingers. They are even, but among our even matchups, I consider Olimar and Falco being our worst ones(personal opinion).

RogueThunder

Smash Rookie
Ah, so not possible I take it. I thought brawl+ didn't mess with things like that, but I haven't played it so who am I to talk

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
does rob have any grab release stuff besides wario? which isnt even guaranteed lawlzlolol
I would say that although I'm pretty sure with all the air releases I posted about in the Air Release thread, that none of them have follow-ups where you can make contact without it being prevented. But, I do believe the idea of eating a second jump, especially when the character is near the edge of a stage and is pretty gimpable, then you do have a pretty good gimping opportunity.

Sooooo if you count that.

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
I am a disgruntled snake main picking up rob. My question is:

How much should you use ROB's spotdodge and roll.

From what I can tell from 1 tournament of ROB play, as good as spotdodge->dsmash is do it to much and you get punished. And roll is not that good unless used for glide toss. Just checking if any of this is true.

Other question:

I am used to playing snake, and as such am having problems avoiding projectiles (Specifically falco lolzers) because I am used to just ducking, baiting a side-b and f-tilt punishing. How do you either out-camp campy players using campy characters or work around stuff like lolzer and tjolt spam?

Oh, and ROB is fun ^^

beepbeep!

buenob

Smash Lord
weeelll... you will quickly find that rob is a really, really big target for projectiles... even though his game heavily relies on his sweet projectiles, characters like falco and toon link out do him by a long shot in this category, yer gonna need to learn to powershield and time your dash->shield->grab... tjolt you can just drop a top inbetween you and it will negate it...

dodge-dsmash is indeed good, but it absolutely isn't safe... dodge is amazing though... dodge-grab, dodge-jab, dodge-walk away (lol) are all viable (my favourite is dodge sh retreating nair) .. but if it's going to hit for sure, throw out that dsmash :)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Dsmash is a great "GTFO" move. But definately don't overuse it, it canbe DIed out of. I mostly use it when they are too close and I need space to spam projectiles.

And the previous poster has it, dodge dodge dodge, lol. ROB is like "look at me wave my arms and dance!" then he pwns you as you stand in awe.

Also, learning to powershield is great for ANY character you play; get it down. The way I learnd: play a good TL or Link who is constantly keeping you at bay with projectiles and learn to run in and PS anything they throw at you. Just keep playing and it will come. After playing with one TL ALOT at a tourny one weekend, my PSing improved exponentially. It works. Just practice. :)

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
I am decent at powershielding but my main problem there lies in the fact that my tv has just a bit of lag. Barely noticeable but screws up my powershielding because I practice with a bit of lag then go to a tournament and have none : /

And I was not just asking about the spotdodge. How bad/good is his roll? I was just wondering because Lurcarios roll is rediculous and I never hear talk about rolling any other time I have no idea how other characters are in that respect. (Granted, in my experience rolls lead to f-tilts and down smashes)

Sudai

Stuff here
Don't roll with ROB. You have better OoS options 95% of the time.

As for the powershielding thing, you can probably find a decent CRT on EBay if you really want a lagless TV to practice on.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Dsmash is a great "GTFO" move. But definately don't overuse it, it canbe DIed out of.
If it's DIed, you can use Dsmash again. And if it's not, use Uair as a follow up. Dsmash is great when your oponent is in its range. You have some great options. Besides, it's a very good punisher when used Out of Shied, for example.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Whether or not the opponent can DI out of DSmash, they can't actually punish you for it. If it's the only thing you can catch them with OoS (being our fastest option besides Jab), then you do it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Anyone who knows something about R.O.B.'s F-smash? I mean, if it is angled upward or downward or neutral, does it matter in strength, knockback, frames etc?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Because I've noticed that angling it downwards makes it stronger. =/
And BoTastic!, what do you mean, can someone explain?
And what is R.O.B.'s blindspot?

Top Bottom