• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Kibadude

Smash Rookie
whenever I try to play and go to the character select screen, and hover over any of the charecters, it gives me this error:

FATAL ERROR in Vertex Shader compilation ShaderName: shColorReplaceBlendExt

D3DXCompile failed - result

any idea what this means/how to fix it?

Last edited:

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Oh, and I'd just like to say, if people are doing streams with good players or have like good videos or something, they should post them here. This board basically went into radio silence after the game came out. I've also been checking the steam forums and Aetherboards pretty often but I'm not seeing much about these streams. You gotta post it or people can't see it!

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and I'd just like to say, if people are doing streams with good players or have like good videos or something, they should post them here. This board basically went into radio silence after the game came out. I've also been checking the steam forums and Aetherboards pretty often but I'm not seeing much about these streams. You gotta post it or people can't see it!
Hey I bet you'll like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/RivalsOfAether/comments/3mik7v/pretty_sneaky_fors/

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I've actually done this exact sequence once. It's really great if it all works out, but it's tricky because you don't have full control over how the clone chooses to recover. Alternatively, sometimes the clone will hit get onstage safely and then you can just hit B to make it hit the person, then you can get back onstage that way.

In other news, I was watching the stream archive where I played against that guy and I already picked up a few more things I could be doing in that matchup, in particular I fiddled around with Forsburn's recovery and there's a number of stages where you can actually start putting out the smoke the moment you walljump, then recover into it, even from quite low on the stage. It depends on the location of the wall relative to the lower blastzone, though, which is not the same on every map. Also, the next time he attempts that slingshot -> watcher's dive thing, I'm just going to mash upair. If it's a true combo, whatever, I'm getting hit anyway, but if it's not, he might die for attempting it.

Also, I found out why my teleport sometimes seems to go in the wrong direction - It's because the direction of Forsburn's teleport is only chosen on the frame in which he reappears. This is different from smash, where it's chosen on the frame in which you disappear. I find this extremely nonintuitive and it makes it harder to act after the teleport, but at least I know what's happening now.

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Even if there are some Zetterburn players who don't spam side b and smash attacks, his on fire smash attacks still need to be nerfed. Almost every time I fight Zetterburn online it's: Immediately side b, down b, spam dash attack, side smash, dead.
Then uhhh... don't get hit by that sequence?

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I think it's pretty fair. Every character has explosive kill potential in this game and every one can get brutal kills off of simple mistakes. Depending on your DI and the situation it probably isn't a 'true combo' either in most situations.

Eh'

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So ok, Beetle is not a viable character, lol

Too big, too slow, rocks are easily parriable, character has literally nothing aside from a good dsmash and long distance recovery (not necessarily good).

RIP beetle, you will be missed

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
I've reported you because your post has no substance. If you're going to disagree, at least have a reason.
He didn't need one, given your reasoning was rubbish. And you didn't even acknowledge his boulder's gimping potential or the fact that he has the best parry game around because of his strong punishes.

Ps. Using a post only to tell someone you reported them is hardly what I call substance. Don't be a hypocrite.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I told him to give a reason, that's substance enough.

Regardless, friendly and intelligent community we seem to have here. :secretkpop:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Kragg is definitely viable, his pillar and stone make offstage a pretty safe spot for Kragg when edgeguarding.

He's slow but he has quick moves that start into combos, his down B covers tech options and is a good check to reckless approaches.

Last edited:

Finnfighter

Smash Rookie
I think it's pretty fair. Every character has explosive kill potential in this game and every one can get brutal kills off of simple mistakes. Depending on your DI and the situation it probably isn't a 'true combo' either in most situations.

Eh'
All I really want is for dash attack to angle up and for his strong attacks to not kills me at 30% by the ledge. Seems like a decent request.

Finnfighter

Smash Rookie
I think everyone is viable right now. I main Orcane, who no one seems to talk about. In a game with 8 characters that's made to be competitive, why would they include anyone who's not viable?
You think Orcane isn't talked about? Try maining maypul.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Then uhhh... don't get hit by that sequence?
I think part of the issue is that Zetter's side strong is stupid safe. There's a lot of attacks in this game that you can spam pretty freely since they have very low endlag and there's no shield grab. If you could simply block Zetter's mindless smash attacks and toss him off the stage for it, he would not be nearly as ridiculous. Parry simply doesn't take the place of shield grab because it's not reliable enough.

I feel like Forsburn might be the worst character simply because he's an honest character in a pretty dishonest game. Most characters have some kill options they can throw out pretty liberally and just hope they eventually hit, but he has to use finesse to kill you. Orcane also has this problem to some extent.

Last edited:

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
I think part of the issue is that Zetter's side strong is stupid safe. There's a lot of attacks in this game that you can spam pretty freely since they have very low endlag and there's no shield grab. If you could simply block Zetter's mindless smash attacks and toss him off the stage for it, he would not be nearly as ridiculous. Parry simply doesn't take the place of shield grab because it's not reliable enough.

I feel like Forsburn might be the worst character simply because he's an honest character in a pretty dishonest game. Most characters have some kill options they can throw out pretty liberally and just hope they eventually hit, but he has to use finesse to kill you. Orcane also has this problem to some extent.
Exactly. Sometimes I forget it's even a smash attack because it's just as fast as using a dash attack for Zetterburn.

