• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviving Texas Melee

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Perhaps 2 weeks in advance. Just don't make it during finals! I'll have to check around to see who's available to drive. If no one seems available, we'll have to wait until next semester when if all goes well, I 'should' get my car from SoCal.

Aion

Smash Rookie
i agree with DoH, texas melee needs to be picked up. It was very nice to see DoH and Wobbles at the last test your skills. Im willing to cab the houston crew for any upcoming tournys outside of houston. I want to help out all of TX but we need to start small. DiAngelo, I love you, you support the houston melee community and your a badass dude, but we need a TO dedicated to melee in Htown. Alan, your bored and depressed because you play a game for kids ages 12 and below. Come back to melee! It would also be nice to see some old friends(Ronnie, Mog, Roy). I understand there have been a select handfull of people putting in huge efforts to sustain melee and see some people rejoin the sensation but we all have to put atleast a little effort in (looking for venues/offering to cab etc.) if we are to see our beloved game come back to its true potential. If we could get out of city players attending tournaments more regularly, i believe something positive could happen to the melee community in the south.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Well, this isn't directly Texas Melee, but Arkansas is hosting A.R.K. III (One of the South's largest fighting game tournaments) on April 2nd at Conway Gaming Center in Conway, AR. We are all about reviving or encouraging our Smash community including Melee or Brawl. We will probably even have Smash 64 money matches at the tournament.

We are expecting at least ~120 people (including 10-20 players from the DFW, TX area) at this tournament featuring games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! The Smash portion of the event will be run by Smashboard's own VTS and we will have a recording station available for you to record whichever matches you deem necessary (just work it out with the station manager). If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread where you can find more details about the event located at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

Aion

Smash Rookie
Well, this isn't directly Texas Melee, but Arkansas is hosting A.R.K. III (One of the South's largest fighting game tournaments) on April 2nd at Conway Gaming Center in Conway, AR. We are all about reviving or encouraging our Smash community including Melee or Brawl. We will probably even have Smash 64 money matches at the tournament.

We are expecting at least ~120 people (including 10-20 players from the DFW, TX area) at this tournament featuring games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! The Smash portion of the event will be run by Smashboard's own VTS and we will have a recording station available for you to record whichever matches you deem necessary (just work it out with the station manager). If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread where you can find more details about the event located at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!
If any houston smashers want to attend the arkansas tournament im willing to cab if we can find decent housing (which im sure we can)

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
If any houston smashers want to attend the arkansas tournament im willing to cab if we can find decent housing (which im sure we can)
We should be able to house whoever. Just let me know what you need and I'll try to make arrangements for you. If you're willing to drive, I can let other people from Houston know so that they can carpool with you (with your permission of course) to save everyone gas and get more numbers from your area. Thanks dude!

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
this will be out closest tournament: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287843

its whobo, for brawl but melee will be there sunday.

understandable if you guys can't make it, but the players that travel in houston probably won't be down to travel anytime soon.

also, can anyone find a ticket to cali for genesis for less than 500 bucks??
Jake me,velox, Richard and blitz wana go too!!! omg!!!! =D

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If you guys go to Genesis, we should meet up! I'm from SoCal, so it's only 7 hours away and I'll almost definitely be going.
We're planning on hosting Endless Challenge 2 in April in Austin, which will more than likely be Melee exclusive.
For EC1 we got FastLikeTree and Caveman, it'd be nice to get Darkrain and DoH this time but if you guys could come from Arizona it'd be absolutely amazing.
My sis and I drove from Houston to Yellowstone last May, and it took about two days to get from Houston to Holbrook, AZ, which is actually much further north than Tuscon. The first day was just to get from Houston to El Paso, so conceivably you could make the trip in one day since Austin is 3 hours closer. In fact, the only reason it took two days was because of this huge forest with really sharp turns we had to drive through.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'll see if anyone's willing to drive. If not, we'll just have to wait til next semester when I have my car.

Also, we'll probably have our next tournament first or second week of April.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm going to finally finish the Final Smash series with 9 this summer and 10 in January 2012.

I want to do both Melee and Brawl, but I'm not sure how it's best to go about it. Should I try to do all 4 (singles/teams for both) in one day? Spread it across two days?

Or just make it separate like I did with 6 and 7 or something to that effect?

Btw, the venue would be Gamelot, who is cool with smash again, and has greatly expanded it's tournament. The closet has more than doubled in size, A/C *****, and there's plenty of breathing room.
Venue fee will be a nice and simple 5 or 6 bucks.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'll see if anyone's willing to drive. If not, we'll just have to wait til next semester when I have my car.

Also, we'll probably have our next tournament first or second week of April.
Mapquest estimates the drive to be 12 hrs 45 mins. I drove from Austin to Lubbock which is about 7 hrs, so its easily doable if two people take turns driving.
If anyone can come tell them to bring their passport just in case they accidentally cross into Mexico, lulz.

Aion

Smash Rookie
We're planning on hosting Endless Challenge 2 in April in Austin, which will more than likely be Melee exclusive.
For EC1 we got FastLikeTree and Caveman, it'd be nice to get Darkrain and DoH this time but if you guys could come from Arizona it'd be absolutely amazing.
My sis and I drove from Houston to Yellowstone last May, and it took about two days to get from Houston to Holbrook, AZ, which is actually much further north than Tuscon. The first day was just to get from Houston to El Paso, so conceivably you could make the trip in one day since Austin is 3 hours closer. In fact, the only reason it took two days was because of this huge forest with really sharp turns we had to drive through.
What day in april is the tourny? I can cab some people to this one for sure. Hopefully i can get the houston crew to come up too

Broly

Smash Lord
Wtf? im trying to establish myself by skill not looks. I'll go, but ill need a ride unless htown wanna travel in my van. xD

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Just as a reminder: The UT Smash Club is regularly hosting Melee tournaments at its meetings. Out of city players are encouraged to attend. In fact, tomorrow's meeting is going to have 7 players from Houston. We're probably going to have another meeting in two weeks, and then two weeks after that we're hosting NSIC.

ScottM

Smash Rookie
Hello Texas Melee.

My name is Scott, I used to play Melee with some of the main Dallas area people and I'm trying to get back into it. I'm at UNT in Denton right now, and was wondering if anyone is fairly close to that? I have sent several PMs but have had no luck.

Thanks

Kal

Smash Champion
ill mm kal. If its the same kal from the past, he'll remember me.
Yeah, I'm the Kal that beat you at one of King Mosquito's tournaments. You remarked (read: johned) in the results thread that your loss to me has caused you to quit Melee forever.

I'm glad to hear you're playing Melee again though. Rumor has it that you can shield and grab now, which means the "run up and shield" counter strategy will have to be reworked for our money match.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, A.R.K. III (NOW featuring Justin Wong, Fubarduck, Lil Majin, and many more great players!) is coming up THIS SATURDAY in Conway, AR! We are expecting at least ~150 people with games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! Players are coming in from at least California, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas!

Note that our tournament is now sponsored by Game On Apparel, Shadaloo.eu, Borderland Games, Broken Tier, and the Bat Cave, which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Hello Texas Melee.

My name is Scott, I used to play Melee with some of the main Dallas area people and I'm trying to get back into it. I'm at UNT in Denton right now, and was wondering if anyone is fairly close to that? I have sent several PMs but have had no luck.

Thanks
There are like, 4 of us on the south end of campus that play pretty regularly, and I've been told there are like a dozen people or so in one of the other dorms that play regularly as well. Dunno how many of them actually read smashboards regularly though. Either way, sent you a pm and figured I'd mention this here incase any other Denton players wander by this thread and see it. Always good to find more people playing up here :).

Top Bottom