• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I don't want him to retire for the sole reason that there might not be another player as great as Armada.

This would be like C. Ronaldo retiring for me :(

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I don't want him to retire for the sole reason that there might not be another player as great as Armada.

No one will ever replace Armada. T_T

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, Armada was a major inspiration for me in this game. I remember thinking that the spacees were stupid and that they were set to rule Melee forever. Then Armada came along and showed us that anyone can take the throne with a non-Top Tier character. Heck, Peach has losing MUs against practically every character in Top and High Tier, but that didn't keep him down. I hope you can find good ways to make use of your new-found time now Armada. Whether you come back or not is arbitrary. Smash will live on and Melee will be here for a while yet. I have an eye for that top spot as do many, I'm sure. Watch us grow, Armada! :)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Not gonna lie though a M2K/PP Grand Finals sounds pretty sexy right now.

Their Apex losers finals match was epic. Could have gone either way.

Gorillion

Smash Rookie
Armada,

You've been an eternal engine of inspiration for the next generation of smashers. Every match you play has my jaw agape with total amazement. Not just because of technical precision, but because of sheer mastery over the game. There's never a moment when you seem to have lost control. And that's amazing. I think I can speak for everyone, even being a nobody in the Smash community, when I say that you have changed the game forever. Innumerable wins aside, your style alone, the spirit of Armada, is almighty.

Goodbye to the undisputed king of Melee. And may the game continue to grow under the light you've shed.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a good time for you to retire. Looking unbeatable and all that. Good luck and have fun.

I remember the first big smash tournament I went to back in 2007 (RoS4) where you got 4th after losing a pretty intense set against Amsah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFicyHzX3Q). It's pretty cool that you got this far.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
you know ken is the king of smash. but armada is and will always be the god of smash. a lot of people will disagree with his decision but you just dont question god. you have to blindly follow his beliefs and trust into his decisions bringing the absolute bliss.

armada has proven himself to be invincible a dozen of times. i think he wants now to resign as the best player in the universe and make way for other people to develop. armada had to wait some time so that other europeans he trained could catch up to the international level and europe wouldnt die out. but now that leffen and overtriforce are respectable competitors they can claim the number 1 spot in the world themselves there is no need for armada to interfere anymore.

i extend my deepest gratitude to armada for ending and beginning a new era, we all are pioneers here.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Armada is nowhere near invincible actually and that's why his retirement sucks. Do you really think PP's marth has perfected the peach matchup? PP essentially never stops improving. He'd stack it up harder next time. Competition is high. He is the undisputed champ, not by as much as most people seem to think.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
i can understand your pride towards the us but your opinion is wrong. armada was about to get a clean 3-0 in second set, which was the set where he completed downloading pp, but the ntsc marth interfered in this one match. also peach is a character that relies on a lot of trades, otherwise she would not get out of combos and gets comboed infinitely. thats actually how armada gets his percent and eventually gets killed.

NamiNami

Smash Apprentice
Like Mew2King said,

no Armada anymore is like playing a game without the final boss. Must agree this.

strawhats

Smash Master

psssh....Messi all day man (Ronaldhino taught em both how it's done anyways)

It's funny hearing the person many people considered the final boss for years (until armada came around), m2k, refer to Armada as THE FINAL BOSS.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Armada, you're great man. thanks for doing the AMA on reddit a while back. i remember when i first played melee, me and my friends though peach was horrible(because she was light). you showed me how wrong i was.

thanks for playing someone other than fox/falco/sheik/marth, and owning with her. and please stay a while and commentate some streams!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
i can understand your pride towards the us but your opinion is wrong. armada was about to get a clean 3-0 in second set, which was the set where he completed downloading pp, but the ntsc marth interfered in this one match. also peach is a character that relies on a lot of trades, otherwise she would not get out of combos and gets comboed infinitely. thats actually how armada gets his percent and eventually gets killed.
Lol you john even when Armada wins.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree with this. Armada before you go do you mind doing something like this just to give everyone in the community a chance to play you. It would be a big deal for a lot of people.
Ive never read anything so ridiculous.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
Although he has all #1 placings since G2, I disagree to those who are saying he is leaving as unbeatable. However I WILL say that I don't believe there is ANY fast-faller player in the world who can challenge him. Even if he didn't retire without Sheik/Marth (or anyone else i suppose) he wouldn't lose. The extent to which he ***** FFF (fox/falco/falcon) is ridiculous.

leffen

Smash Champion
i was up 3-2 and he was literally a percent or two from dying from an upair and then he made a comeback into a 4-3, and that was PAL fox. (week before apex)

hes dominant, but not unbeatable or unchallenged. thats not the reason for him "retiring"

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Like Mew2King said,

no Armada anymore is like playing a game without the final boss. Must agree this.
Ya and only a handful can actually touch him so why does even low level players care about having a final boss when even after years later they wont even come close to that level. lol

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Armada you are one of my Melee idols and it sucks to see you announce retirement after I sat here and rooted for you while you performed at apex. I know you had a great run though, so I respect that.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I feel that he's creating a huge vacuum in his wake--who exactly can replace him fully? Even if someone is decisively as dominant it's not the same as having to play against him. It's going to suck for the next few tourneys with all the "If Armada" crap but we'll get over it, and I'm sure someone else will try to pick up his style and emulate it at least somewhat. The best Peach ever is leaving though--that I think is harder than losing a great player (or even the best player). The best representative of a character is completely absent and no one is even close in that regard. I expect Peach to fall back to where she normally was; he was an outlier for Peach.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
i was up 3-2 and he was literally a percent or two from dying from an upair and then he made a comeback into a 4-3, and that was PAL fox. (week before apex)

hes dominant, but not unbeatable or unchallenged. thats not the reason for him "retiring"
Leffen, earlier in this thread you said you don't see this retirement lasting. May I ask why?

GIVE ME HOPE

;_;

stelzig

Smash Lord
Because people who announce their "retirement" from a game usually come back. Sometimes really quickly too.

He even already said that if he got the desire to get better again he would come back.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I always enjoyed seeing Armada play because his sheer level of ingenuity and adaptability was so incomprehensible to me that I liked witnessing him continually overcome the best players and in all kinds of scenarios, I liked seeing other players try to contest that ability. That's the only thing that I think the community will lose with him retiring.

But smash is far from all there is to life and anyone who feels like Armada quitting Melee is some monumentally life-changing event needs go outside a little more. Smash is a great experience, and to be able to travel to tournaments and play is certainly unique, but it's still a hobby at the end of the day.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Considering I've never gotten into the competitive scene that much, it might be hard for me to imagine the level of involvement required, but I think if you want to be at the top level, Smash has to become a very important, if not leading, part of your life.

If Armada actually doesn't enter tournaments anymore, I think this might change more things in his life than you're assuming.

But I don't know him so hey, I might be wrong haha.

leffen

Smash Champion
Leffen, earlier in this thread you said you don't see this retirement lasting. May I ask why?

GIVE ME HOPE

;_;
What Stelzig said, and a couple more reasons more specific this particular "retirement" that I don't really wanna go to more detail into

I'll give you a hint: Armada is still following this thread, why?

NamiNami

Smash Apprentice
Ya and only a handful can actually touch him so why does even low level players care about having a final boss when even after years later they wont even come close to that level. lol
Well, I'm not in the "handful" but wouldn't consider myself as a low level player either.

That's what M2K said and I kinda feel bad for him.

Armada

Smash Lord
Leffen: Yeah I has been following this thread cause if people have some question I feel they should get a answer on (maybe havve missed something in the thread but I hope not).

I know a lot of people have been coming back after things like this. Im not someone that can look into the future so it would just be stupid to say Im 100% sure I will never enter a tournament again.

Most of those people that did came back never achived many of the things I did. That is a strong argument for me not finding that fire again. I don't wanna let people down but I don't wanna lie so people get up their hopes.

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Why you didn't make G3nesis your last tournament?

It would be stupidly awesome that:

Genesis: Here comes a new challenger.

Genesi2: The champ is here.

G3nesis: The end of a legend.

leffen

Smash Champion
That wasn't the point I was making but whatever.

I don't think that achieving a lot really makes that much of a difference as you think it will

Mango was in a very similar position after Pound 4 and he also talked about quitting, not playing seriously, and so on, and yet he came back.

I think you are just burnt out on smash, you're experiencing something everyone goes through at some point, but since you're you, officially retiring is much better to you than playing half hearted, like Mango did at Apex2010/Pound 5. I think a part of you won't want to come back, just so no one can doubt that you were the best when you played.

Honestly, I just think that you should just do whatever you feel like now, and in the future, and don't let this "official retirement" or what you "owe" to the community limit you. If you feel like entering a tournament when the time comes, do it, if you don't, then don't. There isn't, and won't be, any need for a official retirement or comeback either way.

Making statements and promises about what the future you will think like never turns out for the better. If you don't want to have the drive to play this game anymore, maybe the retirement would help you by creating additional pressure to not play again, but I still think that you want to feel that fire again. I know you still have some of that fire for teams with Aniolas.

In the end, I just find announcing this as a retirement as silly and backwards. Maybe its wishful thinking, but since I actually anticipated this "retirement" even before Apex, I'm pretty sure I'm not totally off.

In any case, I never thanked you for being such an awesome rival and friend over the years. So, thanks. A lot.

Armada

Smash Lord
Yeah you maybe are right. Yeah Im burnt out for sure.

"I think a part of you won't want to come back, just so no one can doubt that you were the best when you played."

I don't wanna sound cocky but I proved this severall of times already so no matter what happens during this time I was the best.

Yeah I will try my hardest to not limit myself because of this. If I feel the fire I see no reason to get back into it. If I don't I can guarrantee Im not doing it.

Yeah I would love to feel the fire again, can't deny that. Smash has been such a huge part of my life. I also realize that me not competing means I can't travel as I used to and I will miss so many people because of that =/

In one way I feelt like I should announce it because I have been a kinda big part in this community so I guess everyone deserves to know. In one way I wanted to not do it but it feelt like in the end like the best choice.

Thank you too man =)
You pushing me more then any other Swede/European probably gave me a few months extra fire!

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
leffen:
I think it's better to announce the retirement, even if it's temporary, rather than just not go to tournaments and cause lots of confusion.
I mean, he is the top player so people are going to notice and care.
Maybe he shouldn't call it "retirement" yet though. "Taking a break" would be better, and then see what happens next.

Armada:
Just don't think about smash for a while. If you do, and keep reminding yourself that you're retiring, you will keep the "fire" away anyway.
Also, taking a break might even be a good thing IF you come back. Often when you push yourself hard to perform well, you limit yourself to one way of thinking. When I played the piano, it was useful to practise the **** out of a part, then not play it for a month, and then suddenly you're much better at it than before.

Top Bottom