• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I absolutely do not want to see Ridley become an AT trophy.
Like think about that for a minute.
Think aboutRidley's awesomeness in all it's forms. From the 32 bit era - to the graphically awesome sex god that he is now. To have all that compressed in a form where we pick up a dome, throw it, and hope the lord of awesomeness come out. Just to do some lack luster attack that we will have to settle with, because he can't be controlled as a playable character.
I Say Neigh.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Also why would they put ridleys theme if he were an AT? I doubt were gettin samurais goroh theme (if he has one) any time soon...

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's much chance of Ridley winding up as an Assist Trophy. I don't doubt that Sakurai had Ridley in mind from the start of development. What I am a little worried about, though, is the slight chance that the Impact Crater stage will be confirmed...with Ridley in the background as a stage hazard.

I still say that Ridley as a playable character is practically guaranteed, though.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
No, I meant the outside part, with the Chozo statues and stuff. Where you actually fight Meta-Ridley. (That area was called the Impact Crater too, wasn't it...?)

Joseph1594

Smash Rookie
Ridley probably will be in Smash Brawl, but it is questionable if he will be playable of an AT. I hope he is playable, because him being an AT would be a kick in the face.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I was reading smashbros.com when I noticed a few things:

smashbros.com said:
Here on Smash Bros. Dojo, we will share that music with you through occasional trial listening.
This means the Ridley Boss Battle Theme heard on the website was just a trial version, meaning it is not the whole song. So, that rules out the possibility that this is used as Ridley's victory music, for it is far too long.

smashbros.com said:
We've asked our group of arrangement supervisors to listen to an elite selection of Nintendo music and asked them to arrange several of their favorite songs...
This could mean that some of the scores used weren't intended to be used for a specific purpose, but were just chosen by an arrangement supervisor because it was one of their favorite songs. So, the Ridley theme might not have been used specifically for Ridley, but was fancied by a composer and later applied to a stage, boss battle, etc.

smashbros.com said:
In the original game, most of the places where you heard this song were the sites of fierce battles.
smashbros.com said:
As such, this arrangement features a suitable sense of cruelty and tension.
I think Sakurai is implying that this music is used for a stage. Ridley could easily be made into a stage hazard on a Metroid level. Maybe Ridley isn't semi-confirmed after all....

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
The music never really had that much to do with Ridley as a character. SSB characters don't HAVE individual themes, aside from the short little victory arrangements. Characters belong to a franchise, and that franchise gets stages, and the stages have music. That's how it's always been. And it's not even one stage per character! Lots of characters have had to share their "home stages" with others, or had to just be placed in a somewhat random spot. The song itself was always "Metroid music" moreso than "Ridley music". We just kinda pounced on the music because we're all starved for info.

Plus, it was more about Sakurai's comments on the song than it was about the presence of the song itself. He made a point of mentioning Ridley being Samus's arch-nemesis, and even put Ridley's name in parentheses in the title of the update when it really wasn't entirely necessary.

Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I played the old Metroid games...has that song ever been used for bosses OTHER than Ridley? If so, then the fact that Sakurai chose to attribute it to Ridley in particular is just more of an indication that he wants to give him a special focus.

Anyway, regardless of where the music goes, Ridley's presence as a character is as likely as it ever was. Sakurai is on the record as wanting more Metroid characters, and Metroid doesn't really HAVE any characters other than Samus. Beyond her, Ridley is pretty much the only recurring individual (aside from maybe Dark Samus...and do you really think that Sakurai is going to put three Samuses in the roster to the exclusion of anyone else?).

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
...Um, was that directed at me, or was that a continuation of what I was saying?

And no, the music was never used for anything other then the encounters with Ridley. He did have to put Ridley's name in parenthesis, as that is the title of the song. Find a website with the music, and the song will be titled "Ridley Boss Battle Theme" or "(Ridley) Boss Battle Theme".

majora_787

Smash Hero
MAKE him? oh, this is my favorite part. *grabs chainsaw, shotgun, tank, missilles and rabid dogs* funn. ^ ^

Caael

Smash Lord
The music never really had that much to do with Ridley as a character. SSB characters don't HAVE individual themes, aside from the short little victory arrangements. Characters belong to a franchise, and that franchise gets stages, and the stages have music. That's how it's always been. And it's not even one stage per character! Lots of characters have had to share their "home stages" with others, or had to just be placed in a somewhat random spot. The song itself was always "Metroid music" moreso than "Ridley music". We just kinda pounced on the music because we're all starved for info.

Plus, it was more about Sakurai's comments on the song than it was about the presence of the song itself. He made a point of mentioning Ridley being Samus's arch-nemesis, and even put Ridley's name in parentheses in the title of the update when it really wasn't entirely necessary.

Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I played the old Metroid games...has that song ever been used for bosses OTHER than Ridley? If so, then the fact that Sakurai chose to attribute it to Ridley in particular is just more of an indication that he wants to give him a special focus.

Anyway, regardless of where the music goes, Ridley's presence as a character is as likely as it ever was. Sakurai is on the record as wanting more Metroid characters, and Metroid doesn't really HAVE any characters other than Samus. Beyond her, Ridley is pretty much the only recurring individual (aside from maybe Dark Samus...and do you really think that Sakurai is going to put three Samuses in the roster to the exclusion of anyone else?).
You are my new favourite member. Sorry Lee.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This is how I ever thought of Ridley as a playable character in the first place. I always though Metroid should have more charcter, but then the next question is...well, who? There really aren't a whole lot of characters in it. But, the one guy who has been in nearly every Metroid game and is a villain to boot is Ridley. I've always had that mindset of it. The fact that Sakurai said he wanted more Metroid characters, in my mind, places no doubt that he will be in AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER. woot

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I though what we had was special Caael.....

If I can't have you, then no one can... *revs chainsaw* Lol...

Anyway, I can't see any other Metroid character being in the game other than Ridley. Unless Sakurai goes the Prime route and throws Dark Samus in there. In that case, I'd have to commit 1st degree murder.

Shuma

Smash Hero
D. Samus would get in Brawl AFTER ridley, there's no other way for that monster to get in.

Caael

Smash Lord
I though what we had was special Caael.....

If I can't have you, then no one can... *revs chainsaw* Lol...

Anyway, I can't see any other Metroid character being in the game other than Ridley. Unless Sakurai goes the Prime route and throws Dark Samus in there. In that case, I'd have to commit 1st degree murder.
Is that like burns then? 3rd degree burn?

Dont worry, you two are tieing now. :p

I never really got around to making that Brawl screenie. I might give Riddles an item to show the scale.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Is that like burns then? 3rd degree burn?

Dont worry, you two are tieing now. :p
No, in America, there are three different degrees of murder. 1st degree murder is basically walking up to someone and stabbing them in the throat, in this case, Sakurai. I think the second is having accompanied someone in murder, I'm not sure. Anyway, you get what I mean. :chuckle:

Burns have different degrees based on their level of severity.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Naw, it goes like this. First degree murder is premeditated (as in you planned it and knew what you were doing), second degree murder is when you kill someone in a sudden fit of anger, and third degree is manslaughter, when it's a complete accident. I think.

A flight to Japan gives you an awful lot of time to think though, so first degree it is.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Naw, it goes like this. First degree murder is premeditated (as in you planned it and knew what you were doing), second degree murder is when you kill someone in a sudden fit of anger, and third degree is manslaughter, when it's a complete accident. I think.

A flight to Japan gives you an awful lot of time to think though, so first degree it is.
The noob knows more than the people who've been here longer...lol

(Sorry to call you a noob, but that is what your smash status says...)

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Thanks for clarifying. I'm a hick, I don't know these things. XD Yes, that's my excuse for whenever I'm wrong.

It hasn't been said in quite some time now....

I GOTTA HAVE MY POPS!!!!

I mindgames'd you!!!

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
*changes it*

Why is the Ridley thread so pointless and redundant? All anybody does is say "Ridley For Brawl!!1111!!!!one!!!" and that's about it. Every other character support thread has something to talk about, but this thread has nothing. I'm officially anti-Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
what does this have to do with Ridley? we went to first degree murder, and then spaghettios. come ON, people. pull it TOGETHER.

and fyi, Ridley doesn't do murder. he does first degree genocide.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Ridley won't be in Brawl, he's too big. My money's on an Adventure Mode Boss.

smashbros.com said:
Jun. 13 Wed. 2007

Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)
Notice how they said Metroid: Boss Battle. Could this be used for Single Player, when you play the Metroid section? Then they say Ridley Fight. This means that the boss you'll be fighting will be Ridley. They will also have this for other Adventure Mode levels. There could be a "Donkey Kong: Boss Battle Music (King K. Rool Fight)", or a "Fire Emblem: Boss Battle Music (Black Knight Fight)" and so on.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Okay, um, Ridley always commits first degree murder. Even when it's an accident! Because that's just how he rolls.

Also he will murder anyone who gets between him and his delicious Corn Pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom