• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival of Wisconsin 11/13/10 Appleton/Kimberly, WI

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Wow the last page is really buggy for me. (I can't post a reply. I think it has to do with all those !!! from sanchaz's quote.)

@ Steve:
I actually think the MW is one of ~2 regions that stands to benefit most from this. With the tournaments "gone" from the regional zones (although this one is still here,) there's a ton more room.

The main rooms can be used for
  • Smashfests (I've already made one for Madison fests.)
  • Rankings threads (I know WI don't have them but they're becoming more popular and just add to the clutter in PoopChat.)
  • Serious state threads (heaven forbid we actually made a useful WI thread. Didn't someone try to make a WI locator thread a while back? That's been swallowed by the clutter in poopchat.)

It may not seem like a big deal to you because you're used to it, but I was shocked with how much clutter was in the MW forums. There's no room in poopchat for threads. The "WI" thread frequently has 3 discussions going on at once. It also is more like the WI/MN/sometimes IL thread.

Overall this should lessen the clutter in poopchat and make more threads available to a region which desperately needs more room.

Could you imagine if every state had a rankings thread? For brawl and melee? And a state thread? That would have been so inconvenient with the old system. Now it's doable.

Poopchat can still be full of poop. But now the feces doesn't have to engulf useful threads.

Tink

Smash Hero
ya, but with how the MW is sooo spread out, its stupid for us on rankings system johns -_-....we have like, 5-6 decent players in every state -_-.....the only state that could warrent a power rankings, would be like, IL....mayyybe MO.

if it aint broke, dont fix it, is my thoughts on it :/.....i mean, why does the regional tournament zone gotta suffer for the stupid poop chat part?

(i do nottt like the new format -_-......having to go through the calender to schedule events for only a 20 man tourny is stupid -_- and is bound to confuse more then help. for bigger tournies, sure, def good use.)

just my 2 cents on it after i read thed amnnn long article on it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Tink said:
ya, but with how the MW is sooo spread out, its stupid for us on rankings system johns -_-....we have like, 5-6 decent players in every state -_-.....the only state that could warrent a power rankings, would be like, IL....mayyybe MO.

if it aint broke, dont fix it, is my thoughts on it :/.....i mean, why does the regional tournament zone gotta suffer for the stupid poop chat part?

(i do nottt like the new format -_-......having to go through the calender to schedule events for only a 20 man tourny is stupid -_- and is bound to confuse more then help. for bigger tournies, sure, def good use.)

just my 2 cents on it after i read thed amnnn long article on it.
You're definitely right about not needing PR for individual states. But having locators for states would be good. It may also inspire collective/multi state PR, since we now have the room to do it. I'm not saying it'll happen, but I am saying that it couldn't be done in the old system. That's one definite improvement.

Understood about not broken, don't fix. But the problem was that it used to be semi-broken. Frequently (although not with the MW) tournaments would post a thread in their regional zone and in TL. This would lead to confusion as far as activity, and which thread for attendees to post in. I know the MW ended up not using the TL at all, but that's not really the intention of those rooms. With that perspective, TL was broken.
Because of the use of two rooms for some tourneys, and some regions not using the room at all.

It also adds functionality with the calendar. Now there's an easy way to search for a tournament on a date, by going through the calendar. Being able to do that was impossible with the old way, so in that since it was also broken.

Not sure what you mean by regional suffering for poopchat. Kinda unclear on that sentence.

As for going through the calendar to schedule events, I'm not sure if you got the post crystal clear (which I don't blame you as it was pretty long.) You can create any even either through the calendar or the New Post link in TL. They take you to the same place. So you're not necessarily going through the calendar at all. The headers and new sections in posting a tournament only include information which already would be filled out: Place, Time, Location, Games. The remainder of the information (Ruleset, Prices, Payouts, Setups, Attendees) still goes in the same place.

So nothing new has been added to creating a tournament. The format is slightly altered. No new information is required.

Creating a 20 man tournament is equally simple as it used to be, except now you get an autolink into the calendar, so people can search for it by date. This removes the need for people to post "I'll be in Chicago for this weekend, any tournaments happening?"

I understand if you still don't like it. For myself I'm actually really excited for this as it adds a bunch of slick new functionality to the website (Search for tourneys based on date, region in TL.) As well as provides more room so spread out regions have more room for threads.

@ Big D:
Well yes and no, to be very honest.

Yes in that if you want to check for all kinds of regional activity including tournaments, you'll have to go to both TL and the MW.
No in that if you want to look for tournaments (of any kind), you'll only have to go to TL. You won't have to go to two places if you're looking for both regional and national tournaments. It also removes that sneaking suspicion you never have about whether someone posted a big MW tourney in TL, and if you should check there just in case too.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Seriously... John why did you have to quote Sanchaz stupid post... I'm triple posting or something till i get this off the current page.

john!

Smash Hero
I use 30 posts per page so I can still have some idea what people are talking about when referencing page numbers.

Also +1 post toward new page.
just go 40ppp and multiply by 3/8, i thought you were a math whiz, this should be easy stuff son :bee: nah jk

that's actually a good idea and i might try it

sanchaz let's team

Rat

Smash Lord
man this tournament is going to have to be hella fast. 11-9 isn't much time.

jnolan

Smash Apprentice
So Tink told me I should come to this, so I am looking for a ride.

I am in Chicago (Rodgers Park) but can reach anywhere around the city (via CTA). If anyone is passing near by Chicago and can pick me up, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you think you can, give me a call: 630-207-0014, or send me a message on here. Thanks.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yo tink when r u coming to pick me and kelly up? I'm super bored and want to play some smash.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i really hate it

maybe in west coast they have like hundreds of tourney threads and social threads for every 10 people or something, but its way more of a hassle to find threads now than it was before

alcheato

Smash Ace
Yeah, seriously. I don't like this new system one bit.

So does anyone want to team? oh **** it i'll just use the money I save to load up on energy drinks for singles

Vinodh

Smash Apprentice
Mundungu, I do not need a ride to the tournament

let me know if you see this

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
man this tournament is going to have to be hella fast. 11-9 isn't much time.
10 hours to run a tourney???? Does IL like suck at time managment? There is no way I see this tourney going anytime past 7 or 8.

BTW just a reminder to everyone. Don't bring your own food or drinks, you can buy them at the venue. Plenty of places around the Venue for lunch.
REGISTRATION STARTS AT 10:30 and closes at 11. If you aren't there by 11 and are running late... please call my cell at 920-475-7699. If you don't let me know ahead of time, and are running super late, You won't be added to teams. You have fair warning. Don't let it happen.

Quaz

Smash Master
its looking like this will be a great turnout though, so it might be harder than you think to finish up fast enough.

does anyone know who from MN is going? So far I think its Deepak, Diciple, RRR, Chexr, Sparrow?Flux? anyone else? I think Tempest dropped out.

Xtra

Smash Ace
alright quaz u'r on. wanna make it 2 or 3 big ones?

so is anything in the vicinity going on after the tourny? besides rager in mill town? or should i plan on comming back home?

ORLY

Smash Master
Someone pick up Diego and jnolan! These people need rides!

I would but my car already has five people. :(

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ i would watch too.

Sitting on the GSL Live Stream watching korean commercials until it starts. IM SO EXCITED! GOGOGOGO FOXER!!!!!!!!!

work in 4 hours >_>

Top Bottom