• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Redesign Brawl Roster

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I've seen some threads about redesigning the roster for Smash 64 or Melee using only characters that were made at the time, and I really think it should be done with other Smash games, like Brawl. So the rules are that you can only use characters from 2008 or before. Have fun! Try to have a limit of 40 characters plus five echoes. Here's my roster:

Veterans: 1. :ultmario: 2. :ultluigi: 3. :ultdk: 4. :ultyoshi: 5. :ultlink: 6. :ultsamus: 7. :ultkirby: 8. :ultpikachu: 9. :ultjigglypuff: 10. :ultfox: 11. :ultness: 12. :ultfalcon: 13. :ultpeach: 14. :ultbowser: 16. :ultdiddy: 17. :ultkrool: 18. :ultzelda: 19. :ultganondorf: 20. :ultridley: 21. :ultmetaknight: 22. :ultkingdedede: 23. :ultmewtwo: 24. :ultwolf: 25. :ultmarth: 26. :ultike: 27. :ultgnw: 28. :ultpit: 29. :ultwario: 30. :ultsnake: 31. :ultsonic: 32. :ultlittlemac: 33. :ultmegaman: 34. :ultpacman: 36. :ultryu:

Newcomers: 37. Toad 38. Ganon 39. Gardevoir 40. Tails

Echoes: :ultdaisy: :ultroy::ultken:, Shadow

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Tbh, the Brawl roster was really good outside of the absence of Mewtwo, but that’s caused by time constraints/Mewtwo’s unpolished nature in Melee. If I was using this thread‘s rules, I’d probably just tack on Mewtwo and Daisy to the real roster and end it there. I make my roster using the same limits and Sakurai’s initial ideas seeing what I thought was feasible at the time.
Starter::mario2::luigi2::bowser2::peach::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::warioc::link2::sheilda::samus2::zerosuitsamus::kirby2::dedede::fox::pikachu2::pt::ness2::marth::ike::olimar::popo::pit:
Unlockable::ganondorf::falcon::metaknight::falco::lucario::gw::rob::snake::sonic::jigglypuff::toonlink::lucas::ultdaisy:
Honestly, I’d probably try to develop the same fighters that Sakurai tried to develop except for Dr. Mario, leaving me with 23 veterans worked on.
In terms of newcomers, Zero Suit Samus is an unconventional choice, but most of the major players are being added, and Armorless Samus is important. In this roster, Zero Suit Samus would not be tied to Samus. Pokemon Trainer seems weird, but (s)he is the player character of Pokemon and with Zelda already being a transformation character, I’d see if I could make a three-in-one fighter. The only other weird choice is R.O.B., but he is a cool retro pick, and he plays a major part in the story, so why not.
In terms of fighters who weren’t in the original plan, I think that I’d probably work on Daisy as she’s easy to add, and she had been in the Mario Party and Gamecube spinoffs. In the end, she’d probably replace Wolf given that he barely made it in the first place, and Daisy is really easy to add.
I think that I would’ve also considered Isaac, Toad, Bowser Jr., Krystal, and Villager, but they were just lower priority.
Unfortunately, Mewtwo stays cut because of time constraints/difficulty reusing assets.

For fun, I’ll do an edited stage list:
SSB: FD, BF
Mario: Delfino Plaza, Luigis Mansion, Mario Circuit, Bowsers Castle, Mario Bros
DK: Gangplank Galleon, 25m
LoZ: Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship
Metroid: Crateria, Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi: Yoshi’s Island
Kirby: Halberd
Star Fox: Krazoa Palace
Pokemon: Sky Pillar, Spear Pillar
F Zero: Port Town Aero Drive
Mother: New Pork City
IC: Summit
FE: Serenes Forest
G&W: Flat Zone+
KI: Skyworld
Wario: Wario Ware
Metal Gear: Shadow Moses Island
Sonic: Green Hill Zone
Pikmin: Distant Planet
Other: Pictochat, Smashville, Wii Menu
Past maps: Mushroom Kingdom 64, Jungle Japes, Hyrule Castle (its my favorite), Zebes/Brinstar, Yoshi’s Island Melee, Fountain of Dreams, Sector Z/Corneria, Pokemon Stadium, Big Blue, Onett
I replaced Mushroomy Kingdom with Bowser’s castle since there were already 2 Mushroom Kingdom maps in SSB, and there was never a Bowser’s Castle.
The DK maps in Brawl were disliked, so I replaced them with maps that I think people would like more.
Crateia was to give Metroid maps more variety compared to Norfair.
Like Metroid, Star Fox was given a map not on a space ship even though I like Lylat Cruise the most.
Pokemon is given a gen III map instead of another Pokemon Stadium.
I wanted a specific location for FE instead of a generic one.
Since there was a stage based on DS features, why not add something related to the Wii.

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
https://i.imgur.com/B8jKs4v.png
Here it is... And... it's pretty a juicy one...
  • I chose Paper Mario to replace Peach, because yeah we do have ANOTHER Mario, but if I had to REALLY replace a fighter from Mario, it would be Peach, because of her current moveset state.
  • I replaced Toon Link with Midna + Wolf Link pair, so not only we could have a pair character that can just play as one character, it's also so we can ACTUALLY have a character from Twilight Princess.
  • Little Mac replaces R.O.B., because honestly, despite R.O.B.'s uniqueness, I'm pretty sure Little Mac would've gotten in, if the Wii reboot was released earlier.
  • Villager was planned for Brawl, but ultimately didn't make it in. If Villager was able to make it in Sm4sh, then he would've gotten in earlier.
  • I cut Falco for being the least needed, as we have a rivalry of Fox vs. Wolf (hero vs. villain), so Falco's out.
  • Mewtwo was notably cut from Brawl, and it was between him or Jigglypuff. As much as it pains me to cut an Original 12 member, realistically, Mewtwo takes the spot. I also kept Lucario to not only keep it to be Gen 1-exclusive, but also he was meant to be a placeholder.
  • Lucas' game never released outside of Japan, and honestly it convinced me to replace him. So I chose Isaac, because come on, why not? I also kept Ike for being a placeholder.
  • Lastly, Snake is replaced with Miis, simply because of Konami, thanks to Konami.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well, here's my thoughts.
:mario2::luigi2::warioc::bowser2::peach::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::dk2::diddy::samus2::ultdarksamus::yoshi2::link2::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::pikachu2::jigglypuff::pt::mewtwopm::lucario::kirby2::dedede::metaknight::ness2::lucas::falcon::fox::falco::olimar::marth::roypm::ike::popo::pit::gw::rob::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::sonic::ultmegaman::ultryu:
Most of these are either returning - being Mewtwo and Roy, specifically, or a couple of new ones that make sense - Mii fighters, for example, because the Mii function was incredibly important on the Wii, Dark Samus due to it's appearences in Metroid Prime 2, Bowser Jr from Sunshine, Little Mac in reference to his Wii appearance, and Ryu, but in reference moreso to SFII and SFIII.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
:mario2::luigi2::peach: Toad :bowser2::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::warioc::link2::zelda::ganondorf: Midna + Wolf Link:toonlink: :pikachu2::jigglypuff::pt::lucario:Sceptile:kirby2::metaknight::dedede: :samus2::ultridley::fox::wolf::popo::gw::marth::rob::pit::olimar::ness2::lucas::falcon:Samurai Goroh:snake::sonic:

:zerosuitsamus::sheik: aren't that important and are just different versions of :samus2::zelda:
:ike: was cut because at this time fire emblem was still a small series
:falco: was cut we don't need 2 fox clones
Toad is a super iconic mario character that should have been added since melee
Midna is there for an actual TP rep
Sceptile is there as a gen 3 rep
:ultridley: is there for a 2nd metroid character
Samurai Goroh is there for a 2nd F-Zero character

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Going by thread rules...
:mario2::luigi2::peach:Toad:bowser2::yoshi2::warioc::link2::zelda::ganondorf::toonlink:
:dk2::diddy::ultkrool::samus2::ultridley::ultdarksamus::kirby2::dedede::metaknight::ness2::lucas:
:fox::falco::wolf::pikachu2::mewtwopm::ultpichu:May:lucario::falcon:Isaac :4villager:
:marth::roypm::ike:Sami:olimar::pit::rob::popo::gw::snake::sonic: Shadow
  • Abiding by the roster limit of 45, Dr. Mario, Sheik, and Jigglypuff are cut. Maybe cut the Icies for a decloned Ganondorf or Ray Mk III?
  • Pokémon Trainer and Zero Suit are out, which frees up slots for Toad, King K. Rool, Ridley, and Villager, as they were important characters that missed the cut.
  • Since the thread allows for 40 characters, discounting the extra clones, I threw in May as a playable Trainer, based on a cool GameFAQs idea I saw, and Isaac.
  • Toon Zelda was originally here, as she was planned for the game and could serve as a replacement for Sheik, but given that we'd have three Links and Zeldas, plus Ganondorf to represent the series... yeah, I passed on that.
  • Still, I added the five extra clones, being Dark Samus, Pichu, Roy, Sami, and Shadow. The Metroid Prime games were popular and received well, Pichu and Roy are Melee veterans, though I wouldn't mind replacing the latter with Lyn, I'd prefer for a unique Advance Wars rep, but I didn't have too many other ideas without overrepresenting franchises and Sami as a Snake clone could work in theory (as shown by various mockups online), and Shadow was at his absolute peak in the 2000s and would be an easier negotiation than other third parties.
Here's a more realistic version:
:mario2::dk2::link2::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::gw::falcon:
:luigi2::diddy::zelda::ultridley::warioc::dedede::falco::mewtwopm::popo::snake:
:peach::ultkrool::ganondorf::marth::ness2::metaknight::wolf::ultpichu::rob::sonic:
:bowser2:Toad:toonlink::ike: :lucas::4villager::olimar::lucario: :pit:

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Cutting Sheik, Toon Link, ZSS, Falco, Pokémon Trainer and their Pokémon, Jigglypuff, Ike, and Lucas.

Adding Tetra (sure), Ridley, Black Shadow, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Isaac, Ray MK III, and Mega Man. Deoxys has different forms and Ray has customizability, so that probably adds development time somewhat equivalent to extra transformation characters.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Daisy
5. Bowser
6. Geno
7. Donkey Kong
8. Diddy and Dixie
9. Yoshi
10. Wario
11. Link
12. Zelda/Sheik
13. Ganondorf
14. Toon Link/Young Link
15. Samus
16. Sylux
17. Kirby
18. Meta Knight
19. King Dedede
20. Fox
21. Wolf
22. Pikachu
23. Lucario
24. Jigglypuff
25. Pokemon Trainer
26. Marth
27. Roy
28. Ike
29. Captain Falcon
30. Ness/Lucas
31. Olimar
32. Ice Climbers
33. Pit
34. ExciteBiker
35. Mr. Game and Watch
36. ROB
37. Banjo-Kazooie
38. Snake
39. Sonic
40. Mii

That's my Redesigned Brawl roster.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here is my attempt
Cut :zerosuitsamus::toonlink::ivysaur::squirtle::pit:
Add :mewtwopm::roypm::ultridley::geno:, Sukapon

Reasons:
-Ridley is better pick than a 2nd version of Samus and highly demanded.
-1 link is enough and Toon Link is a clone of different version of the same character so bringing back Roy instead is better option as he is a different character.
-Ivysaur and Squirtle are random picks so Bringing back Mewtwo and also bringing a highly demanded 3rd party like Geno would be more exciting.
-Joy mech fight is Nintendo’s actual traditional fighting game so bringing him would make sense and he is also the most requested pick in the smash 2 retro poll so it makes more sense for him to come in instead of Pit, Pit should join after Kid Icarus uprising.

Last edited:

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
Asterisks denote newcomers

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong*
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Samus
Ridley
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight*
Fox
Wolf
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Scizor
Sceptile*
Lucario*
Ness
Porky*
Marth
Lyn*
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.*
Excitebiker
Pit*
Captain Falcon
Tom Nook*
Isaac*
Olimar
Wii Fit Trainer*
Mii*
Sonic*
Snake*
Pac-Man*
Mega Man*

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
Pit should join after Kid Icarus uprising.
Whether or not if this is a "double post" (since nobody else posted after the roster I submitted here), though if Pit weren't in Brawl, I don't think Uprising would have likely happened. One of the reasons why we had Uprising if I recall was because Pit was in Brawl.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Whether or not if this is a "double post" (since nobody else posted after the roster I submitted here), though if Pit weren't in Brawl, I don't think Uprising would have likely happened. One of the reasons why we had Uprising if I recall was because Pit was in Brawl.
In this case I would like to see alternative timeline of Sukapon getting to brawl causing Joy Mech Fight Uprising to happen lol
I think Joy mech fight does have the potential to grow much more if it got a 2nd chance

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Here's Redesigned Brawl Roster

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Bowser Jr.
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. Yoshi
  9. Wario
  10. Ashley
  11. Link
  12. Zelda/Sheik
  13. Ganondorf
  14. Midna
  15. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
  16. Ridley
  17. Kirby
  18. Meta Knight
  19. King Dedede
  20. Pikachu
  21. Mewtwo
  22. Scizor
  23. Sceptile
  24. Lucario
  25. Fox
  26. Falco
  27. Krystal
  28. Wolf
  29. Marth
  30. Ike
  31. Ness
  32. Lucas
  33. Captain Falcon
  34. Pit
  35. Olimar
  36. Ice Climbers
  37. R.O.B.
  38. Isaac
  39. Mr. Game & Watch
  40. Snake
  41. Sonic
  42. Pac-Man
  43. Mega Man
  44. Cloud

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
*team now consists of Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Kirby​
Ice Climbers​
Pikachu​
Pit​
Luigi​
Diddy Kong​
King Dedede​
Marth​
Pokémon Trainer*​
DeMille​
Peach​
Link​
Meta Knight​
Ike​
Jigglypuff​
Olimar​
Bowser​
Zelda/Sheik​
Lucas​
Fox​
Lucario​
R.O.B.​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf​
Ness​
Falco​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Snake​
Wario​
Tetra​
Captain Falcon​
Wolf​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Sonic​

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
May as well take another crack at this, seems as it's been around 3 years! That said, I'm also going to give myself an additional limitation - to only include characters somehow featured in Brawl, whether through Trophies, Stickers, or otherwise. (I think this helps to give it a more grounded, realistic feel, whilst also giving an additional layer of challenge!) I'm also limiting myself to the original game's total of 39 unique characters... plus one, because I couldn't help myself, so yeah, a total of 40.

(Also, sorry if this counts as necroing! I'm gathering May isn't too far back to revive, but if it is, I deeply apologise.)

Returning Characters
Characters marked in green are returning with some minor changes.
Characters marked in yellow are recieving significant moveset overhauls.
Characters marked in red are not returning or are being outright replaced.
Characters marked in purple are all-new characters I'm suggesting.

#01: Mario
#02: Donkey Kong
#03: Link (Updated to his Twilight Princess design.)
#04: Samus (Updated to her Metroid Prime design. Samus is getting an overhaul to make her more agile, in keeping with the feel of the Metroid series.)
#05: Yoshi
#06: Kirby (Some of Kirby's moves are changed to more directly reference iconic Copy Abilities.)
#07: Fox (Updated to his Star Fox: Command design.)
#08: Pikachu
#09: Luigi (Further decloned from Mario, now featuring the Poltergust as a tether grab with a unique "vacuum" property.)
#10: Ness (Paula now appears alongside him to perform PK Fire, in reference to Ness's inability to perform the move in EarthBound. She and Poo appear alongside him during his Final Smash as well, helping him perform PK Starstorm. This is intended to represent the themes of friendship in the series.)
#11: Captain Falcon (Updated to his F-Zero GX design.)
#12: Jigglypuff
#13: Peach (Parasol is replaced with Perry the Parasol, from Super Princess Peach. Her Toad Counter is replaced with Toadsworth, but works the same.
#14: Bowser
#15: Ice Climbers (A.I. has been improved slightly, desyncing is a little easier to control. Wobbling, however, has been removed.)
#16: Sheik (Updated to their Twilight Princess concept art design. Still shares a roster slot with Zelda. Moveset is slightly tweaked to make transformation more useful - Sheik is made faster and lighter to faciltate this.)
#17: Zelda (Updated to her Twilight Princess design. Still shares a roster slot with Sheik. Moveset is slightly tweaked to make transformation more useful - Zelda has more powerful tools to facilitate this.)
#XX: Dr. Mario (A clone character doesn't really work here, even if I don't really have another puzzle game rep in mind.)
#XX: Pichu (I have other plans for the Pokémon series, so it doesn't really work in a roster of this size.)
#18: Falco (Updated to his Star Fox: Command design. Further decloned from Fox's moveset overall, though.)
#19: Marth (Updated to his Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon remake design. Otherwise, remains pretty similar.)
#XX: Young Link (Effectively replaced with Toon Link.)
#20: Ganondorf (Updated to his Twilight Princess design, with a completely fresh moveset inspired predominantly by that game as well as Ocarina of Time and, partially, the Spaceworld 2000 GameCube tech demo. He would fight predominantly using the Sword of the Six Sages and his magical power of darkness.)
#21: Mewtwo (Softened up a bit, and made a little less weird and janky in terms of moveset.)
#22: Roy (Further decloned from Marth in terms of pretty much everything, including a slightly different skeleton. He's more of his own character now.)
#23: Mr. Game & Watch (Has the feather removed on his Forward Smash for reasons of cultural sensitivity. Otherwise, remains the same.)

Brawl's Newcomers
#24: Meta Knight (Nerfed a little, but still a good inclusion.)
#25: Pit (In an all-new design, as though the Kid Icarus series had continued to this very day.)
#XX: Zero Suit Samus (Replaced with a different Metroid representative.)
#26: Wario (Predominantly based on the WarioWare series. Also, more visual cues for his Waft and Bike specials.)
#XX: Snake (A tough call, but I don't know if Snake is fitting for this game, even given the context behind his inclusion.)
#27: Ike
#28: Pokémon Trainer
-> #XX: Squirtle (Another tough call, but I think the Pokémon Trainer as a whole uses up too many spots to reasonably justify.)]
-> #XX: Ivysaur (Another tough call, but I think the Pokémon Trainer as a whole uses up too many spots to reasonably justify.)]
-> #28: Charizard (Charizard sticks around but now gets a down special. It's probably Rock Smash.)]
#29: Diddy Kong (& Dixie Kong! They now work as a duo fighter, a little like the Ice Climbers, but with their own unique abilities.)
#XX: Lucas (Doesn't really make sense in context, given MOTHER 3 never ended up getting localised.)
#30: Sonic (Gets more focus and development time, with his moveset predominantly being inspired by the Adventure, Advance, and Rush games, plus Battle for the sake of visual cohesion. Callbacks to his "classic" era will be found here and there, but he's predominantly based on "current" Sonic.)
#31: King Dedede
#32: Olimar (He only uses three Pikmin instead of five at a time for balancing reasons.)
#XX: Lucario (Functionally replaced with a different Pokémon.)
#33: R.O.B. (More of a clear visual cue for his up special, or at least making it more obvious.)
#34: Toon Link (Is effectively the replacement for Young Link - but his moveset is more closely inspired by Wind Waker as opposed to being a clone.)
#35: Wolf (Deliberately designed to be less similar to Fox and Falco, only having vague similarities as opposed to a near-identical conceptual moveset.)

My Newcomers
#36: Toad (A prominent, reoccuring Super Mario series character with plenty of appearances and potential! He'd predominantly fight using different items from the Super Mario series, such as the Propeller Mushroom from the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Hence why Toadsworth is now by Peach's side!)
#37: Piplup (A prominent Gen IV Pokémon that features heavily in the anime, also being a starter, and bringing the unique Water Type to the Smash series, Piplup works well in my mind as a potential inclusion. Imagine them being a little similar to Squirtle in that they're a lightweight water-type, but differing in terms of basic design and other such elements.)
#38: Dark Samus (A prominent and generally well-recieved "modern" Nintendo villain, as well as a second Metroid rep. Ridley might be seen by the developers as "too big" for the time being, but Dark Samus's Phazon abilities that we've already seen in Echoes would work well, and there could always be some invented additions. Dark Samus is, here at least, a fully unique character from Samus.)
#39: Sami (Representing a new series - the Wars franchise - Sami's a fan-favourite character from that series who could work pretty well in filling the basic "demolition man" concept that Snake had going on, whilst potentially also acting as a loose take on the summoner archetype by commanding different units to attack on her behalf.)
#40: Isaac (A popular fan request of the era, plus a magic user with plenty of potential, Issac's a swordfighter who prefers to be grounded where possible and focuses mainly on his powerful smash attacks that use his elemental abilities. Golden Sun was still in a decent state at around this time, so he makes sense to include.)

With this in mind, our roster now looks like:

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Marth
Ice Climbers
Luigi
Diddy & Dixie Kong
Zelda/Sheik
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Dark Samus
Roy
Mr. Game & Watch
Peach
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Meta Knight
Fox
Ike
R.O.B.
Toad
Wario
Toon Link
Charizard
Olimar
Falco
Isaac
Sonic
Bowser
Ness
Pit
Piplup
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Sami
Random

Honourable Mentions
#??: Sukapon (I really like Sukapon, and I'd totally have added them if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo apparently misplaced their paperwork indicating that they hold the rights to the Joy Mech Fight franchise. Or that there was literally no space for them.)
#??: Lip (I wanted a puzzle rep of some kind, and Lip came close to being considered... before I ultimately decided she didn't really have a place in the roster.)
#??: Midna & Wolf Link (Another one I considered, but felt to be unnecessary with the four we already have.)
#??: Pico (I genuinely considered him as a unique character, but couldn't reasonably justify a second F-Zero rep.)
#??: Geno (Even if he was considered and support was there for him, his rights being entangled with Square-Enix made him difficult to justify.)
#??: Deoxys (I considered them, but decided that the current swathe of Pokémon representation is pretty decent already.)

And quite a few more, ahaha!

I should of course make clear that this is presuming a lot of stuff goes slightly differently with Brawl's development - for instance, SEGA immediately allowing Sonic's use, documents being finalised on time, and crucial decisions made early in development so as to avoid developing for characters that, due to time constraints, later can't be included. It'd be difficult... but I think it'd be doable. Then again, I wasn't put in charge of Brawl's devlopment, probably with good reason. And it is about 5:30am here and I can't sleep, so if there's any mistakes... yeah, that's why.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Alright, time for me to redesign Brawl’s roster yet again, but this time, I’m going to do like KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and color code some of the characters.
Colors
  • Green means they’re staying
  • Red means they’re being cut / replaced
  • Yellow denotes replacements for the cut characters
  • Blue denotes brand new characters
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable characters
Canon characters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jigglypuff: This is assuming another character was part of the original 12 instead of Jigglypuff (who I see best as a Poké Ball summon)
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Ice Climbers
  • Zelda / Sheik
  • Dr. Mario: Basically, a character with no reason to be a playable character at all, clone or otherwise. I’d just not include him in Melee at all
  • Pichu: A bit more justified than Dr. Mario as a clone, but I’m still cutting it from the series altogether
  • Falco
  • Marth
  • Young Link: Same reason as Dr. Mario and Pichu
  • Ganondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Roy: Similar to Jigglypuff, I’m pretending Roy never got in Melee
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Meta Knight
  • Pit
  • Wario
  • Snake
  • Ike
  • Pokémon Trainer: This is more of a gray area; the Trainer himself is staying, but Squirtle and Ivysaur are being replaced by starters from other generations.
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucas
  • Sonic
  • King Dedede
  • Olimar
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B.
  • Toon Link: Again, similar to the other clones I axed, Toon Link is being replaced as well.
  • Wolf
Characters that stay
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Peach
  13. Bowser
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Zelda / Sheik
  16. Falco
  17. Marth
  18. Ganondorf
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Mr. Game & Watch
  21. Meta Knight
  22. Pit
  23. Wario
  24. Snake
  25. Ike
  26. Pokémon Trainer
  27. Diddy Kong
  28. Lucas
  29. Sonic
  30. King Dedede
  31. Olimar
  32. Lucario
  33. R.O.B.
  34. Wolf
Newcomers
  • Meowth: My idea of Jigglypuff’s replacement. With how much more recurring Meowth is, I will always maintain that he should’ve been part of the original 12.
  • Lyn: Basically, the Elibe rep of Brawl, as she was the first Lord introduced in FE7, the first Fire Emblem game released in the West
  • Pokémon Trainer’s team is now Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard for the sake of staying true to the “evolution stages” idea Sakurai had while representing other generations
  • Tetra: The Wind Waker rep of Brawl
  • Dixie Kong: She was planned to be in a tag team with Diddy, but that didn’t work out, so I decided to include her as a semi-clone of Diddy instead
  • Plusle & Minun: Rumored to be one of the possible “pra_mai” characters. I figured Plusle and Minun would be the best-case scenario for this code name, so I decided to include them as a tag team who act as spiritual successors to Pichu’s moveset.
  • Isaac: One of the Assist Trophies of Brawl is now a playable character; with how much of a cult classic Golden Sun is, I wanted to throw its fans a bone, even as someone who’s never played it
  • DeMille: This was a character I threw in out of self-indulgence, but he did appear twice on a character poll Sakurai held before Brawl, so DeMille has at least a bit of justification for my inclusion of him here.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Tetra
Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Pikachu
Meowth
Mewtwo
Pokémon Trainer
Plusle & Minun
Lucario
Ness
Lucas
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Marth
Lyn
Ike
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
Olimar
Isaac
DeMille
R.O.B.
Snake
Sonic
RANDOM​

Starting roster
Mario​
Peach​
Bowser​
Yoshi​
Wario​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Pokémon Trainer​
Plusle & Minun​
Lucas​
Ice Climbers​
Lyn​
Ike​
Pit​
Olimar​
Snake​
RANDOM​
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Meowth
  13. Peach
  14. Bowser
  15. Ice Climbers
  16. Zelda
  17. Sheik
  18. Falco
  19. Marth
  20. Ganondorf
  21. Mewtwo
  22. Mr. Game & Watch
  23. Meta Knight
  24. Lyn
  25. Pit
  26. Plusle & Minun
  27. Snake
  28. Zero Suit Samus
  29. Wario
  30. Ike
  31. Totodile
  32. Grovyle
  33. Charizard
  34. Diddy Kong
    • 34ε. Dixie Kong
  35. Lucas
  36. Sonic
  37. King Dedede
  38. Olimar
  39. Tetra
  40. Lucario
  41. Isaac
  42. DeMille
  43. R.O.B.
  44. Wolf

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I actually think Brawl's roster is one of the best in the series for its time. The only major change that stands out to me is having a different semi-clone instead of Toon Link (maybe Black Shadow).

Other than that you can maybe make an argument to take advantage of the current relevance of series like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc. & maybe have them take a spot from Earthbound or retro reps but i feel like thats one of those things thats easier to say with hindsight.

I guess having the time to add a more unique Krystal over Wolf would be cool too & Animal Crossing seems like an odd exclusion for the roster imo although im still happy with the representation it did get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom