• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawriel

Smash Master
By the way, for the sake of smart-assing, Ridley's theme was also used during instances other than battles with Ridley.

I just watched a video by CrappyCaptureDevice about Brinstar and noticed that the music plays during a battle with a Chozo Statue.

Watch if you're interested, the man makes spiffy videos in general.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UQaXUjcYkXc

End smartassing, resume fanboying!

majora 787 said:
First SSBB, and later, THE WORLD!!!!!
Ridley for President?

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Fawriel said:
Ridley for President?
I'd vote for him, but I dunno, given the amount of naysayers that seem to be around, getting enough votes for a legit election might be difficult.

Therefore, I think Ridley for World Dictator would be both more practical and more fitting ;).

Vali

Smash Ace
If Ridley decided to come to Earth, then it would be impossible to stop him from taking over. Unless we gave him the position before he took over.
Ridley evidently isn't nuke proof, otherwise how the hell would you defeat him in Metroid?

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Ridley evidently isn't nuke proof, otherwise how the hell would you defeat him in Metroid?
Well, Nukes are kind of slow, and Ridley could just attack from the air. Besides, Ridley leads Space Pirates with ships upon ships, those could easily take out nuclear devices before they were launched.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
By the way, for the sake of smart-assing, Ridley's theme was also used during instances other than battles with Ridley.

I just watched a video by CrappyCaptureDevice about Brinstar and noticed that the music plays during a battle with a Chozo Statue.

Ridley for President?
i love crappycapturedevice. i've seen almost all his videos. can't wait until he does the brawl stuff.

yeah i'd vote for ridley. he's that awesome

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman

Wow! I'll never look at that stage the same way again. I'll have to check out the other videos when I have time...

Out of curiosity, I poked around on Youtube and found that a second Chozo statue fight (they're technically called "Torizos", in case you're curious) and a battle against some underwater boss also both use the Ridley music. Nobody else in the entire Metroid series does. Sometimes the beat in the background is somewhat reminiscent of it though, which might be why I thought it was more prevalent...but as I said, the fact that it's used for more than just Ridley only makes Sakurai's comments that much more striking.

And now it's my turn for smartassing! Technically, "sentient" only means "self-aware". A dog is probably sentient. Heck, ants might be sentient for all we know. There's no way to tell. "Sapient" means that something is truly intelligent. I don't know what the exact qualifications are, but it's a step above sentient.

Typically, though, in contexts when people use the word "sentient", sapience is implied, so it's easy to get confused. Sapient is the more accurate term though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
yuh, what's hilarious is when people come and flame him (not here, yet) and call him a mindless monster. you can't be mindless AND sapient, it's like being on fire AND under water at the same time.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Well, in their defense, I don't think there's anything within the actual gameplay that shows Ridley as anything other than a monster who is trying to kill you. In fact, unless one of the older manuals mentions him as a high-ranking official of the Space Pirates (and one of them probably does mention him, I've just never had the actual manuals), the only canonical place I can think of where you see him being intelligent is the manga. And maybe a log or two in Prime...I can't remember.

Now that I think of it, how much official info IS there on Ridley, anyway? Or the Space Pirate hierarchy in general, for that matter. Most of what I know is based on assumptions gleamed from here and there.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I scan the heck out of everything too, I just haven't played the first one in a while. I'll go check out the logbook later...

EDIT: I went back and looked, and there's actually very little on Ridley recorded into the permanent logs. He may very well have come up in some of the non-recorded consoles, though. I should probably re-play that game after I finish with hard-mode Echoes...

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
I was never a scan freak... and I never got to ridley anyway in prime

By the way, this is pretty close to the bottom. Way to close for comfort.

EDIT: We are now second place in posts! We're beating the Krystal Thread by 14 posts!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
this thread will overtake and place first. so many people post here frequently that it's inevitable.

yeah i do remember ridley's data in prime. mostly it just said they suited him up in cool new metal armor

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Well, 119 posts left till first place I guess.

I still think the space pirate raid could be worked in... If space pirates were ATs, then the ATs would swarm the place and Ridley could thrash on people in the confusion

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
^ Why not make it a competition when we're going to win! :)

Ridley for Brawl!

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Now, Ridley would be an interesting character to add to Brawl, but how the hell would he play? He's a fairly big dragon-like creature...it'd almost be like playing one of the Hands in a way in terms of size....

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Now, Ridley would be an interesting character to add to Brawl, but how the hell would he play? He's a fairly big dragon-like creature...it'd almost be like playing one of the Hands in a way in terms of size....
Well, assuming they make him that big. I'd guess he'd instead be somewhere in bowsers range, which is more realistic for gameplay and still plenty large.

As for play-style, Ridley can be fast, strong, heavy, and have multiple jumps.... Except that he can't be all of that without becoming a broken character. I mean, all that plus multiple jumps is cheaper than anything in melee.
So the real question is what will his weakness be? What fatal flaw will balance out the awesomeness that is Ridley? Personaly, I think the size might do it. He might be just too big to avoid getting hit the way a more agile character would.... maybe make him easy to send flying too. Samus is heavy, but still easy to send flying, and that seems to balance her out pretty well. Maybe Ridley can get in on some of that as well.

Fawriel

Smash Master
For characters like Ridley, I always have these weaknesses in mind:

-Long start-up for dashing or jump
-No combos

Ridley is quite long-ish, so the shield can't possibly cover a lot of his body. Another weakness.
And finally, having no really fast neutral or down aerial would make it hard for him to escape combos.

All these combined would severely cripple Ridley's game. Also, hey, it's not like we didn't already have a character who's heavy-weight, super fast and very strong, combined with a really long recovery.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say give Ridley the Mewtwo-affect, big and bulky but a little too light to make up for his size. Ridley is really skinny, almost anorexia- skinny actually... So I can't really picture him being much heavier than Samus. And yeah, give him some lag here and there and he's good to go.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think that'd work. He'd be big, strong, and with a good recovery... but would be sent flying much easier than it would seem, and most of his strong attacks would have a bit of lag that would make him a very technical, hit-or-miss character.

I just pray they don't give him the full Mewtwo effect, which has been proven to transform a cool uber-powerful critter into a sucky low-tier not even casuals like me will play due to sheer vulnerability. That would be frustrating to no end.

Fawriel

Smash Master
On the other hand, you have to realize Mewtwo simply doesn't possess enough power to compensate for the Mewtwo-Effect. He lacks any good KO-options. And priority.

Think of Ridley more like Donkey Kong, with much less weight ( though I can't imagine Ridley being any lighter than Link ), less speed in some areas, but with the added bonuses of unpredictability and a better recovery.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
On the other hand, you have to realize Mewtwo simply doesn't possess enough power to compensate for the Mewtwo-Effect. He lacks any good KO-options. And priority.

Think of Ridley more like Donkey Kong, with much less weight ( though I can't imagine Ridley being any lighter than Link ), less speed in some areas, but with the added bonuses of unpredictability and a better recovery.
QFT

also he will probably have a little longer range and some projectiles

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
^^If he's long range, has projectiles, can fly, has great running speed, and a decent kill move, I'd main him in a heartbeat.

And I agree with Fawriel, those weaknesses would keep from being top tier, and would keep him a balanced character. I'd say around 8th or 9th on the tier list.

MauFonseca

Smash Rookie
I realy want to see Ridley in. The only problem I see is that they would have to limit his flying ability, which would be sence-less.

f4lc0_m0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
an idea for his jumps could be
while he is on land he does
a normal jump but while in the
air maybe flap his wings and
slowly fly up like kirby and jiggs

Sandy

Smash Champion
Actually, for some referrence, in the Melee opening and many of the Metroid games, Ridley is featured as not that much taller than Samus. Sure, his full height would be pretty tall, but most of his time is crouching or huunched up. The only problem would be MetaRidley, cause he appeared much bigger in MP. I'd rather have him in than Bowser, who is no where as evil as Ridley in my opioion. And if they do put him in, I hope he is playable and not just a boss.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I realy want to see Ridley in. The only problem I see is that they would have to limit his flying ability, which would be sence-less.
Yeah, it's good thing Kirby, Meta-Knight, and Pit aren't in the game. They would have to limit their flight time.

OH WAIT!

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I know fireballs are pretty much a Ridley standard so far as his game appearances are concerned. But I'd still like to see him with some Lazer something-or-other. Lazers are just too cool, and we don't have nearly enough of them in smash bros.

Perhaps Ridley could have both. On the ground his breath weapon is Lazer-like, in the air it becomes multiple slower-yet-heat-seeking firballs. Or maybe it's a charge up move. A fireball at lower levels becomes a lazer when fully-charged.
Either way works fine, I just don't think we should give up on lazers so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom