• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Whoever your partner mains <_<

If you're actively searching out someone who mains a certain character, you can't go wrong with Meta Knight or Game and Watch.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Shou;dn't this be in the Q&A thread.....? I'll answer anyway...

I've seen R.O.B. do well when teamed with other R.O.B. players. But probably the best team I've seen is Kirby and R.O.B., or Marth and R.O.B.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There's like a million of this exact topic.

Anyways, ROB really needs a partner with good killing power. Snake, G&W, Kirby, and (imo) Zelda are probably his best teammates.

Sudai

Stuff here
I just saw this thread, sorry. It would have been merged with Q&A sooner.

Anyway.

It's all about the partner really, not the main. Though some characters just won't work. You need at least a little killing power. GnW, Snake, and Lucario tend to work really well for me though.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Who can out camp ROB?

Who can outcamp ROB?

I've recently started playing ROB and I LIKE to camp.Its pretty much all I do apart from punishing and ledge gaurding.So basically as the title says against who wont this work?

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
other than those previously mentioned, maybe TL? i haven't played enough to know that much, but for the most part i think it depends on your camping...
not snake...lol at laser exploding grenades
i can't really think of anyone else
but i agree with falco outcamping ROB
Falco's laser > ROB's laser
although, the gyro can stop falco lasers...which is nice :)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
this is a Q and A thread question methinks?

But yeah, what everyone else said. It also depends on how well you can camp(obviously)

buenob

Smash Lord
I think falco, link, tink are your major concerns... notable mentions would include mario/pikachu/luigi with their very high priority projectiles, but that's more strong range play, and less "camping"

buenob

Smash Lord
i would have to disagree with fox and olimar... sure fox's laser will pewpewpew you for some damage, but he can't really keep it up for too long... and a simple change of height works wonders... and olimar has to throw his pikmin at you, so you can a) hit them or b) dodge /avoid them quite easily

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
True, but Fox can reflect everything you have and do some quick laser with his own laser, so IDK. I guess it depends on how good the Fox player is at predicting your projectiles. (Does reflector reflect the Gyro?)

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah reflector reflects both... but if he's laz0ring, he won't have time to stop and reflect, so unless he's sitting there waiting for it, that shouldn't pose too much problem... and if he is, then you can just move into medium/short range since he's doing absolutely nothing where he has to anticipate the projectile to reflect it (not enough time to react), and even then you could just walk up and tilt him lol

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Next question, what happened to overswarm?
Are you looking for the long story or the short story?

The long story?

Basically, he got tired of people who were not as good as him being able to beat him when they played MK, deciding that the character is broken. He decided to crusade for the ban of MK, devoting himself entirely to this cause. Soon, he even dropped ROB as a main to play MK instead, realizing that if he can show that he's broken by wrecking in tourneys with him, he would be banned sooner. He even made an ultimatum, declaring that if MK is not gone by January(I think?), then he's quitting Brawl. Time goes on, and several squablles with M2K later, Overswarm is at a loss as to what he should do. He is not getting the results he was hoping for playing as MK, and Im sure playing as MK has its own toll on a player who knows how broken he is. As far as I know, he is considering playing ROB again. He is still active on SWF, but he is not seen in the ROB forums so much anymore. As for his ultimatum? Im not sure hether or not he's sticking by it or not.

The short story? (if you already know the long story)

I dont know. He has been active on SWF, but he doesnt post much in the ROB boards anymore.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Are you looking for the long story or the short story?

The long story?

Basically, he got tired of people who were not as good as him being able to beat him when they played MK, deciding that the character is broken. He decided to crusade for the ban of MK, devoting himself entirely to this cause. Soon, he even dropped ROB as a main to play MK instead, realizing that if he can show that he's broken by wrecking in tourneys with him, he would be banned sooner. He even made an ultimatum, declaring that if MK is not gone by January(I think?), then he's quitting Brawl. Time goes on, and several squablles with M2K later, Overswarm is at a loss as to what he should do. He is not getting the results he was hoping for playing as MK, and Im sure playing as MK has its own toll on a player who knows how broken he is. As far as I know, he is considering playing ROB again. He is still active on SWF, but he is not seen in the ROB forums so much anymore. As for his ultimatum? Im not sure hether or not he's sticking by it or not.

