• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That was a beautiful trailer. It really felt like a send-off to Ultimate. I practically lost my **** when I saw that Mickey Mouse keychain. And then Sora just casually flew in and around the place. It's simple, but oh so effective. I really dig his moveset and I think I'll have a blast playing as him. The stage looks great too. Overall Sora is just a top tier choice, he's not one of my most wanted but there's no way that you can be mad with Sora. I played a good amount of the first Kingdom Hearts and I plan on finishing it soon now. He's just a great choice all around and there was a lot of love put into his content and into the presentation.

Oh yeah, and DOOM SLAYER MII COSTUME!! Heck Yeah!! I love it!

The only gripes I have are no Simple and Clean and it's weird that Sakurai held off on showing Sora's final smash until the end. He acted like it was going to be something special, like it having Mickey Mouse or something. It's just a odd thing I noticed.

But yeah, I'm very happy, especially since Ultimate ended off with such an amazing finale.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So if you had asked me my least wanted character just yesterday, I'd probably tell you Sora. Or at least mention him alongside a few other names. Bottom line, I really didn't want Sora in the game. Kingdom Hearts has always come off as very corny for me and Sora himself was just not the kind of character I vibe with.

But believe it or not, warming up to this addition has been very easy. It's obvious that Sakurai was incredibly happy to make this dream a reality, probably the most happy I've seen him in any of these presentations yet. And Sora being just like, straight up statistically the most wanted character in the Ballot gives this reveal a great sense of finality. The trailer is excellent and Sora looks like a lot of fun to use. I love the emphasis on Sora's aerials, designing him specifically around multi-hit aerial combos and offstage play is the perfect way to do it. His animations look fantastic and so do his alternate costumes - I especially love that rubber hose looking one. As is almost always the case with Smash, the amount of polish and effort put into Sora is phenomenal. It's no surprise almost every character wins me over one way or another, regardless of how much I care about them.

So despite my longstanding feelings toward the character, I can humble myself and admit that they did a great job. Sora really is the biggest way they could have capped things off, and I'm happy that thousands of people finally got their dream character in Smash. Am I a bit jealous that I didn't get to experience that feelings with our DLC lineup? Sure, but all things considered I think we've got a great roster capped off with what is pretty much a miracle of a character.

It's very bittersweet and it's sad to look back on all the missed opportunities and characters who would have made ME jump out of my seat and cry tears of joy, but it's easy for me to be happy for everyone who got that chance today and to appreciate everything these last like, 8 years have given us. From Mega Man to Sora, it's been one hell of a ride.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’ve tried to play kingdom hearts games on several occasions and each time I walked away feeling very uninterested and unable to call the games good or fun. That being said, I’m very underwhelmed by today’s reveal. As soon as that fireball turned into a key blade the heart rate dropped and the remainder of the video I was mentally checked out. I’m glad there are a lot of people excited and pumped for Sora but I can’t make myself care at all. Huge letdown for me. Ultimate ends with a wet thud.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Now that I've calmed down a bit, I think I can post my thoughts on Sora.

Holy cow that trailer. Probably the second best trailer for all of Ultimate's DLC, losing only to Sephiroth. I will admit, I kinda got choked up hearing Simple and Clean start up and seeing Sora flying around. Nearly had me screaming my lungs out at work! I've never completed a Kingdom Hearts game, but I was still very excited to see him and the fireworks around his reveal. All in all, I'm happy to see him finally make it.

As an aside, I'm also very happy Doom Slayer made it, even if only as a Mii Costume.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I mean, come the **** on.

Satisfaction: 100%

Literally all I wanted was to see Sakurai do his thing one last time, whether we got one of my personal favorites like Isaac, a big blow out like Master Chief, or a Nintendo shill like Cinderace. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he will put his heart and soul into every character he adds and I had complete faith that he would deliver once again for CP11.

But what we got was way beyond my expectations…

When that trailer started and all of the fighters were staring at the flaming logo…I knew that this was gonna be special. This wasn’t just any fighter who just so happened to be the finale, but rather, this was a character specifically intended to close things off from the start. The tension was so real. My mind immediately went to Tabuu - the trophies, all the fighters together, rounding off Smash with a Smash character, etc. and while that’s not something I would personally hope for, it would be a fitting finale.

The trailer continued very slowly, as my mind raced at lighting speed. Master Chief? Sora? Crash? Dark Souls!? Then that damn Mickey Mouse logo appeared…holy **** they did it.

When I say that I had the goofiest smile on my face and full body chills for an entire minute, I am not kidding. I’ve never even played Kingdom Hearts! But with a build-up like that, any character would have been glorious. Then Sakurai clarified that yes, this was indeed the most requested Smash character ever.

That beautiful reveal, coupled with the fact that Sora is such an amazing crowd pleaser already makes this the best finale that you could possibly ask for. He could play like ****, have a bland and boring stage, and absolutely zero music tracks and would still be a mind-blowing addition to Smash.

But he actually looks really fun! I have absolutely no problem with the excessively unique characters that we’ve gotten. I like how Min Min feels as though she was plucked straight out of ARMS, I like that Kazuya comes with five hundred attacks, I like that Steve both mines and crafts. However, making Sora a relatively simple character was absolutely the right call. Kingdom Hearts has incredibly broad casual appeal, so making Sora easily accessible was really smart. He has an effective recovery, a straight forward counter, and a fun little projectile that comes with its own unique gimmick. I’m sure that he’ll be really popular and I’m personally very excited to try him out!

On top of that, the music is great and the stage is magnificent.

One of the reasons I was never super into the idea of Sora is because of all the Disney mumbo jumbo. I’ve heard many KH fans claim that Sora could easily come without any Disney references and others claim that you need the Disney references to do him justice. I wasn’t sure who to believe, but I know that I’m personally not into the idea of having a bunch of Mickey Mouse characters in Smash. I like Disney characters as much as the next guy, but the moment Donald Duck appears in a Smash game, is the moment the Goku requests increase by 10000%. I am very happy that Sakurai chose to leave out all of those Disney character, sticking to his guns by only allowing video game originated characters in Smash. Again, I’m not a KH fan, but I feel that Sora and the surrounding content that came alongside him is more than enough to justify his inclusion, even though we’re missing half of what makes KH special.

Oh yeah the alt costumes! Easily one of the best sets of alts in the entire game. I love the variety of renders, and the Steamboat Willie lookin’ alt is * chef’s kiss. *

Yeah I’m over the moon with this inclusion. Super happy for all the KH fans out there and so so so happy that Sakurai was able to not only stick the landing with Ultimate, but also end things off with a bang. Best game. Best man. #ThankYouSakurai

Maybe I should play Kingdom Hearts…

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sora was my partner's most-wanted. He's been their most-wanted for years and years, and when we binged all the games together last year Sora crept up as one of mine too. Maybe not one of my special faves, or so I thought, but considering his popularity he was an impossible pick I knew would be perfect to close out Ultimate. I just never thought it would happen.

I've always been a defender of Bayonetta's ballot placement when accompanied by the caveats given by Sakurai and the Smash team. It made sense that she'd have an initial burst and being a low-cost but still popular character she'd be considered realizable, with the veterans, non-game characters, and probably Sora above her. The reveal that Sora was as I always thought the most requested character was wonderful closure on this whole era and again something that makes perfect sense. We really can't say he never listened to the ballot now, huh? :4pacman:

I was fully prepared for the final character to be Octoling or Cinderace, which is part of why it was so funny that Octoling got a costume immediately. The Doomguy costume was awesome, too, with Sakurai joking about Doom incredibly fun. I love seeing Sakurai do his thing. I briefly wondered during the trailer if it was Master Hand or Tabuu, or even Geno because of the lone spark, as irrational as that was. The moment we saw the Mickey keychain we lost our minds, eventually devolving into high pitched sobbing as we held each other. I haven't felt this way since Joker, and even if Joker was more immediately "wanted" for me, this got the biggest possible reaction out of me. Not only did we get THE hype bomb to end all hype bombs, someone I love got THEIR most-wanted. It was unreal. I actually recorded our reaction and it really is just ugly sobbing until Sora's tagline. And what a tagline it is! Playing off of "Everyone Is Here" because it really is a miracle that Sora is here.

The alts are astounding, too - my favorite KH2 world gets an adorable costume all to itself! I love it. And the stage is so amazing, so nostalgic because I could recognize every part of Hollow Bastion and when I realized it turns into Dive Into The Heart it became the stage I always wanted with Sora. It's so cool seeing some of my favorite KH characters make it in, like Roxas and Aqua, in their own ways.

I just can't get over that he's in. Sakurai truly did the impossible and moved mountains to create the most amazing ending for so many people. The shot of Mario and Sora shaking hands while the whole cast and the Smash logo is behind him is just utterly unreal and makes me cry all over again. The entirety of Ultimate has been a beautiful, emotional ride, one that has helped me through some of my toughest and darkest times, and while I'm going to miss it dearly I can't help but be satisfied in the end. This is a game that added Castlevania, Persona, Tekken, Fatal Fury, and Kingdom Hearts, to say nothing of all the other great characters, spirit events, costumes, and other series'. Travis Touchdown actually got in as a costume and spirit! Not bad for a series I've been championing for over a decade.

I don't want to think about Smash 6 yet, not til it's announced. Right now I want to look back fondly at something that meant the world to me and in the end...we'll always have this shining, beautiful beacon of a game to actually play, and I can't wait to get through all the Classic modes and have a good time.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Anyway, Sora's neat. Happy for his fans. Seems alot of love was put in it. I have no attachment to him, would've preferred somebody else and I'm not even sure I'll buy him but it's all fine. Everything else I have mixed feelings about. First of, that stage looks so boring. Yeah it looks pretty but the layout is so generic, basically just FD with a platform. It would've been so much more interesting as a traveling stage. I get that they would want to keep it sorta competitive friendly but I thought that was what Omega/Battlefield stages and hazard toggle were for. They could've made something more imaginitive while still keeping the stage from being to chaotic, I feel. Probably an issue I have with most of the DLC stages, it feels like they're afraid to go all out with them, you know?

Kingdom Hearts games on Switch were exciting for a second untill they were confirmed to be cloud versions, despite that the Switch should be able to handle all games besides III no problem. C'mon that's such a big monkey's paw. We keep getting more and more of these cloud versions of otherwise hype games on Switch and I'm not a fan.

Also kinda weird that we only ended of with 3 Mii costumes or more accurately 2 hats and a costume. The quantity of those things really declined in the end, didn't they. I still remember when we got 6 costumes with Steve.

Finally that sendoff felt kinda low-key? Felt really casual and like it was less of a big deal than Smash 4's DLC ending. Sakurai does not say a word about where the series goes from here or what he'll be doing now that he's done with Ultimate. Definitely nothing about him retiring. Maybe it's just me but perhaps there's something he's not telling us? I don't know, maybe Sakurai himself doesn't know either and I of course accept that there's no Volume 3, Sakurai deserves a break and nothing Smash related is coming for the next few years... yet I also wouldn't be suprised if he and the series returns sooner than we think... Please say it to me if I'm looking too deep into things.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely loved that trailer. Phoenix Wright and Sora were both my most wanted characters after Banjo got in. A little sad no Phoenix mii costume but I am so happy about Sora. That trailer really felt like a book end for the game. The gameplay trailer at the end with all the Nintendo worlds flashing behind Sora at that one part I think just showcases how perfect of a final character he is. The character that himself travels to different worlds and crossovers closing out the huge crossover game. My only real small complaints are that the mii wave was extremely small for being the final one and of course no Simple and Clean (not even the orchestral version in the trailer). Those are only small gripes, what an amazing ending to an amazing game.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Soras neat I guess. I appreciate them making a big moment of the end but it fell a little flat on me. That said, I really appreciate the games coming to switch, TAKE NOTES Joker and Kazuya

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The Final Reactions

I'm surprised that there were so few Miis. I'm glad that Doomguy got something after he was on the speculation journey for so long.

