• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
it's more of a tiny accident of pressing B a bit too late when trying to upB...you don't even notice you used your jump though because you immediately go into UpB.

that's my theory anyway. yesterday I lost a MM because I thought I saved my jump before doing the upB, then I tried to jump later when I was toward the bottom and needed it...and just died.

last stock.

3rd match.

against an MK ;________;

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I've never felt as though I've lost my second jump. I either know I've already used it, so I don't try to use it, or I know it's still available, I call for it, and I use my Up+B.

Maybe it's because I like wavebouncing my Up+B a lot.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
another thing I use tap jump off for is up angled f-smashes. So much easier than trying to angle the c-stick perfectly. You an also change the angle on the fly before releasing the charge.
You don't have to angle the c-stick perfectly. Just hit it exactly horizontally and press the joystick down or up.

I just go completely default... I see no good reason presently to have to change the way I play.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
Yes, and I'm saying that I play default and can do that just fine. You don't need to angle the c-stick as an alternative.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this is repettitive, but I need some advice in an upcomming matchup. I'm going to my 4th tourney this weekend, but I've always lost to an olimar 3 out of the 4 tourneys I attended. I always have trouble approaching him because of his range. Edgeguarding him is tough because he uses his whistle to prevent him from being knocked away. Maybe I'm not being too aggresive over the ledge. Also, when I loose to him, it's always on his counterpicks, especially corneria. Any tips on which stages I should stay away from?

I apologize if this was mentioned earlier somewhere.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
olimar is defintely one of my toughest matchups. one thing u can do to catch em off guard that iv found sort of works is spamming nair and dtilt. the nair kills a good amount of pikmin when theyr thrown at u (not all though), then if u land next to him autocanceling the nair and start dtilting, that will stop his attempt to grab you. keep pressure on him. spamming from far away isnt exactly the best way to win this matchup in all situations.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Haven't played a good olimar but you do have the better projectiles game so don't approach him force him to come to you. I am guessing he is taking you to corneria for the low ceiling so avoid stages with low ceilings.

toasty

Smash Hero
gahhh no no no I've lost to Whodat's Olimar too many times in tourney by "waiting"...I finally beat him a few weeks ago by following Kadaj's advice of simply: Rushdown. It's a bit terrifying but SOMEHOW it works. Don't give him room to play at all. And if he's standing, do NOT approach from the air. his usmash is too good.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Disregard my ignorant statement then listen to toasty. Are there any good Olimar videos? The ROB video thread seems to only have two some what outdated vids.

Sudai

Stuff here
I have a set vs Olimar I'm about to upload that was pretty close. Dunno if it would be considered good or not though as I was playing pretty terribly last night. x.x

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Olimar is cake, especially since you can abuse NAir because your kills should come from edgeguarding/hogging before off-the-top kills even become a possibility.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
It's okay to abuse n-air against Olimar since he's so easy to gimp, plus it's a good way to get Pikmin off of your back while using a move that is relatively safe against Olimar.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I agree with Dragz. If it works on the Olimar you're fighting, why not use it? Stingers, you're acting like abusing nair in one fight is going to make the character itself and all its players slip back into some terrible dark age of yesteryear... lighten up

lord karn

Smash Master
gahhh no no no I've lost to Whodat's Olimar too many times in tourney by "waiting"...I finally beat him a few weeks ago by following Kadaj's advice of simply: Rushdown. It's a bit terrifying but SOMEHOW it works. Don't give him room to play at all. And if he's standing, do NOT approach from the air. his usmash is too good.
Fair goes through upsmash if timed correctly. In fact, Olimar has really bad priority, even though it's disjointed. His grab is the only thing to really worry about. Rush down and gay him rapidly. I just recorded several tourney matches against a good Olimar player, he'll probably post them up sometime.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The thing you must always remember about Olimar is that he can deal you lots of damage, but you can kill him very quickly. The amount of damage you're going to receive from him is inevitable, so instead of letting him take advantage of that massive damage and killing you, you have to make sure you kill him first, which, due to his massive gimpability and your own insane gimping skills, is easily done.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
The thing you must always remember about Olimar is that he can deal you lots of damage, but you can kill him very quickly. The amount of damage you're going to receive from him is inevitable, so instead of letting him take advantage of that massive damage and killing you, you have to make sure you kill him first, which, due to his massive gimpability and your own insane gimping skills, is easily done.
That statement is very true now that I think about it. I'll just remember to be aggressive over the edge. But how about if olimar uses whistle armor while recovering? Most of the time, he just uses that against me to protect himself while I try to edgeguard. Thank you for the advice guys.

toasty

Smash Hero
if he's far out enough, jump out there facing the stage and then bair, if he whistle armors, you have enough distance for him to cover so that you can grab the edge before he can get to it, and then just hang =D

but for real, aggression aggression aggression and then gimp rapidly, like Karn said.

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

oh wait....wrong forum >_>

anyway. I didn't know that about fair vs. usmash. good ****.

but as a rule of thumb, limit your above-olimar time as much as possible unless you know the other guy's style really well as I'm sure Karn knows Echo's style

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
if he's far out enough, jump out there facing the stage and then bair, if he whistle armors, you have enough distance for him to cover so that you can grab the edge before he can get to it, and then just hang =D
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, ROB's bair hitboxes last much more than olimar's whistle superarmor frames. If you time it right, you can still catch him with it, I would think...
I'm not too sure, I don't play that many Olimars...

Sudai

Stuff here
I personally love FD against D3. Like...love it to death. Quite possibly the only character I'll CP to a neutral..ever. So long as you stay to the edges of FD, the match is so much easier. If they somehow weasel their way between you and the ledge, don't fight to regain your position, just retreat all the way to the other side and stake out at that edge.

Sudai

Stuff here
Oh, lawlz. I've never had one take me there nor have I taken one there. I don't see why it'd be a good idea for the D3 though. Not against ROB or MK anyway. Against some characters I could see it, but not against the characters that are better equipped in the air than him. Small edges at start = better low percent KOs. Plenty of temp walls. Stock advantage leads to wall infinite suicides as well. Overall probably not that bad for D3, but definitely not an advantage stage for him vs ROB or MK. This is all on paper though, of course.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
yeah man, i decided to head onto AiB to play a bit after doing some studying,

some dude CP'd rainbow cruise on me it wasnt such a great experience on my receiving end. thank god i won the first and my CP'ed matches tho.

lord karn

Smash Master

but for real, aggression aggression aggression and then gimp rapidly, like Karn said.

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

oh wait....wrong forum >_>

anyway. I didn't know that about fair vs. usmash. good ****.

but as a rule of thumb, limit your above-olimar time as much as possible unless you know the other guy's style really well as I'm sure Karn knows Echo's style
I think a purple upsmash might go through the fair. I'm not really sure of the top of my head. Being right in front of Olimar is usually not a good position, and neither is being directly above him. You want to be somewhere imbetween his upsmash and his grab while approaching him, at a diagonal I guess. Lasering Olimar off the edge as he uses his jump is amazing.

billbillbill

toasty

Smash Hero
You want to be somewhere imbetween his upsmash and his grab while approaching him, at a diagonal I guess.
the problem with that is if he has a yellow pikmin, whose upsmash pretty much IS that diagonal hitbox, for no reason at all ;__;

I just stay on the ground until I get HIM in the air.

Laser gimp = so satisfying =D

hanging on the ledge and doing Side-B from it when they jump and throw a purple? ****ing hilarious.

lord karn

Smash Master
The yellow upsmash definitely has more horizontal range than normal but there is still a place where you can be safe. Ftilt is usually your best option on the ground. Remember, Olimar's grab is the only grab in the game that has no juggernaut frames. So even if he tries to grab at the same time usually the ftilt will hit him and cause you to break out of the grab. On the ground Purples can be really annoying though, so I usually try to stay on top of him and pressure.

I've never tried the forward b on the ledge thing, I think I'll have to try it.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
Is ROB a good secondary for TL? I know both rely on camping a lot and have trouble killing but does ROB do well where TL doesn't?

Is trying to main a ROB worth it

m00g267

Smash Cadet
this might sound n00bish but how does one whip out the gyro so fast w/ min lag? it always seems like when i go for a quick gyro it starts charging then i have to hit b again to get it out but by then the other player knows it's coming. so just hit b as fast as you can?

also. how to crush a MK :]

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Sit on him. Unfortunately, he's a puffball and will just balloon right back up. Man, MK really is unstoppable...

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Is ROB a good secondary for Falco?

What other AT's than Glide Tossing is a must know for ROB?

What should I use more, Lasers or Gyro?

Whats your favorite ROB color?

Top Bottom