• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

DonTe

Smash Cadet
Are you serious?

Of course patience is necessary :p But how many times will a marth approach from directly above? Your usmash should beat out his Dair, anyway.
ROB Upsmash > Marth Dair?
Any Marth who approaches from directly above a ROB is a bad Marth. Marth's ALWAYS, DI to the side so that they can throw a brick wall of Fairs/Bairs. Upsmash will rarely ever be used in such a situation.
Dairs are almost NEVER pulled off when the Marth is coming straight from above. If the Marth is ever in this position, he would FF a Nair. Also, ROBs UTilt is better in almost every situation to counter approaches from above. You could even UAir chase. UTilt is so ****, that it forces Marth to DI to the side and re-approach you.

stingers135 said:
Mansion is better then Cruise against Snake, I've found. On cruise, Snake's good at getting incredibly early kills off the close sides and his recovery is actually helped by the stage for any Snake who knows it (there really isn't anywhere that a Snake can't get back from with his cypher alone unless you're at the pendulum and it's swinging away from him, but one C4 and he's fine there, too).
Rainbow Cruise, you should NOT be in a position where he can get early kills off the side against you. In fact, it is YOU who should do that against him. BThrow to Quadruple Fair can be pulled off practically anywhere. YOU should be gimping him, not the other way around. Also, Rainbow Cruise limits Snake's ground game and forces him into the air. Snake's aerial game is lacking - only few people actually have a good aerial game with Snake.

Not to mention, he will be using his Cypher a LOT when he recovers from combos, in which you can Grab him to death. Snakes will counter this by recovering high, or away from you, but you can work around that with projectiles or running backwards, to projectile.

stingers135 said:
Whereas on Mansion, yeah, being Usmashed into the ceiling is a problem, but Snake has much bigger problems to worry about (that being he has to approach you there, since nothing he has can go through the pillars). And Snake sucks absolute balls at approaching, putting the matchup heavily in your favor.
Ever play against a Snake who can use grenades well?
If the mansion is still standing, Snake can pull out grenades.
If the mansion is destroyed, it's like any other stage.

You guys also forget to take into account that Snake can easily break the stage quite easily with his grenades, C4, and first-hit F-Tilt.

Im not saying that it's a good pick for Snake - I'm just noting that there are ways for Snake to get around a lot of the stages limitations. Of course, you will be punishing Snake while he is trying to do these tricksies. Plus, ROBs advantages still apply to this stage.

stingers135 said:
Btw, against Snake, ban Brinstar :) That's one of his best stages...
True :(. Brinstar is becoming quite popular with Snakes. Also, it limits ROBs ability to Gyro spam. With the lava bouncing the gyro around, ROB is forced to fully-charge the gyro or use gyro toss combos.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
On Brinstar, recover from under the stage with a nair through the bubbles. It is delayed in a way that gets you back easily. ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ledgecamping is mad effective and easy on Brinstar. The goo stops most projectiles (but not your laser). If you're quick you can give yourself an uncharged gyro just by bouncing it off and catching. If they approach, drop down and give them uairs from under the stage (1 in your second jump, then a rising one in your up-B), it's almost literally unpunishable and it frequently shieldpokes. You can also ledgehop and bair/nair, which will stay out longer because of the goo (but still not good if it's shielded). If you're low on gas, drop down, jump up and up-B through the middle with a nair (hold up or B and as long as the move is out you can't run out of gas). If the acid rises, ROB can get out of the situation easier than any other character, and there's even a little platform above you to help you out.

I'm really starting to like this stage as ROB. Just stay away from G&W here (ugh 9 second turtles and low ceiling). I could see how it might be bad vs Snake too but I haven't tried that matchup here.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Goo are like the pillars of Mansion...esp vs. Snake. For those who don't know, his Fsmash has RIDICULOUS range if he fsmashes the gooey pillar. So you aren't as safe as you think you are if you're ledge camping and try to barely jump out of range. You normally would be, but the pillar extends the hit box [this applies to several attacks though I'm not familiar with which ones...just something to be wary of]

info courtesy of Ajax =D

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i finally went to my first tournies and placed top 5 in first 3 then like 9th in the last one -__-. i need that extra push or some sort of new trick to get me in actual top 3. i know i play really good players and shouldnt expect top 3 so early but im close. should i record matches so u guys can help me improve? i think i just need to learn more matchups and move faster.

also if worse comes to worse and i reallly wanna win should i ledge camp? lol i feel bad doing it but its really safe. if they try to run out and bair me i also know how to get around it and gimp. what if im a stock ahead. do u guys ever gay pple out on the ledge to rack up a ltoa dmge before ur next stock? thanks guys ima rep. NJ finest ROB

Sudai

Stuff here
Brinstar vs DK is also a bad idea. His Down+B covers the entire bottom platform (extended hitbox due to the connectors in the middle) and he can UP-B past the ledge whenever he wants because if he hits the slant in the middle, it puts him into a grounded up-b state instead of aerial up-b state.

Also, he will -not- die off the bottom if the DK's smart. Side-B stall till lava comes up is too good. His BThrow kills from the bottom platform at 90% fresh..it's a pretty ridiculous stage for DK.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Um, ledgecamp and throw out uairs from underneath when they get close? I can't see DK having any way to get around that. Snake can at least nade camp but you should be able to beat any of his approaches.

Sudai

Stuff here
That's the thing. DK doesn't need to get close here. His down-b stops you from hanging on the ledge and makes it so you can't come up through the bottom. All he has to do is wait to do it till right after you laser and he's solid since the gellies stop gyros.

I dunno. I guess I just really prefer FD against DK because stage camping him is really easy, slow + big target + no reflector or projectile. Only thing you really have to worry about there is his BAir which you can avoid by lasering him if he's in the air and facing away and his FTilt which is easily punished by a PS > FTilt/Dash in + Grab.

In the long run, I just feel like going Brinstar gives him more advantages than it gives you.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That's the thing. DK doesn't need to get close here. His down-b stops you from hanging on the ledge and makes it so you can't come up through the bottom. All he has to do is wait to do it till right after you laser and he's solid since the gellies stop gyros.

I dunno. I guess I just really prefer FD against DK because stage camping him is really easy, slow + big target + no reflector or projectile. Only thing you really have to worry about there is his BAir which you can avoid by lasering him if he's in the air and facing away and his FTilt which is easily punished by a PS > FTilt/Dash in + Grab.

In the long run, I just feel like going Brinstar gives him more advantages than it gives you.
I'm sure there are better stages to CP DK, but there are almost none in MD/VA so I've never had to (plus I'm pretty sure ROB ***** this matchup). DK's down-B stops ROB's uair coming up from underneath?

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm pretty sure it does. It stopped my NAir the time I tried, but that may have just been because I mistimed the hitbox and it was below me when I was even with the stage.

There's a solid DK in LA and a solid DK in Dallas that I've played and they both like Brinstar. Both hate fighting ROB though (the one in Dallas only needed one fight to realize how **** it was for ROB) so they play their secondaries against my ROB. (Kirby and GnW respectively)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
What are the characters that Nair works good on? I played a TL and got punished every single time I tried to land one without the UP B boost.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What's your opinion on the Olimar v Rob matchup? I haven't visited the Rob boards in a while.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Olimar is easy as hell to gimp. N-air is fantastic because it destroys all of his Pikmin, including the ones he throws at you through smashes, and saving it up as a killer is not as large an issue because you're going to be gimping Olimar anyway.

Sudai

Stuff here
They died for a while, but I'd dare to say they were picking up again quite nicely before you decided to come back, if you could call your one post being back.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
They ain't what they used to be :ohwell:

The only ROBs I know that still post often are me, Sudai, Stingers, Dragz, and occasionally Shadow.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
yeah...I've been dead except for our local thread and our local tourney threads...mostly because I'm getting my *** kicked stress/pressure-wise since I work with Bankruptcy...and you guys how the past month+ have been on people. Pretty sure our business has doubled in the last 2 months but our staff is even SMALLER :( :( :( haven't had much time to really absorb/test/analyze any strategic/matchup stuff so I haven't, unfortunately, been stuck to the ROB boards like I used to be ;____;

hopefully this will change in the coming weeks...but I don't think the workload is going to get any easier for me with the economy.

miss my robofamily...

JCaez you're coming down here on the 18th right??? BRING MY TV REMOTE! that thing is gathering dust in my garage right now >_<

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Hmmm...

Y'know, I know that there probably is an optimal CP against DeDeDe, but I've reached the point where I don't think it makes that big a difference.

As for Game and Watch...platforms are ******** and makes it difficult as hell to recover (as if it wasn't hard enough already).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar is easy as hell to gimp. N-air is fantastic because it destroys all of his Pikmin, including the ones he throws at you through smashes, and saving it up as a killer is not as large an issue because you're going to be gimping Olimar anyway.
lolz. I love stereotypes.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Jungle Japes against DeDeDe, it's completely impossible to lose.

Jungle Japes is also valid against Game and Watch, along with Luigi's Mansion, but G+W doesn't really get hampered by stages too much. If someone could explain to me the Yoshi's Island option I would be eternally grateful.

Aggressive against Samus or using Samus? In general you want to do a ********ton of damage with lasers in that matchup, and don't go too high into the air for any reason. Try to control the stage, too, stay in the middle where you can easily recover from Zairs and not have to worry about getting dunked.

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet
Yeah I am too lazy to go back in the thread so what are the tips on defeating the space animals? I play with a very annoying Falco (Zen) and his chain grabs are pissing me off.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Jungle Japes against DeDeDe, it's completely impossible to lose.

Jungle Japes is also valid against Game and Watch, along with Luigi's Mansion, but G+W doesn't really get hampered by stages too much. If someone could explain to me the Yoshi's Island option I would be eternally grateful.

Aggressive against Samus or using Samus? In general you want to do a ********ton of damage with lasers in that matchup, and don't go too high into the air for any reason. Try to control the stage, too, stay in the middle where you can easily recover from Zairs and not have to worry about getting dunked.

yeah i figured, i have to outcamp them, but it takes the fun out of physically manhandling samus

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Falco can only CG ROB to like 20% anyway. You can jump out after that, but he gets a guaranteed usmash at that point.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'd support Sudai.

*Leaves ROB boards again.

LordMars

Smash Rookie
Hey, got a question about matching Link.

I use to fight against a Link who is spamming arrows, bombs and his boomerang all the time, how to fight best against him, since I got huge problems with him...

Top Bottom