The short story? (if you already know the long story)

I dont know. He has been active on SWF, but he doesnt post much in the ROB boards anymore.
This. Also, it seems like as your name color changes (mod, b-roomer, etc.) you post here less.

Overswarm always posted a bunch of stuff awhile ago. Then he became a mod... Now there are significantly less, if any, recent posts here.

Glyph was made a mod a little bit before overswarm was. According to overswarm, they're both ROB mainers. ...I don't think I've ever seen Glyph post here at all.

ChiboSempai... backroomer, posts once every few weeks or less here. I guess they've for the most part "graduated" from the ROB forums.

Sudai...? I really hope he'll continue to be active here or we'd have no "well-known, well-placing" ROBs besides JCaesar still posting a lot. Nacker doesn't post a lot, and HugS never posted much here in the first place. I don't think Sudai's going to leave us any time soon because he was designated to be a mod in the ROB subforum

It's a shame that overswarm doesn't post here, because he always claims to know "secret tricks" for or against ROB that noone else does, like buffering things and grab/"combo" strategies. It would really help ROB's metagame if he would actually share all of this info with us :\

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I've actually been posting here more since I became a mod.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The hot gossip:

For a few weeks, Glyph was posting here regularly. He became inactive in the ROB boards long before becoming a mod though. Same with OS. Glyph has recently made a bit of a comeback on the ROB boards though.

Chibo was never a big poster here. I think he was just really set on developing his own style, but last time I saw him play he had pretty much the usual textbook ROB style, nothing that really made him stand out. As far as I know he's had pretty limited success too. If you wanna see a unique and successful ROB, look up NinjaLink (also not active on the ROB boards unfortunately).

Hugs was never really active on the ROB boards but he was always one of the best. Shadow is a bit more active (he comes and goes) and one of the most successful ROBs in the country.

maXXXpower comes in sometimes for his hilarious antics but as far as I know he's pretty much retired from Brawl.

Sudai may soon be taking a break from Brawl also :/ I think he's getting tired of it.

toasty has no one good to Brawl with so his game has kind of stagnated. He used to post a lot in the ROB boards but he's only been semi-active for the last few months.

Nacker is still good but he rarely comes to tourneys anymore and he was never the most "helpful" poster on the boards when he did post.

I on the other hand am really getting deeper into Brawl. I've been going to more smashfests in my region and playing a lot more good people in the last few months, becoming more well-known in my region, and my tourney results have improved pretty well since September, and I'm just enjoying the game more. I don't plan on leaving the scene anytime soon, and I plan on keeping up with the ROB boards as much as I can, including keeping the video thread updated with the latest stuff. I <3 the ROB boards.

This is basically all I know about the current status of the big name ROB players. I hope no one I mentioned takes any of this the wrong way.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm just getting more and more bored with smash. More so life in general. The things that used to be fun just really aren't that fun anymore. I'm really hoping it's just a phase so I'm planning to stick it out for a while, but who knows. If I do wind up quitting, I probably won't tell you guys and just kind of fade away. Unless I'm in the middle of a community project or something in which case I'd ask for someone to take over for me.

tl;dr: Bored with life, hoping it's a phase, butthole.

buenob

Smash Lord
i gotta say there are a lot of people going that way... for me, I use brawl as the one game I "play"... sure I still play other fighters, but I only let myself play this game competitively lol... and I'm fairly 'new' to the smash scene only really getting into melee in the last 2-3 years, and then took a big break before brawl...

it's a lot of time to be both good and competitive at a game lol... it can't be done forever (unless you're pro)

--

that aside, and this being a QnA thread, has there been any frame data collected for rob? I keep hearing my friends talking about the frames their attacks come out on with their mains, and they ask me if I know that kind of tech. info about rob... and i don't... lol

--

edit: merry christmas!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Merry Christmas ROB boards!

I think I'd be getting bored of Brawl too if I didn't live in an area with so many great players so close. It always keeps the game interesting, because the metagame is always changing and improving. I'm very fortunate to live in MD/VA.

bluenob, I saw some frame data for ROB's grabs but beyond that I haven't seen anything. I'd love to have this information, but I don't know how to get it. Does anyone know how to test the frames of all ROB's moves?

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
The hot gossip:

For a few weeks, Glyph was posting here regularly. He became inactive in the ROB boards long before becoming a mod though. Same with OS. Glyph has recently made a bit of a comeback on the ROB boards though.

Chibo was never a big poster here. I think he was just really set on developing his own style, but last time I saw him play he had pretty much the usual textbook ROB style, nothing that really made him stand out. As far as I know he's had pretty limited success too. If you wanna see a unique and successful ROB, look up NinjaLink (also not active on the ROB boards unfortunately).

Hugs was never really active on the ROB boards but he was always one of the best. Shadow is a bit more active (he comes and goes) and one of the most successful ROBs in the country.

maXXXpower comes in sometimes for his hilarious antics but as far as I know he's pretty much retired from Brawl.

Sudai may soon be taking a break from Brawl also :/ I think he's getting tired of it.

toasty has no one good to Brawl with so his game has kind of stagnated. He used to post a lot in the ROB boards but he's only been semi-active for the last few months.

Nacker is still good but he rarely comes to tourneys anymore and he was never the most "helpful" poster on the boards when he did post.

I on the other hand am really getting deeper into Brawl. I've been going to more smashfests in my region and playing a lot more good people in the last few months, becoming more well-known in my region, and my tourney results have improved pretty well since September, and I'm just enjoying the game more. I don't plan on leaving the scene anytime soon, and I plan on keeping up with the ROB boards as much as I can, including keeping the video thread updated with the latest stuff. I <3 the ROB boards.

This is basically all I know about the current status of the big name ROB players. I hope no one I mentioned takes any of this the wrong way.
Screw you JC xD .

10kanackers

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Re: me.

Sad.

But true.

I'm trying to play Kadaj as often as possible and only recently has it paid off...usually I'll be mad stressed from work and then I'll head over there expecting to let off some steam and have fun getting better and working on my ROB...but then he starts having "fun" and talking **** and while it's all jokes, I'll be honest: he has a very obnoxious way of wording that he doesn't even realize it gets under peoples skin...so for the longest time, I'd play him [and he'd be the ONLY good person I had to play :(] but I'd get so frustrated with him that the fact that he's REALLY good didn't help either...that was the last thing I needed after all that bull**** stress I deal with at work.

but lately, he's toned it down, and I've finally been able to enjoy it and improve :) I still have relatively VERY little high-level tournament experience, so my mindset isn't always as focused as it needs to be, and then I go into auto-pilot-squander mode and I don't play as well/intelligently as I know I can.

*shakes fist of envy at JCaesar for living in such a **** area*

*shakes fist of anger at SoVa for being such a SHlTTY area overall*

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I honestly don't think I was ever really "active". I mostly just came in, was confused for a different Glyph (lol), and said, "I like ROB." Then I left for a while, and came back pretty recently. The End.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
The hot gossip
Ooh, I love gossip!

The AZ Brawl scene, in essence, has died off. AZ is back to Melee pretty much. I don't do much of either, I'm trying to play Halo now. This, however, does not mean my love for ROB and its people have died. In fact, that's the only reason I've stayed on the boards.

I hope you guys don't hate me for "retiring". I wouldn't say I retired, as that would imply I was good at the game--I prefer "terminated".

Top Bottom