• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Your Own Falco

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Rate Your Own Falco!

Take the courageous leap like old Falco has here!

A neat thing I've seen on other character boards that I thought might be nice here. Discuss where you think YOU are with your Falco at this present time. Give a score out of 10 or if you don't think you can rate just talk about what you can do well and where you think you could improve. It'd be nice to see where we're all at, and perhaps gauge everyone's progress, so yeah, go ahead and don't worry about rating your Falco highly if you really do believe he's at that level. We're here to honestly gauge our level of progress after all.

*Pew pew* Over to you guys!

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
It's hard to rate using X/10 when you don't really know what each value is. Is 10/10 the "perfect" Falco or just the best Falco? N'awmean?

I think I'm pretty mediocre as far as Falco's go. Not necessarily because I'm bad with Falco, but because I have bad habits in general. I can do most of the important techniques (except RBPG . . . I don't know why) but implementing them into a game is different for me. When I'm thinking I can do pretty well, but the problem is I go into "autopilot" pretty often. It's like in other fighting games when you're trying to pull off a super but it doesn't come out, rather than just moving on you forget you're in a match and you keep trying to do the super as if you have something to prove to yourself. Yeah. I'm that guy. But once I can settle down and just think, "I don't have to do this super. I can beat this guy without it."

I have the same troubles a lot of Falco's have. I'm good at racking up damage, but killing eludes me because a.) my Bair is staled and b.) I get too aggressive.

I also don't follow up on attacks enough. I'll never have enough clips to make a combo video :(

So uhhh . . . I'll set the bar! I give myself 5.5/10. It's a bit lower than what I really think, but honestly I don't have enough tournament experience to rate myself higher. I'm leaving room for improvement >_>

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
1-2 Never really played falco
3-4 Played falco a few times, still not excellent
5-6 Your average everyday falco, not quite manages to apply AT's
7-8 A falco that gets pretty far in a tournament, knows the tricks of falco
9-10 Did you seriously rate yourself this?

something like that?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just say 10 is DEHF's level.

1 is a Falco that lasers on the ground and doesn't know what tilts and aerials are.

5: Can use all of Falco's ATs, but still ends up losing to most competitive players.

Something like that.

Gawd you make this so difficult.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I'm one of the best Falco players (not the best, however) in the Southwest.

That said, with Seth quitting and there only being other 3 Falcos that I know to be of any quality*** (CY/Ozz/Typ_Ex)...I don't have a lot of competition, so this statement doesn't really hold a lot of meaning, I'd suppose.

***No offense if I don't know you, it doesn't mean you suck or anything. You probably have no idea who I am either.

THE BAD

As far as flaws I see in myself, my laser game needs work. It is good, but I don't maneuver enough whilst lasering and consequently I get punished for having predictable movement patterns (I think a lot of us do this). Also sometimes my lasers aren't accurate, are shot at bad times, and I mess up my in-air turn around lasers (side-b suicides, anyone?).

I don't fast fall my nairs enough when I need to. Against my roommates Marth this usually saves me from eating a Dancing Blade. But sometimes I fail to FF the nair and eat one.

I dair shields as a crossover and follow up with an uptilt too often and I get predictable. However it seems that a lot of people constantly fail to punish this. But having predictable patterns is never good. However this is a good mix-up, especially after forcing someone to shield a lot with lasers.

After I land my utilt I don't read air dodges, I just jump at them and use an aerial. This is stupid.

My recovery, despite improving a ridiculous amount here recently, still could use some a little work.

My DI isn't great when I get hit with certain moves that are really fast - like MK's dsmash. I need to get the twitch reaction down.

THE GOOD

I wall-jump like a beast. Haha.

Umm, I have a really versatile game; I feel as if I utilize Falco's moveset really well.

I feel like (here recently) I recover very smart and safe.

I feel like I know when to camp and when to turn it on. When do go for combos, when to chase, when to retreat, etc. However, I think my execution is a little off on occasion.

I'm good at a lot of Falco's bad matchups (Marth/GDub, particularly) - except ICs...eff that matchup. In fact, eff that character. (No Johns.)

I'm done for now.

I guess I'm an 7 or 8 (approx 7.4326). There is always room for improvement, I'm happy with the way my game is progressing.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I'm an 8/10

1 Point lost for falling victim to certain match-ups repeatedly (IC's namely).

1 Point lost for choking up/getting predictable near end of matches (My main weakness :[).

Vlade

Social Outcast
6 or 7/10

I need to improve my close-up game, which Kismet has been helping me with recently. I also need to stop relying on IAP as a spacing tool, since it should be used as a punishing tool instead. Furthermore I make some obvious recovery methods, therefore I get punished for phantasming onto the stage.

My worst match-ups are: Kirby, Olimar, Marth, Luigi and Toon Link. I don't have trouble with scrub toon links though, but then again I don't have trouble with any scrubs :p

Airborne

Smash Lord
imma rate myself a 2. i gave up on falco back in september to main yoshi and managed to far surpass my expectations in tournaments, but i never got a niche back in falco. now i want to second/double main him once again and i need uber assistance. -.-

Sukai

Smash Champion
I say a healthy 7.
I play a huge yet impractical baiting game, I kill just fine, mix up recoveries, decent grab game.
My biggest set back is I don't short hop laser as much as I should.
I can't rely on myself buffering from the laser right, I'm too inconsistent with it.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
5/10

I play falco too much like I play Marth and I need to keep reminding myself:

Marth's Fair > life > dirt > Falco's Fair
and
Falco's Bair> Marth's Bair

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Ok, time for a little self-analysis.

The Good Stuff:
I tend to be smarter than the average bear when it comes to the OverB (so i'm told), and my laser game is (so i'm told) very good. I am decently polished in the ATs I guess, I can do them any time alright. I take pride in being a more aggressive Falco (so I'm told, and that makes me feel all good inside); I tend to not resort to SHLing and SHDLing like a madman on one side of the stage, then OverB to the other side and repeat until I am completely certain that that is the only option left, cuz I hate being campy. I do half decent in tournaments, usually a consistent "just under the place where I get cash" spot :(.

The Bad Stuff:
I need to work on my Smash DI/DIing; I can do it, but I tend to do it the wrong ways in matches, and I need to get smarter there. I also am a little bit predictable when trying to get back on stage after being hit off. Other than that, I guess I just need to polish my mindgames and killing ability.

Location: Northeast PA (just to show that i'm in an area of slight skill :bee:)

People I Practice/Play With Often: (for show of proper practice people, I guess...)

Umbra - MK
Pav - Wolf
Javi - ICs/G-Dubbs
Kadiev (less often, but yeah) - ZSS/Snake
Prodigy (same as Kadiev) - Falco/Luigi

FINAL ANALYSIS

I guess I'm a 6.5 or 7

Glad I got the chance to look at my own abilities, then share them with you in a 5 minute span of typing. See ya!

thkthebest

Smash Rookie
Lol. Yea, SH should be no problem. The only time I mess up on a SH is when I don't care about the match (as in huge lead because my opponent sucks to the point that my brain is practically lulled).

I would probably rate myself between 6 and 7.

- I feel as if my mindgames are good. At the very least, I'm not very predictable since I'm able to adjust when something isn't working.
- Landing a kill move usually isn't a problem to me, although I do every once in a while it gets annoying.
- I can SHDL and SHL, but I'm still not that comfortable with my laser game. When I watched Sethlon's match (he made me want to be Falco), the laser game just seemed so fluid and smooth. When I do it, it just seems like I do it just to do it. You can tell that I haven't mixed it with my game that well yet.
- I can do DACUS/Boost Smash and smash/CG to spike/etc. However, I still can't consistently lengthen/shorten my Illusion.
- Camping is my favorite way of playing with Falco. Lol. There's nothing better than talking trash, camping, and witnessing your opponents getting angry.
- DI/SDI could use some work. Seeing some players stay alive to crazy percentages...yea, I need to be like that.

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
I am a six maybe seven. for a falco i am too aggressive and dont camp enough i am good with my lasers and defidently got the ATs down'.

as a lot said there is always room for improvement. and failure is always an option. lol

ftl

Smash Journeyman
3 :( I played at a tournament recently and got ***** lots :( would've been a 4 last month, but I've gone downhill trying to find a secondary to deal with ICs. I can lasergame/IAP fine though my positioning for camping tends to be on the side. That's really all I've got, I'm a pretty sucky local falco :(

Blahblahwutever

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. i'd probably give my own falco a 7/10. i usually use bair for combos . i also cg to usmash to full hop bair . oh, and do u guys think sh side b is an ok approach on some chars?

EDIT:i suck at shdl but im fine at shl so im a 7/10

P.S. i joined yesterday:)

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Sup guise. I'm in YOUR house now, Teran, lol. I just picked up Falco today =3. My character choice is pretty hit-or-miss, but Falco seems to work for me. I'd say 6. I oughta play you some time.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I dunno. i'd probably give my own falco a 7/10. i usually use bair for combos . i also cg to usmash to full hop bair . oh, and do u guys think sh side b is an ok approach on some chars?

Indeed... 7/10... lol

And hey LOTM, so you're in our territory now huh? I'd like to see what you can do one day, lol.

wangston

Smash Lord
3. When the game is on the line and it really counts I fail. I'm far to aggressive. I can rack on 80+% damage like it was nothing and not take a single hit but then it comes time to kill the opponent I can't land a kill move. I don't use enough lasers. I also can only play at a really fast pace, I can't stand playing matches that last 5+mins, if my opponent slows down the pace i'm in trouble.

clowsui

Smash Legend
3. When the game is on the line and it really counts I fail. I'm far to aggressive. I can rack on 80+% damage like it was nothing and not take a single hit but then it comes time to kill the opponent I can't land a kill move. I don't use enough lasers. I also can only play at a really fast pace, I can't stand playing matches that last 5+mins, if my opponent slows down the pace i'm in trouble.
Winning strategy against Wangston GET!

I'll be taking your money in our MM at the next tourney we meet :)

kismet2

Smash Ace

Usmash to Bair doesn't combo. Regardless of who your opponent uses, if they don't punish your phantasm at all, then just keep spamming it if you want. If they know how to break it, then try to use it often.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It looks like a lot of people are over rating themselves, to be honest.

I might be a 6.5 or 7 though.

Vlade

Social Outcast
It looks like a lot of people are over rating themselves, to be honest.
Definitely. But this is to track your own personal progress so it's not really our business if someone overrates themself. They're only 'cheating' themselves.

I also find it funny that good players underrate themselves :p (Wangston: 3 = Bull**** most likely :p)

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
Definitely. But this is to track your own personal progress so it's not really our business if someone overrates themself. They're only 'cheating' themselves.

I also find it funny that good players underrate themselves :p (Wangston: 3 = Bull**** most likely :p)
Well i noticed most people who rated themselves below a 5 rated themselves that way cause they don't follow the "typical" falco. I considered satirizing myself on this thread and would have rated myself a 0. But i refrained from doing that. I say 0 cause i shoot <3 lasers a game. Ask Gmo all about it, tee hee.

wangston

Smash Lord
i really depends on the day. If were using a scale of 10 and dehf was a 9. I think I would be a 7 on my good days.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
i really depends on the day. If were using a scale of 10 and dehf was a 9. I think I would be a 7 on my good days.
I agree, I have my days where i'm an 8.5 it seems. Although, I can't really say that because I don't play many good players (besides on wifi, and that's a joke).

I know I'm good, but definitely can improve. It gets frustrating seeing and finding new things to add into your game, only to replace a previous strategy/technique. It's a loop in most cases. But once I can apply all of them at the right time, I know I'm playing my best.

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
continuing with my post lol

too much shine,not enought nair, need to use dsmash instead of utilt in some situations, more spotdodging, less trying to counter attack after being sent a medium didstance lol

Top Bottom