• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Overswarm: Do you realize how many absolute statements you make when you talk? Stop being so ignorant.

I've done it, and I do it. End of story.

Toasty: You'll do fine, dude. MD/VA is too good.

null55

Smash Master
Overswarm, do you use your c-stick to do bairs even when you're not recovering?

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
hey I'm not sure if this is a matchup thread but how do you deal with Link? the guy I played was GOOD. I couldn't aproach him due to those ****in arrows. And he sidedodged my lasers and Gyros, he would also randomly throw bombs in the air to stop an air attack, and since R.O.Bs biggest weak point is under him, he would do U-air which really knocks you out.

I was so mad, I nearly chucked my controller out the window, it makes me angry thinking about it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm, do you use your c-stick to do bairs even when you're not recovering?
Yup. I use c-stick for all my aerials.

Omni: I'll treat you the same as the 13 year old kid at Dink's LAN Cafe who was willing to money match me because he read on smashboards all this ROB information from "some guy named Overswarm". It didn't help him because he didn't apply it. It might different for someone who already has their character figured out and has been playing Smash for years, but this guy obviously hasn't. This isn't like a veteran reading "oh, you just short hop fast fall the fair into a RAR'd gyro cancel bair with no jump off the stage to set Snake up for a rising dair" and saying "oh, okay" and just doing it. This is a guy who obviously isn't very familiar with his character attempting to read skill into his brain and that doesn't work.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Thanks for the moral support...

I think there's been a misunderstanding...

All Omni did was take a shortcut......it's not like he said "awesome, now I know how to be good with this character". It just narrowed down what he could theorize. Given the opportunity, he would put it into practice.

I know I'm not involved but I guess reading the CH3 thread has made me bitter toward even the most harmless of bickering.

Omni

BRoomer
Omni: I'll treat you the same as the 13 year old kid at Dink's LAN Cafe who was willing to money match me because he read on smashboards all this ROB information from "some guy named Overswarm". It didn't help him because he didn't apply it. It might different for someone who already has their character figured out and has been playing Smash for years, but this guy obviously hasn't. This isn't like a veteran reading "oh, you just short hop fast fall the fair into a RAR'd gyro cancel bair with no jump off the stage to set Snake up for a rising dair" and saying "oh, okay" and just doing it. This is a guy who obviously isn't very familiar with his character attempting to read skill into his brain and that doesn't work.
Right. You're not listening. I guess I'll try to spell this out for you one more time.

My theory works for me. Although I don't have access to a TV, I clearly said in my post that it takes me about a night or two to use what I've studied to confirm that my tactics are valid. Maybe you misunderstand, but those nights are nights of playing Brawl. Just because "I" don't have a TV doesn't mean nobody else around me doesn't have one.

If you still don't understand, then check the results thread when you get the chance.

Sudai

Stuff here
Control your DI. It's much more effective to do retreating FAirs with the C-Stick and if you're gonna use the CS in situational times, you might as well use the C-Stick all the time since there's no real advantage to using the A button aside from getting the aerial out 2 frames faster (not because it does that, but because it takes me about two frames longer to get to the C-Stick than it does to get to the A button).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Right. You're not listening. I guess I'll try to spell this out for you one more time.

My theory works for me. Although I don't have access to a TV, I clearly said in my post that it takes me about a night or two to use what I've studied to confirm that my tactics are valid. Maybe you misunderstand, but those nights are nights of playing Brawl. Just because "I" don't have a TV doesn't mean nobody else around me doesn't have one.

If you still don't understand, then check the results thread when you get the chance.
In other words, I told a guy that he had to practice instead of just reading information on a thread to get better, and you come in saying "NO! I can read and get better! also I practice this information for a two days rather than just read"?

