• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
Is ROB a good secondary for Falco?
Depends on you.

What other AT's than Glide Tossing is a must know for ROB?
Reverse Gyro-Cancel and Wavebounced Reverse Gyro-Cancel. Wavebouncing the Up-B is nice as well.

What should I use more, Lasers or Gyro?
Mix it up. Most of us use the gyro differently from what I've seen in videos, so it really all depends on what you like to do with the Gyro. Some like to have it on the stage at all times, some like to save it at full charge to knock people off the stage, others like glide toss with it a lot. Really though, a combination of those based on situation is what will pull you through. From there, figure out when lasering is appropriate (really not that hard to figure out) and you'll figure out your gyro/laser blend.

Whats your favorite ROB color?
Blue.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Is dthrow -> up b -> rising nair a good idea?

I haven't tested it but it seems nice in theory. You are out of range of opponent's attacks until the hitbox comes out, if you space it ideally. Airdodging can be countered by positioning yourself for a fair / bair followup.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion

I haven't tested it but it seems nice in theory. You are out of range of opponent's attacks until the hitbox comes out, if you space it ideally. Airdodging can be countered by positioning yourself for a fair / bair followup.
It's a good idea if you know your opponent will expect a u-air, and then it's only really good as a finisher, not a damage-racker

Also, the American R.O.B. color is where it's at. It's so shmexy.

Sudai

Stuff here

I'd generally say bad idea. Delayed UAir works better for catching them out of an airdodge and it does more damage. That + saving your NAir to KO is always good.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Is D-Throw to U-Air/F-Air(depends on situation) a good combo to use and punish lag?

Are RGC and WRGC a must learn AT's?

Sudai

Stuff here
I actually found WRGC to be really easy..I accidentally kept doing that instead of RGC when I first tried to learn it..haha. I'm still having issues implementing the WRGC in a fight, but yeah..that'll come eventually. RGC is amazing for edge guard mindgames. :o

Also, both FAir and UAir are good chasers and lag punishers. Obviously UAir is better to use when you can. 24% damage (fresh plus all hit) > whatever FAir does.

Sudai

Stuff here
I think the reason it was so easy is because I was trying to keep as much forward momentum as possible so I was swinging back to forward way too fast, but yeah. Oh, that reminds me.

Wavebounce gyro-cancel (that's right, no reverse) is a great tool too. Running away from someone? SH and do that, they get a "WTF just happened moment" as their previously running opponent is now in their face with thrusters burning. :o

I figure it should have been obvious to most people, but I never saw it mentioned anywhere and I just decided to start messing around with it like..last week, so yeah. XD

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Wavebounce gyro-cancel (that's right, no reverse) is a great tool too. Running away from someone? SH and do that, they get a "WTF just happened moment" as their previously running opponent is now in their face with thrusters burning. :o
that is like the best thing for those falco fantasm abusers

stingers

Smash Obsessed
The only thing I can wavebounce without B-sticking is Snake's Down B :(

How do you do it Sudai? I guess I just need to move my fingers faster x_x

Sudai

Stuff here
You know how you do the reverse down B? Full left to down and slightly right + b? Yeah, just swing to full left like...right after as if you wanted to keep your forward momentum, but you have to do it pretty fast. : x

DUB

Smash Lord
I got a simple but possibly difficult question to answer. R.O.B is my secondary and I know his N-air is a good kill move. However I never get kills with it. How do you implement this move into kill situations. I have good spacing with R.O.B but all my kills come from B-airs, F and U Smashes. I'd like to add the N-air to my arsenal. What are the best times to get it off?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Yeah like 10 minutes of practice in training mode and I've got it down pat now XD

Might be hard to use in battles, but it can't hurt to try it out!

Sounds useful against D3's especially

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I got a simple but possibly difficult question to answer. R.O.B is my secondary and I know his N-air is a good kill move. However I never get kills with it. How do you implement this move into kill situations. I have good spacing with R.O.B but all my kills come from B-airs, F and U Smashes. I'd like to add the N-air to my arsenal. What are the best times to get it off?
You are definitely right in saying Nair is a good kill move. My guess is that you are using it too often so it stays on the stale moves list... You want to save it for when your opponent has a decent percentage... Maybe someone else can help me out with the exact number... Besides that, it's just a matter of timing the attack so you hit your opponent on at least one part of your spin... I personally enjoy using it against a recovering opponent who thinks hes clever and assumes Im going to try to fair him... Sursprise! Robo-burner to the face!

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I should really learn more AT's past glide tossing...

Also, Vaporeon is gay.

Sudai

Stuff here
WRGC, RGC, and GC all too good.. Also, learn WRGC and you know the rest easy. XP

If Vaporeon is gay, I'm cool with that. I'm all for the mermaid lesbo action.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Quick (But probably stupid) question. How do you make Bair go faster?

Whenever I tried using Bair's it's just the same semi-laggy Bair I'm used to

But the ROB's I've played used Bair's that are practically lagless! Like it has nearly no startup time at all.

How do you do this?

Sudai

Stuff here
You're probably just not noticing when the other ROBs start their BAirs so it seems faster. There's no secret technique to make it go faster. Sonic's homing attack, ZSS's Plasma Gun, and Link/TLink's arrows are also the only move I know of that you can cause it actually have less start-up lag. (Pressing B for Sonic, landing during the opening animations for the others.)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, there's no way to make Bair faster. Just start it faster (X to Cstick back works well for me, but do whatever works for you)

It's mainly all in your head

stingers

Smash Obsessed
If you're talking about normal grab release (where they don't go in the air)

it's not guaranteed against anyone except maybe ness/lucas but it's effective against everyone :)

Also you can grab release (where they go up in the air) -> Usmash wario

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I feel like the biggest noob asking this (im really not though), but how do you make them go in the air from a grab release instead of normal grab release?

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i didn't know that either

but i was reading os's guide and i saw the "jab tilt like" grab release->d-tilt comboed against a lot of characters and worked on walk off edges well too.

i knew about the wario thing, wario is cake.

also what should i ban/counter vs marth? :)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Ban: Battlefield and Lylat.

Counter: Uhm...I like to CP Rainbow Cruise against Marth. Also FD or Smashville since there are little to no platforms for Marth to exploit. And Japes or Frigate aren't bad either. I don't like CPing Luigi's Mansion because Marths live a long time there for some reason...

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The one problem I've had with Japes is that it pretty much gives them the idea to approach R.O.B. aerially while he's on the ground, which Marth is pretty dang good at. You need to be really patient for Japes to work against Marth.

Rainbow Cruise, friggin' b-air Marth into death everywhere.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i cp frigate against everyone, cept snake and meta...

can't find a good cp for meta ; snake get omgwtfraped at japes

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah against snake you always have japes as your first option and mansion as your 2nd

also the only think wrong with what you said Drag is that you can still Ftilt marth out of the air before he can reach you, unless he spaces an nair perfectly I think...otherwise you're good.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
He might end up right above you. Also, you can screw up by being too impatient with your projectiles and being too lagged up and let Marth get a free hit on you. Like I said, patience is necessary.

Also, Mansion isn't exactly that amazing against Snake either. The only great thing I can think of is that it prevents Snake from mortarsliding into the edge and holds back grenades, but a Snake already knows this, so he won't let it become a problem for him. Plus, a mortarslide hitting R.O.B. into the ceiling, plus the mortar, plus the u-tilt, is awful news for R.O.B.

I'm not saying it's really that bad for R.O.B., because it isn't, but it gives Snake a bunch of distinct advantages too.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Of course patience is necessary :p But how many times will a marth approach from directly above? Your usmash should beat out his Dair, anyway.

Mansion is better then Cruise against Snake, I've found. On cruise, Snake's good at getting incredibly early kills off the close sides and his recovery is actually helped by the stage for any Snake who knows it (there really isn't anywhere that a Snake can't get back from with his cypher alone unless you're at the pendulum and it's swinging away from him, but one C4 and he's fine there, too).

Whereas on Mansion, yeah, being Usmashed into the ceiling is a problem, but Snake has much bigger problems to worry about (that being he has to approach you there, since nothing he has can go through the pillars). And Snake sucks absolute balls at approaching, putting the matchup heavily in your favor.

And I realize Cruise wasn't mentioned in your previous post, but I usually see people mention Cruise as a Snake CP when there are better options.

Btw, against Snake, ban Brinstar :) That's one of his best stages...

Top Bottom