• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I opened this page expecting something about side-B lol.

Those moves are all useful, I'm not going to repeat what everyone else said.

This should probably be merged into the Q and A thread.

buenob

Smash Lord
sudai put "sudai" instead of "me" in the list...

and I'm just waiting 'till I go to some more tourneys, then I hope to get my name up there :)

TEECO

Smash Ace
You are missing alot man,
A charged lazor can KO an opponent that is returning to stage
Spotdodge then Dsmash is the thing most robs do when it is close combat (quick, good damage, and puts them in the air)
And sidesmash, you can aim it down, forward, or upward. The range is better then you think.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Hey guys i made a rob snow sculpture today. :D
Pics or it didn't happens.

dsmash - one of his best moves. comes out in 3 frames, works well out of side dodge and shield. racks up damage quickly
4 frames, not quite as quick as jab or dtilt. I didn't test this myself but NinjaLink did and I trust his stuff, he knows a ****load about the game.

And dsmash can be a kill move. Fresh, it'll kill fairly well, 140-160ish, which ain't bad for ROB if you can't get a gimp. The only problem is it's pretty easy to SDI out of to avoid the last hit.

Shress

Smash Rookie
Recoil Special without B-Stick

I've been searching over and over and playing around, but I can't find a way to perform a recoil special (not a reversed special) without the b-stick. Is this even possible?

I'm only asking, since I have spent 2 hours trying to search and/or testing methods.

I simply want to preserve a flexible Glide Toss that can go up, down, forward, or back, but with B-Sticking, this is obviously impossible!

If all else, link me. Thanks, and sorry if this has been answered in a similar post.

Edit: I'm generally attempting Recoiled Gyro shots. This is why I'm asking ROB players, since this is directed towards a ROB-using audience.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hello ROB mains I recently heard that ic's are terrible vs rob is this true? If so some feedback on how exactly ROB has such an advantage would be appreciated.Trying to train my rob to beat IC's that are too good with cging.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Camp like a *****, and ROB is good at not getting grabbed.

Also, ROB seems to have a very strange timing for the IC infinite. He's just... weird.

He also lives forever with good DI.

You need to get wifi again so I can brawl your ROB and show you why....

ROB can almost literally play the "dont get grabbed" card against the IC's.

Dsmash, Laz0r, Gyro, and staying in the air + camping.

1 :mewtwo: 350 Created using PokeScript - by Havokk

buenob

Smash Lord
well, ya gotta just attempt to stay out of their grab reach... a placed stop stops their iceblocks, and after that they have not very good range... try to focus on using your heavy, large disjoint attacks (like nair and bair) when they get close, and spam to your hearts content...

also rob is pretty floaty, so he's a bit weirdly timed

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Question.

How do I handle Falcos? I played one in the tourney I just got back from and the SH laser was killing me. I didn't know what to do really on a stage like Smashville or FD.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Don't even try to outcamp them, you can't. Just stay in the air, where you can land a gyro on their head where it'll be very hard to reflect, or approach with walking powershields. Some ROB players would tell you to ledgecamp the whole match once you have a lead but I reserve that tactic for MKs only.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Any stage with a broken main platform so you can easily camp them and they can't approach or CG too well. I'd probably take IC's to Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, or Norfair, but I'm sure Brinstar would work too. Stay away from neutrals!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Back on Falco: How do I keep my spacing with him? I tried Ftilting him but he seemed to be able to out-range me, what else can I do?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, it's really not in your favor for the most part. For some reason (maybe it's the outdated one or else I'm just wrong about this IMO), the Falco boards have it at 40:60 IN ROB'S FAVOR. I don't think it is- you can't (shouldn't be able to) outcamp a falco. Try to approach safely in the air (closing the cap) if you can. Walking up and powershielding isn't that great of an option if the falco can switch between SHL and SHDL efficiently.

I'm pretty sure ftilt should outrange a lot of falco's options, or at least when it's angled up, but it will NOT outrange the shine. I find myself doing a LOT of shielding/spotdodging/downsmashing and a few nairs to rack up damage and get falco off the stage. Try to capitalize/edeguard wherever possible because it's about the only good chance you'll get at racking up damage against a good falco.

It's just an annoying matchup.

You should also come to my house tomorrow and try it firsthand :)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
How exactly do spacies recoveries get better as their % goes up?

Edit: also I'm looking for a basic "disadvantage/neutral/advantage" matchup list with ROB, even if it isn't official as long as it's someone who is educated and legitimately good at Brawl's personal opinion.

That being said OS can you give me a link or list of your "opinions" in ROB's matchups. If there is a post that already includes explanations then by all means I'd love to read it, I just can't find it.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Quick Qs from a newbie:

What is powershielding compared to normal shielding

What does SDI stand for

DI is just using your analog to influence the way you go after being hit right?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Powershielding is when you shield right at the moment the attack lands, and the block animation is a bit different as well as what actually happens.

It looks different because the shield around you seems to be different and you hear a slightly different sound.

The effect is different because you don't get pushed back at all, so it keeps you much closer to your opponent to counter them.

Sudai

Stuff here
lol at you sneaking in your own name.
(Not that you're not a good ROB, but that you put it in there in a fashion so that someone reading it might not realize that you mentioned yourself)
<3 W'ever, but I really just listed names as they popped into my head. I'm still not used to being considered good at all. Two years of sucking at Melee ftw? x.x

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
<3 W'ever, but I really just listed names as they popped into my head. I'm still not used to being considered good at all. Two years of sucking at Melee ftw? x.x
ftw.

Also, I heard that some rob from AZ used to play.

Rob Wright AKA Wobbles the ****ing Phoenix

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
How exactly do spacies recoveries get better as their % goes up?

Edit: also I'm looking for a basic "disadvantage/neutral/advantage" matchup list with ROB, even if it isn't official as long as it's someone who is educated and legitimately good at Brawl's personal opinion.

That being said OS can you give me a link or list of your "opinions" in ROB's matchups. If there is a post that already includes explanations then by all means I'd love to read it, I just can't find it.
They don't.

There isn't one.

OS doesn't really post in here any more.

I may make a list of my own opinions on the matchups soon, but I gotta warn you, some of mine are pretty different from the general consensus.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I need help. Someone please give advice on how to camp. I've been using ROB for a week now, and I can beat my friends' secondaries. But I don't really know how to camp. I think it would really improve my game if I do. So far I've been really aggressive with ROB, using his close range attacks (pretty much all of his tilts, smashes, aerials, and his awesome spot dodge). Lately, I've been pulling out the Gyro a lot, and glide tossing with it.

Are there any tutorials on how to camp with ROB?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro laser gyro

it works perfectly lol. if they dont shield the gyro (as in its still on the stage) you obviously wont be able to fire another right away so just wait for ur laser to refill then fire it again lol. but if they continuously shield the gyro, by the time ur done throwing it, ur laser is charged

buenob

Smash Lord
that general pattern is godly lol, but learning to use it isn't the easiest...

I'm pretty horrid at camping myself, but I find that if you can aim your top so that it will come to rest _just_ in front of them, or even better come to rest inside their hitbox, there's not much they can do... if they dodge, they will get hit... if they block, you can shoot another one

keep in mind what they are doing, how are they advancing? are they dodging through the attacks or running forward and shielding? mix up your timing so you aren't predictable, and don't forget knowing when to stop is half the battle... a well timed advancing fair easily catches people trying to approach who are expecting a retreating projectile

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157979

IvanEva is a lucas main, but I don't think he's updated this in a while... it's more recent than the SBR official tier list (ie. it's been updated since that announcement) but apart from that I don't know

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you can't camp with just laser and gyro...

If they're far away, you camp with laser and gyro.
Mid range, retreating gyro then laser. Or glide toss a gyro (if that option is available) and do anything. Then retreating laser.
Mid-Close range, ftilt (or fair if you're feeling risky). Then laser. Then retreating gyro.
Close range, jab/dtilt. Then ftilt. Then laser. Then retreating gyro.

-_-

buenob

Smash Lord
i think by 'camp' they are only focusing on far/ mid, and excluding mid/close and close... if you look at it that way, then both saying the same thing...

i think it will be a cold day in heck before someone would actually suggest you spam gyro/laser/gyro/laser at close range lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Two things:
1.) ROB's large. Sonic can get in his aerials and Sonic Pawnch easier than most.
2.) Mindgames. Sonic does mindgames very well and they only way to get around them is to remain open-minded in your match.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
1. You might not know/understand the matchup
2. You're not dealing with the whole "Sonic spinning-rolling-dashing-jumping-attacking" thing the right way
3. Sonic's speed might make lasers less effective than you're used to

I had these problems for awhile, but they get a lot easier with knowledge and practice. Knowledge is huge here. Knowing WHEN sonic's attacks hit you and HOW they hit you is beyond important in this matchup because a lot of his attacks might look similar, especially when he's rolling. You also need to know which moves clank or beat out which of Sonic's moves, or how to deal with ones that don't.

For example, ROB's jab clanks with a lot of sonic's "spindashing" (ASC) techniques, but you need to follow up with something afterwards, otherwise he'll just hit you again. If you're just learning the matchup, try shielding a lot, NOT spot-dodging. This alone stops a lot of sonic's approaches, many of which involve spinning into you, cancelling it with an attack or jump, and getting out of the way. Just watch out for being grabbed.

Sonic's faster than you. Duh. He has no projectiles like you do. Like Metaknight, these two things mean that he has no reason not to approach you, so expect him to. Sonic has a pretty bad air game compared to ROB. ROB's fair beats sonic in the air for the most part, but you NEED to always watch out for gimps. If you're high above sonic, always be ready for a spring>upair or other gimps. Sonic's three kill moves are F-smash (watch out for the range, it's surprisingly decent), D-smash (at higher percents), and Bair. Even though he looks light, he's actually around the "middle" of the weight classes. DI his throws as necessary, especially his up throw so you don't get spring-gimped.

Sonic has a lot of tricks up his sleeve when it comes to recovering. He can use a second jump, an up-B, and a spinning wall "jump" to get back on the stage. If you happen to grab him OUT of his up-b (unlikely, but I've done it a few times), he (like snake) can't use it again if you just hold him until the grab releases. A lot of Sonics will "test" you by using the homing attack, the standard B button. This is the annoying thing that you see about a billion Sonics doing for two minutes straight on WiFi every match. You know, the charge-charge-charge....SNAP right at you. Right when the SNAP part is about to happen, if you're in ANY type of invincibility frames (airdodge, spot-dodge, ledge invincibility frames), sonic will find himself hurtling straight down to the bottom of the stage. After you demonstrate that you can do this once or twice, you'll probably never see it again.

All in all, just watch out for his speed and his spinning attacks. Your projectiles aren't terrible here by any means, but they might not add on as much damage as they would against other matchups. Try to become familiar with all of Sonic's tricks (spring-dair autocancels ALL landing lag) and you'll find that the matchup becomes a lot easier.

Edit: Wow, I wrote much more than I thought I did.

Top Bottom