If you don't have anything to disagree with, don't disagree. I don't care what you're tournament results are, they won't ever tell me if anyone is ever right or wrong. I win consistently, 1rst place and not below, and it doesn't make what I say better or worse than anyone else. What makes it better is that it makes sense and is true, and what makes sense and is true is that you have to practice to get better, not just read. -_-;;

Omni

BRoomer
I don't know why we're having this discussion then. I -never- implied that you don't have to practice to get better. Maybe you were given the impression that I don't practice which isn't true; I don't practice a lot.

I agree with that you have to practice to get better. What I said was that if you understand even the basics of a character and their limits, and you have very good mindgames, to be blunt, it's not too difficult to apply theory into practice and confirm its usefulness. Basically, because I don't practice much, I do a lot of visualization and what I'm trying to tell you is that it works for me. I'm not asking you to agree with me; just... saying... "Hey... it works for me." ya know?

But yeah, I don't think we have disagreed with each other. More than likely our tactful, argumentative spirits took over.

null55

Smash Master
Control your DI. It's much more effective to do retreating FAirs with the C-Stick and if you're gonna use the CS in situational times, you might as well use the C-Stick all the time since there's no real advantage to using the A button aside from getting the aerial out 2 frames faster (not because it does that, but because it takes me about two frames longer to get to the C-Stick than it does to get to the A button).
Then what do you use to jump? Wouldn't the L button work better than the Y or X button?

null55

Smash Master
You complained about having to move from the jump button to the c-stick. Not the case if you use L, just asking. I definitely wouldn't want to have to use L to jump, but if it was necessary I guess I would.

Anyway, it sounds difficult to move from the Y button to the c-stick. Couldn't it be possible to just tilt the joystick to avoid forward momentum when doing receding fairs?

EDIT: Wait, what about nair? You use the c-stick for nair!?

Sudai

Stuff here
I wasn't really complaining about the distance between jump and c-stick. XP

Jump with Y/X and I can flick the C-Stick with the side of my thumb in any direction I want.

As for NAir, you -can't- do it with the c-stick. lol. That's just one of the few you don't get much momentum with.

null55

Smash Master
I actually just tried this out. You can still do fairs with the joystick and A and get the same receding effect as just using the c-stick if you press the opposite direction immediately after fairing. It worked pretty easily.

Sudai

Stuff here
I actually just tried this out. You can still do fairs with the joystick and A and get the same receding effect as just using the c-stick if you press the opposite direction immediately after fairing. It worked pretty easily.
Yes, but it's still not as effective as full-DI retreating FAirs. No matter how fast you are, you still loose a few frames of backwards DI which can make the difference between being hit or not being hit. Also, I just find it a heck of a lot easier to use C-Stick for aerials. XP

noodles

Smash Champion
in melee i use to sometimes double jump while trying to shorthop ariel fastfall, cstick is definatly the best option for ariels

null55

Smash Master
Yes, but it's still not as effective as full-DI retreating FAirs. No matter how fast you are, you still loose a few frames of backwards DI which can make the difference between being hit or not being hit. Also, I just find it a heck of a lot easier to use C-Stick for aerials. XP
Hmm, yes. So it's the few frames of speed sacrificed for the few frames of backwards DI.
Bair is the same story. There is no way to avoid the short backwards jolt.

Haha, but honestly, I don't play with people who are good enough for this to be necessary.

I do find edge-guarding is a little easier if I use the c-stick, though. However, it's just very awkward to use at the moment, as I've never used the c-stick for aerials before. I'm probably just going to stick to the A-button, or at maybe switch between the two when it's more convenient to use the c-stick (like for bairs and edge-guarding).

