• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Throw a gyro down and the projectile problem is all but solved, your lasers have more priority anyway. Link is far and away the easiest character to gimp, just throw him off the stage and hit him with 1-2 f-airs and he has no chance of recovering at any percent.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
1: Powershield the projectiles
2: When you're close enough, grab and f/b throw him off the stage
3: Taunt
4: (Taunt again?) Hug the ledge
5: Taunt again until he respawns
6: Repeat step 1

gglink

Sudai

Stuff here
Powershield Arrows (Stated)
Powershield Boomerang or spot dodge it for tricks. If you decided to spot dodge it, you can ride the return boomerang in for an FSmash, Grab, DSmash, or whatever you want.
Catch his bombs and either toss them back or glide toss them at him for something similar to riding the boomerang.

Too easy to throw out gyros and lasers between them. You should -not- get out camped here. As said before as well, gimps are easy.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
One last thing, don't underestimate his power. His Up+B may be heavily nerfed in this game, but he's still got some meaty attacks. That said, this should be an easy lay-up unless you are playing some sort of uber-beastly Link.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hey guys, I got you a sig. I stole it from some random guy, so you might want to host it elsewhere.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Haha I know the guy you stole that sig from. I 2-stocked his Sonic twice in tourney.
Regardless, the sig is cool.

Everyone should upload it to a photobucket account and use it and peer pressure your friends into using it.

Sudai

Stuff here
Why not what?

I'm assuming you mean "Why not?" in regards to my "Then why do you have one?" and if that's the case, then I ask because why would you do something you don't like, which OS just admitted to doing.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Well I mean...

Some people do things they don't like to all the time.

OS is doing it to prove a point; he wants Meta Knight banned so he is doing whatever he can to aid that cause, even if it's as minor as putting something in his signature, despite what his ideal standards for his signature are.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i don't think the solution to brawl woes is banning mk, i think it's picking up a new game if he really is all that gamebreaking...

but i won't sycophant sirlin anymore today

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well I mean...

Some people do things they don't like to all the time.

OS is doing it to prove a point; he wants Meta Knight banned so he is doing whatever he can to aid that cause, even if it's as minor as putting something in his signature, despite what his ideal standards for his signature are.
ding! U R WINAR

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Mah at least I don't have to listen to their johns because MK mainers have no right for johns when they used MK.
"I suicided while spamming my MKnado" "Thats no fair! your jabs are only 50% slower than my Dsmas!h" "This doesn't count! The matchup just wasn't enough in my favor!"

Those are typical MK johns. Don't believe them.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
i don't think the solution to brawl woes is banning mk, i think it's picking up a new game if he really is all that gamebreaking...

but i won't sycophant sirlin anymore today
I am trying to pick up a new game. It's called "MK-less Brawl" and it's way better than normal Brawl.

Seriously though why should we follow what the game developers intended when they obviously don't have the same competitive mindset we do? If we can improve the game, why not do it?

WarranThad

Smash Ace
if you're a rob, ddd or marth main, im sure it is.

edit:

“It’s Too Good!”

Only in the most extreme, rare cases should something be banned because it is “too good.” This will be the most common type of ban requested by players, and almost all of their requests will be foolish. Banning a tactic simply because it is “the best” isn’t even warranted. That only reduces the game to all the “second best” tactics, which isn’t necessarily any better of a game than the original game. In fact, it’s often worse!

The only reasonable case to ban something because it is “too good” is when that tactic completely dominates the entire game, to the exclusion of other tactics. It is possible, though very rare, that removing an element of the game that is not only “the best” but also “ten times better than anything else in the game” results in a better game. I emphasize that is extremely rare. The most common case is that the player requesting the ban doesn’t fully grasp that the game is, in fact, not all about that one tactic. He should win several tournaments using mainly this tactic to prove his point. Another, far rarer possibility is that he’s right. The game really is shallow and centered on one thing (whether that one thing is a bug or by design is irrelevant). In that case, the best course of action is usually to abandon the game and play one of the hundreds of other readily available good games in the world.

Only in the ultra-rare case that the player is right and the game is worth saving and the game without the ultra-tactic is a ten times better game—only then is the notion even worth fighting for. And even in this case, it may take time for the game to mature enough for a great percentage of the best players and tournament organizers to realize that tactic should, indeed, be banned. Before an official ban takes place, there can also be something called “soft ban.” Let’s look at an example.

