• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well, originally I thought that the gyro just took too much time to get from charger -> ground -> ROBs hand. it takes like a .5 sec to shoot and charge and then you have to go over there and pick it up. which is a lot longer then it sounds...and you have to move closer to ur opponent (most of the time) and it can get pretty obvious...but ocean has innovative ways to do it (bouncing it off the bottom, shooting it onto platforms) that make it look a lil more viable

D0c

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, was wondering what the best way to combat ROB's side-step/d-smash combo (someone who spams it) as Wolf. I've been dodging and camping to try to rack up damage with the blaster, as it's really tough to approach someone doing that, but would like to try other techniques. I can't shield, dodge or use the reflector after I approach. Any advice? Are there any moves that out-prioritize that combo? Thanks.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Stop approaching. If you shield the entire thing, aka don't go in the air, Wolf gets a free smash, any of them, probably. You also probably get a free bair or fair. If you feel the need to approach, use reflector's invincibilty frames to stop the attack.

Trust me, I play Kain a lot.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
The idea behind beating ANY spotdodge is to simply not attack it. His spotdodge -> dsmash trick will only work if you're throwing a move out while he's doing it.

Next time you're thinking of approaching with a SH fair, just DON'T. Do all of the motions leading up to it that you'd normally do, but then stop right before jumping. I know it's hard to stop yourself like that, but you'll have a lot of opportunities over the match to remember. When you do get it, and he gets the spotdodge, it's just a matter of timing. ROBs spotdodge is pretty hard to punish compared to most, but once you start getting it more and more, if your opponent is any good he'll stop doing it since its not working anymore. And if he doesnt stop, hey, free wins for you haha

Gike

Smash Cadet
I have problems against Wolf. How should i deal with his bair? Can anyone maybe give me a general overview?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Shield and play safe vs his bair, and hit him on his landing with a projectile. Then go crazy on him off stage.

Ecclesiastes

Smash Rookie
I have a question with control settings for ROB.
I wanted to know if B-sticking with ROB would be better than to use the c-stick for smashes and whatnot? I know if you b-stick, it makes some of his tricks a lot easier to perform like the gyro cancel in the air or the turn around gyro on the ground. So, I guess my question would be would b-sticking with ROB the preferred way to play with him, or does it really just come down to perference?

Also, can someone explain how to face the opposite direction while doing an Up-B from the ground? Like, I start running and I Up-B and I turn around, but I don't keep the momentum from the run and instead I kind of jump up and stay in the same spot. If the explanation doesn't make sense, I can try to find the video I saw it in, I think it was by LuckyLime. Thank you!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
B-sticking with ROB is not a good idea, imo. Once you learn the gyro cancel timing, it's actually pretty easy to do consistently using standard controls.

As for the Up B, I used to have the same problem. Do you use tap jump off? Because you actually need to jump to get the reverse, so I just jump with Y and immediately up B afterward.

:phone:

Ecclesiastes

Smash Rookie
Ah, ok. I thought some people said b-sticking was a better option, but I wasn't sure.

Yea, I play with tap jump off, but I seem to have the same problem. I turn around, jump, and Up-B, but he loses his momentum. Is that supposed to happen and you control the Up-B to continue moving in the same direction? Unfortunately I can't find the video where I saw it in.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
B-sticking very seldom a better option for any character. Peach and Lucas are the only characters who really see a distinct benefit, and even then, c-stick Peach is just as good as b-stick, it just comes down to preference.

:phone:

Sheck

Smash Cadet
I see Ocean shooting his gyro into the bottom corner of BF and then catching it. I've been trying it, but whenever I catch it I come close to dying or just die. Should I z-catch it or fair? Sorry if this has been asked, it's hard to search for.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Z-Catch, but from what I've seen and done, it has to be uncharged. You could catch it with an aerial but that would give you a bunch of lag.
Takes a bit of time to get used to. Don't practice it mid-match.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You could even instant toss is upwards to make it a little bit easier to get back to the ledge too.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

I'm what I guess one would call the "king of my dorm" smash player. I play against my few friends, and I'm the one they sometimes team up on being the best of them. Can't play on Wifi, so I have to learn how to play through videos, etc.

My character evolution was:

Falco->Ganondorf->Olimar->Ike

Now I want to get actually serious about the game. FFA will be what I play most; however, 1 on 1 is what I care about in terms of skill. I also don't want a character held back by his own skill set but rather my own.

I decided I'd be a Rob player.

Been playing Rob all day today. Trying to be more consistent with my victories against a level 9 computer. Then maybe I'll play 2 on 1. Etc.

Anyways, I've pin pointed my own difficulties with the character and figured I could get some help from you guys.

1) Spot dodging. My basic instinct is always to roll away from the opponent when he charges up an attack, never to spot dodge. I tried to kick the habit but I keep doing it. I have no idea when it's best to just spot dodge.

2) Approaching/Attacking the enemy from off the ledge. Basically, I just got knocked off horizontally and I want to safely get back on or maybe attack them while doing it. I've tried my DSpecial, lazers, etc. It's pretty difficult to not get punished though.

3) Approaching from above. This is by far my worst fear. My opponent is below me on the map/platform and I'm in the air since he hit me up vertically. How do I not get royally ruined by a planted character?

Also, I don't use anything fancy yet. Roll throwing projectiles and afterburning shiz hasn't been something I worried about. Rising aerials are the coolest but I still don't do them effectively as I figured the basics would be far more important.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey guys,

I'm what I guess one would call the "king of my dorm" smash player. I play against my few friends, and I'm the one they sometimes team up on being the best of them. Can't play on Wifi, so I have to learn how to play through videos, etc.

My character evolution was:

Falco->Ganondorf->Olimar->Ike

Now I want to get actually serious about the game. FFA will be what I play most; however, 1 on 1 is what I care about in terms of skill. I also don't want a character held back by his own skill set but rather my own.

I decided I'd be a Rob player.

Been playing Rob all day today. Trying to be more consistent with my victories against a level 9 computer. Then maybe I'll play 2 on 1. Etc.

Anyways, I've pin pointed my own difficulties with the character and figured I could get some help from you guys.

1) Spot dodging. My basic instinct is always to roll away from the opponent when he charges up an attack, never to spot dodge. I tried to kick the habit but I keep doing it. I have no idea when it's best to just spot dodge.

2) Approaching/Attacking the enemy from off the ledge. Basically, I just got knocked off horizontally and I want to safely get back on or maybe attack them while doing it. I've tried my DSpecial, lazers, etc. It's pretty difficult to not get punished though.

3) Approaching from above. This is by far my worst fear. My opponent is below me on the map/platform and I'm in the air since he hit me up vertically. How do I not get royally ruined by a planted character?

Also, I don't use anything fancy yet. Roll throwing projectiles and afterburning shiz hasn't been something I worried about. Rising aerials are the coolest but I still don't do them effectively as I figured the basics would be far more important.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Good pick on your new character ;3
My best advice, without exhausting you with a lot of text, is to check out our "beginner's" guide. Don't take the word "beginner" harshly since every ROB main needs to keep up with their fundamentals as that is prob the most important factor to playing any character at a high lvl.
That can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234286

And to make for easy browsing for other useful tidbits, check out this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250804

both of these threads are stickied so it shouldn't be hard to refind them in-case you lose track of this post.

Good luck!

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Good pick on your new character ;3
My best advice, without exhausting you with a lot of text, is to check out our "beginner's" guide. Don't take the word "beginner" harshly since every ROB main needs to keep up with their fundamentals as that is prob the most important factor to playing any character at a high lvl.
That can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234286

And to make for easy browsing for other useful tidbits, check out this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250804

both of these threads are stickied so it shouldn't be hard to refind them in-case you lose track of this post.

Good luck!

