• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Kiba113

Smash Rookie
I have problems to dash. I installed my GCC but it does not work. Any tips on how to solve this problem?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, Kragg's pillar needs to be fixed. The knockback would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that if someone gets hit by the pillar, they can hit Kragg afterwards for free. That's complete bull****.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Seriously, Kragg's pillar needs to be fixed. The knockback would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that if someone gets hit by the pillar, they can hit Kragg afterwards for free. That's complete bull****.
That's to remove the ability of kragg to upB someone and get a free hit off them. Being that close to the ceiling and getting a free utilt, fair, uair, nair, etc is way more bull****

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
That's to remove the ability of kragg to upB someone and get a free hit off them. Being that close to the ceiling and getting a free utilt, fair, uair, nair, etc is way more bull****
Pretty sure it was never free unless the opponent got caught without a dodge.

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
forcing a 50/50 with your opponents dodge for something that's 0 commit for you when you should be in a bad position (above them) regardless of their percent is still dumb

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
talking about pre-EA as a playtester
Well, I was talking about 0.0.4, before the latest change to Pillar hitstun. My main training partner plays Kragg, and I found I could virtually always airdodge away unless maybe if I was in the absolute dead center of the pillar, in which case forward light might catch you.

I feel that Kragg's pillar should likely work like Mewtwo's confusion (in Smash 4). He doesn't get any guaranteed followups, but he's at frame advantage on hit so if he reads your defensive option he can get a follow-up.

I've also stated elsewhere that I would like it to be the case that if you parry the pillar, it lifts you up to where Kragg is (with him being stunned obviously). That would be enough incentive not to spam it.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Double post, but a new beta patch has been made available:

http://aetherboards.com/forums/threads/802

Some very substantial changes in here. Some specific comments:

Reliable Capes: The Cape hits of Forsburn’s Up Strong and Forward Strong can no longer be teched and the base hitstun has been increased so opponents cannot air dodge out.

Teleport Control: Forsburn teleport now takes your input when you disappear instead of right before you re-appear.
Thank you thank you thank you. No more random teleport SDs!

Also, Forsburn's kill potential just got way better now that you can't just randomly tech out of his kill moves. You're definitely going to have to be afraid of him now.

Smoke Stalling: Forsburn can no longer Smoke Stall indefinitely. He can now teleport into two clouds before touching the ground. When attempting to teleport into the third, it will be destroyed as Forsburn reappears.

Clone Max: The clone can now perform 10 attacks before it bursts on its own.

Clone Deception: Getting a third smoke charge will burst your clone as you are giving up deception for your powerful combustion technique.
All of these seem reasonable. I was going to recommend the smoke stall one anyway, as it seems like there might be some maps where this could be used for infinite stalling.

Plant Camping: Maypul’s Fat Plant now goes away after 15 seconds and can no longer be fed or extended by taunting.
Not quite how I would have handled this (15 seconds is a fairly long time to stall down a match, probably better to allow the players to bust it in some way instead), but it needed some kind of fix.

Maypul’s Neutral Air Startup Decreased from 8 frames to 6 frames.
This definitely seems a bit questionable, that move is already stupid good.

Maypul’s Up Tilt hitboxes adjusted to match the visuals.
Kupo will be happy about this at least.

During any three consecutive online matches, you can no longer get the same random stage.
Seems like a nice change, though probably won't occur that often in practice.

Letting go of both left and right when performing a jump or double jump will cut your horizontal speed in half allowing for different follow-ups when jumping out of dash.

You can no longer immediately air dodge when exiting a hitstun state to halt your momentum. Your character must return to a slow air speed before you can air dodge again.
These two are both interesting. The first one might make dashing Nairs a little weaker, or at least harder to do. The second one is intriguing, but I'll have to try it out to know what effect it's going to have.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Bind probably got more time to kind of make up for the plant nerf. It's not really that huge, it'll just allow you to get the double smash attack at slightly lower percents.

Nair change definitely seems kinda questionable.

Just played some matches in the new Beta. I have to say, Forsburn feels way better. You don't know how much of an improvement that change to the up Special input is, and it's so nice to finally have Forward Strong work properly on grounded opponents. It definitely helps his footsies a lot.

Also, I feel like the game just feels better overall, possibly as a result of those nebulous momentum changes. Haven't fought any good Maypul players yet, though, so I may still rage when that happens.

Last edited:

Zacklol

Smash Rookie
So, I'd some fun with Zetterburn sprites, I really love Zetterburn and when I first saw him I could only think about Leomon so I've made some Leomon and Dark Leomon recolors. Hope you like them, the bigger ones are a bit sloppy but I really like the little ones.

Battle Sprites:

Portrait Sprite:

[\spoiler]

skippydog

Smash Rookie
ATTENTION ALL MAC (and possibly Linux) USERS. I HAVE THE GAME WORKING ON MY MAC IN WINE.