The Two Excellent Examples of “Super Turbo”

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, or “Super Turbo,” is a wonderful example of bannings in fighting games. As of this writing, the arcade game is ten years old and still played in tournaments. In fact, there are one or two tournaments per week in this game in Tokyo alone. The game is quite mature, and there is a decade of data about the game’s balance.

Many versions of Street Fighter have “secret characters” that are only accessible through a code. Sometimes these characters are good; sometimes they’re not. Occasionally, the secret characters are the best in the game as in the game Marvel vs. Capcom 1. Big deal. That’s the way that game is. Live with it. But Super Turbo was the first version of Street Fighter to ever have a secret character: the untouchably good Akuma. Most characters in that game cannot beat Akuma. I don’t mean it’s a tough match—I mean they cannot ever, ever, ever, ever win. Akuma is “broken” in that his air fireball move is something the game simply wasn’t designed to handle. He is not merely the best character in the game, but is at least ten times better than other characters. This case is so extreme that all top players in America immediately realized that all tournaments would be Akuma vs. Akuma only, and so the character was banned with basically no debate and has been ever since. I believe this was the correct decision.

Japan, however, does not officially ban Akuma from tournaments! They have what is called a “soft ban.” This is a tacit understanding amongst all top players that Akuma is too good to be played, and that he destroys an otherwise beautiful game, so they unofficially agree not to play him. There are always a very small number of people who do play him in tournaments, but never the top players. Usually a few poor players try their hand at the god-character and lose, which is utterly humiliating and crowd-pleasing. This is an interesting alternate take on the “hard ban” we have in America.

That’s all well and good, but Japan has also shown signs of a soft-ban on another character in Super Turbo. I bring up this example because it lives on the threshold. It is just on the edge of what is reasonable to ban because it is “too good.” Anything less than this would not be reasonable, so perhaps others can use it as a benchmark to decide what is reasonable in their games.

The character in question is the mysteriously named “Old Sagat.” Old Sagat is not a secret character like Akuma (or at least he’s not as secret!). Old Sagat does not have any moves like Akuma’s air fireball that the game was not designed to handle. Old Sagat is arguably the best character in the game (Akuma, of course, doesn’t count), but even that is debated by top players! I think almost any expert player would rank him in the top three of all characters, but there isn’t even universal agreement that he is the best! Why, then, would any reasonable person even consider banning him? Surely, it must be a group of scrubs who simply don’t know how to beat him, and reflexively cry out for a ban.

But this is not the case. There seems to be a tacit agreement amongst top players in Japan—a soft ban—on playing Old Sagat. The reason is that many believe the game to have much more variety without Old Sagat. Even if he is only second best in the game by some measure, he flat out beats half the characters in the game with little effort. Half the cast can barely even fight him, let alone beat him. Other top characters in the game, good as they are, win by much more interaction and more “gameplay.” Almost every character has a chance against the other best characters in the game. The result of allowing Old Sagat in tournaments is that several other characters, such as Chun Li and Ken, become basically unviable.

If someone had made these claims in the game’s infancy, no sort of ban would be warranted. Further testing through tournaments would be warranted. But we now have ten years of testing. We don’t have all Old Sagat vs. Old Sagat matches in tournaments, but we do know which characters can’t beat him and as a result are very rarely played in America. We likewise can see that this same category of characters flourishes in Japan, where Old Sagats are rare and only played by the occasional violator of the soft ban. It seems that the added variety of viable characters might outweigh the lack of Old Sagat. Is this ban warranted then? To be honest, I am not totally convinced that it is, but it is just barely in the ballpark of reasonableness since there is a decade of data on which to base the claim.

isn't DDD as much an o. sagat as mk? He definitely has a ton of autowin matchups.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
if you're a rob, ddd or marth main, im sure it is.

edit:

“It’s Too Good!”

Only in the most extreme, rare cases should something be banned because it is “too good.” This will be the most common type of ban requested by players, and almost all of their requests will be foolish. Banning a tactic simply because it is “the best” isn’t even warranted. That only reduces the game to all the “second best” tactics, which isn’t necessarily any better of a game than the original game. In fact, it’s often worse!

The only reasonable case to ban something because it is “too good” is when that tactic completely dominates the entire game, to the exclusion of other tactics. It is possible, though very rare, that removing an element of the game that is not only “the best” but also “ten times better than anything else in the game” results in a better game. I emphasize that is extremely rare. The most common case is that the player requesting the ban doesn’t fully grasp that the game is, in fact, not all about that one tactic. He should win several tournaments using mainly this tactic to prove his point. Another, far rarer possibility is that he’s right. The game really is shallow and centered on one thing (whether that one thing is a bug or by design is irrelevant). In that case, the best course of action is usually to abandon the game and play one of the hundreds of other readily available good games in the world.

Only in the ultra-rare case that the player is right and the game is worth saving and the game without the ultra-tactic is a ten times better game—only then is the notion even worth fighting for. And even in this case, it may take time for the game to mature enough for a great percentage of the best players and tournament organizers to realize that tactic should, indeed, be banned. Before an official ban takes place, there can also be something called “soft ban.” Let’s look at an example.

The Two Excellent Examples of “Super Turbo”

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, or “Super Turbo,” is a wonderful example of bannings in fighting games. As of this writing, the arcade game is ten years old and still played in tournaments. In fact, there are one or two tournaments per week in this game in Tokyo alone. The game is quite mature, and there is a decade of data about the game’s balance.

Many versions of Street Fighter have “secret characters” that are only accessible through a code. Sometimes these characters are good; sometimes they’re not. Occasionally, the secret characters are the best in the game as in the game Marvel vs. Capcom 1. Big deal. That’s the way that game is. Live with it. But Super Turbo was the first version of Street Fighter to ever have a secret character: the untouchably good Akuma. Most characters in that game cannot beat Akuma. I don’t mean it’s a tough match—I mean they cannot ever, ever, ever, ever win. Akuma is “broken” in that his air fireball move is something the game simply wasn’t designed to handle. He is not merely the best character in the game, but is at least ten times better than other characters. This case is so extreme that all top players in America immediately realized that all tournaments would be Akuma vs. Akuma only, and so the character was banned with basically no debate and has been ever since. I believe this was the correct decision.

Japan, however, does not officially ban Akuma from tournaments! They have what is called a “soft ban.” This is a tacit understanding amongst all top players that Akuma is too good to be played, and that he destroys an otherwise beautiful game, so they unofficially agree not to play him. There are always a very small number of people who do play him in tournaments, but never the top players. Usually a few poor players try their hand at the god-character and lose, which is utterly humiliating and crowd-pleasing. This is an interesting alternate take on the “hard ban” we have in America.

That’s all well and good, but Japan has also shown signs of a soft-ban on another character in Super Turbo. I bring up this example because it lives on the threshold. It is just on the edge of what is reasonable to ban because it is “too good.” Anything less than this would not be reasonable, so perhaps others can use it as a benchmark to decide what is reasonable in their games.

The character in question is the mysteriously named “Old Sagat.” Old Sagat is not a secret character like Akuma (or at least he’s not as secret!). Old Sagat does not have any moves like Akuma’s air fireball that the game was not designed to handle. Old Sagat is arguably the best character in the game (Akuma, of course, doesn’t count), but even that is debated by top players! I think almost any expert player would rank him in the top three of all characters, but there isn’t even universal agreement that he is the best! Why, then, would any reasonable person even consider banning him? Surely, it must be a group of scrubs who simply don’t know how to beat him, and reflexively cry out for a ban.

But this is not the case. There seems to be a tacit agreement amongst top players in Japan—a soft ban—on playing Old Sagat. The reason is that many believe the game to have much more variety without Old Sagat. Even if he is only second best in the game by some measure, he flat out beats half the characters in the game with little effort. Half the cast can barely even fight him, let alone beat him. Other top characters in the game, good as they are, win by much more interaction and more “gameplay.” Almost every character has a chance against the other best characters in the game. The result of allowing Old Sagat in tournaments is that several other characters, such as Chun Li and Ken, become basically unviable.

If someone had made these claims in the game’s infancy, no sort of ban would be warranted. Further testing through tournaments would be warranted. But we now have ten years of testing. We don’t have all Old Sagat vs. Old Sagat matches in tournaments, but we do know which characters can’t beat him and as a result are very rarely played in America. We likewise can see that this same category of characters flourishes in Japan, where Old Sagats are rare and only played by the occasional violator of the soft ban. It seems that the added variety of viable characters might outweigh the lack of Old Sagat. Is this ban warranted then? To be honest, I am not totally convinced that it is, but it is just barely in the ballpark of reasonableness since there is a decade of data on which to base the claim.

isn't DDD as much an o. sagat as mk? He definitely has a ton of autowin matchups.
Sirlin doesn't play smash and nothing he ever said has any claim to anything that is going on now.

Just FYI.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i disagree, general philosophies on competitive games apply to nearly every competitive game that I've played and i have played dozens (poorly) so i would understand that these concepts are massively applicable. there's nothing unique about smash bros except that it already has a ridiculous ruleset that bends to massive kneejerk fears from the community (a la wobbling in melee) rather then harddata and actual results, so instead of being dismissive with a non-point that is the equivalent of going "NANANANA" maybe you should be a bit more thoughtful instead of johning about auto-losing to good mk's.

just fyi.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i disagree, general philosophies on competitive games apply to nearly every competitive game that I've played and i have played dozens (poorly) so i would understand that these concepts are massively applicable. there's nothing unique about smash bros except that it already has a ridiculous ruleset that bends to massive kneejerk fears from the community (a la wobbling in melee) rather then harddata and actual results, so instead of being dismissive with a non-point that is the equivalent of going "NANANANA" maybe you should be a bit more thoughtful instead of johning about auto-losing to good mk's.

just fyi.
Hey, I see what you did there. You took my "just FYI" and then used it back on me. That's clever! My little cousin Kaylin did that at age 2, and then she called me an eyeball head. Oh ho, what a burn I have experienced.

*facepalm*

I have played many competitive games, and none of them poorly. Sirlin isn't a guru; he's a guy with a website that is in the game design business.

Smash is a lot different than Street Fighter. Smash gameplay revolves around the idea of counterpicking, both with character and stages, and the ability to fluidly adapt to the circumstances. There will rarely, if ever, be an "Akuma" in Smash because the game design doesn't really allow it. What it DOES allow is a character like Metaknight to simply be the best option.

As for being thoughtful, go check tournament results. Hobo 11, the last national tournament we had. What happened?

Go look at Ankoku's character rankings. Why is Metaknight leagues beyond Snake, the 2nd character in that list?

Metaknight has no counters, be it stage- or character-based. Metaknight has excellent base stats. Metaknight has an excellent edgeguarding game, approach, defense, and OOS options. Metaknight's KO potential is enormous, killing as low as 40%. Metaknight's combo potential is just as large; he can do combos that do up to 56% (that's higher than it takes to kill a character with MK!!!).

What evidence are you LOOKING for?

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Metaknight has no counters, be it stage- or character-based. Metaknight has excellent base stats. Metaknight has an excellent edgeguarding game, approach, defense, and OOS options. Metaknight's KO potential is enormous, killing as low as 40%. Metaknight's combo potential is just as large; he can do combos that do up to 56% (that's higher than it takes to kill a character with MK!!!).
LOL i saw some vid of Kalm vs admiralPit; where admiralpit, just upaired comboed his opponent and star KO'd them with a tornado as the finisher. 0-60 death. that is effed up. or like OS killing me at mid 30's >_<

and thats too many MK's in that hobo tourney

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i only claimed my own sycophancy, nothing about his status as God as to rules, balance and design. i also made no comparison between akuma and mk as such a comparison would be outright silly as they're nothing alike. instead I went with the o. sagat example, which MK could be considered absolutely similar too.

is MK really the best option? maybe american snakes just aren't good enough, seeing Ally playing against kingace (who did quite well against top us pros) suggests that MK isn't the only viable, tourney winning option. the fact is there aren't enough good players of other characters, and maybe that's just because they're not accessible enough or much harder to play well then mk, but that's just an attestation to the laziness and knee-jerkiness of the smash community that has always been present. something making you lose? artificial rules imposed on the game will make it better! nintendo games in particular seem to be full of ban happy players with short attention spans, take pokemon as another example of taking games that aren't particularly balanced or welldesigned and ****** them with tons of ridiculous rules, some of which can't even be enforced in the actual game (like sleep/freezeclause). Restricting gameplay gets everyone hard, why else would every infinite be instantly raged against as the thing that will ruin competitive play before anyone does anything significant with it (again, like wobbling)? I don't see why that couldn't have been your initial response though, it was much more intelligent, though almost as smug and condescending, something you seem pretty happy about (not to be redundant).

Let's go to melee and Fox. Fox had one matchup that was bad, DK, but no one liked to play him but bum and pkm for some reason. half the banned stages were banned because of fox breaking them, be it with laser or walk off wave shining or wall infinites. Fox literally made tons of **** that was perfectly fair unplayable, he was undeniably stupid. But, the nintendo community is resillient and will play the games they love to death (not to mention defend them), even if it means creating tons of silly rules.

your stats for MK sound awfully a lot like marth (though obviously, severely toned down). Unlike MK, he has a ****ty recovery and can be whored pretty well off the stage (especially on frigate, so much fun :) ). After a MK ban he'd only have one bad matchup with snake, which is pretty even already and a skilled Marth really isn't at too much of a disadvantage there either. Lucario's, diddy's Snake's and DK's can still find ways to beat even skilled mk's, even if he's the "best" option he isn't the only game in town, other characters still place high in tournaments, but it's only natural for the best character(s) to win the most tournaments, no?

Oh well, i won't have to worry about such a garbage community for much longer, i'll get to scrub out in a game that requires dexterity when sf4 comes to pc, man i really wish i could press buttons faster/better :(. Hopefully other's will catch on that there are much more fun games out there and I can start playing them with the people I like playing games with!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
But, the nintendo community is resillient and will play the games they love to death (not to mention defend them), even if it means creating tons of silly rules.
We have to face the fact that Brawl was not designed to be a competitive game like Street Fighter or MvC or any other cliche fighter out there. They're set up for competition out of the box. In Smash we have two options: ban items, ******** stages, turn off tripping with a hack, etc. to make it a competitively viable game, or not play the game at all.

You're suggesting we should just not be playing the game at all. That's fine, bye-bye. Some of us enjoy Brawl, even if we have to heavily modify it to make it a legitimately competitive experience. If that means going so far as to ban a character because he makes the majority of the cast, including high tiers, completely unplayable, because he's so far ahead of the game, then I have no problem with that.

The game designers did not have our best interests (fair competition) in mind when they created this game. The only people that do have our best interests in mind are ourselves, the community that plays the game. If we have to change the game to make it better, why not do it? We've fixed a lot already. Who gives a **** what the game designer intended?

Go talk to the people who play CounterStrike, and tell them they should be playing Half-Life Deathmatch, dammit!

WarranThad

Smash Ace
why not extend that logic to ddd? surely he makes tons of characters unplayable, just not necessarily all the high tiers. it's a slippery slope.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's not nearly as many. And he actually has legitimate counters. The rock-paper-scissors balance is important. Rock-paper-scissors-bazooka is not good for competition.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
who are ddd's hard counters once mk is gone?
what about marth?
rob?

they're few and far between and it seems it would create similar problems (must c-pick either G&W, marth, DDD or snake to have a chance against rob, for example, as they're pretty much the only characters who have a chance).

edit:
a decent analogical situation that I was reminded of just now was that pete & pete episode In which younger pete's friends start a game of kick the can but add so many rules to make it "fair", they just sat around with calculators to see who had the biggest probability of winning. this is very much the case with pokemon and smash bros to a lesser extent, which has always been one of my biggest problems with it. the other being that a big part community values skill in the form of dexterity (people who whine about the removal of l-cancelling, how brawl is "less technical") rather then outthinking/playing your opponents

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Snake gets beaten by ROB, DDD, and Falco.
G&W gets beaten by Snake and Marth.
DDD gets beaten by G&W and Falco.
Falco gets beaten by G&W and ROB.
ROB gets beaten by G&W and DDD.

All to varying degrees obviously, and most of these characters also have bad matchups in lower tiers that I didn't mention.

It all kinda works out when you take MK out of the picture.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
what about Marth? his only bad match now will be snake, which is close to even. also i'd contest rob getting beaten by DDD, that match is either even or in rob's favor, imo.

the whole point of a game is taking a simple mechanic from abstraction to pretention

all games are essentially simple mechanically, but its presentation hides that and turns it into something fun

but smash bros series has bad mechanics/game design (just look at the physics and hitboxes...) that need to be heavily modified by rules to make it something fun,

and then it turns into a math exercise.

at least Doubles will always be fun :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
what about Marth? his only bad match now will be snake, which is close to even. also i'd contest rob getting beaten by DDD, that match is either even or in rob's favor, imo.

the whole point of a game is taking a simple mechanic from abstraction to pretention

all games are essentially simple mechanically, but its presentation hides that and turns it into something fun

but smash bros series has bad mechanics/game design (just look at the physics and hitboxes...) that need to be heavily modified by rules to make it something fun,

and then it turns into a math exercise.

at least Doubles will always be fun :)
Marth has many even matchups and a few more bad matchups than that... but more importantly, Marth can be gimped.

ROB vs. D3 is slightly in D3's favor, but not by a huge amount. ROB has a large number of "even" matchups though.

Top Bottom