• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
Yo guys, don't worry. Armada was the champion, now he's gunna sit on MtSilver waiting for Mango, HBox, PP or M2K to show up. They'll face eachother and say; "........" and the battle will commence.
I would think Axe should have that honour, what with his level 80 pikachu and all

strawhats

Smash Master
I think you did kind of throw away your chance to play Armada. If you had not messed up the first stock of your final game in singles, you and PP would have gone to the final game, and there was your chance. You had the ability, but made the slightest of errors. I say this as an encouragement about your skill, not to get on you for messing up.
Ummm...that was the final game of LFs, if that's the game you're referring to.(Game 5 on FD)

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
hey armada i have a lil request .....your ylink against the rest of the top tier characters ..streamed, recorded ..put on youtube or something. i main ylink and it would be kinda nice to see the best one fight other character then just jiggs and ness. even though i saw you mess up a couple spacie's at apex2013

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
and I guess I'm the best in europe
I think that would be Over considering Apex results.

On topic.

I'll really miss Armada, he brought so much into the scene, with his playstyle and mindset. And in top of that, i've only met him once, but he seemd like such a great person. I'll miss you and your play as so many many more people will do too. I hope you are successful in whatever you do from now.

Zodiac

Smash Master
So now, armada retires as undisputed champion, and we have a bunch of player's that are roughly equal in skill but none seem to have the drive to claim the spot that is suddenly up for grabs, I understand it being an empty spot because they can't actually beat armada but we have two major tournaments one after the other. If they were to win evo and then genesis could we call them the new champion? Or would we have to wait for them to dominate for a whole year?

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Armada, couldn't you just announce you retirement? like: "hey guys, it has been awesome beating you and all but i think i'll retire next year, so EVO and G3 will be my last tournaments :(".
Seriously, you leave us at the wrong moment we have a real chance of getting our game recognized at EVO this year we needed you there. well i wish you Gl in everything, i'll never forget you as a player 'couse i never had the chance of meeting you :(

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
this gave me a rather discomforting feeling the first time i read this. almost felt like a part of my smash life was ripped out of me.

i wish i couldve made apex this year. i never ever got to meet you. one day........................... maybe one day.

K-12 The Madchine

Smash Rookie
I'd liked to play you again, i enjoyed a lot that day we played.
Nice to meet you, congratulations for your position, for your way to face Smash and good luck.
We have to acept your decision...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Armada, you definitely brought the hype and excitement to America at every tournament.

I wish you much success in your future.

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
Random scrub here, I'm just kinda baffled by how you put forth so much time and effort to become the best, then reaped the money reward for your hard work and dedication, and finally decide to put down the game during what may turn out to be the golden year of smash with the very real possibility of EVO, G3 and BEAST. Either you aren't too concerned with money and GLORY or you're a ****ing saint and just want others to excel in your place, OR you have perfectly logical personal reasons for retiring and we as a community should respect that and wish you the best of luck in life. Regardless, you left your mark on our community, and errbody appreciates your beautiful reign of terror. I'm still secretly hoping for the luigi tho, lol.

:phone:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Really hope you reconsider for EVO, it will be the biggest stage smash has seen in years and an amazing note to go out on with a tournament victory...

Armada

Smash Lord
Money have, and never will, be a reason for me to keep playing. Yes money have made it possible for me to travel to America and all over Europe for the past 5 years but it's not a reason for me to play.

I was competing for such a long time because I had the fire to improve. I always wanted to become a better player. My first 7,5 years with competing was kinda simillar when it came to my feelings about being a better player.

The last 5 months or something has not been the same. At first I thought it was just something that would be gone eventually (have happend 1 or 2 times before but then it went away very fast). But after 5 months I know it's not a random feeling.

I do hope melee grow as a game and Im looking forward to see Melee finally getting into EVO (looks like it most likely will). I still like the game but I can't compete if I don't have the fire to put in the work it takes.

I probably would be one of the best, possible still the best even if I played less (at least for a while). But the title or the results would not be as important for me if I could not give everything I had into it.

JKJ

Smash Ace
*sigh*
I never thought I'd see the day... I never wanted to see the day. Kudos to you, Adam, you are perhaps the greatest Smasher to ever play this great game. To watch you dominate the scene as you did was incredible. I don't believe that anyone will ever master the Fox/Falco matchup as you did, I don't think anyone will ever be able to pull off those incredible Turnip>Float>Nair ledgeguards like you did, and overall your consistency as a player has set the bar very high when it comes to who we percieve as our best player. While I am disappointed that I may never see another hype PP/Armada or Mango/Armada set, I believe that if you have truly lost the drive to compete, it is only reasonable that you retire, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in all that you do.
That said, I still hope to meet you someday at a future tournament, however unlikely that circumstance may be.
Much respect, Adam. Good luck, and I hope to still see you around.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just a random guy who's only seen matches of yours in Melee and enjoyed them Armada, but while it's a bit surprising to me that you would retire while Melee's on the cusp of being confirmed for EVO this year, it's your choice and I'm not going to fault you or hate on you for it. I'm sure lots of people would love to see you go to EVO and hope to see you re-consider so you would play, but again if you don't want to play, I can respect that. However, I just figured I'd let you know if you didn't already, that EVO does have spectator passes, so if you want to see how Melee does at EVO (barring some last minute $10k + donation for some other game), then you can always come down and spectate and I'm sure people would enjoy that.

Either way, just figured I'd say best of luck with life and where it takes you.

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
So now, armada retires as undisputed champion, and we have a bunch of player's that are roughly equal in skill but none seem to have the drive to claim the spot that is suddenly up for grabs,
Sir, I do believe you are now officially on record as the first person to ever have said PP doesn't have drive.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Why not compete in one last tourney to give the others that are gunning for you a shot to finally beat you?

I'm sure pp, hbox, mango (maybe not lol), m2k, and others will all elevate themselves to another level knowing this is their last chance to beat the best.

However, good games Armada. I got into competitive smash because of your set with mango at genesis 2. Good luck in life, and I'm sure you will find success in whatever you do.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think the reason why Armada{he might prove me wrong} isn't thinking about going to Genesis3 and Evo and giving everyone one last shot to beat him is because he doesn't believe it will be legitimate. I think he believes that he won't practice up till the summer and he will likely lose, but at the sametime it would be a hollow victory for his opponent because he hasn't been practicing/trying.

I think it's mostly Europe's fault for not being able to take sets off him, and at some tourneys not even a single game{in best of 5s}

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
I was competing for such a long time because I had the fire to improve. I always wanted to become a better player. My first 7,5 years with competing was kinda simillar when it came to my feelings about being a better player.

The last 5 months or something has not been the same. At first I thought it was just something that would be gone eventually (have happend 1 or 2 times before but then it went away very fast). But after 5 months I know it's not a random feeling.
What do you think it would take for that fire to come back to you?

Theftz22

Smash Lord
This is hopeful at least. So if you were to get that drive back, would you come back?

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I just worry about how Armada leaving will affect our showing at EVO. Mango will probably lose his drive, and PP and Hbox might as well. We need everyone in top competitive form there. I respect Armada's choice to leave, but it's sad and comes at a bad time. :(

Armada

Smash Lord
Froggy: Im not afraid of losing. I have never been and never will. Losing is a important lesson to improve.
I don't feel for compete if I can't give my all into it.

Shimesaba: I have no idea to be honest.

Theftz22: Then I would not have a real reason not to play. I still like the game and I love the community.

Right now it feels good to not push myself. Was working mad hard for many years and right now it feels good to have the chance to do other stuff.

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
Was working mad hard for many years and right now it feels good to have the chance to do other stuff.
Tell us! Surely you have something particular in mind to do with your newly found tree time.

I say start gardening and grow some turnips ;)

Yuno

Smash Rookie
Armada, any opinion on who you think will take up the #1 spot with you out of the picture? Or who would you like to see be #1 now?

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
Froggy: Im not afraid of losing. I have never been and never will. Losing is a important lesson to improve.
I don't feel for compete if I can't give my all into it.

Shimesaba: I have no idea to be honest.

Theftz22: Then I would not have a real reason not to play. I still like the game and I love the community.

Right now it feels good to not push myself. Was working mad hard for many years and right now it feels good to have the chance to do other stuff.
If someone beat you, would you feel the need to come back?

space23

Smash Rookie
Noooo Armada, at least only compete in nationals.
Now there's no peachy wrecking havoc anymore especially in Europe

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
Armada, I hope you will understand that entering the next 3 major tournaments would be a HUGE contribution to the melee community, and generate so much more hype. You could help ensure another golden age of melee and help the community as a whole prosper. Please take this into consideration.

All the top players: Mango, M2k, PP, and Hbox would all lose a lot if not all of their drive to compete and be the best, and this is possibly the worst timing ever for it. Not to mention, if you decide to come it could help us in our fundraising and make sure Skullgirls doesn't beat us to Evo. We need you Armada, we really do.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
man, armada if you had gone to genesis, i wouldve asked to mm your kirby with pichu

:<

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Wow I hate you D;

I guess he'll remain 3 / 3 wins in the us when traveling with me haha >_>

and I guess I'm the best in europe

yay
This is how I felt when everyone in AZ retired.

"Huh, I'm the best in my City/Best space animl in AZ.....

......Yay?"

That feel when you'll never legitimately be better than them, because they retired before you could really prove yourself.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
*sigh* ah well.

Good games, Armada. You're a brilliant competitor. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do from here on out.

Top Bottom