• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
^^
that is seriously the only reason I play brawl... every tournament I go to is epicly fun, and good times are always had, no matter what kind of experience you are looking for...

Sudai

Stuff here
Max, honestly, I'd much prefer you here on the boards spreading the love instead of playing Brawl. I wish it were both, but I like you spreading the ROB love. Seeing your post always makes me smile on the inside.

<3

: )

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Seeing your post always makes me smile on the inside.
initially, I was mad that you didn't make reference to his avatar, but now that I think about it: I thank you for it. Good **** on not going with the obvious [cue Sudai: "XD I wasn't even thinking that" <3<3<3]

GEEEENEEEESSSIIIIISSSSSSS

Also...JCz....I was thinking:
I've been a huge supporter of the Smash Bus and I've been talking a lot with the organizers about the logistics involved and in general: about how much I'd LOVE to be on that bus.

But.........what if we took like a 12 person van that we rent and just drive cross country? We should look into that...see how much it would all cost per person.

Basically, if it's only but so much cheaper than the Smash Bus, I'll probably just go on the Smash Bus because dude............how EPIC would that trip be?!?!?!! Everything that's being dreamed up for this sounds INCREDIBLE and finally plausible!!!

I'm so down for this...

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Max, honestly, I'd much prefer you here on the boards spreading the love instead of playing Brawl. I wish it were both, but I like you spreading the ROB love. Seeing your post always makes me smile on the inside.

<3

: )
I do it because I care.

initially, I was mad that you didn't make reference to his avatar, but now that I think about it: I thank you for it. Good **** on not going with the obvious [cue Sudai: "XD I wasn't even thinking that" <3<3<3]

GEEEENEEEESSSIIIIISSSSSSS

Also...JCz....I was thinking:
I've been a huge supporter of the Smash Bus and I've been talking a lot with the organizers about the logistics involved and in general: about how much I'd LOVE to be on that bus.

But.........what if we took like a 12 person van that we rent and just drive cross country? We should look into that...see how much it would all cost per person.

Basically, if it's only but so much cheaper than the Smash Bus, I'll probably just go on the Smash Bus because dude............how EPIC would that trip be?!?!?!! Everything that's being dreamed up for this sounds INCREDIBLE and finally plausible!!!

I'm so down for this...
What is the premise of this smash bus? Sounds like a merry ol' time.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
The Smash Bus is an epic cross-country trip of 50 smashers on a bus.

We're getting sponsored, it's so **** epic.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
**** I guess I'll write up a detailed description...

Lets see...Niko_K, the Peach Player from Canada, is organizing the whole thing. The bus is starting from NYC and is going to Jacksonville, Florida and then Antioch, California. Use Yahoo Maps or something to see the exact path the bus will take so you can see where the bus will drive through in your state.

The exact stopping points aren't determined yet so just look at the path to find out where you'll need to be by when the bus comes to your stop. Only 50 smashers are allowed to ride the bus, because there needs to be extra space for setups and stuff. There is only one smash bus, no more are being organized. I guess someone else could start another bus (which would be great, because 50 smashers really isn't that much at all...) but nothing is happening now.

The smash bus will cost $340 to get on. Currently, Niko_K isn't accepting payments, so you still have some more time to get the $340 (personally, I have like...$3 now, I hope he doesn't start payments soon). The smash bus is first come first serve, so you better paypal that **** to him as soon as he starts letting you if you want to ride.

Any other questions

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Is there a thread for the Smash Bus? Also, seriously, $340? Are we pooling together to BUY a bus? It seems like renting a bus should be muuuuuch cheaper than $17000 (and sponsored too?). And 50 people just sounds like not nearly enough. Space is gonna run out quick.

toasty I'd be up for renting a Smash Van or two. The problem is, we need someone 25+ to rent it or it'll cost a boatload more (you're not gonna be 25 by then are you?). Well even still, it should be much less than $340 regardless. And I think my dad has something to convert a 12V car outlet to a normal outlet.

Hmm what about a train? Do cross-country trains still exist? That seems like the cheapest way.

toasty

Smash Hero
Here's the deal with the Smash Bus prices:
the price per Smasher are not final, why?
1) We have NO sponsors yet! KevinM (I believe) is writing to/waiting to hear from sponsors as we speak. The price can only lower at this point :)
2) We just had someone bring up a good point: the prices need to be scaled according to how far you are from the venue. Meaning: someone traveling for only 1/3 of the Smash Bus's journey should not be paying the full amount. [King offered a solution to this: seat priority goes to those who are closer to the origin of the trip...so the closer (along the path) to NYC you are, the better your chances of getting a seat. That way scaled pricing won't have as great an effect]

JCz, there's no real separate thread...everyone's just talking about it endlessly [and somehow efficiently] in the Genesis thread. I'm pretty positive that once solid prices are confirmed for everything, and Niko is ready to receive payments, then there will be a thread for this.

Also, I believe the costs are so outrageous because we're paying for like 6 days of driving, and 3 night stay in California for the driver...

iunno the other intricacies of the costs, but that's the general idea.

This is still cheaper than a plane though...and FAR more epic than that could ever be.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
SmashBus + Tvs in bus + Setups. + Genesis. Wow that's alot of fun. I am flat broke, so I think I'll stick to my area. Not good yet. XD

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Here's the deal with the Smash Bus prices:
the price per Smasher are not final, why?
1) We have NO sponsors yet! KevinM (I believe) is writing to/waiting to hear from sponsors as we speak. The price can only lower at this point :)
2) We just had someone bring up a good point: the prices need to be scaled according to how far you are from the venue. Meaning: someone traveling for only 1/3 of the Smash Bus's journey should not be paying the full amount. [King offered a solution to this: seat priority goes to those who are closer to the origin of the trip...so the closer (along the path) to NYC you are, the better your chances of getting a seat. That way scaled pricing won't have as great an effect]

JCz, there's no real separate thread...everyone's just talking about it endlessly [and somehow efficiently] in the Genesis thread. I'm pretty positive that once solid prices are confirmed for everything, and Niko is ready to receive payments, then there will be a thread for this.

Also, I believe the costs are so outrageous because we're paying for like 6 days of driving, and 3 night stay in California for the driver...

iunno the other intricacies of the costs, but that's the general idea.

This is still cheaper than a plane though...and FAR more epic than that could ever be.
I just want to make sure its legit and niko k dosn't run off with a billion dollars (obvious hyperbole).

Besides that the smash bus sounds epic indeed and i would love to participate xD

10kanackers

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Do you guys think another smash bus trip is going to be a possibility in the future? At this point, Im still new and dont want to shell out $340... (plus im still in high school and my parents wouldnt let me anyway lol), but this is something i would definitely be interested in the future, when I get a better feel for the competitive scene and all. I would assume it all depends on how well this trip goes, right?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I just feel like there's gotta be a better way to get a bus for a couple weeks. I mean, $17000??? So, they're hiring a driver too as part of that, correct? Why can't we just rent a bus and drive it ourselves?

I'm gonna look into cross-country train rides too. That's gotta be cheaper. But I still like the van idea the most right now.

toasty

Smash Hero
I like the van idea the most as well...although the experience, the stories, and everything..man.

and yo I couldn't believe it when I heard $17k either. Blew my mind. But I'm assuming it's a nice charter bus with a toilet n such. And yeah it's a hired driver. Pretty sure we need special licenses for driving a bus and I would guess that we couldn't get the bus rented unless they DID give us a driver. Not sure about their policies.

The whole idea of the bus though is to pick people up all along the EC and through the South and...man...it just sounds so incredibly ridiculous and epic and amazing and, again, ridiculous...but, again, amazing.

It's not meant to be a practical idea which is why I know your circuits are having difficulties computing why anyone would go through with this. RUMOR has it that even KDJ will be on it! [so says a few of the Blade Breakers...]

oh and to answer your earlier question, I won't be 25 til a month after Genesis ;___; I could probably just get a relative to rent it for me or something simple like that...

gah...I'm looking at cross country trains on amtrak and it's not making it easy for me to find prices at all >_>

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah I can't find out **** about trains, wtf. I guess antique modes of transportation aren't internet-friendly.

As epic as this smash bus would be, the seats are gonna get gobbled up fast, and I'm really not liking the price, so I'm still leaning toward a van for now.

toasty

Smash Hero
Smash Van would be the most cost effective way of doing his.

Roughly 6000 Miles Round Trip, for me at least here in Norfolk.

Worst case scenario, the 12 passenger van nets 11-12 MPG or so (they really average at 15 mpg) and gas is $2.50 a gallon by then.

That comes out to about $120-150 [with average MPG and gas prices being the variables] per person just for gas, which will be the main cost aside from food but we'll manage pretty well on that end I think. And it'll take a full day less than Smash Bus. With food and entry costs of Genesis, you're probably looking at a grand total cost throughout the trip of $____ which = less than cost of Smash Bus XD

Why must logic destroy the dreams of so many ;___;

LMAO WOOOW I completely forgot to include RENTAL fees and INSURANCE X-****ing-D

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm guessing the Van wouldn't be heading South? Or at least I'd hope not. Going from the South > Cali means driving through long expanses of deserts and I don't think an old rental van's air filter could handle all the sand. I know of quite a few newer cars who've had their air filters completely destroyed and their car dead only half way through the desert. I can't imagine what would happen to an old Van. :/

Sudai

Stuff here
Nono, it's a good thing y'all aren't going through the south due to the reasons I mentioned. XD

If I go, I'll be looking for comfortable options anyway, which means flying or train. I'm still only 50/50 on going to Genesis anyway. :x

toasty

Smash Hero
rental fees for a 12 passenger van for a week [just for a frame of reference] is a bit over $500 after taxes, but then insurance for a week will probably be an additional 100-150 depending on what they offer or if insurance rates for rentals vary on the vehicle [I've had sedans and SUVs as rentals and insurance for both were $14-17/day or something like that]

so that's an additional $50-max75 per person for rental and insurance fees...bringing the grand total per person of those costs, gas($125-150), entry for all 4 events at Genesis($75), and food (rounding it to $20/day for 7 days) to

$390 to $440

An epic week long trip with your buddies to the greatest social gaming experience ever? For less than $500 total? Sounds pretty amazing.

Now all we would need would be housing >_>

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
-Way too much startup lag (before the move actually does something)
-Way too much ending lag (before you can do anything else, since you're stuck in the same spot) = asking people to hit you
-His side B only actually reflects things if you hit with the rotating arms. You can still get hit in the head (pikachu's thunder) and get hurt because it hits the head before the arms, or even get hit in the base (foot?) if you happen to be in the air when using it
-I'm pretty sure you can even be shieldgrabbed out of it

EDIT: Against people who aren't expecting it, it can be nice for shield poking/depleting by mashing B to extend the move duration. A few people also use it as a surprise way to get back on the stage. Hang from the ledge, drop down a bit, and then press jump and side-B at (pretty much) the same time. I guess we all call it a "helio-jump," but not that many people use it effectively.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Please don't flame, these are serious questions:

Is it true R.O.B. is not even in a Nintendo game?
What does the acronym R.O.B. stand for?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
ROB was originally an accessory sold to help Nintendo market their NES (and games) because video games weren't selling well. You actually use him in an old NES game called "Gyromite," but none of the games he was in were popular at all (i'm pretty sure there are one or two others). Other than that, he makes some cameo appearances (references to him in other games, usually not affecting the plot) Basically, he's not really IN a game in the sense that you can play as him, but he was literally a robot intended to help sell the console and maybe have a part in some Nintendo games (kind of like the Nintendo Power Glove)

R.O.B. stands for Robotic Operating Buddy

<3 the edit stingers :)

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Cool thanks for the background info. I'm thinking of learning ROB, I've used him for 2 days and I can already beat my friends with him LOL. So far I like using his dsmash, dtilt, uair, and bair (of course all his moves are good, but I like those for racking damage). His spot dodge is also TOO good ;) Who's a good ROB player that I can watch on Youtube?

buenob

Smash Lord
check out the "location confirmed, sending videos" thread, it's a compilation of the better rob players' videos

for learning rob, I found the trickiest parts were learning exactly how to use fuel properly, 'cause his up-b has a lot of neat tricks, and being able to space/time using his neutral-air attack

Sudai

Stuff here
check out the "location confirmed, sending videos" thread, it's a compilation of the better rob players' videos
Names of note are Overswarm, JCaezer, soloSHADOWROB (sometimes referred to as just Shadow, he's my personal favorite to watch), HugS, Sudai, Toasty, and Nackers. In no particular order.

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
Useless moves?

I started playing R.O.B. in December and I have realized something; his Side smash and Dsmash are near wastes of moves. Am I not getting something here? His Side smash cant kill and has very small range, same goes for him Dsmash. I also dont see the use of his laser, which does very little damage and has like no knockback.

Am I missing something here?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea your definitely missing something lol

fsmash - disjointed and fast. it can hit MK out of his tornado and ppl underestimate its speed. its knockback isnt amazing, but its angle is kinda good if they dont DI setting u up for a edgeguard

dsmash - one of his best moves. comes out in 3 frames, works well out of side dodge and shield. racks up damage quickly

laser - great move to spam with gyro, or save up for the big laser which has very nice knockback considering it has infinite range (except through a stage)

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
...OK, Lets calm down and explain the basics!

Fighting games are not about walking up to someone and using the same two strong moves. It's not like the entire game revolves around two moves, so when you have unique moves, they are useful ones. It just happens that ROBs smashes are unique, but I'm not encouraging you to use all of your other moves. ROBs Fsmash is hard to kill with but it is disjointed, and fast. his Dsmash also doesn't kill but it's near guaranteed to get opponents off of you, and fast as hell.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Names of note are Overswarm, JCaezer, soloSHADOWROB (sometimes referred to as just Shadow, he's my personal favorite to watch), HugS, Sudai, Toasty, and Nackers. In no particular order.
lol at you sneaking in your own name.
(Not that you're not a good ROB, but that you put it in there in a fashion so that someone reading it might not realize that you mentioned yourself)

Top Bottom