• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Didn't know about the attacking during grab thing.

Lead in with a fully charged gyro. If he shields it and doesn't powershield, you can shield poke him with anything.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I'm not sure if you can start the attack after the pikmin has grabbed you but I know that if you have already started one, it won't be interrupted by the grab, but assisted as you are getting pulled in closer to Olimar ^_^ Fsmash is the way to go for me. wonder if usmash would work with that narrow ground hitbox @_@

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Caesar, I'll offer a little bit of advice, as I regularly play a *very* good Olimar player, and havent dropped a set to him.

What seems to work for me, is during whatever time that he isn't approaching you, camp his Pikmen, and not him. If you can consistently keep him with about 1/2 of his Pikmen, the fight is a *lot* easier. If he has a tendency to throw pikmen, a point blank laser will kill them before they latch, and f-tilts work well. If nothing else, this will keep him constantly pulling his Pikmen and not attacking. Granted, you'll probably take some damage while its happening, but if you keep it up long enough (demolishing 3-4 Pikmen barrages usually suffices) they'll change their strategy.

That being said, I make it a point not to engage Oli from above, at all. This includes a 45 degree angle, as it seems/feels/and have been told by the player that the U-smash (or is it F-smash? TBH, ive gotten the disc read error and have my wii @ Nintendo, so ive been trying to stay away from anything smash during that time- so I might have forgotten) has a weird hitbox that's present at the 45 degree angle.

Which leads us to your problem of approaching on the ground. OS offered a really good strat with the gyro lead in, but if for some reason you don't have a fully charged one handy (I rarely do), try the laser to gyro to laser. If he shields all three, then the shield should be worn down well enough for you to poke him with a d- or f-tilt.

If he has a habit of shieldgrabbing, approach via a SH, and B-air. If you time it correctly w/ your SH, if he still shields, you should wind up on the other side of him. If he shielded it, his shield should be practically gone, if he rolled backward- he is hit. If he grabbed, it whiffed. If he rolled forward, you should be able to catch him w/ the back end of the B-air.

If he somehow got hit by the aforementioned laser->gyro->laser, then there's your opportunity to molest him. I tend to try to go at him from below most of the time, as I always end up getting caught by a f-or b-air otherwise. As a side note, when attacking him from below- don't do it from directyle below, but rather starting at a 45 degree angle and working up into the directly below position w/ your U-air. Doing so will eliminate any straggling pikmen, and make gimping him (even more) easy.

Hope this helps, and feel free to critique any of that, as I'm sure there's more than a few weaknesses, Ive just been lucky enough to not have them exposed yet.

lord karn

Smash Master
I know the Olimar match up better than I know any other match up. I played with NC Echo all the time during the school year.

Moreso than most any other match, you can be really aggressive. One of Olimar's main weaknesses other than his recovery is his priority. While Olimar's attacks are disjointed, most of your attacks will completely go through his attacks with no clank. If you double fair approach from a diagonal, your fairs will go through anything Olimar can do. The only thing you really have to fear is a nair between your fairs. Also, while Olimar's grab is amazing, it is slightly slower than most normal grabs. Unless the guy I play is doing something wrong, if you time it right he shouldn't be able to shield grab you unless he powershields. You can fair to jab to something else. If fairing ends up getting you shield grabbed, you can retreat with the second fair far enough away so that he can't do much. You are safer this way but get less pressure.

I find it easy to keep the pressure on Olimar because he has very few things he can do to someone up in his face. If he does get you off of him use your projectiles immediately to throw him off and get back up close. Fair ***** pikmin.

Don't let Olimar get below you. Olimar has the best options above him, and ROB has very few things he can do to someone below him. Approach from diagonals in the air, and focus on getting him off the level. Fair is your friend.

While edgeguarding Olimar is pretty straightforward, I do have one thing to say on the subject. When Olimar is off and above the stage he is probably going to either whistle armor or dodge to make it back. Get up to him and follow him down with bairs. The momentum from bair will push you after him and you can catch him after the first air dodge. If he's whistle armoring (which is faster) you can rack up damage and punish when he has to do something else.

Playing aggressive against Olimar is a very high-stakes match. You can kill him really easily, but he can also kill you easily because he puts out so much damage (even moreso than normal because ROB is big). Don't look at the match as a battle of percentages, because Olimar will always beat ROB on damage output. Rather, just always look for an opening that will get Olimar off the edge and dead. You can kill Olimar at any percentage.

That being said, ROB can probably fight Olimar with a very campy playstyle effectively as well, but I've never found it necessary. I tend not to projectile camp unless it's just much better to do so, because I'm not that good at it and it's not as fun.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If he has a habit of shieldgrabbing, approach via a SH, and B-air. If you time it correctly w/ your SH, if he still shields, you should wind up on the other side of him. If he shielded it, his shield should be practically gone, if he rolled backward- he is hit. If he grabbed, it whiffed. If he rolled forward, you should be able to catch him w/ the back end of the B-air.
When I try this I get usmashed.

Karn, I usually follow up my fairs with a dsmash out of habit, and that always gets me shieldgrabbed. I'll try jab, hopefully it's faster.

Thanks for the help guys. This is a weird matchup.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I tend to grab against Olimar a looot to get him off the stage, which is why I prefer a small level like Smashville to have an easier time throwing him off. His smashes don't seem to make you slide away from him when shielding, so shield grabbing is a cinch.

Sudai

Stuff here
When I try this I get usmashed.

Karn, I usually follow up my fairs with a dsmash out of habit, and that always gets me shieldgrabbed. I'll try jab, hopefully it's faster.

Thanks for the help guys. This is a weird matchup.
Do Jab > DTilt so you still get the poking effect. I'ts kind of weird to time at first, but it's really easy to do after like...3 tries.

chckn

Smash Ace
if you're able to grab Olimar a lot [except with glide-toss grab...unless I'm a complete scrub], the guy you play against is doing something wrong.
Exactly what I was thinking, b/c of pikmin spam I have alot of trouble even geting inside on olimar in order to grab.

lord karn

Smash Master
Your fair should be able to go through all pikmin, including purples. You can usually get the pikmin off before they deal damage even if they do get latched.

noodles

Smash Champion
olimar can be the most annoying character to play against, if your having trouble approaching something i found useful is jumping to avoid smashes/grabs from below bair shield (most likely a shield will be up) that way if they DO have a shield up you'll reduce it and space yourself away from a most likely shield grab. ftilts are important imo comes out at a decent speed and has range. nairs to kill the pikmen thrown at you.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
DDD, sure, but Zelda is still my toughest opponent. I have an impossible time Fair pressuring and Dsmashing Zeldas.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Did you try BAir? I heard it spaces for you.

Also, Zelda can't sweetspot the edge. Kicks of the sexual nature help me out in this matchup.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Also, Zelda can't sweetspot the edge. Kicks of the sexual nature help me out in this matchup.
Lol, nice post.

But yeah, not in particular order..

Metaknight
G&W
DDD
Zelda

Those 4 (like everyone else's) is the most annoying for me ;_;

Overswarm

is laughing at you
His opponent is just cruddy. He's in the full standing animation after the grab; he has ample opportunity to shield.

That doesn't mean you couldn't pull this off though! A lot of people are busy mashing buttons and wouldn't expect it, so go ahead and try to pull it off.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
A few quick questions:

1.) Which comes out faster? Jab, f-tilt, d-tilt, or d-smash? In terms of frames, what is the order of speed for these moves?

2.) Besides using b-air's momentum to bring you closer to the stage without wasting "gas", what is the approriate way of recovering with ROB using his up+b? Is it tapping the b button in small bursts?

3.) What are ROB's weakest match-ups? Why? (Keep it brief.)

4.) What are some useful glide-toss techniques ROB can use with his gyro?

5.) How many seconds does it take to charge a fully powered laser (after using one)?

6.) Does holding down after a ROB neutral jab reduce the time it takes to executive another move (somewhat like Ike's jab)?

7.) Besides yourself, what other ROB's would you consider decent in regards to toury placement?

i dont have a tv so i cant answer these questions on my own. if i know the answer, i can just visualize new approaches/tactics and get better that way

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I can only speak confidently about glide tossing possibilities:
glide-toss-->any appropriate smash
glide-toss BEHIND oppenent->fsmash from behind
GT-->GRAAAAB ^_^
GT (upward) to effectively air-chase [like a Snake that's recovering high, make him think he's safe far away, bam, he's off the stage again and has to upB]
GT underneath someone on a platform-->usmash
GT-hitting with gyro-fsmash

it's also good if you want to cover a lot of ground really quickly [to help a teammate or to get to the edge as quickly as possible, or even to get out of a pressured situation]

EDIT:
oh yeah. upB.
DISTANCE:
for the best vertical recovery: upB-fair repeatedly [making sure you only tap upB each time and not hold it].
for the best horizontal I suppose upB-bair
for the FASTEST horizontal tap B repeatedly after the upB

FOR SAFETY:
Against chars with quick/long downard hitboxes
upB-uair [best anti-spike game I'm aware of]

other times: upB-nair

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A few quick questions:

1.) Which comes out faster? Jab, f-tilt, d-tilt, or d-smash? In terms of frames, what is the order of speed for these moves?
We don't have frame data, but as far as I know it is jab, d-tilt, d-smash, f-tilt.

2.) Besides using b-air's momentum to bring you closer to the stage without wasting "gas", what is the approriate way of recovering with ROB using his up+b? Is it tapping the b button in small bursts?
There's a specific rhythm. Tapping it really quickly doesn't work correctly. The best way to recover is to up+b, back-air, hold up while bairing to get a "boost", then repeat.

3.) What are ROB's weakest match-ups? Why? (Keep it brief.)
G&W because of turtle, easy KOs with smash attacks, and he can actually edgeguard ROB.

Metaknight because of MK's general speed. I consider this matchup even, but everyone else seems to have trouble with it.

Zelda because of the easy ability to KO horizontally or vertically with 3, count 'em, 3 aerials. That means one of them isn't going to be stale at all times.

Dedede can be trouble because of his chain grab if you aren't aggressive.

5.) How many seconds does it take to charge a fully powered laser (after using one)?
RAR READ THE THREAD RARRRRR!

20 seconds. But this was on like, the second page. >:\

6.) Does holding down after a ROB neutral jab reduce the time it takes to executive another move (somewhat like Ike's jab)?
If there is a jab cancel, it is universal.

7.) Besides yourself, what other ROB's would you consider decent in regards to toury placement?
They post here, you can figure it out. There was originally just me in the midwest, but KirkQ has started playing around here. He's good, but doesn't know most matchups and doesn't adapt as quickly as a result. Nacker, Chozen, Toasty, JCaesar all appeared on the East Coast and Shadow, HugS, and MaxxxPower appeared on the West Coast, and there are a bunch of other ROBs posting around here that certainly aren't bad. I know I've missed at least one.

Just check the video thread.

i dont have a tv so i cant answer these questions on my own. if i know the answer, i can just visualize new approaches/tactics and get better that way
No, you can't.

Omni

BRoomer
No, you can't.
That's how I get better and it has worked well thus far. There's a difference between understanding a character and their mechanics and understanding the human psyche. Since I'm strong in the 2nd area, using any character and being effective with them requires, imo, a large amount of visualization, preparation, and understanding of what their limits are. A good night or two of actual practicing confirms theory and the beginning of the mix-up process begins.

So, yes, I can.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's how I get better and it has worked well thus far. There's a difference between understanding a character and their mechanics and understanding the human psyche. Since I'm strong in the 2nd area, using any character and being effective with them requires, imo, a large amount of visualization, preparation, and understanding of what their limits are. A good night or two of actual practicing confirms theory and the beginning of the mix-up process begins.

So, yes, I can.
No, you can't.

People can watch videos, read articles, read posts, etc., etc. all day. If they don't have a TV in which to USE this knowledge, to test it and practice it, it helps them very little. Sure, he may have an easier time in a matchup if he recalls that 20 seconds is the time for a fully charged laser, but overall you won't improve visibly at all.

Omni

BRoomer
No, you can't.

People can watch videos, read articles, read posts, etc., etc. all day. If they don't have a TV in which to USE this knowledge, to test it and practice it, it helps them very little. Sure, he may have an easier time in a matchup if he recalls that 20 seconds is the time for a fully charged laser, but overall you won't improve visibly at all.
Right.

I mean, I'm obviously just suggesting that this works randomly. There's no way that I'm living testimony that my theory is true in my own regards.

I appreciate you answering my questions though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You aren't living testimony.

You don't sit at your computer and read up on how to play a character then pick them up for the first time and then win a tournament, let alone place top 8.

This guy doesn't even have a TV. He doesn't apply the knowledge. You can't read up on how to get good at Brawl any more than you can read up on how to get good at Basketball. You have to practice.

Top Bottom