Oh Goodness Gravy, I got it working! To all the mac users out there, the web installer won't work... but the redistributable will.

Follow the instructions on this site. I know it says Linux, but it worked fine for me. You can skip the steps "Setup Core Files", and "Setup Additional Files".

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html

Here is a link to the Redistributable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109
how did you edit the registry editor, geddit is only for linux, thanks in advance i'm really stuck and it's only the first step

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
how did you edit the registry editor, geddit is only for linux, thanks in advance i'm really stuck and it's only the first step
Open your wineskin while holding option. Click 'Advanced'. The advanced stuff window will pop up. Click on the 'Tools' tab. Regedit is on the left of that menu.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
What do people think about the amount of invincibility on parry?
I assume you mean the length of time you remain invincible after a parry?

It's sometimes a bit silly, like when you parry a projectile and you're invincible for like a second afterwards. Should maybe scale in some way based on the move that gets parried.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I assume you mean the length of time you remain invincible after a parry?

It's sometimes a bit silly, like when you parry a projectile and you're invincible for like a second afterwards. Should maybe scale in some way based on the move that gets parried.
This is also my opinion. I find it prevents counterplay to an extent.

-Omega

Smash Rookie
id dev mode here to stay or it will just be available during the early access? i mean, it's a really cool feature and ill probably miss it if they took it away
btw, yeah, why replace the halloween pallete instead of keeping both? those colors were way coller than the Xmash ones.

Alfuh

Smash Rookie
For anyone interested in Rivals Of Aether videos, here is something I recently threw together.

Footage is from Losers Semi's of Get Good. This is more for entertainment than anything, and is not meant to be any display of technical skill.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
So I finally got around to playing a bunch of matches with Absa. She is a very interesting character, but also really hard to get used to. She basically plays like a Smash 4 character in a Melee-like game, which was confusing the heck out of my brain for a while.

Although she can go in to a small degree, I feel like Absa's main gameplan is to keep people away. I've had good success using side special into down special to control space, then using forward strong to blast people when they try to get past it. You can also toss out another cloud just before the countdown expires, which is really useful. The lightning bolt can be good but I feel it's riskier than her other options and is generally most useful to set up once you knock them offstage or otherwise have advantage.

I am slightly concerned about her vulnerability to parries, though. It feels like almost all of her moves have a pretty obvious wind-up, and parrying them stuns her for a while. I feel like a very defensive opponent could just basically wait for her and parry, because she lacks the solid normals to mix up her offense that the other characters have. In particular, I don't think parrying her side B should stun her, no one else gets stunned when their basic projectile gets parried. Destroying the cloud might be a reasonable reward for parrying this move, but to be honest I think the one second or so of free invincibility is likely reward enough, considering how low risk it is to attempt to parry the cloud.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I have a quick question about setting up controllers for RoA. I have Rivals of Aether running on my macbook pro using Wine and I can't seem to find a good tutorial for getting the Mayflash 4 port GC Adapter to work. I'm probably the only one here that's playing RoA on a mac but does anyone here know ho I could get this working? I'm so close to playing the game but I refuse to play with keyboard controls.:wario:

fantom1021

Smash Rookie
I know that the increased-height pillar by stage is a thing. But I'm pretty sure this was intentionally put into the game because Kragg's jumps are so short that he wouldn't be able to get back,even with his second jump. Or if he can make it back, he should be able to make it back with only one jump (and airdodge) rather than double jumping and potentially airdodging.

The only characters I can see that would have a problem with this type of edgeguard is maple and zetterburn. I believe they still might be able to beat this by ZB: up special into your pillar, breaking through it, walljumping, and up special again. Maple: if the height is high enough, seed Kragg, up special to Kragg, airdodge onto stage. Of the two, Maple is the one this edgeguard would be practically unbeatable. However this method of edgeguarding seems like it would take a while to setup (after knocking them off, but before they get back).
from what i've tested if u side B as maple towards kraggs up B pillar depending on spacing, you can break through it and still wall jump off the stage into air dodge upB. And if the spacing is to where the pillar is too far off the stage for maple to reach the stage, he could just neutral b the pillar and it goes away in one hit anyway

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
just snagged this for 12 bucks from the Steam Sale after hearing some feedback on it from a Jwitz video.

gonna check it out now, but from what I see these characters are pretty danged neat.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
just got this game, and loving it!

do you guys know if the creators keep their eyes on the community and listen to peoples ideas? I know they likely dont take requests, but are they at all involved with the community the way the PMDT was?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
just got this game, and loving it!

do you guys know if the creators keep their eyes on the community and listen to peoples ideas? I know they likely dont take requests, but are they at all involved with the community the way the PMDT was?
usually yeah, though it's on the Aetherboards and the RoA Reddit moreso then here.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Dunno if this is the right place to ask but when I try to load training mode or online mode it always comes up with this:

D3DXCompile failed - result

############################################################################################
How could I resolve this?

Top Bottom