Haha. Done and done. Did that before I posted ;)

Anything you think is the FIRST thing that one that seperates the dorm champion to someone who can win a decent amount on Wifi

dettadeus

Smash Lord
For R.O.B., Glide Tossing.

In all seriousness, Glide Tossing. It's one of his staple techniques.

Other than that, work on spacing tilts and keeping your opponent away. If your opponent gets you into the air, get back to the ground by any means necessary (except by taking a bunch of damage). Gyro-Reversals are useful for this, but they're probably a bit advanced for someone just picking the character up.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Don't listen to this guy ^

The first thing you should learn is to punish Out Of Shield (OoS). The simplest OoS option you have is grab, just learn to shield then grab people when they are in lag. Then learn when they are not in range of grab, and learn to ftilt OoS, dash grab OoS, then experiment to find the best ways to punish OoS.

The second thing you should learn is to Direction Influence (DI). This enables you to live much longer, which plays a big big part in this game.

Practice these two things and you can destroy anyone who doesn't understand these concepts.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
...I was thinking for R.O.B., not for Smash in general. :p

IMO mastering a character should go like this: Universal basics, character basics, universal advanced stuff, character-specific advanced stuff.
So like OoS stuff, DI, SDI, mindgames, etc, then learning a character's playstyle (aggro, defensive, campy, etc) and really basic combos like D-Throw > U-Air and Dash Attack > U-tilt, then universal advanced stuff like hyphen smash, DACUS (which isn't really universal since some characters don't have a DACUS, like R.O.B.), ledge-stuff, then character specific stuff like Glide-Tossing, Gyro Bouncing, all that cool Roboburner stuff.

I was assuming he had gotten through the first two.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
semi trolling, one of the first AT's I learned was glide toss.

But looking back, I regret not perfecting all of the basics first, I remember I used to only tap jump for the longest time. To get good at this game the best way would be to master all basics, but knowing OoS punishes are both character and matchup dependent.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I agree with sneaky, I tend to go into ATs before I get my basics down in every fighting game. I regret waiting so long to learn to correctly punish OoS, land safely, and other important basics I had overlooked.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How do we do against Snake now? Not sure if I want to face them with Icies but not sure if Rob has a chance with him anymore...

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I think it's -1, but I guess Snake's feel they win with a pretty solid -2. You're probably better off going ROB over IC's though, isn't that their worst MU?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I seem to remember Toon Link, Peach, and R.O.B. being worse than Snake.

I'd probably go R.O.B. over Icies against Snake if Bees hadn't spent 3 years giving everyone in our region experience vs R.O.B.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
rob vs snake --

+1 vs snakes who dont know the matchup
-2 vs snakes who do (regardless of how well you know the matchup)

if the snake you are going against has rob experience, dont use rob. if he doesnt, use rob.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think it's -1, but I guess Snake's feel they win with a pretty solid -2. You're probably better off going ROB over IC's though, isn't that their worst MU?
Snake is probably ICies worst MU in MK banned but I don't think it's anything worse than -1, some ICs think it's even too.

rob vs snake --

+1 vs snakes who dont know the matchup
-2 vs snakes who do (regardless of how well you know the matchup)

if the snake you are going against has rob experience, dont use rob. if he doesnt, use rob.
Now I have no idea if they have that experience or not :(
But if Rob does indeed lose to Snake, then wtf am I going to do with this character now D:

TeeVee

Smash Lord
use ics game 1 on the starter stage

if you lose go rob on your favorite cp

then go rob game 3 banning halberd

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess that's reasonable. There has to be some reason for me to keep using Rob. He is still my best char :3

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
How do we do against Snake now? Not sure if I want to face them with Icies but not sure if Rob has a chance with him anymore...
Hahaha just change character, even Peach does a better job than R.O.B., sort of. Like TeeVee said an experienced Snake and you're screwed. Obviously a -2 MU. Or else be prepared to always deal 100 % more damage than him if you don't gimp him.

But if it means that you don't use R.O.B. now and are willing to do so then go for it. He needs representation.

Top Bottom