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah. Really, it doesn't matter what you use in brawl. Just what ever's most comfortable to you. Hell, set the DPad to smashes/aerials and the CStick to taunts if you really want. lol

Timbers

check me out
Anyway, it sounds difficult to move from the Y button to the c-stick. Couldn't it be possible to just tilt the joystick to avoid forward momentum when doing receding fairs?
It's definitely not difficult. If you really want to practice with it, you'll probably start doing it out of habit after a very short while. Cstick gives you much more control over your aerials, instead of just flaunting them out there.

my family is using the TV, so i can practice at the moment. i forget how to do those turn around gyros in the air. is it downB and quickly rotate the control stick?
Diagonally down+the opposite direction, or yeah down and quickly rotate to your preferred direction.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OS and Inferno, there is a lot of miscommunication going on.

@OS
Inferno is saying that he observes things, reads things, and remembers things, and then reviews those in his head from time to time. He calculates new strategies at those times when he doesn't have a chance to play, and then he tests those strategies whenever he gets a chance. I know EXACTLY what he's saying, cause I work 5 days a week and I can only play dudes on the weekend, so I inadvertently visualize a lot of stuff too cause I'm bored all the time. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Mostly it doesn't, but it doesn't take much time to test it against good players.

@Inferno
OS is mainly speaking in generalities. He doesn't want someone who isn't coming from experience to read your statements and think that it's a substitute for practicing when they aren't good/mature enough for it to help.

I think that's about it.

toasty

Smash Hero
you can DI backward away from Marth out of the forwardB [note: this only works, to my knowledge, with the downB combo at the end, and you'll eat one or two hits, but not all of them]

also, whatever I said about having less trouble against MK? Yeah, that was a lie.

Maybe it's just because it's one of my teams partners and someone who frequently plays against me, so he knows my style really really well which severely limits my options relative to how limiting to his options my knowledge of his style is.

and yet...I always beat him in tourney? I don't know. It's never not-insanely-difficult.

I don't get what was said before [by PatPro I think, and then confirmed by OS]. "If you play it right, MK should never be able to approach you]. I don't get how that's possible considering the crazy difference in speed between MK and ROB. Are there cool nuggets of info like "btw _____ comes out faster than ___" or "_____ ***** ______". bair/dair/nair/fsmash never seem to be guaranteed ways of killing the tornado. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't [regardless of how dead-on or just-ranged-enough I am]
MKs tell me that tornado priority is relative to how quickly they're pressing B.
Is that true?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's not. The tornado's priority is weird though, ever changing. It goes up and down and up again, it's weird.

If Marth hits you with his over-b and does the rapid hit, smash DI up and towards him and you can get behind him and bair him.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Ive learned last Saturday that the Nair when its about to complete the full circle destroys the tornado when it hits from above this is situational but non the less works wonders when they are liek wtf and you win xD . The gyro (mid charged and above) kill the Tornado also it gets 19% and has killing ability when of the stage trying to recover with a tornado. The Laser is also a key weapon i always try to keep it low so it goes faster when they are aproaching with a tornado and it stops it completly. also if you can use Usmash around 100% it does wonders =D

toasty

Smash Hero
so is it a keep-away game the whole time? because, Nackers, all of those are great and I exploit them when I can, but require MK to be more than half the stage away from you. I guess I'll stick with getting better with my own method for beating him [precision/prediction]. I just need to make sure what I do is almost never a reaction because chances are, it'll already be too late and you'll be eating gay unnecessary damage.

Any attack coming from above the tornado breaks it.
last night I used a Dair and nailed the tornado on the top [the Dair's blast looks almost like it fills the tornado] and he just ***** right through it. would the dair have to reach all the way to the bottom of tornado? Either way it was plenty infuriating :(

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
full laser breaks the tornado, i think full gyro also does. iv seen a lotta robs breaking it with fsmash, but its tough to get the timing. im trying to get it down

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah weak lasers are definitely better for breaking the nado. Weak gyros get eaten though.

If I get sucked up, I try to DI out of the last hit, and depending on the platform arrangement you can usually get a free nair out of it, especially if they were up in the air a bit.

noodles

Smash Champion
for marths over b roll behind him, or away. i hate that move, if you block they can shield poke you, sidestep you get hit after its done

Top Bottom