Let me get this out of the way first. My most wanted has been denied to me for 5 times now and he is never going to be in Ultimate now and that makes me very sad. I am also not a big KH fan, so while I understand and respect people's excitement, I can't join in. I will absolutely applaud Sakurai/Nintendo for going through with the legal hell to make this a reality. So I'm not mad, just sad.

However watching the presentation a few times, I'm kind of unimpressed. His moveset doesn't seem that unique compared to other characters especially other RPG characters, it's very been there done that. He even has a Down B counter, and not even a cool one like Incineroar or Bayonetta.

The stage is great. and I like that it's simple layout makes it tourney legal so I might get to play it every now and then.

However I knew music was going to be iffy. KH music is great regardless but I'm a little disappointed with the low number of songs chosen, and with no remixes. However I think it's incredibly scummy to hide a 10th track behind save data of another game. One that wasn't that good from what I've heard.

Also Cloud versions of the KH series!? I can understand 3, but the other packs absolutely could've been ports.

All in all, if I was a Sora fan, 100%. As someone who is not, 80%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright fellas time for you know what

...Calcs. I'm talking about calcs. The last 19 calcs of Ultimate speculation, to be precise. Here we go!

Boss: Ender Dragon
0.00% Chance - 45.00% Want
This is obviously the lowest chance score possible, making Ender Dragon the least likely boss and putting it in the exclusive company of Brash the Bear, Unsafe Wiimote Guy, Peppino, and Echo (Bowser).

Mii Costume: Alex Kidd
7.00% Chance - 44.29% Want
This costume had its chance score inflated by a single 30% rating (that was me, heh). Without it it would be 4.70%
Alex is now the least likely Mii Costume, tied with Monika, and also the second least wanted.

Sam Fisher
3.33% Chance - 58.67% Want

Mii Costume: Monika
7.00% Chance - 30.00% Want
Monika is now the least likely Mii Costume, tied with Alex Kidd, and also the least wanted.

Stage: Tetris
6.18% Chance - 95.00% Want
This stage's chance score is biased because of one 25% rating (second highest is 5%). Remove it and you get 2.42%
This score still makes it the likeliest stage we've rated, dethroning Bowser's Castle. However it can't manage to dethrone it in want, having to settle for only the second highest want score ever (and, paradoxically, the least wanted stage as well).

Sukapon
0.44% Chance - 40.00% Want

Gene
1.30% Chance - 55.00% Want
Last time we rated him he got 1.84% chance and 22.08% want. Gene's want benefited mostly from people abstaining (and dunking on poor Sukapon instead)

Lugia
0.13% Chance - 36.14% Want
Lugia became the fourth least likely first party.

Agumon
3.59% Chance - 65.83% Want
First time we rated him he got 22.17% chance and 56.29% want. Last time he got 15.91% chance and 58.10% want. The difference between three scores is that the second one happened after Bandai Namco started bringing all their Miis back and the third happened after, you know, a Bandai Namco character. But want is growing steadily.

Legends Trainer
4.20% Chance - 44.63% Want

Concept: Dynasty Warriors character
13.00% Chance - 70.00% Want

Eggman
10.43% Chance - 67.86% Want
First time we rated him he got 17.40% chance and 76.28% want. Last time he got 23.82% chance and 69.23% want. You can see the Sephiroth effect come into play and then die out as the backlash took hold.

Penny Crygor
1.83% Chance - 50.00% Want

D.Va
0.71% Chance - 16.00% Want

Captain Charlie
2.00% Chance - 25.83% Want

Kraid
3.50% Chance - 40.00% Want

Joe Random
0.17% Chance - 25.00% Want
Joe earns the honor of being the fourth least likely third party.

Concept: Crazy Taxi character
0.22% Chance - 34.00% Want
This is now the second least likely concept.

And of course

Sora

20.00% Chance - 65.78% Want
We have him a 1 in 4 chance. That's not bad, hell, it was the second highest chance score for a character since E3! (The highest was Phoenix, by the way) In spite of how unexpected it was, we weren't that far from the mark.

Below are the scores of his various rerates:
I. 15.87% - 38.64%
II. 7.32% - 47.47%
III. 39.40% - 63.67%
IV. 40.58% - 54.44%
V. 34.78% - 68.38%
VI. 14.44% - 70.00%
I wonder, how different would these have been had we known he was the ballot winner?

Aside from Sora, we also confirmed Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020), thanks to Melody of Memory's rendition of Dearly Beloved. This got 52.53% chance (highly expected, good job) and 48.89% (mixed reception, probably people not very much into promotion).

Other than that, well, I won't be listing what's disconfirmed since that would be everything else... almost. There is Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass (66.33% - 70.00%). We have no word on this so it could go either way. However, it's worth pointing out that the count of all the content in Ultimate had an "as of this date" disclaimer, so it's possible they're planning more content and Spirit Events are the obvious conclusion.

Oh, and back to calcs for a bit. To Boss: Ender Dragon, Sam Fisher, Sukapon, Gene, Lugia, Agumon, Penny Crygor, D.Va, Captain Charlie, Kraid, Joe Random, and Crazy Taxi character: Welcome to the Less Likely Than Goku club! Though, now that we have a Disney character in Smash, does that mean anything? Is anything impossible anymore...?

--

Now, it's time for me to go. I'm signing off Smashboards. It's been a good run but it had to end at some point, I don't want to stay on until Smash 6 rolls around and, well, this is as good a place as any to get off the train. I'll be back on Sora's satisfaction day to say my piece but other than that, this is farewell GoodGrief.

I can't put into words how grateful I am to this thread's existence, but I'll try anyway. Back in November 1st 2018, I was having a real rough time. I believed the Grinch leak and liked what it peddled, so when the presentation rolled around and instead we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant (two fighters I still think are, along with Corrin, the worst inclusions to Smash ever), it hit hard. I was frustrated and didn't really know what to do, what to speculate about, what to predict, I didn't even care. Smash sucked and was going to continue to suck, so why bother, right? I was ready to drop out of Smashboards and speculation and stop caring, maybe not even buy the DLC.

What stopped me? Well, it was RTC. Not necessarily the fun of the game; at that point I really wasn't having fun with anything speculation related, and I was abstaining on chance. What kept me on this thread, and therefore the forum at large, was my duty towards the thread. I had a big responsibility – I'm the nominations guy! Without nominations there's no schedule; earning nominations is the reward of partaking in RTC, and without a reward, there's no game. So I stuck around, because I might be many things, but one thing I'm not is extroverted enough to ask for someone else to do stuff I've agreed to do, dammit.

And so came Joker, who was precisely the character I needed. I had played and loved Persona 5, as had many of my irl friends I had introduced to the series, and we all got to watch that reveal live at TGA. And then I got to come here and experience what it was like to be hyped with the community again. It wasn't K. Rool but by Jove it was enough. And that snowballed into 3 years. If it hadn't been for this thread I'd have missed out on three slow and crazy years of speculation. But instead I got to defend the merits of Dragon Quest and watch it pay off wonderfully. I got to argue, pointlessly in the end, how Spring Man and Ribbon Girl and Ninjara and Min Min could all be alts of one another. I got to give 100% chance scores to Ryu Hayabusa and Isaac and Rex and then watch none of them get in. I got to see so many stupid phony leaks. I got to see Sephiroth bring despair to everyone in the best way. And I got to see what the world looks like when finally, a pair of buddies get to come home, and a clown-shoed doofus unlocks the final world to visit.

And beyond that, holy **** there's more beyond that. There were so many Directs, including one I can't forget in which Advance Wars returned and Dread became real. I took part in some amazingly creative forum games, roster projects that would put real devs to shame. I made a few movesets that I'm really proud of, made me realize that maybe I can do more than just pitch characters. The entire speculation for base game Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl came and went. I made two threads with so much effort and dedication because I feared (still do) that I might not be good enough for the characters' fans. And I got to meet and talk to and listen to so many wonderful people, on this thread and on others. There are no words. I know many will read this, and many won't because they moved on already or because they frequent other threads. And I won't tag because that would be too many people, and because I'd hate to forget someone and make them feel unimportant. So I'll just put the thought out into the world: you rock. Keep being you and best of luck in life.

I think that's all I needed to say. So, once more: farewell everyone!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

...Calcs. I'm talking about calcs. The last 19 calcs of Ultimate speculation, to be precise. Here we go!

This is obviously the lowest chance score possible, making Ender Dragon the least likely boss and putting it in the exclusive company of Brash the Bear, Unsafe Wiimote Guy, Peppino, and Echo (Bowser).

This costume had its chance score inflated by a single 30% rating (that was me, heh). Without it it would be 4.70%
Alex is now the least likely Mii Costume, tied with Monika, and also the second least wanted.

Sam Fisher

Monika is now the least likely Mii Costume, tied with Alex Kidd, and also the least wanted.

This stage's chance score is biased because of one 25% rating (second highest is 5%). Remove it and you get 2.42%
This score still makes it the likeliest stage we've rated, dethroning Bowser's Castle. However it can't manage to dethrone it in want, having to settle for only the second highest want score ever (and, paradoxically, the least wanted stage as well).

Sukapon

Gene
Last time we rated him he got 1.84% chance and 22.08% want. Gene's want benefited mostly from people abstaining (and dunking on poor Sukapon instead)

Lugia

Agumon
First time we rated him he got 22.17% chance and 56.29% want. Last time he got 15.91% chance and 58.10% want. The difference between three scores is that the second one happened after Bandai Namco started bringing all their Miis back and the third happened after, you know, a Bandai Namco character. But want is growing steadily.

Legends Trainer

Eggman
First time we rated him he got 17.40% chance and 76.28% want. Last time he got 23.82% chance and 69.23% want. You can see the Sephiroth effect come into play and then die out as the backlash took hold.

Penny Crygor

D.Va

Captain Charlie

Kraid

Joe Random

And of course

Sora

We have him a 1 in 4 chance. That's not bad, hell, it was the second highest chance score for a character since E3! (The highest was Phoenix, by the way) In spite of how unexpected it was, we weren't that far from the mark.

I. 15.87% - 38.64%
II. 7.32% - 47.47%
III. 39.40% - 63.67%
IV. 40.58% - 54.44%
V. 34.78% - 68.38%
VI. 14.44% - 70.00%
I wonder, how different would these have been had we known he was the ballot winner?

Aside from Sora, we also confirmed Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020), thanks to Melody of Memory's rendition of Dearly Beloved. This got 52.53% chance (highly expected, good job) and 48.89% (mixed reception, probably people not very much into promotion).

Other than that, well, I won't be listing what's disconfirmed since that would be everything else... almost. There is Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass (66.33% - 70.00%). We have no word on this so it could go either way. However, it's worth pointing out that the count of all the content in Ultimate had an "as of this date" disclaimer, so it's possible they're planning more content and Spirit Events are the obvious conclusion.

Oh, and back to calcs for a bit. To Boss: Ender Dragon, Sam Fisher, Sukapon, Gene, Lugia, Agumon, Penny Crygor, D.Va, Captain Charlie, Kraid, Joe Random, and Crazy Taxi character: Welcome to the Less Likely Than Goku club! Though, now that we have a Disney character in Smash, does that mean anything? Is anything impossible anymore...?

--

Now, it's time for me to go. I'm signing off Smashboards. It's been a good run but it had to end at some point, I don't want to stay on until Smash 6 rolls around and, well, this is as good a place as any to get off the train. I'll be back on Sora's satisfaction day to say my piece but other than that, this is farewell GoodGrief.

I can't put into words how grateful I am to this thread's existence, but I'll try anyway. Back in November 1st 2018, I was having a real rough time. I believed the Grinch leak and liked what it peddled, so when the presentation rolled around and instead we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant (two fighters I still think are, along with Corrin, the worst inclusions to Smash ever), it hit hard. I was frustrated and didn't really know what to do, what to speculate about, what to predict, I didn't even care. Smash sucked and was going to continue to suck, so why bother, right? I was ready to drop out of Smashboards and speculation and stop caring, maybe not even buy the DLC.

What stopped me? Well, it was RTC. Not necessarily the fun of the game; at that point I really wasn't having fun with anything speculation related, and I was abstaining on chance. What kept me on this thread, and therefore the forum at large, was my duty towards the thread. I had a big responsibility – I'm the nominations guy! Without nominations there's no schedule; earning nominations is the reward of partaking in RTC, and without a reward, there's no game. So I stuck around, because I might be many things, but one thing I'm not is extroverted enough to ask for someone else to do stuff I've agreed to do, dammit.

And so came Joker, who was precisely the character I needed. I had played and loved Persona 5, as had many of my irl friends I had introduced to the series, and we all got to watch that reveal live at TGA. And then I got to come here and experience what it was like to be hyped with the community again. It wasn't K. Rool but by Jove it was enough. And that snowballed into 3 years. If it hadn't been for this thread I'd have missed out on three slow and crazy years of speculation. But instead I got to defend the merits of Dragon Quest and watch it pay off wonderfully. I got to argue, pointlessly in the end, how Spring Man and Ribbon Girl and Ninjara and Min Min could all be alts of one another. I got to give 100% chance scores to Ryu Hayabusa and Isaac and Rex and then watch none of them get in. I got to see so many stupid phony leaks. I got to see Sephiroth bring despair to everyone in the best way. And I got to see what the world looks like when finally, a pair of buddies get to come home, and a clown-shoed doofus unlocks the final world to visit.

And beyond that, holy **** there's more beyond that. There were so many Directs, including one I can't forget in which Advance Wars returned and Dread became real. I took part in some amazingly creative forum games, roster projects that would put real devs to shame. I made a few movesets that I'm really proud of, made me realize that maybe I can do more than just pitch characters. The entire speculation for base game Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl came and went. I made two threads with so much effort and dedication because I feared (still do) that I might not be good enough for the characters' fans. And I got to meet and talk to and listen to so many wonderful people, on this thread and on others. There are no words. I know many will read this, and many won't because they moved on already or because they frequent other threads. And I won't tag because that would be too many people, and because I'd hate to forget someone and make them feel unimportant. So I'll just put the thought out into the world: you rock. Keep being you and best of luck in life.

I always enjoyed reading your posts, thanks for all the hardwork you put into this thread. It was a pleasure

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Wow... What a truly magical way to send off Smash Bros, with the Crossover King himself. Sora is in Super Smash Bros.

I couldn't believe it. I initially thought it was going to be the Chosen Undead/Ashen One of Dark Souls, but that would be somewhat anti-climactic; yes Dark Souls is an iconic franchise, but probably not the best gun to end the Smash Bros franchise with either. Kingdom Hearts, on the other hand? That is the stuff of legends - being stuck between two companies in both Disney and Square Enix. I had written off Sora as an impossibility and given that we already got Sephiroth - who himself was already an amazing addition that nobody saw coming, I didn't think it would happen. Only when I saw the shape of the fiery weapon take form and the Mickey Mouse keychain that I realised. HOLY CRAP. SORA!?!?!?!?

Of course I'm a bit bitter and disappointed that Doomguy got Mii'd since he was second-place in my most wanted, and whoever the final character was pretty much sealed off any chances of any other of my wants for who knows how long. Phoenix Wright? Kiryu-chan? Reimu? (no, not the Nijisanji talent announced today) Not happening for any other foreseeable future.

But I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't mind trading them in for the wonderful spectacle that was seeing "SORA IS FINALLY HERE!" I could not believe it. Rules of Equivalent Exchange, perhaps?

Sora is a truly magical choice to end Super Smash Bros on. He looks great in motion and super faithful to the KH games, even going out and getting a Timeless River alt. His playstyle looks, as the song goes, "Simple and Clean" - Not super flashy or gimmicky but looks fun. Hollow Bastion looks visually stunning, and the transition to Dive to the Heart is great too. Of course we obviously can't have too much of Disney's good graces - 9 songs feels a bit short for a series like KH, and there's plenty of not-explicitly-Disney KH songs I would've added for sure, but it's decent.

So I'd say I'm 80% satisfied with Sora's inclusion. Nowhere near my first pick to have ended Smash Bros on, but if there's anyway to end Smash Bros with a bang, then without a doubt, Sora is the best choice for that. I like Kingdom Hearts quite a fair bit - didn't get into the series until 358/2 Days, but Sora is truly a dream come true.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Sam Fisher

Sukapon

Gene

Lugia

Agumon

Legends Trainer

Eggman

Penny Crygor

D.Va

Captain Charlie

Kraid

Joe Random

And of course

Sora

I. 15.87% - 38.64%
II. 7.32% - 47.47%
III. 39.40% - 63.67%
IV. 40.58% - 54.44%
V. 34.78% - 68.38%
VI. 14.44% - 70.00%

--

Damn it now i have to do math again

Once again, thank you so much for all your help. I will talk in more detail when it comes to the final day, but running this thread solo was exhausting and I am so glad that you helped out. You, Sari, and UtopianPoyzin all helped keep this ship afloat and made this RTC in my opinion its best rendition yet. Now, for the final day, I do plan on going in more detail on this, but once again thank you so much for all your help. I am not kidding when I say this could nto have been as successful as it was without your help.

Now then, lets talk about Sora.

I won't lie to y'all. I was setting myself up for rock bottom expectations. We got three huge third parties. Arguably the biggest fighting game series outside of Street Fighter was the smallest third party we got this pass. Sephiroth brought us actual Final Fantasy 7 content (though I am forever slaty that we dont have any music from 4,6,9, or 10) and is arguably the biggest villain in gaming not in smash. And Minecraft is the biggest game of all time. With such a huge pass, it seemed inevitable that the final character would be a smaller series or a shill rep. In my heart, the best case scenario was something small like Monokuma or Phoenix Wright. My gut was telling me we would get Nahobino or Cinderace or something that would produce Byleth tier salt.

I obviously supported a lot of big characters, which is why this part of speculation was so difficult for me. I wanted Crash as my most wanted. I wanted Master Chief. I wanted big characters, what can I say? Did I want some niche stuff? Oh obviously. I was supportive towards Phantasy Star and Ys getting reps, and after playing Trails of Cold Steel I would have been delighted if Rean was the pick. But I was not expecting anything for them. Now, I was happy with what we got to an extent so far. The Aegis rep Xenoblade 2 and are one of my mains. Sephiroth was one of my dark horse picks who made me super excited and is in my character repertoire. Kazuya brought a ton of cool content and I do love me some Tekken music. Steve is from one of the biggest games of all time. Min Min... well I will save my thoughts on her for her day. But man, I wanted something else in FP2 that would make me lose it like Joker or Banjo did for FP1, or Ridley, Everyone is Here, and K Rool made me feel in the base game. Sephiroth was there there, but I wanted one last good pick. If not for me, for the community.

And now we come to Sora. Sora was always one of the hardest characters to discuss in this thread. While his want has trended up for the most part, he always has been a headache to talk about. The Disney copyright was always the biggest sticking point. Now, for those of you out of the loop, Disney owns ~20% of intellectual property with TV and Movies. If you watch something, there is a strong chance it might be disney adjacent now. That is how much of an empire they became in the Bob Iger years. And that brings us back to Sora, because he was unfortunately under the Mouse's umbrella. Getting Sora in the game was always going to be a herculean task. And it is one that for the most part made me bullish on him a bit.

In spite of that, Sora was always someone I would have been happy to get. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix is one of my favorite video games of all time. Kingdom Hearts 1 also holds a special place in my heart. I love the Kingdom Hearts series. Is it cringe? Yeah probably. Is the story absolutely insane? Of course. But I love it. It is hard to explain but there is a certain amount of whimsy in the series. The series originally started as a Disney and Final Fantasy collaberation, and I think that best explains it in its best and worst moments. At its best, Kingdom Hearts captures the whimsy and scale of Disney, while holding onto Final Fantasy's RPG roots and storytelling. There is something magical to playing through Kingdom Hearts as a series, in spite of how much of a joke it can be. Yes, the series is stupid. Nothing beats hearing Terra talk about his darkness to Minnie Mouse or having Sora being duct taped to the plot of Frozen because disney decided to be too controlling over the image of that world. But I love the series, warts and all. I do have some genuine grievences with the series, such as how Nomura does not know how to write female characters or how frustrating it can be to get through the Kudzu plot of these games. But I do love Kingdom Hearts. Sora might not be my favorite character, Roxas and Riku are probably among my favorites, but I do have a soft spot for the guy. He is just so charming and optimistic, even if he is dumb as a rock.

That brings us to October 5th. Leading up to it, there was that one 4chan leak circulating. Now, I quickly dismissed it. 4chan leaks feel like monkeys on typewriters. Sure, sometimes they are right, like with E3 2018, but oftentimes they are wrong. I told everyone expect nothing good, just to set yourself up for disappointment. Then the trailer starts, and it is clear they are hyping this one up. When everyone became trophies, I kind of expected it to be Chief, because of that one Halo 3 commercial. Then mario comes to life and walks to the flame, and then throws the flaming sword. I started to process that it was a keyblade as soon as it slowed down, and then lost my ****.

Gameplay wise, Sora seems fun. He seems to draw heavily from KH1 Sora, with the magic working like in KH 1 and his combos and physics matching that game. While I would have preferred KH2 as the base for his moveset, this is clearly a portrayal of love and care and I love what they did with it. Hollow Bastion looks to be a fun legal stage, and much like Northern Cave I can't wait to play on it with my friends. The music selection reeks of Disney choosing the first 9 songs on the list Sakurai sent them, but they chose a good set of KH 1 songs at the end of the day. No Rage Awakened, Hearts as One, Darkness of the Unknown, Another Side Another Story, or Fate of the Unknown stings. But hey, we did get a good bit of bangers with in my opinion one of the prettiest stages we ever got in all of Smash.

Sora's reveal was perfect. A perfect blend of whimsy and hope for one of the biggest fan requests ever. A perfect finale for Smash Ultimate getting new characters.

In terms of what is left for Ultimate, I am expecting the bare minimum. Maybe there will be spirit events considering how low maintenance they are. There probably will be a skeleton balance team left to work on the game and maintain the servers. But in terms of active development, I am gonna say this is the final dance. My heart says maybe we might get a few more stages based off the boss arenas to fill out the stage selection screen, but I know that we likely are just going to get the bare minimum.

-------

So, what will become of RTC. Well, we will be doing a few satisfaction rerates.

Day 1. Inkling, Everyone is Here, Daisy, Ridley,
Day 2: Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, K Rool
Day 3. Isabelle, Ken, Incineraor, Piranha Plant
Day 4: World of Light, Spirits and Smash Online
Day 5: Joker, Hero, Banjo
Day 6: Terry, Byleth, and Fighters Pass 1
Day 7: Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth
Day 8: Pythra, Kazyua and Sora, and Fighters Pass 2
Day 9: Favorite Moments/Least Favorite Moments of Smash Speculation as a whole
Day 10: Favorite RTC days
Day 11: Top 5 first and third party characters you think will be frontrunners for the next game, and final goodbyes

This is the schedule people wanted to do. As one final dance for RTC, I want to revisit Ultimate and what it meant to people. Hopefully it meant as much to you all as me.

Today will mark the beginning of our new and final schedule. Today we start where we began. Only knowing of Inkling at first, to learning of Everyone is Here, Echo fighters were a thing now with Daisy, and one of the biggest requests of all time, pun intended, hit the big time when Ridley hit the scene. Now, how does the community feel about them and their execution three years later? Post your satisfaction scores for Inkling, Everyone is Here, Daisy, and Ridley.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Inkling: 85% Satisfaction:ultinkling::ultinklingboy:

Remember how simple things were when we did not even know how Inkling played? God, time flies. Honestly, Inkling was a newcomer that I was completely ambivalent to, mainly for two reasons. First, I have no strong connection to the splatoon series. I never got into either game, and I do not have much interest in Splatoon 3. It will probably be good or something, but the series never grabbed me. I am glad that a new Nintendo franchise was able to hang with the big boys, but it is just not my cup of tea. The second reason I was not exactly hyped for Inkling is because Inkling was the single most no duh character that could be added in the base game. In RTC, I gave a few characters 99%, where I was very confident in them. IIRC, the highest two were Ridley and Hero for DLC. If we rated Inkling before the game came out, I would have given Inkling a 100%. Needless to say, that made the reveal of Inkling for Smash ultimate…kind of forgettable. I was happy that they showed Inkling off first, because to be honest, it was good to get it out of the way.

Once the game came out, I found Inkling pretty fun, not gonna lie. Roller is frustrating online where your mashing skills are not the best, but Inkling is fun. Solid kit, fun to move around with. Good pick. Would be higher if I liked Spaltoon at all, but hey, it’s a fun enough pick. Id rather get an obvious character done justice than one that isn’t…like Little Mac.

Everyone is Here!: 100% Satisfaction:ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultsnake::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultwolf:

If you were here in the early days of RTC, I was giving divisive characters like Pichu and Young Link 100% wants because I wanted a smash game with everyone on principle. And we got one, and hoo boy, was I excited. I will go through these all in a lighting round of sorts

Ice Climbers- Look, Ice Climbers were the one cut everyone agreed should not have happened and it would not have had the 3ds not been a factor. Icies coming back was super cool, Summit looks gorgeous and is one of the best looking stages in this game. Just a fun touch, but nothing that shook my world.

Pokemon Trainer - Now this, unlike ICies, was a surprise. Transformation characters got cut, but PT did not have that same legacy that Ice Climbers did. Charizard could feasibly have stayed solo. But we got Squirtle and Ivysaur back, and I couldn't be happier. In terms of execution this game, PT is a marvelous character, even if rage charizard is annoying. Squirtle and Ivysaur and Charizard balance each other out perfectly. The three of them are so well tuned. I love what Sakurai did with these three, and the balance rework they got to make ivysaur worse and squirtle and charizard better was one of the best patch changes this game got. I love playing as Leaf as well, her VA is much better than Red's. Amazing job.

Snake- Now here was the white whale of the cut characters. Snake did have some detractors from the "Nintendo All Star" crowd, but they have basically died out now. Snake was a super cool, unique character who unfortunately did not return in Smash 4. Seeing Snake appear in that reel honestly is still one of my most hype Smash reveals. I might even say it was more hype than Ridley's. He was my main in Brawl and one of my favorite characters in Project M. I would love be better with him in Smash Ultimate, he is one of my all time favorites. The music selection this time was stellar, Shadow Moses looks great in this game. Snake truly got the red carpet treatment this time.

Pichu- I know a lot of folks were not a fan of the little guy, but I love him. I love how they turned him into this super glass cannon who can evaporate your stock in a second and get swatted away just as fast. I love how volatile and skill testing the little guy is. I honestly prefer playing him to Pikachu if I am being honest. A great take on a divisive character.

Young Link- Honestly my favorite of the Links. I like how he has this mobility to him that makes him feel more intuitive. Do I wish they gave him some more stuff or Toon Link some more stuff? Yeah, but for what we got hes fine. Link changed a lot this game, so Young Link keeping a lot of his older moves was a nice treat.

Wolf- The cut veteran everyone wanted back. After somehow not coming back in Smash 4, Wolf topped everyone's want lists. And he was the final cut vet shown off, and he was done so much justice. Wolf is a marvelous character in terms of design, where you can play him however you want due to his extremely flexible kit. He looks great, the particle effects on his claws look amazing, great job. I love this rendition of Wolf, especially how they cleaned up his...jankier animations from Brawl.

Getting all these cut vets was great, but I also liked people shutting up about cutting Dark Pit, Lucina, and Cloud. Yeah, people thought Cloud was going to be cut at the time, weird times. Honestly, this was the moment that sold me on the game, and it got better that E3 with the gameplay showcases and the big finale.

Daisy: 65% Satisfaction :ultdaisy:

Look. Echo Fighters are gonna get judged a bit on a curve. I am not expecting as much from them. I am expecting something different enough or cool enough to separate them from their base character. Richter and Dark Samus imo are the baseline, while characters like Dark Pit and Lucina should be what echos strive to reach above.

Daisy is the only echo I feel truly fails this. She just does not feel like she has enough of a cool factor to me like Richter or Dark Samus do that she gets away from my scrutiny. There was so much room to give her a few moves Peach changed or reworked over the past few games, but we got basically 8 peach alts. Granted, Daisy does have some great alts, the red and black dress is an S Tier alt. But I wish we got a Chrom to Peach's Roy instead. So great idea, lackluster execution.

Ridley: 100% Satisfaction:ultridley:

I gave Ridley a 99% Chance when we rated him. To me, this seemed obvious. It was a character that Sakurai knew the fan demand for was immense, and even though he dug in his heels in the past, the man is human and changes his mind a lot. As a result, I was pretty confident that Ridley would be one of our newcomers. And he was!

Ridley had an awesome reveal. While I knew that it was Ridley the second it started, the carnage he inflicted sold him as this monster that was hellbent of causing as much misery as possible. I do wish they used the new amazing Ridley theme mix we got in this game, but Brawl's is a classic so no complaints there.

In terms of gameplay, Ridley is almost perfect. I love how vicious and feral he is, while still showing that he is a methodical character. He is all about his oppressive advantage state, but his disadvantage is horrible. He is all about being a monster and causing fear into your opponents. My only gripes with Ridley are twofold. First, why is his down air not the tail pogo from Super Metroid, that seemed like an obvious choice to go with. Second...he is kinda lighter than I wished. Now obviously, I did not expect Ridley to be a super heavy, but him weighing less than Samus stings. I wish he weighed about what Plant weight. But those are minor gripes at the end of the day.

If Inkling was the perfect way to reveal that Smash Ultimate exists, Ridley was the perfect way to show what it was going to be. With him and all the cut vets, this was the crowd pleaser smash. This was the smash that would make your dreams come true. This was a great start to speculation and letting our thoughts run wild.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the good, the bad, the multiplayer fodder and the everyone

inklings: 100% they were my second most wanted at the time. i just wish they was a little more fanfare in their inclusions. even though their stage is one of the worst in splatoon these guys are just crazy fun to play as.

EIH: 50% eh a mixed bag. on the one hand bringing back pichu and young link was nice and it was good to get a guarantee of several characters we werent sure would return. on the other all the bad character choices came back too from bayo to pitoo to mewtwo to snake to a lot of boring FE guys.

ridley: 25% not a character i supported or wanted. but i can appreciate the vast fan support he had and his pretty good moveset.

daisy: 0% i hate daisy. i actually let out a yell of anger when she was revealed. when you're most wanted character is left out in favour of the character you dislike the most in their series it tends to be hard to let it go.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Inkling: 50% - They play alright, without having anything too crazy about them. They're the kind of character I only play if I get them when choosing Random, but I also don't mind getting them there either. They were entirely expected, so I find them to be a pretty good middle ground character.

Everyone Is Here: 100% - This was the single best announcement they could have revealed the game with, what a way to set the tone. It redefined the series, it's gonna be an incredibly tough pill to swallow when it inevitably doesn't happen again in the next installment, because even though it's only been close to 3 years since release it's already hard to imagine playing a Smash game where everyone isn't here. Getting to play as guys like Pichu, Snake, Wolf and Pokémon Trainer again has been great fun, they're not close to being my mains, but I do bust them out for casual matches, and of course there not being any cuts was a huge relief.

Daisy: 40% - Not my least favorite newcomer, but probably the most forgettable one to me. They could at least have given her something different gameplay-wise, anything really. She's a logical echo, but unless you like her personality or design over Peach there's no real incentive to play as her, and that's where I*m at.

Ridley: 100% - That this happened is still absolute madness to me, I'll never stop appreciating it. Even during Sora's reveal yesterday, I got excited when I saw him on that final shot where Sora and Mario shake hands, it just never gets old to me that Ridley is in Smash. They nailed his implementation as well, Ultimate has my favorite Ridley design out of any game, it showcases his personality more than any Metroid game does, and I'm extremely fortunate that his moveset is also my favorite in the game. In previous games I would occasionally switch mains or have different favorite characters depending on my mood, but with Ultimate it's been simple for me, Ridley is untouchable. Thank god that this happened, and so early in the pre-release cycle too, as I've been able to relax and simply enjoy the spectacle from the beginning.

Being able to do everything in the game with my actual favorite character has been a blessing, and I make sure never to take it for granted. Is that perhaps being a bit too sentimental over a single character getting in the game? Probably, but a lot of it also has to do with being on such a rough ride with so many wonderful people for 11 years before it finally happened, it's hard not to be a bit sappy about it when his inclusion represents so much. And hey, it's only ever a good thing to appreciate when you get exactly what you want and it turns out to be everything you hoped it would be. I never would have been part of Smash speculation to begin with if not for wanting Ridley so badly, so him getting in more or less completed the experience for me.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Inkling satisfaction: 90%

I didn't care for Splatoon so Inkling did not do a lot for me. With that said, they were the perfect first newcomer for Ultimate. Splatoon is Nintendo's newest juggernaut series so it getting a rep in Ultimate was quite obvious. Their reveal, alongside Ultimate's existence, was hype, even if we knew nothing about the game at that point.

While I barely use the Splatoon content, I can respect it. Inkling is quite fun and is very faithful to the gameplay of Splatoon. The stage is pretty good and the movement between floors is perfect for the Inklings and their rollers. And the music selection is nice. That's all I have to say really, they did Splatoon justice and I respect it, even if it didn't personally excite me at all.

Daisy: 50%

Her reveal was a "Nice surprise for her fans" reveal for me. I like Daisy, but I have no strong feelings toward her. She is just kind of "there" for me. Plus I barely play as Peach so it's not like I play a lot of Daisy too. The best thing I can say is that it's hilarious when you play 8 player Daisy matches and all 8 Daisies shout "Yoo!!" at the beginning. I can respect her for being the introduction of the echo concept and a crowd pleaser among the Mario crowd, but I forget she is in the roster sometimes.

Ridley: 95%

I wish they made him a little better but other than that, holy **** he was hype. At the time of E3 2018, I didn't really watch Nintendo Directs so I missed out on the initial reveal. Later on in the day my best friend texted me saying "Yo dude, there is a new Smash game with everyone in it, and Ridley is here!" I was like, no way! So I looked it up and sure enough Ridley in Smash was finally a thing. I enjoy his reveal trailer (Watching Mario and Mega Man straight up die was a sight to behold at that time) and I dig the moveset. I use Ridley quite often and I love his moves. The fireballs, the down special which has a major risk and reward aspect to it, and the side special which goes along with his brutal nature very well. I'm not a Metroid fan, but I was so happy for all the people that wanted him, I'm a sucker for crowd pleasers.

Everyone Is here!! - 100%

I mean, the very existence of this alone warrants a 100. After Smash 4's DLC ended, I looked at the roster as a whole and thought "There are only like 7 missing characters. If they had just made all of them playable and added in a couple new characters, then this would be the ultimate Smash game." And that's exactly what happened. Let me tell you, that trailer is one of the most hype things I've ever seen. Even to this day, it still get chills seeing it and listening to the music. BTW I love the E3 version of the theme, it really gives you the sense that everyone really was here for the ultimate smash, the ultimate crossover, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

All I really wanted at the time was for Snake to return, and they over delivered. I was excited to try out Pichu and Young Link for the first time, I was so happy that the Pokemon Trainer group was back together, and I was happy for Wolf since he's arguably my favorite out of the Star Fox trio. Overall, what can I say? This was the perfect way to introduce Ultimate and is what made me jump on the speculation train because it felt like a lot more characters were suddenly possible now.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The Squiddies: 70% Satisfaction. On one hand, it's great that they're here and they have absolutely no excuse being excluded, but on the other the Inklings never really left a speculative impact from just how obvious their inclusion was. I can't say there was ever an Inklings speculation arc, for one, since they were revealed alongside the existence of Ultimate itself.

The Gang's All Here: It's hard to not want to give this a 100% satisfaction because of what it represents, but honestly I have some gripes that make me take it down to about 95%. Firstly this is a lot more amazing on paper than it sounds in my eyes, not because it means celebrating redundancies or characters I'd have preferred gotten the pink slip individually, but combined. A lot of the effort that could've gone into refining the game or giving the cast more to do went to making the cast bigger, and at that revisiting concepts we've tread before. Still, it is wild that this happened when cuts seemed inevitable, but now the next game has a tall order to live up to. So while I think overall this was huge, I can't say for sure this was absolutely the best direction to take.

Peach 2: 30%. Unlike what I'm expecting to be the trend for her sub 50% scores, this is not out of malice towards Daisy or her fanbase, but rather disappointment at how badly she (and Richter/Dark Samus) turned out. Non-existant/negligible differences means the characters are essentially glorified alts and begs the question of why give them this much prominence in the first place. But I don't hate the character, so... I just feel like Daisy was absurdly underutilized. No float but otherwise better Peach? That'd have been cool. Instead Daisy fans get Peach 2 and Daisy haters have to deal with the fact that she's in anyway, which is the worst of both worlds.

Believe it or not: 100%. Remember what I said about Inklings and EiH? Well put the two together and fix the flaw I mentioned for Inklings and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Ridley was the king of this speculation cycle as a whole (with the only rivals being K. Rool, Banjo or Sora, but for one reason or another I prioritize Ridley above all of them). The only first party other than Waluigi left at that time who could make such a tremendous comeback. It was almost a dream, it didn't feel real. Ridley actually happened! Amazing! No more too bigs. How'd we get this far? It also was the first hint that fan demand really did play a role in this lineup and it was incredible. When Ridley happened, the first big roadblock break happened and the dominos followed after him. Cloud may have opened the door to several others previously laughed at as troll picks, but Ridley was an even more legendary case.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley and Everyone is here
Defiantly 100%. Having all the fighter shows return makes Ultimate worthy. I’m glad Wolf returned, along with Pichu, Snake and Ice Climbers, Among others. Also seeing Wolf and Snake fight Pichu and Young Link is a worthy match. Daisy is quite fun as well and she is my Echo Main. Inkling is also very fun and Inkling Girl is my 6th main as a bonus. Ridley is quite a worthy surprise and he is very fun to play as well. Overall, it was totally worth it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Squid Kid

Never liked this character, tried their game but it didn't click and I don't like the content they bring. At least they got it out of the way first? Idk what arbitrary number to put here

The big reveal

Under no circumstances would ask for Pichu, Young Link or Ice Climbers back and there are some characters I would gladly see disappear from Smash forever, but **** me if this didn't spark so much joy from me and my friends, truly a magical experience that I wish becomes a standard. 100%

THE LAD

I caused noise complaints. 100% The ****** had a perfect trailer that gave a shoutout to one of my favourite movies and the only issues I have are the ****ing down air and up b. This was legit great, especially as Ridley ended up being the very first character I played in Ultimate back at Gamescom 2018

EDIT Oh right Daisy. 5% hate the character and have been threatened by Memoryman in the past, the little ****, but I have some satisfaction in the fact he didn't like how Daisy is the worst Echo without a doubt

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I was secretly hoping we'd do this kind of rating. Mostly for me to ***** and moan, but heck it's carthartic sometimes, and after a hard days work sometimes we all need that right?

Inkling: 100% satisfaction
New Smash game announced was insanely hype. Inkling was a well deserved character addition and by far the best NEW thing to come from the Wii U period that wasn't Captain Toad Treasure Tracker or Hyrule Warriors. Yes I have particular tastes.

Everyone is Here: 50% satisfaction
At the time it was mindblowing seeing them remember Pichu and Young Link as we'd all given up ever seeing them again, and whilst it warmed my heart to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return once more it also brought about some stuff I disliked which only became apparent much later;
  • Prioritising returning veterans meant a lot less newcomers in the base game, and the newcomers were always the more exciting aspect for me.
  • I didn't really miss the cut cast from Sm4sh to begin with with the sole exceptions of Squirtle and Ivysaur...and Pokemon Trainer being brought back meant my friend who only really enjoyed playing as Charizard now has him chained to the two he dislikes playing.
  • Killed my most wanted off the bat by showcasing Peach using him in an updated counter. Annoyingly I at first thought he'd been stealth confirmed when we saw that glimpse of him as he wasn't in the usual Toad counter pose. Yeah, yeah, I know, "boohoo I didn't get my most wanted", but it still sucks to have it happen THAT early on to know the character you'd be most excited to see isn't coming and you'll have to wait another half a decade before he gets another shot...and the next reveal didn't help matters. Speaking of...
Daisy: 10%
Disclaimer: I don't dislike Daisy as a character and I also think she's fine for Smash.

I do think she's probably the most underwhelming addition being a near 1:1 of Peach and that she was a massive waste of potential.

However my real issue with her is both extremely petty and personal and that it is her inclusion cements Toad further into a NPC role by having Daisy use a Blue Toad as a helper for not only her counter, but also her throws.

As much as I have always disliked this NPC role for Toad, I can at least accept it making sense on Peach; she's their ruler, and thus they will protect her and fight with her, but Daisy? Never before was it as apparent that Daisy lacks her own identity than with this inclusion.
Peach has Toads, Rosalina has Luma, even Pauline has the New Donkers heavily associated with her but Daisy? No civilians to call her own. No moveset to call her own either. Even if you hate other additions you can at least note their gameplay additions make them have some value, but Daisy seems like a last minute addition despite being the first post 'Everyone is here' reveal.

Personal Toad bias aside, Daisy's inclusion also set us up with an expectation that echoes would be more plentiful than what we ended up with, leading many people to both believe we were getting tons of them and the rebrand of echo to clone somehow making them more palettable to the community which was bizarre to see. I'm not even against echoes, Chrom ended up being my favourite newcomer in base, but after witnessing years of clone hate this was very bemusing and Daisy's inclusion is half hearted in it's approach.

Ridley: 90%
Metroid is that one Nintendo series I just couldn't get into, but even so seeing the years of Ridley requests finally bare fruit was nice to see. Sakurai being cheered on stage was genuinely heartwarming as well and probably my favourite Sakurai moment of the entire Ultimate period.

Ridley is the anti-Daisy for me; a character I had little interest in from a series I didn't care for, yet I still enjoy seeing him on the roster and playing with him despite all his gameplay flaws.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone is Here Satisfaction: 200%. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. I kinda hope it persists for at least one more game

Inkling satisfaction: 90%. The downside is that they, and the majority of the series content we got which includes the miis of Callie, Marie, Enemy Octoling and Mr. Judd are all of the first game. Only 2 content we got was the Off the Hook (Pearl & Marina) spirit, some OtH songs, and the playable Octoling from Octo Expansion’s humanoid and octopus form spirits. Cries in still no Octo Expansion music

Daisy satisfaction: 70%. Could have differentiated her from Peach a bit more

Ridley satisfaction: 80%. He’s fun, at least. And he deserves to finally be in after decades of demand

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley and Everyone is here
Defiantly 100%. Having all the fighter shows return makes Ultimate worthy. I’m glad Wolf returned, along with Pichu, Snake and Ice Climbers, Among others. Also seeing Wolf and Snake fight Pichu and Young Link is a worthy match. Daisy is quite fun as well and she is my Echo Main. Inkling is also very fun and Inkling Girl is my 6th main as a bonus. Ridley is quite a worthy surprise and he is very fun to play as well. Overall, it was totally worth it.
worthy of what?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Everyone is Here: 100%
Definitely the way to go for multiple reasons: Each newcomer from that moment on would be completely new, which really helped make speculation that more fast-paced and blitzier. It also just brought back some very neat characters and it prevented cuts. I still play as Young Link a decent amount so having him back cemented Ultimate as a solid game.

Inkling: 60%
I’m a fan of Splatoon. If I ever return to speculation it‘s to push for three or so Splatoon newcomers. Inkling was inevitable and merited as a newcomer, but their design is pretty much Splatoon 1 only and I dislike how they play. I get why they went the route they did, it just doesn’t gel with me.

Ridley: 70%
I like him, he had to be there and it showed that Ultimate was going to be That Game. I also dislike playing as him.

Daisy: 100%
Blah blah blah worst Echo Fighter blah blah zero differences from Peach. I get it. I agree. She could’ve been better. Superballs instead of Turnips, Super Mario Land love instead of Toads, a tweaked float, a Flower Glider instead of an umbrella, Peach’s Melee moves. Daisy could’ve been more.

But I cannot give her lower than 100%. I have speculated so intensely for so long on Daisy‘s chances and moveset post-ballot that any more pressure behind the idea of Daisy would’ve made this speculation period a whole lot more draining. That E3 gave me peace, and in Smash speculation, peace is key. That’s not to say I don’t like Daisy and just wanted to get her out of the way. I celebrated with friend and foe and she her inclusion got me to draw, to write and truly made me bloom as a creative and I owe it all to that fateful E3. Besides, her implementation wasn’t that bad. Her alts are gorgeous, her personality shines through and the moveset gels with me if I just give up on the float mechanic.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Inkling:ultinkling::ultinklingboy:: 100%

I'm honestly extremely grateful for Splatoon. It's awesome to see Nintendo attempt a brand new IP on a failing console, only for it to perform really well! I feel like Splatoon's success helped get Nintendo out of their dark days by making something fresh and new at a time where Nintendo was really struggling to innovate. I love when Nintendo ventures outside of their major franchises to either create something new and exciting, or just bring back something that we haven't seen in a while. I'm so glad that Splatoon exists and that it's as popular as it is. To me, Splatoon marks a new era of Nintendo that is genuinely exciting and Inkling being in Smash really solidified Splatoon as one of Nintendo's greats. We all knew that they were coming to Ultimate and for very good reason. The fact that they led the charge into Ultimate by being the very first character revealed is extremely fitting.

They're really fun too! The ink mechanic was really well implemented. They're really quirky and unique and have a lot of charm, yet they're surprisingly easy to get the hang of...kind of like Splatoon! I haven't played them in a while, but that's mainly because I've been so enamored by all the DLC we've been getting and the Inklings already feel like veterans who have been here forever. Once all of the dust settles and the DLC has been out for a few years, I'm sure that I'll start playing Inkling again. Great way to start off Ultimate!

EVERYONE :ulticeclimbers::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultsnake::ultwolf:: 1000%

This is what Smash is all about. It's the greatest crossover in all of gaming (all of media?). We're currently at nearly 90 fighters, with like 200 different series represented through Spirits. That is just spectacular. Most of us probably wouldn't have cared if Sakurai never chose to return the likes of Pichu and Young Link, but I am so glad that he did. This way we can all look back on Ultimate and appreciate that it really did have everything. Like everyone else, I'm not sure where Smash goes from here. Maybe they will completely reboot the franchise and start from the ground up? However, this will always be the ideal Smash game for me. Just a **** ton of characters from a **** ton of games. The gameplay is fantastic and the characters are already so well implemented. There's a reason why I would have gladly paid for ten more Fighters Passes.

Sorry if that felt like an unrelated tangent, but that's just how much appreciate that Sakurai brought everyone back. It made this game all the more impactful and really sold the idea that this was the Ultimate Smash game. Everything we've gotten so far was leading up to this...

Daisy :ultdaisy:: 70%

Kinda difficult to judge the echoes. They don't really have the capacity to be a "waste" given how little time is put into them, but it's also hard for them to be exciting with so little originality.

I'm glad Daisy is here! As much as I prefer to see unrepped franchises in Smash, having plentiful Mario characters makes a lot of sense. Mario characters are unbelievably iconic, and while I would have preferred Toad or Waluigi first, Daisy is still a worthy addition. However...I don't love that she's an echo fighter. I mean, it's fine for the most part, but Daisy has a certain spunk and attitude that doesn't entirely fit the princess-ness of Peach. Even just one sports related special would have gone a long way. The parasol up B, the Toad neutral B, the turnip down B...these are all very Peach related things that don't entirely suit Daisy. I also just don't love Peach's moveset, so having another Peach doesn't really excite me. Of all echo fighters to be virtually identical to their counterpart, I'm bummed that it's Daisy of all people.

Right now, she's my least played newcomer in Smash, including all of the other echoes and DLC. Just not my cup of tea. Still, I do appreciate her inclusion.

Ridley :ultridley:: 100%

Oh YES. I remember saying back in early Ultimate speculation that if they just ported Smash 4 and added a small handful of newcomers and cut veterans, I would have been happy. Literally, the two newcomers that I felt they should add was Inkling, because of how impactful Splatoon was, and Ridley, due to his immense popularity and history with the Smash series. Imagine my face when we got exactly that in the initial reveal of Ultimate.

Ridley is just so cool. My god he is just the coolest thing ever. I know some folks were disappointed by his playstyle, but I absolutely love it. He's fast and powerful with some glaring weaknesses. It genuinely feels like you're playing as the boss. Some weird stuff like his down air that absolutely should have been a tail poke and his down b that, while cool looking, just isn't all that useful. Overall, I still love his playstyle and wouldn't dare give him anything less than a 100%. Unlike Inkling, Ridley is still among my most played characters in Ultimate. He is so damn fun.

Also, I feel like this isn't brought up often, but Ridley has some of the best alts in all of Ultimate. I like every single one of them. The references are on point and the colors just look really good. I'm particularly fond of Meta-Ridley, ZM Ridley, golden statue Ridley, and SM box art Ridley. Usually I stick to one or two alts for every character, but I cycle through every single one of Ridley's.

There were a lot of big crowd pleasers added to Ultimate from K. Rool to Sora, but for me, Ridley will always be the most special. It's still surreal that he's finally playable.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Rerating all the Newcomers, nice.

Now that i have played the game, looking back on each and one of them will be much better.

YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID.

50%
Satisfaction.

Inkling is weird, for a while i had this odd Splatoon Phase in 2015 (probably because it was like one of the few Major Nintendo Wii U games at the time) so i was really into Splatoon for some reason, nowadays i haven't played the game in years. So when the Inklings came i no longer cared for Splatoon, yet i recognize there was no other way to introduce Smash's first newcomer than this. I may not care about them anymore, but they totally had to be in this game, one way or another. In an era where Smash no longer seems to care about Nintendo's own characters, it's good to see one of them be the opener to the biggest Smash game.

Obviously im rating them based on character choices, since i don't play them often, if ever, that reason being:

TOON LINK VS YOUNG LINK: THE MATCH OF THE CENTURY.

85% Satisfaction.

I could argue this is a mixed bag. We are never getting this again so expectations for the next game will not ever be lived up to roster-wise, characters like Wario and Ganondorf needed more touch-ups than what they got in the base game, and it means a lot of cool Nintendo newcomers (Waluigi, Takamaru, Dixie) basically got the shaft because we totally need to play as WFT again.

But, this is cool, this is neat, this is Sakurai flexing on the years of relationships he has build on and the amount of characters this series has.

To this day the trailer from E3 still gives me chills, it's probably 1 of the 2 things i remember from E3 2018, nothing will top it.

Also, due to how ehm......dissapointed i have been on the DLC, this game has made appreciate and play as characters that i never gave enough consideration. I have played with Diddy Kong far more than i did in 4, Zelda is now on my top 20, if only because i love her new look and much more bright demeanor, good riddance to the TP artstyle, as i only liked Link's design from that game.

and all my favorites came back. Mewtwo, Mega Man, Wolf, Roy, Lucas. Almost all of these would have been goners if Ultimate went the cutting route.

After playing Xenoblade, i have come to appreciate Shulk so much more, same goes for Rosalina after finishing Galaxy 1 for once and reading through her Story. I have come to realize that sometimes the best ways to enjoy new things, is to look back and enjoy stuff of the past you never gave a real chance, and this roster has it in spades.

As someone who enjoyes playing through multiple characters, this has been a blessing. If Smash Ultimate was all about modes instead of characters, i don't think i would have played it as much, and this is someone who enjoyed Smash Run and really wanted it back.

The Balance may suffer from it (and Sora will not help) and this may suffer from Quantity over Quantity, but when i felt the need to have Pichu butthead Wario in the face, this will be the place.

and now, the Big One. Huh.

BUY METROID DREAD.

70% satisfaction.

Here's a funny story, im not too much into Metroid, and i enjoy it more casually. I finished Samus Returns, i really liked it. I played through Super Metroid, i liked it, even if finished 3 years later. I finished through Zero Mission, i i liked it. I like the Metroid series but i never was a hardcore fan, i guess it simply is how much i get lost in these games compared to their CV betheren, which i never felt like i was running in circles, that was a killjoy (ironically, the only Metroid game that doesn't sufffer from this issue, Fusion, is the only one i have not beaten yet, that has to change)

I don't even play Samus in Smash, i always felt her moveset was outdated and needed a retool, and the Mii Gunner ironically felt how Samus's moveset should have been, using her Cannon is her Smash attacks. Zero Suit Samus was the one i played a lot more and i'll be man enough to admit that was because of puberty (i was like 14 at the time Zero Suit Samus came back in Smash 4, still prefer her Smash 4 design, no shame here)

Still, i just felt like most people that Ridley should have been in Smash since Brawl. He is a mean space lizard that shoots fire and is pretty much the only recurring Metroid character not called Samus or a Metroid. I remember the Ridley for Smash 4 thread, that was a wild ride. not in a good way though, i defintely regret saying some things regarding that thread years ago, but things thankfully have been better.

He is one of my favorite characters to play (which should tell you i don't give a **** about Hardcore Competitive play) and the only 3 complaints i have are he lacks his Pogo Stick Tail Attack, his Down B is too situational and his Recovery is off, mostly because instead of working like Fox it works..............i cannot put it into words it's just weird. That Bayo vs Ridley match from E3 2018 was still awful.

I came into Ridley as a bandwagoner, i came out as a Metroid enjoyer.

So if you have anything to take out of this, is BUY METROID DREAD.

EDIT: Whoops, i forgot about Daisy.

HI I'M DAISY.

50% satisfaction.

I can't say much here, i like Mario but Daisy wasn't my choice for the next Mario character (you know who it was). She's an echo so she didn't waste development time (unlike another certain Mario character, we will get to you) but it also meant that a unique Daisy character is out the table now, at least she could have gotten some Chrom treatment here.

Still, i don't think this character affects me in any negative way nor it impacts Smash's direction when it comes to character choices, so im okay with her.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Hoo boy. I can already tell my response won't be... really "positive"/ happy. I'll just start with the stuff I actually like so people don't try to accuse me of being a "toxic negative nancy" right off the bat.

Inklings:
Wow. It's nowhere near as shocking years later, but man, it still feels a little weird that the Inklings actually ended up translating as well as they did to SSB. Aside from Cloud, nearly every gimmick character at that point had been awkward at best, to say the least. Yet Inkling actually ended up working well. They have their ink mechanic, sure, but that's super easy to understand straight off the bat, and that's it. Inkling can't drench the entire stage with ink to slow every opponent down, they can't hide in their own ink, there's none of that stuff people kept suggesting just for the sake of being "as faithful as possible"/ making them "unique". Inkling still follows what makes a SSB character work best: easy to pick up, difficult to master, and is still very faithful despite not having literally every last possible thing they could do. They even ended up being one of my favorite characters in the roster, even if still behind a few others in that regard.

That all aside though, even though people definitely overhyped them as an all-star character back in the mid 2010s (now, yeah, that title would make sense) and claimed "they have no reason to not be in!", Splatoon was still a big deal for a new series, so it's not like they're just a nobody or anything either. Even if I didn't like Inkling, both how they worked in SSB and/ or in general, I would still have to admit that they're a good character pick at least.

Inkling satisfaction: 85%

Ridley:
It's Ridley. He's been overdue since at least For, he's finally here, and he's another character I just love playing as. In all honesty, I'm not even bothered by the like of the Tail Pogo down air most people are. The only move I'm bothered by at all is his down special, which I wish was a command grab with the same "skewer with tail" concept. Like a modern Koopa Claw or something. Even that though is just a minor issue though, because otherwise, Ridley is perfect. Although... I do kinda wish he was saved for something else. More on that later.

Ridley satisfaction: 100%

Daisy:
Eugh. This is nothing against Daisy herself (she's not a particular bad pick in general, nor do I have personal dislike for her or anything), nor her fans like most people seem to have when it comes to Daisy. No, it's just the fact that it's Peach with literally just a different idle stance. That's it. She's effectively just a glorified alt. She didn't need to be a completely different character or anything if she was ever to get into SSB, she literally could've just been a harder hitting Peach or Peach with no float but decently better in other areas, but if the most could be done for this game could be different idle stance, then she should've just stayed an alt. An alt still wouldn't quite do her justice as a fighter, but at least if she was, it would've felt less like a false attempt to make her inclusion seem like a bigger deal than it actually was. Even as someone who really doesn't like Daisy or anything, it does feel a little wrong to just do that, even though "disrespect" clearly wasn't the intention with that decision.

TL;DR: Some other Echoes (emphasis on some) have a tiny bit more going for them, but Daisy has literally just an idle stance. That's lame. Might as well just been an alt. I also just don't care for Daisy much past the fact that she should've been treated a little better.

Daisy satisfaction: 0%

Everybody Is Here:
And now here's the part where people hate my guts.

A For Wii U port that brought back all the old vets for one last hoo-rah would've been perfectly fine. Not something I want, but giving all the vets, even the "hated" ones like Pichu and Young Link and Dark Pit yadda yadda one last time to shine without raising expectations way too irrationally high for the next game is at least respectable, even if I don't like certain vets/ don't think they should've ever been in SSB. At least as long as there is an emphasis on the fact that this will be the last time for a decent chunk of the old vets, at least in their current state.

Well, that's clearly not what happened, and now the series is in a very bad position that will hurt them in the long term. Sure, literally regardless of whatever SSB does at this point, it WILL sell well. But regardless, SSB's reputation will be irrationally damaged unless the next game is just a port of SSBU, which will be VERY boring to say the least. With even just like, what, ten or so cuts, people will be genuinely furious, and the fanbase will actually know what it's like to be torn right in half, and not just see a few people complaining, with an even smaller amount of people within the complaining group going too far, and then generalizing the entire fanbase as "toxic" just because of those very few genuinely toxic people. And with people genuinely getting pissed, that means the people who get pissed over any sort of "negativity" are also going to get more toxic just to defend whatever comes next at all costs. Yeah, I'm not even going to try glancing into the fanbase if/ when that happens.

Fanbase chaos aside, bringing everyone back as the next big game in the series, is just not a good direction for the series. Again, if this idea was just for a For Wii U port with some 3DS stages brought over to Wii U and stuff, and the next big game is focused way more on, well, anything else besides keeping all the old stuff, perfectly fine. But doing this for a new game entirely came at way too many costs. Way fewer base game newcomers is an obvious, but it didn't just come at the cost of that. Keeping all the vets and keeping almost all the old stages came at the cost of far fewer new content in general, cutting down on a good chunk of content, and even ignoring some glaring issues the series has like horrible online, that SSB needed more than literally every last vet and every last stage. Just because the point of Super Smash Bros. is to be a crossover does not mean nearly every other aspect of the game should be pushed to the sidelines for the sake of being as large of a crossover as possible.

... Yeah, not happy with this. Extremely unpopular opinion, I know.

Everybody Is Here satisfaction: 5%
... I like Wolf returning. He didn't need to absolutely return or anything, he's no Mewtwo who was just an unjustified cut, but I like playing as him a little too much for me to give a flat zero. Still, would've having a decent chunk of new content without waiting for DLC would've been much better.

... And yeah, when I said "Ridley should've been saved for something else"? Yeah, I would've preferred Ridley to be there instead of this game (and well, that new game existed instead of this game in the first place), but I won't let that sour how happy I am that Ridley finally showed up.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I know I dipped and diapered some time ago, but I might as well let my thoughts out.

Given this is liable to be my last go, might as well join the tradition of having fun names, no?

Ika Musume- 85%

I was a big fan of playing Splatoon on the WiiU, so it was natural that I would want them in. While I clearly wanted them in, there appearance was basically a gimmie. Thus, they lack that surprise "Wow" factor that made them getting in more fun. Still, I can't deny that they were some of my most wanted, so I was happy to let them in.

The kitchen sink - 50%

As time has come and gone, the more I've come to recognize what a problem Everyone is Here has meant. The lack of trophies. A lackluster single player mode. Base game having fewer newcomers. While I appreciate the attempt, given the next game what needs is going to be hard.

hiimdaisy - 45%

While I can try to be happy for her fans, this is arguably the most wasted space on the roster. Screeching the "echo" concept to it's limits in a bad way unlike Ken, Daisy is basically Peach in all but name. They could have at least tried making her different, but as it is now she's barely better than Alph.

The other K. Rool - 90%

Probably tying for "character I wanted most that actually made it in," Ridley was a major character that feel like he should have been in a long time ago. I can't give him prefect marks, as I believe a 100% satisfaction raking should be reserved for your #1 most wanted, but dang if he doesn't come close. It was thanks to him that I was inspired to get Samus Returns, my first Metroid game, so that was fun. Having such a long time requested character get in was amazing, especially sense that was a character I was following around sense the For era.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Satisfaction: 100%
This was the first sign that Ultimate was going to be a wild ride. Having to deal with cuts is something that everyone dreads for pretty much every fighter. For me personally, I had to deal that first hand with Dr. Mario & Young Link not being in Brawl and Lucas initially being cut from SSB4. So having it revealed off the bat that we wouldn't have to deal with this was a really nice refresher.

If I had to nitpick, this did sort of prevent us from getting more original characters and it's also gonna make cuts in the next game look very glaring. But being able to use every character in Smash history in one game more than makes up for it. I don't know what direction Smash will go in the future, but I'd like to see this happen again.

:ultinkling:
Satisfaction: 85%
I'm a sucker for new popular Nintendo IPs getting characters in Smash. Splatoon is no exception as I had a fun time with the original game in the brief time I played it. Inkling is also a character I enjoy gameplay-wise as I think the ink mechanic is a fun addition. Not exactly a character I was super hyped for (mainly because they were the most obvious pick) but still a welcomed addition to the Smash roster.

:ultdaisy:
Satisfaction: 65%
Being a Peach echo probably was the best scenario for her actually getting in, but yeah it really stinks that we didn't get to see Daisy have a more original moveset. I'm not asking for a fully unique moveset for Daisy, but perhaps an echo more akin to Chrom or Ken would've been a better route for her. There's just so much you can incorporate with the Mario spin-off games (as well as possibly even Mario Land) that it feels like her potential was slightly wasted. I can only hope that we get some proper Mario spinoff game representation when Waluigi gets into Smash in the far, far off future.

Still though, I like Daisy as a character so it's nice to have her. Although I agree with others in that I often forget she is here.

:ultridley:
Satisfaction: 70%
I was never much of a Ridley supporter but seeing him get in was really great. He's one of the longtime fan requests which is always great to have. Similar to Sora and K. Rool, this is just one of those reveals that you just can't really hate. I'm not too much of a fan of his gameplay though.

worthy of what?
Worthy of being a great game (or being in the game) of course.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Kid or Squid? That is the question.
Inkling: 80%

The first and easiest to guess newcomer. Their moves are fresh while also requiring you to think about when to use their Ink attacks to cover opponents. Their moveset, while a fine treat for Splatoon fans, is a bit campy since you need to keep an eye on the ink meter lest you become sushi. Stage is chaotic and the music is definitely nice.

Oh hey, they're adding Kirby to the game!
Everyone is Here: 100%

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Everyone returning was a great idea since it guaranteed everyone would have a favorite from a past game to choose from! The Snake part gave me chills when I first saw it, it was the wham shot of the whole thing.

No "Hi I'm Daisy" taunt...
Daisy: 60%

I've always preferred Daisy over Peach so getting Daisy in was nice. Her being a easy echo meant she could be easy to use. Downside with that though is that she has no real gameplay differences beyond a animation or two. Which if I am a little honest is disappointing to me... either way she's a decent addition in my book.

The character who had a Miiverse meme made out of him only for the meme to receive their own game.
Ridley: 90%

Gonna be honest, I barely played any Metroid before Ridley got confirmed. But the trailer sold me on the Space Pirate instantly due to sheer hype. His moveset although lacking in a few areas definitely showcases Ridley's motive of fierceness and cunning. The Final Smash is also one of my personal favorites due to Samus's Gunship showing up in the background after, something I wish more Final Smashes did.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I wouldn't mind partaking in these memory lane days. So let's begin:

:ultinkling:: Be a kid now. Be a squid now. BE TRAUMATISED FOR LIFE BY A FLAMING SMASH BALL PERMANENTLY SCARRING YOUR EYE FOR THREE YEARS NOW.
The Inklings are one of those additions where literally nobody had any real doubt whether they would make it to Smash Ultimate in the first place. Splatoon did extremely well and has now blossomed into a wonderful new IP and franchise for Nintendo. A real life-breather for the shooter genre of games too, as it really stood out for being colourful and just fun. As for the Inklings, I've always wanted them for Smash since the beginning of Splatoon, so I'm pretty satisfied with them. 85%.

EVERYONE IS HERE: :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultwolf:
This is THE moment of Smash Ultimate's identity. No character left behind. Even the forgettable ones from Melee like Pichu or Young Link - they're all here. Ice Climbers coming back was very welcome due to what happened with Smash 4, Wolf was a very unfortunate cut for no real reason, Snake had the whole deal with Konami... But Sakurai brought them all back. Not to mention other characters getting great new redesigns here too - Ganondorf getting his OoT design, Zelda with a fusion of Link to the Past/Link Between Worlds design and more livelier personality. Leaf being an alt for Pokémon Trainer is great too. 200% Satisfaction

:ultdaisy:: HIIMDAISY
When I was still half-awake checking all the news, I briefly scrolled by Daisy's name and groaned a little bit. "Seriously... Daisy...? Oh well." Granted I wasn't aware of her being an Echo until later, and ultimately harmless. She's okay in the broader scheme of things, not a big fan of her - though that said I love the red and black costume when I do feel like playing her - maybe admittedly play her over Peach. But she's okay, not really exciting for me. 25%

:ultridley:: RIDLEY HITS THE BIG TIME
This was incredible. I couldn't initially believe that Ridley was in the game. Sometimes with how much Smash Ultimate's evolved, it's easy to forget that one of the headliners for this game was that RIDLEY IS FINALLY PLAYABLE IN SMASH BROS. After all these years, Ridley has gone from a stage background character on Planet Zebes, part of Melee's intro and trophies, two boss fights in Brawl and a stage-hazard/assist in Smash 4, to finally becoming a playable character. How'd they do it? By making a completely new design for Ridley that's the right butter-zone for his size (based off the NES game) and truly highlighting how vicious and wicked he truly is. spins Mario's hat Nothing else really speaks how hard-hitting Ultimate will be by topping off the E3 2018 reveal with RIDLEY. I still love playing as Ridley to this day, though I do feel his Up and Down specials could do with some refinement here and there. But he's still freaking Ridley. Satisfaction: 1000%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I probably won't participate in most of these satisfaction days since I just lack the time and energy to give write-ups for characters I mostly feel neutral about.
Though I will try to show up for Day 9, 10 and especially 11.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
Okie doke! Here's mine!

:ultinkling:: I thought it was cool seeing them seeing the flaming smash ball to start of the smash. It was quite cool! And it made wonder who would be in the roster.
75%

Everyone is HERE!: Whoa! I was surprised that NO ONE was cut and ALL of the cut characters were returning! It was very sweet! 100%

:ultdaisy:: Ah, I didn't expect to see her but I'm alright with her being Peach's echo fighter. 50%

:ultridley:: EEEEEEEEEE! I was squealing when I saw him. Ridley was one of the characters I wanted to see playing and I was squealing with joy! 100%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Inklings

Satisfaction: 50% -
No doubt they deserved it, it was the first new major IP for 14 years (Previously held by Pikmin, which came in 2001) and did a lot to revitalize the Wii U, along with being a very creative take on shooters! I'm also impressed with how well their gameplay translated into Smash. Still, I've never been the biggest Splatoon fan, and while I was initially impressed, I had a massive falling out with the franchise and its' community. Nonetheless, I wasn't really surprised that this happened, they probably would've been the only characters to get a true 100% chance score if they hadn't been revealed alongside Ultimate.

Everyone is Here!

Satisfaction: 95% -
Gonna dock a few points here for a couple of reasons. The obligation to bring everyone back meant that baggage from previous games like Dark Pit and Corrin were brought back (and the latter definitely didn't help with FE's overwhelming presence), and I wasn't exactly begging for Young Link or Pichu. H***, I didn't even miss the Ice Climbers when they were cut last game! Alongside that, this meant that a lot of cooler potential newcomers got the shaft as a result, and if it weren't for the obligation to bring everyone back, we could've gotten even more big fan requests in the base game. Still, aside from all of that it was a great decision! It was a great way to celebrate Sakurai's franchise and bring everyone together for the most ambitious entry yet! It also felt good to see some old pals again! Brawl was my favorite Smash game, so it felt great to see Snake again, along with Pokemon trainer feeling whole! It was great not having to speculate cut characters either (I remember the back and forth Wolf speculation of the late Smash 4 days, I remember him being on so many fake leaks xP), it meant that every character was a newcomer surprise! Despite a couple of issues, it was a fantastic idea and I hope they get the chance to keep it going!

Daisy

Satisfaction: 80% -
You can never have too many Mario character, and bringing Daisy in as an echo was a clever way to get her on the roster! While I think there's some missed potential by not changing up some of her moves like other echoes get, and how much I dislike Sakurai's reasoning on letting her in over Waluigi (is a five-second appearance at the end of Super Mario Land really that much of a difference?). But aside from that she was a very good idea and a great way to introduce echo fighters!

Ridley

Satisfaction: 100% -
While I'm not a Metroid fan myself (and I hated his trailer, and how it began the Mario torture porn parade) this felt like a genuine victory! I always felt bad for Samus for having to ride solo for four games straight, and I always thought Ridley could work as a playable fighter (since size changes have already been done with Olimar). He was the perfect way to not only to celebrate E3 but to set the stage for a parade of big requests for the base game! I have no qualms with Ridley's inclusion, he's deserved it for years and I'm super happy with the choice!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Originally I wanted to keep this day a little longer due to not enough activity, but it’s time to move on. I will give a full 12 hours just in case though, since we are in the end times I can be a lot more lenient.

Now we are onto the 8/8 direct. The Belmonts were leaked beforehand due to a website goof, but we were surprised to not only get Simon, but his echo fighter Richter. Speaking of echos, we got two more echos in the form of Chrom getting his chance another day and Dark Samus corrupting the scene. Finally, the kremling kommander who kommandeared a kollosal portion of ballot votes made his big debut. How do these five stand nowadays? Rate these five in satisfaction.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Inklings: 100%
While I haven't played Splatoon yet, they seem pretty fun to play as in this game. And seriously, they had no reason not to be included in Smash.
Ridley: 100%
I was never the biggest (heh) Ridley supporter, but I've always wanted him. I'm glad Sakurai finally listened.
:snake:, :wolf:, :popo:, :pt:, :ivysaur:, :squirtle:, :pichumelee:, :younglinkmelee:, and EVERYONE: 100%
I've always wanted this, but never thought it would actually happen.
I think this song sums up how I feel:
My opinions on these 3 haven't really changed.
:ultdaisy:, however, is a bit of a weird case.
On one hand, she's basically an an alt costume, so it didn't take that much effort from the devs to get her in the game. On the other hand, she's basically an alt costume, when they could have done more. I'm not asking her to be like Ken or anything, maybe something more like the Melee clones, who all more or less had the same movesets as their parent characters, but used some moves in different ways or had stat differences that made them play differently. Daisy has none of that. There is absolutely no difference between playing as Daisy and playing as Peach.
Anyway, to make a long story short, her score has been lowered from 70% to 50%.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
new super belmont bros
im pairing them together with 0% theyre so dull. honestly i kept forgetting castlevania was even a thing. its just not my thing, i dont get horror and i couldnt care less about vampire/demon hunter type characters. plus there moveset isnt great either, axes, crosses and whips? big deal. i also dont get why theyre had to be two of them? come on there were way better echo choices. you all kept calling daisy a glorified alt for only being a tiny bit shorter than peach well surely its the same here exactly the same bar their down special.

wind roy
ill give chrom a 5%. i do like him as a character but the trouble is that he just part of a bigger FE problem. its bad enough that theres so many of them but do they have to keep going for the most boring of them. marth, roy, robin, corrin, byleth are so dull it doesnt matter how unique their movesets are they might as well be a parade of watching paint dry. i like chrom and he would have been a lot better than those 5 on the roster just not as well as.

electro samus
she gets a 20%. for the most part i cant stand the edgy doppelganger arch type with one or two exceptions, dark samus being one of them. h=the lore about her and phazon make her interesting and makes it a bit more worth having her.

king, captain, baron, boxer
he gets 40%. same reasons as ridley not a character i supported or wanted but i can apricate how he made his fans feel and his moveset is fun. he gets more than ridley cause his movseet is also hilarious. between the helicopter pack and the cartoonish blunderbuss its just funny to have him. plus he's got a FS based on the dk64 game over which i freaking love.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Simon: 80% - I'm very happy they chose the classic design, Smash Simon is the definitive Simon to me. He's a fun character too, and I actually don't mind playing against him either despite him being a zoner in a game with terrible online. He brought top tier music with him as well, and Castlevania is just a great series to have in the game, so there's a lot to love about his inclusion.

Richter: 80% - While I like Simon's games better, I've found myself playing Richter more, which might be a bit odd since there are no real differences between them gameplay-wise, unless we count that very specific Pikmin and Holy Water interaction. He just has the better voice lines and the more stylish win screens, and that's enough for one echo to win out over the other.

Chrom: 50% - Chrom is easily the most boring out of Awakening's main trio imo, but he does at least make for a cool alternative to Roy with his gameplay changes. Dragging opponents down with Aether is never going to get boring. I will say that he's probably the worst looking character in the game however, it feels like he was a very rushed last minute addition, his clapping animation in particular is so, so bad.

Dark Samus: 90% - Would it have been better if Dark Samus was unique? Of course. But being an echo is the only realistic way she was ever going to get in, and for what she is they did pretty well. She may not have any actual gameplay changes, but the impact of everything she does feels very different from Samus, her slow and drawn out movements make for a cool contrast to Samus' snappier animations. Yes, I did just criticize Daisy before for having no changes, but when it comes to Metroid I'm mega-biased, so I'm shamelessly going to be hypocritical here.

King K. Rool: 95% - Few fanbases deserved this as much as the K. Rool fanbase did, I was so pleased on their behalf. K. Rool also had my favorite trailer for this game, it was funny and magical all the same. K. Rool was never likely to be a character I'd main, but I do bust him out from time to time in casual matches, he's just easy and fun to pick up, and his moveset is perfect for him. He also became one of my older brother's mains, which between K. Rool, Dedede and Bowser I guess he just has a thing for chunky animal kings. With K. Rool's announcement Ultimate felt complete, it hit all the right spots and made up for the disappointments I had with Smash 4's newcomer cast.

As you can probably tell by the scores, I loved the 8/8 Direct, even looking past the character reveals it was great to get some better insight into the game as a whole. Ultimate was already looking like a dream game after E3, but this Direct somehow made me even more excited for it, and significantly so. My ratings have been quite high so far, but I did think Ultimate's reveals peaked early on, so there aren't going to be many more ratings in the 90% region.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Belmonts - 102%

Oh man, there is so much for me to unpack here. First, let me say that after the E3 2018 presentation, that was the first time when I started to really dream about other characters. Now during that time, I was at the peak of my Castlevania obsession. I was playing through a lot of the games and I was infatuated with the series. Super Castlevania 4 ss one of my favorite games and the game that got me into retro gaming. So I began to imagine Simon being in the game, with his whip-based moveset and an eerie castle stage. He was easily my top most wanted at the time, little did I know, my dream was about to come true.

Now leading up to the August Direct, I actually did not hear about Bloody Tears leaking on the website so I managed to go into the direct blind. I remembered sitting there in anticipation and low and behold it opened with a shot of a castle. "Castle??" Castlevania??!!" I thought. And then I witnessed one of my all time Smash trailers. I love it. Luigi running around getting into situations that are out of his league, the various monsters making appearances, and also, Luigi dies! Holy ****. That was a real shock. But then a whip flies through the air, hitting the grim reaper in the dam face. Ouch! That was badass! Then, the buildup to the hooded figure happened and "Simon Lashes Out!. I wish I could have recorded my reaction because this was one of the most hype moments in my life, period. OMG his moveset was spot on. It's exactly how I imagined him to be. His normal attacks all using the whip and his specials using the various items I had used to vanquish dozens upon dozens of monsters with. It was unreal.

But then they showed the stage. My jaw dropped at how beautifully haunting it was. Then they revealed Dracula, holy ****. And if that wasn't awesome enough, here comes Richter with his iconic line and his trailer started. "Really?? Richter is here too! He looks great, and look they gave him his pose, that's amazing!" But they dropped another bomb, Alucard as an assist trophy. What! They are spoiling us!

By this point, they had already sped past my expectations and broke the hype scale. And if that wasn't enough, they dropped one last big bomb shell. 34 music tracks! It was literally all the songs I had ever wanted and more. A remix of Bloody Tears, Beginning, and Bloodlines. Two versions of Simon's theme, two versions, of Vampire Killer, and a bunch of other cool tracks that I had the honor of listening to for the first time.

Then they went over the stage. I love the details like how the candles drop items once hit and all of the monster cameos. It's just awesome. And all of the other details like the bats flying around in the background and the spooky sounds, I couldn't believe the extent that they had went to to translating one of my favorite series into Smash. In terms of the quality, moveset, and overall content, Castlevania is at the top. Out of my favorite characters, the Belmonts certainly got the red carpet treatment. My only gripe is that I wish the monsters on the stage were actually hazards, but other than that I couldn't be any happier with the care that Castlevania got.

Chrom - 70%

I don't care about Fire Emblem but I didn't mind him at all since he was just an echo and he came right after the Belmonts so I was still in hype mode. Out of the FE cast, he's one of the characters I play the most. I just think he's really fun with a good mix of speed and damage. I don't have much to say, I'm fine with him being in Smash since he was highly requested and he did what he set out to do. "One day, I'll join."

Dark Samus - 50%

This one confused me. Sakurai said that Dark Samus was highly requested and yet I heard barely anyone talk about her. It might have been just to give Metroid that extra bit of content to cement it having good representation. But anyway this is just a meh to me. I'm not a Metroid fan and I barely use Samus so this character just "exists" and that's it for me.

The best pirate - 100%

What a hype way to end off the August Direct with. K. Rool and Ridley really cemented this as the fan favorite Smash game and the former was what really broke the relevancy fan rule. I dig his trailer, it was hilarious with the fakeout. And in general, I love his moveset and personality. I like tanky characters so he's right up there as one of my most used characters. I think he's really fun, they pulled some neat stuff with his moveset like his neutral special which can suck up opponents, or it can suck the cannon back up and fire it in the air (I got countless cool kills with this method). He's also one of my favorites to use online. My best friend and I do double K. Rools a lot and we are borderline unstoppable.

He's also just funny in general. His taunt where he yaps at the screen is one of my favorites and he's very animated. He's arguably one of the characters with the most personality. Overall, he's a great inclusion. Donkey Kong needed another rep and it's always cool to get playable villains.

Top Bottom