Finnfighter

Smash Rookie

I can agree with your forsburn statement completely. It would have been a lot better if they lowered his damage but made his double permenent. Also have smoke not be as fragile as china. Replacing his side- special with some fire bull charge that can get his horizantal distance. But sadly they wont change him this much and he'll be stuck in trash tier hell. As for orcane I find him still a very viable competetor.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Nah. Forsburn needs two main things to be viable.

- Jab combo is not escapable at any percent.
- Forward Strong is not escapable at high percents.

I believe a grounded opponent can tech both jab and forward strong at any percent, basically leaving him with no reliable kill options (well, except fully charged down B) in a game where most people can just spam forward or down strong as much as they want. I've certainly had people escape both at 140%+, and that's even with forward strong being partially charged.

Beyond this, I honestly feel like parry needs 1-2 more active frames. As it stands, it's simply too inconsistent to be used like a shield. There's all kinds of times where I know exactly what the opponent is going to do and I press the parry, but I'm like 1 frame too early (it's a 1/6th second window), causing me to get hit, which in turn skews the risk / reward of throwing out mindless attacks. I think a lot of the game was balanced back when parry had much better frame data, and it kinda shows.

Oh, and please fix the Forsburn teleport input. There is absolutely no reason to have it read the direction on the frame he reappears. I have killed myself so many damn times with this move because I expect the direction to be selected the moment he vanishes (as is the case with every Smash game that has a move that works like this). It's especially bad when you get a minor lag spike during the teleport.

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice

I don't undersdtand this at all. Offline Zburn fsmash is SUPER laggy and punishable. Spamming fmash gets zburn wrecked most of the time.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Nah. Forsburn needs two main things to be viable.

- Jab combo is not escapable at any percent.
- Forward Strong is not escapable at high percents.

I believe a grounded opponent can tech both jab and forward strong at any percent, basically leaving him with no reliable kill options (well, except fully charged down B) in a game where most people can just spam forward or down strong as much as they want. I've certainly had people escape both at 140%+, and that's even with forward strong being partially charged.
I don't think any jab combo should be techable actually. It doesn't put you in knockdown stun so there is no reason to be allowed to tech.

Beyond this, I honestly feel like parry needs 1-2 more active frames. As it stands, it's simply too inconsistent to be used like a shield. There's all kinds of times where I know exactly what the opponent is going to do and I press the parry, but I'm like 1 frame too early (it's a 1/6th second window), causing me to get hit, which in turn skews the risk / reward of throwing out mindless attacks. I think a lot of the game was balanced back when parry had much better frame data, and it kinda shows.
I completely disagree. The parry window is plenty big, I believe almost too big for what it does. Does anyone know how many frames? Feels like maybe 4? Seems like the parry window made as big as it is to be rather easy to pull off with practice to make up for the lack of shields but not really hard enough to require much practice or make people commit to it like in melee

If you are going to increase the parry window then parry's can not immobilize the attacker. Having parries easier than they are now plus the immobilizing effect is too much. At that point you might as well just have shields in the game

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
If fburn's jab and fstrong were inescapable he would edgeguard everyone super for free. They both still force your opponent to dodge/tech, which fburn punishes really hard. Not to mention jab->dtilt and jab->dsmash being pretty damn hard to escape at the right percents. Fburn is neither 'the most honest' nor the worst character, by any means. Zburn's fstrong is super, super, super punishable - jump over it, dodge over or through it, roll behind it, and kill him however you want. A quick test shows that it has 30 FRAMES of endlag after the strong hit goes away.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If fburn's jab and fstrong were inescapable he would edgeguard everyone super for free.
You mean like Maypul does?

Actually, it already works pretty well for edgeguarding as it is, as if done off the edge you can't tech. What it doesn't work well for is getting kills onstage. Also, Jab off the ledge would not get all 3 hits (the third whiffs due to the knockback), so it really should be guaranteed.

Zburn's fstrong is super, super, super punishable - jump over it, dodge over or through it, roll behind it, and kill him however you want. A quick test shows that it has 30 FRAMES of endlag after the strong hit goes away.
It looks like it is slightly more punishable than I thought. Part of this is probably because the second hitbox comes out deceptively early. Granted, due to the ridiculous reward on hit you usually don't want to be in the same area code as Zetter when he uses this move, but I suppose if you are you can probably punish with stuff.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Lol maypul can't see that her fstrong whiffed from a real recovery mixup and decide not to do the laggy part of it.
That might be a concern if it couldn't cover all recovery options from like 5 of the 6 characters.

Also, speaking of maypul, just rolled behind a Zetter FSmash on reaction and did FSmash. Is not fast enough to punish, he had time to roll.

Either rolls have absurdly awful frame data in this game (pretty likely) or Maypul FSmash startup is like 20 frames.

Anyway, Zetter is just such a scumbag character. He can do nothing the entire match, land one lucky hit, and win off of it. Does anyone actually seriously play this character and feel good about it? I was playing some matches of random select, and I can barely even do that because I feel like such a sleazeball even when random hands me Zetter. Almost everyone drops after one match against Zetter, too. I'm like "It's not my fault", but at the same time I can't blame them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom