• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Genuinely no clue at this point.

Let's go with...Kratos or something equally highly unlikely.

Edit: Or AiAi. Screw it, Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania came out recently and is associated with Nintendo consoles, why not?

I'm honestly more interested in just seeing the end of the Smash DLC than who the fighter actually is.

Almost three years since launch is a little too long to drag any DLC period out for me, but I want to see it done.

Looking forward to the next Smash game, but I've had DLC speculation fatigue for Ultimate since last year now.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
My goodness. I mean, come on. There are literally hundreds of possibilities and I'm supposed to narrow it down to only one? I'll highlight some of the standouts that I really have my eye on, but frankly, even if I listed the Top 30 possibilities, I still wouldn't bet on them. It's just so difficult to fathom that there is only one character remaining. But where's the fun in simply waiting? I might as well bet on something, so **** it!

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

I'll call this my main prediction. He used to be mentioned by pretty much everyone, but is now considered highly unlikely; some even argue that he's deconfirmed. He's become a bit of an underdog, which only makes me root for him even more! Koei Tecmo is easily the most noteworthy company without a playable fighter in Smash. This mainstream Japanese developer has been around for decades and has worked extremely closely with Nintendo, especially in recent years. Despite this, the only KT content in Smash is either owned by a different company (Hyrule Warriors, Persona Strikers), or co-owned by Nintendo (Fatal Frame). Even Ubisoft, another company known for working closely with Nintendo, has plenty of Spirits and Mii costumes from their biggest franchises. Weird that we haven't seen so much as a Ninja Gaiden spirit event, or a DoA Mii costume, or a Dynasty Warriors music track. But if we were to get a Ryu Hayabusa character drop, along with plenty of music and Mii costumes from KT's other works à la SNK, then that would be a very fitting love letter to one of Nintendo's most loyal partners. Everyone discounted Tekken after Heihachi's Mii costume and then we got Kazuya right when everyone had written him off. Everyone assumed that ARMS was out given all of its spirits that were in Ultimate, then boom. Byleth was slowly forgotten as all of the previous DLC characters made us think that first parties were out. Like Tekken content, an ARMS fighter, and a Three Houses rep, Hayabusa was once considered incredibly likely, to the point of being a no-brainer, only to be written off by everyone for some random pattern/fan-rule/"hard deconfirmation." I won't lie - the interviews stating that Hayabusa won't be coming to Smash are a hard knock against him, but it is by no means the nail in the coffin. Developers are always gonna try their best to keep important announcements under wraps, so they are expected to say either "no" or "maybe" regardless of whether or not their character is coming to Smash. This community seems to love writing off characters just before they're announced, which only makes my gut all the more confident in the Ultimate Ninja.

Master Chief (Halo)

If we are getting some huge, mind-blowing reveal, then MC would be my pick. Come on, are you really gonna ask Microsoft for two characters, yet completely ignore the mascot of Xbox? In my opinion, this is one of the only characters that might be able to outshine the likes of Steve and Sephiroth, which would potentially justify holding him off for the final reveal. "Master Chief Finishes the Fight!" It writes itself! That's really all there is to it. Nintendo has collabed with Microsoft for multiple characters in Ultimate, and Master Chief is like, an A-list video game character. How could Nintendo not want him in Smash?

Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Elephant in the room, I guess. I've never been too high on Sora's chances, but a lot of stuff has come up in his favor lately. I don't wanna say that I believe all the leaks, but I won't deny that they've made me think about his chances a lot more. He tops a lot of fan polls and is massively popular all over the world. While Kingdom Hearts as a series is kind of vague as to whether or not it fits the "originate in a video game" rule, Sora specifically is undeniably a vg character and has plenty of right to be in Smash. One of the reasons I doubted his chances was because it sounded like way too much hassle to get the rights for his inclusion. We know that Square music is difficult to secure, that communication overseas comes with many challenges, and that Disney might not be the easiest company to deal with. Despite this, when you're as popular as Sora, that might not matter. Steve had a lot of hurdles, but when a character is from the best-selling game of all-time, you'll make it work. Jumping through hoops to make Sora playable might be a pain, but when he's possibly the biggest Smash request out there...maybe they'll make it work. I have my doubts, but I get why Sora shouldn't be slept on.

I also don't mind saying this because I don't give a **** about KH. I won't be sorely disappointed if he doesn't make it, but man would that be a wild reveal!

Cinderace (Pokémon)

The bad timeline. We have pretty good reason to think that they probably won't disappoint us with some promotional Nintendo character, but...fool me once. This is a very real possibility and we all know it. I hope this doesn't happen, but if I'm gonna bet on anyone...disappointment isn't a bad bet because that way, even if I'm wrong, I still win.

Chozo Warrior Guy (Metroid Dread)

Sounds crazy that we would get a character from a game that isn't even out yet, but hot damn they are really promoting Dread. Frankly, despite the game being unreleased, this might be one of the few promotional picks that wouldn't upset people. Nintendo seems confident that Dread will be amazing. They also seem confident that FP11 will be pretty amazing. Nintendo isn't above a cross-promotion like this, and while it sounds absurd, I can't get this possibility out of my head. E.M.M.I. is possible too, but that Chozo Warrior just looks too perfect...

Rhythm Heaven

Yeah why not? We pretty much know for a fact that RH was almost included in Smash 4, so surely a character from this series could show up at any second. I feel like Sakurai has this whole gameplay mechanic/moveset made up for a RH character that he never got to fulfil for whatever reason (likely 3DS limitations). There's still no RH game on the Switch, which is...weird, but there also wasn't any Banjo games on the Switch before BK's reveal so...

Honorable mentions to Toad, Waluigi, Rayman, Sol, Arle, Demi-Fiend, and about a hundred others, but I'll stick to those six. I'd say that there's about a 2% chance that FP11 is any of the characters I mentioned, but that's half the fun right? Anything can happen! I'm extremely excited to see how this game ends, whether it's one of my dream characters like Isaac, a big crowd pleaser like Crash, or a "come on you gotta be kidding me" like the FE Heroes avatar. It'll be so sweet to see Sakurai's most ambitious work to date finally completed. The Smash Team has done such an amazing job that I have complete faith that whatever they give us will make me happy. Some people will be bitter, but those people are out of their mind. How could you possibly be upset with a game like this? It was already the best crossover of all time three years ago. Everything else is just the icing on top of the biggest, most delicious cake in the entire galaxy.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Since this is the very last one, I can't help but join in on the prediction fun:

Top prediction: I'm calling Akari/Rei, from Pokemon Legends: Arceus, as a new pokemon trainer character with Decidueye. Maybe dewott and cyndaquil as well?

Honorable mention of ones I think are likely but not super exciting for me:
  • Main character from SMTV
  • Jonesy from Fortnite

Honorable mention of ones I think are less likely but much more desired
  • 2nd Splatoon rep (Octoling, Off the Hook, DJ Octavio)
  • Crash
  • Waluigi
  • 2nd Sonic rep (Robotnik, Tails)

And things that feel are impossible now that I would still want
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
  • Dixie Kong
  • Elma
  • Lyn
  • 4th Kid Icarus Uprising character (Viridi, Hades)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
My goodness. I mean, come on. There are literally hundreds of possibilities and I'm supposed to narrow it down to only one? I'll highlight some of the standouts that I really have my eye on, but frankly, even if I listed the Top 30 possibilities, I still wouldn't bet on them. It's just so difficult to fathom that there is only one character remaining. But where's the fun in simply waiting? I might as well bet on something, so **** it!

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

I'll call this my main prediction. He used to be mentioned by pretty much everyone, but is now considered highly unlikely; some even argue that he's deconfirmed. He's become a bit of an underdog, which only makes me root for him even more! Koei Tecmo is easily the most noteworthy company without a playable fighter in Smash. This mainstream Japanese developer has been around for decades and has worked extremely closely with Nintendo, especially in recent years. Despite this, the only KT content in Smash is either owned by a different company (Hyrule Warriors, Persona Strikers), or co-owned by Nintendo (Fatal Frame). Even Ubisoft, another company known for working closely with Nintendo, has plenty of Spirits and Mii costumes from their biggest franchises. Weird that we haven't seen so much as a Ninja Gaiden spirit event, or a DoA Mii costume, or a Dynasty Warriors music track. But if we were to get a Ryu Hayabusa character drop, along with plenty of music and Mii costumes from KT's other works à la SNK, then that would be a very fitting love letter to one of Nintendo's most loyal partners. Everyone discounted Tekken after Heihachi's Mii costume and then we got Kazuya right when everyone had written him off. Everyone assumed that ARMS was out given all of its spirits that were in Ultimate, then boom. Byleth was slowly forgotten as all of the previous DLC characters made us think that first parties were out. Like Tekken content, an ARMS fighter, and a Three Houses rep, Hayabusa was once considered incredibly likely, to the point of being a no-brainer, only to be written off by everyone for some random pattern/fan-rule/"hard deconfirmation." I won't lie - the interviews stating that Hayabusa won't be coming to Smash are a hard knock against him, but it is by no means the nail in the coffin. Developers are always gonna try their best to keep important announcements under wraps, so they are expected to say either "no" or "maybe" regardless of whether or not their character is coming to Smash. This community seems to love writing off characters just before they're announced, which only makes my gut all the more confident in the Ultimate Ninja.

Master Chief (Halo)

If we are getting some huge, mind-blowing reveal, then MC would be my pick. Come on, are you really gonna ask Microsoft for two characters, yet completely ignore the mascot of Xbox? In my opinion, this is one of the only characters that might be able to outshine the likes of Steve and Sephiroth, which would potentially justify holding him off for the final reveal. "Master Chief Finishes the Fight!" It writes itself! That's really all there is to it. Nintendo has collabed with Microsoft for multiple characters in Ultimate, and Master Chief is like, an A-list video game character. How could Nintendo not want him in Smash?

Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Elephant in the room, I guess. I've never been too high on Sora's chances, but a lot of stuff has come up in his favor lately. I don't wanna say that I believe all the leaks, but I won't deny that they've made me think about his chances a lot more. He tops a lot of fan polls and is massively popular all over the world. While Kingdom Hearts as a series is kind of vague as to whether or not it fits the "originate in a video game" rule, Sora specifically is undeniably a vg character and has plenty of right to be in Smash. One of the reasons I doubted his chances was because it sounded like way too much hassle to get the rights for his inclusion. We know that Square music is difficult to secure, that communication overseas comes with many challenges, and that Disney might not be the easiest company to deal with. Despite this, when you're as popular as Sora, that might not matter. Steve had a lot of hurdles, but when a character is from the best-selling game of all-time, you'll make it work. Jumping through hoops to make Sora playable might be a pain, but when he's possibly the biggest Smash request out there...maybe they'll make it work. I have my doubts, but I get why Sora shouldn't be slept on.

I also don't mind saying this because I don't give a **** about KH. I won't be sorely disappointed if he doesn't make it, but man would that be a wild reveal!

Cinderace (Pokémon)

The bad timeline. We have pretty good reason to think that they probably won't disappoint us with some promotional Nintendo character, but...fool me once. This is a very real possibility and we all know it. I hope this doesn't happen, but if I'm gonna bet on anyone...disappointment isn't a bad bet because that way, even if I'm wrong, I still win.

Chozo Warrior Guy (Metroid Dread)

Sounds crazy that we would get a character from a game that isn't even out yet, but hot damn they are really promoting Dread. Frankly, despite the game being unreleased, this might be one of the few promotional picks that wouldn't upset people. Nintendo seems confident that Dread will be amazing. They also seem confident that FP11 will be pretty amazing. Nintendo isn't above a cross-promotion like this, and while it sounds absurd, I can't get this possibility out of my head. E.M.M.I. is possible too, but that Chozo Warrior just looks too perfect...

Rhythm Heaven

Yeah why not? We pretty much know for a fact that RH was almost included in Smash 4, so surely a character from this series could show up at any second. I feel like Sakurai has this whole gameplay mechanic/moveset made up for a RH character that he never got to fulfil for whatever reason (likely 3DS limitations). There's still no RH game on the Switch, which is...weird, but there also wasn't any Banjo games on the Switch before BK's reveal so...

Honorable mentions to Toad, Waluigi, Rayman, Sol, Arle, Demi-Fiend, and about a hundred others, but I'll stick to those six. I'd say that there's about a 2% chance that FP11 is any of the characters I mentioned, but that's half the fun right? Anything can happen! I'm extremely excited to see how this game ends, whether it's one of my dream characters like Isaac, a big crowd pleaser like Crash, or a "come on you gotta be kidding me" like the FE Heroes avatar. It'll be so sweet to see Sakurai's most ambitious work to date finally completed. The Smash Team has done such an amazing job that I have complete faith that whatever they give us will make me happy. Some people will be bitter, but those people are out of their mind. How could you possibly be upset with a game like this? It was already the best crossover of all time three years ago. Everything else is just the icing on top of the biggest, most delicious cake in the entire galaxy.
Considering your signature, I'm surprised you didn't put any bets on Rayman! He's actually in a good spot right now!

1. Our last Mii wave showed us that Miis are the fate of characters who's hype started way too late (sans Lloyd, no idea what happened with him). Rayman had a BIG head start on the competition thanks to the hype surrounding Rayman Legends in 2013, along with ArtsyOmni in 2014.

2. Rayman was nowhere to be seen with Ubisoft's mii costumes.

3. FP11 and Kazuya were more than likely switched, thanks to tournament numbers. So Fp11 was the original E3 reveal and had to be E3 levels of big. Rayman fits this, especially for a western event.

4. Sakurai's tweets specifically to the Japanese fanbase that they may not know the character. Rayman's basically unknown in Japan.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Final Smash Direct Predictions

Who I think it'll be:

After Sakurai's tweet from last night, I think big name characters that are widely known to the general public probably aren't happening. Now granted there might be some leeway since that tweet was directed towards the Japanese audience, so maybe a Western character like Master Chief wouldn't apply with the quote. But characters like Sora (who is a major Smash request on both sides of the globe) and Eggman (who pretty much everyone knows) are done for in my eyes. I just don't see why Sakurai would go out of his way to say something like that if the final character was a universally known pick for Smash. Even without the tweet, I just don't see why they'd release one of their big names at the very end of the pass and not earlier to bring in more hyped.

So with all of this in mind, who am I going to guess in the end? Call this a hunch or a delusional dream (because that's what this mostly is) but I'm gonna go with...

Quote from Cave Story

1633350675356.png

He's got legacy as his game inspired a lot of other indies (including Undertale), an almost entirely Nintendo-exclusive history, and I think generally fits the bill for CP11 being a more lowkey pick. He's also one of the only indies left in the running for Ultimate as his series hasn't gotten content yet. And if the Sakurai tweet about it being a more unknown pick is true, that might eliminate Reimu since Touhou is massive in Japan.

The Nicalis toxicity stuff doesn't mean anything since the FP2 lineup was decided before that was publicly revealed. Even if it did happen earlier, Nintendo is not going to care about it at all. So Quote's only real hurdle is that he is technically owned by a Western company, but considering how small Nicalis is compared to other companies I think they'd be more than willing to communicate.

And yes I'm well aware that I'm probably going to be wrong as hell on this but we're at the end so I'm gonna go out blazing.

Other characters I think could happen:
  • Phoenix Wright - This might be cutting it close with how popular the series is, but I think it's still a more smaller pick compared to all of the other 3rd parties we got in this pass. I can see Nick being used for the finale especially how just about every other Capcom series has gotten content in Ultimate so far.
  • A Falcom rep - This has been talked a lot before but I can see someone like Adol or Rean being a Terry-like legacy pick to rep Falcom as a whole.
  • A Pokemon rep - Yeah I still have this hunch that this might still happen. Gen 8 getting no content in Ultimate outside of that launch day spirit event despite being one of the biggest games on Switch still feels weird. If this does happen, my bet is on Rillaboom followed by Cinderace.
  • A Rhythm Heaven rep - We almost got a RH character in SSB4. Chorus Kids is even the only Gematsu Leak character not yet playable, so I could perhaps see Sakurai coming back to this idea like he did with Tekken.
  • Rayman - One of his biggest hurdles to me was his lack of popularity in Japan, which I still view that as an issue even now. However given Nintendo's relationship with Ubisoft, CP11 most likely being more lowkey, and last night's tweet from Sakurai, I could see this actually happening.
  • Master Chief - I'm still doubtful of this because I don't see the final character being a big name. But at the same time, Chief would fit Sakurai's quote well (since it was directed towards the Japanese audience) plus there's been talks of Nintendo working with Microsoft in recent years.
Aside from a new Pokemon, I'd be ok with any of the above happening.

Who I actually want:

FP2 has been pretty disappointing to me so far, so I'm sort of hoping the final character is one of my most wanted. I'll just throw out some names that would get me super excited:
  • Andy (Advance Wars)
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Crash
  • Waluigi
  • Ashley
  • Neku
  • Axel Stone
  • Arle Nadja
  • Kyo Kusanagi (not happening but let me dream)
Regardless of who the character actually is (even if it is someone like... Rillaboom), I've gotten two of my most wanted in Ultimate (Isabelle and Terry) so I'll try not to be too upset over who CP11 is.

Mii Costumes:

I don't even think it's possible to accurately guess these so I'm just gonna throw out some neat ideas for the final costume wave:
  • Rayman - We've seen that limbless costumes are possible after the Minecraft wave. I can see this being a way to satisfy fans without committing to a full character due to the lack of Rayman in Japan.
  • Scorpion - One of the more crazy ideas but I can see this happening to appease to MK fans without making him a character due to the lack of MK in Japan.
  • Master Chief - Perhaps Nintendo did something with Microsoft? I don't know I just feel like we need a really ground-breaking mii costume for the end.
  • Shovel Knight - Bomberman went from an AT to a costume and I can see the same happening for Shovel Knight.
  • Ryu Hayabusa - I can easily see Koei Tecmo getting a costume and Hayabusa is the best bet.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Considering your signature, I'm surprised you didn't put any bets on Rayman! He's actually in a good spot right now!

1. Our last Mii wave showed us that Miis are the fate of characters who's hype started way too late (sans Lloyd, no idea what happened with him). Rayman had a BIG head start on the competition thanks to the hype surrounding Rayman Legends in 2013, along with ArtsyOmni in 2014.

2. Rayman was nowhere to be seen with Ubisoft's mii costumes.

3. FP11 and Kazuya were more than likely switched, thanks to tournament numbers. So Fp11 was the original E3 reveal and had to be E3 levels of big. Rayman fits this, especially for a western event.

4. Sakurai's tweets specifically to the Japanese fanbase that they may not know the character. Rayman's basically unknown in Japan.
Haha yeah you’re totally right! I threw him in my honorable mentions, mainly because he just didn’t come to mind until after I wrote about the other six lol. But yeah, he has always had a lot in his favor and I didn’t even realize some of the stuff you mentioned. He hasn’t been commonly speculated in years, so he fits really well as someone who would come right when we least expect it…Here’s hoping.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've... given up predicting Smash. It doesn't help that I know for a fact that no matter who it is, they'll get blacklash by virtue of being the final character. That being said, I'm just gonna follow my bias (as many of us are) and say that Euden still has a shot at getting in. I mean, if the reveal starts with Sakurai pulling out a cell phone, that's who I'm betting.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
It could be anyone. Every time I think I've got a finger on it, I get proven wrong. I did not expect anyone from the majority of Season 2. Here's my final thoughts though:

Sora (Kingdom Hearts) Sora would be in the top 3 or so characters that would garner the biggest hype. I could easily see this character being kept for the finale. Honestly, they could've held Sephiroth for this position and done just as well. Square Enix has some of the most requested characters in their pocket and they've been generous this go around. I think this could happen.

Master Chief (Halo) I would put this in the top 3 for biggest hype with Western audiences at least. He's iconic to gaming, but I'm not sure if this would be a great ending for the Japanese audience. It could be anti-climatic for them? I know the franchise is at least recognizable over there, but I don't know if it's worthy of a final character. Still, I rate this high due to the same reason Sora is on this list. Microsoft was as generous as Square Enix.

Crash Bandicoot This would be the final character for my Top 3 Biggest Hype characters. He's well known across the globe. The only hurdle is the association with Activision Blizzard, but I don't think Nintendo would've had time to change plans.

Pokémon This is my Nintendo pick if they decide to end with a First Party character. Which character is completely up in the air. I think Urshifu would have the highest chance since his design is literally a fighter. I'm not keen on it being any of the starter Pokémon. Cinderace and Intelleon would just be duplicating the Fire Type Incineroar and Water Type Greninja. Rillaboom is just Donkey Kong with drums. Toxtricity would be the most out-there pick for a Gen 8 Pokémon. However, I don't see why it has to be Gen 8. Due to the upcoming Sinnoh games, I've been saying Cynthia would be a great pick. This is clearly an out-of-left field pick and I've not seen anyone else suggest it. She'd be my dark horse pick.

Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, Lara Croft These would be possible surprise picks. I think they all have chances, and I think Croft's chances are higher than people may suspect.

NOT Expecting: I do not expect Waluigi, Geno, Travis, Dante, Shantae, or Isaac. Waluigi has the most hype, but I've not heard any good reason why he should be upgraded beyond the usual "Because I really LIKE him" argument. Of the five, Waluigi and Isaac have the best chances to prove me wrong. MAYBE they'd upgrade an Assist Trophy from the Base Game due to fan demand... but I don't think costumes added as purchasable assets during the DLC have any chance. I also don't expect Rhythm Heaven, Professor Layton, Agumon, Leon ... their chances have passed.

Echo Fighter I think a great surprise bonus would be for the new Fighter get an unexpected Echo Fighter. Sora could get someone from his franchise (not sure who'd fit best as I don't play the games. Kairi?) Master Chief could have The Arbiter? All that being said ... I'm not really expecting an Echo Fighter ... just saying it be a really cool parting gift.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
While i can't give a deep prediction, i still give shoutouts to the likes of Gunvolt, because i'm still expecting this last reveal to be small scale, and not a big blowout.

Yeah, some people will get dissapointed if it is Sora or Crash or Master Chief, but for me those characters don't make sense to be revealed now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm predicting Shadow the Hedgehog, 100%. Willing to crash and burn, but there is no turning back for me, been confident in him for long time now

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Y’all

It’s been an absolute ride.

I literally joined Smashboards for the sake of posting here. The Smash Bros community was the very first online community I’ve ever been a part of, and on my life I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. 3 years, literally flew by just like that…

RTC legitimately shaped the person I am today. I would have been a completely different person, likely gone down a completely different path, without the relationships and camaraderie I formed here. 3 years ago I was an idiot kid, looking to get in on the action by rating some of my favorite characters and their chances to get into my favorite game.
I really haven’t been here much nowadays. I’ve been at college for OVER A YEAR, it’s crazy to think that I’m already a sophomore… blink one more time and I’ll be halfway done, absolutely surreal…

Smashboards, specifically RTC, has shaped my friend groups, the people I talk to, and the people I confide in. It might not have been the same from the start, but through networking and meeting new people with common interests, from Smashboards locals to friends of Smashboards locals to other similar communities who share common bonds, this place unironically changed my life. I am especially grateful to TCT~Phantom for having me on the RTC team, even though I really wasn’t and wanted to help out my favorite thread in whatever way possible back in the day. Being a part of such a legendary thread truly improved my quality of life and honestly I can’t repay y’all enough. It’s like 1 AM and I don’t want to spend too much time writing soppy stuff, because we have characters to rate!

Oh wait never mind LOL it’s final predictions

I’m not even gonna lie. For the last year or so, finally overtaking Bandana Dee and Phoenix Wright, Rillaboom has been my number 1 most wanted fighter. I legitimately love their design so much, I would love to see another heavyweight which is already pretty underrepresented at the moment, and the placement they stand for as a fully evolved grass starter is undeniable for me. I am going to be overjoyed with whoever ends up coming, and I can only wish y’all the best that y’all get the characters you want. But I can promise you that I will be so freaking giddy with excitement if Rillaboom joins the roster as the final DLC character. I do think that out of all of the 3rd party or wild reps that they can pick, which I do expect this final reveal to be WILD, the location that is probably most likely to be pulled from would be the Pokemon franchise, and out of those, I personally believe Rillaboom is the top choice, and the right choice at that. It might not be as hype for everyone, but I’m a Rillaboom stan since Day 1 so it would make me extremely happy.

I cannot express this enough how significant this message is for me. Smash Ultimate, the Smashboards community, Decisive Games, RTC, have all changed me for the better (and sometimes for the worse, but I’m only here to be positive god dang it), and I am so excited to close out this epic journey with you all! Good luck, and I hope y’all’s favorites get added tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Final predictions? I'll keep it brief.

My Final Four are:
Phoenix Wright: Absolute most wanted. Ace Attorney's always been a franchise with very close ties to Nintendo since the GBA(In Japan)/DS (Internationally), and Phoenix has already been in a fighting game before in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3. He's memorable and quite a lot of people, even if not Ace Attorney fans would recognise the iconic "OBJECTION!" If the final fighter of Smash is Phoenix... as Korone once said:
"Ah, I'm die, thank you forever."

Doomguy: Second-place. Doom is an iconic franchise and Doomguy himself can bring a very versatile artillery. Shotgun, chainsaw, plasma rifle, you name it. Doom has cemented itself as a pioneer of the FPS genre, which while not super popular in Japan, did influence a huge part of gaming to this very day. Not to mention I would love to see the fandoms of Animal Crossing and Doom reunite as they did last year... GOOD GOD WAS THAT REALLY MORE THAN ONE YEAR AGO? Distressed Rowlet

Kazuma Kiryu: Having fallen in love with Yakuza since Yakuza 0, I would just adore Kiryu in Smash Bros. Though I'm not all that certain given we got a brawler like Kazuya, Kiryu I feel would certainly add his own style if he came with aspects such as the Heat Gauge or Styles from 0/Yakuza Kiwami.

Reimu Hakurei: My personal final curveball. Touhou is relatively obscure in the West, but that's not to say Reimu hasn't seen a lot of growth in popularity within the Smash sphere. She's also one of the biggest doujin/indie characters from Japan, and also safe to say Touhou has had a fair bit of influence on other indie games like Undertale/Deltarune. She's certainly obscure, and only had a few appearances on Nintendo like a Japan only 3DS Taiko no Tatsujin game with a crossover with Kirby and Ace Attorney as well, and only recently fan-games have been localised and ported like Luna Nights and officially Antinomy of Common Flowers this year, iirc. If Reimu happens... Well I'll be...

And with that, I say farewell to the boards until tomorrow!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Final predictions, while I want to say that I have no idea, I do think that a Sega character is pretty likely to happen, though not a second Sonic character, rather something like Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, or the Demi-Fiend/another SMT character who isn't Nahobino. And I still feel that Reimu is possible, so there's that.

That's all, folks.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Okay I think there's around four different groups I'm guessing this last newcomer can pull from: first party, SEGA, Capcom or new third party. My actual bet, however, is none of the above, or rather every character I am about to mention is an incorrect guess. I am probably wrong, and we're about to find out soon enough. As for why not Konami? Bomberman is toast, Contra's most recent release is most likely its last release, Metal Gear and Castlevania just scream Miis IMO and beyond that there's not a lot left. I don't think Gradius works in a Smash context, for one...
  1. Nintendo Character - Pocket Monsters Ride Again! But just in case it isn't that, looking purely at new/upcoming releases for a newcomer, while sensible I think is the wrong angle to go about it.
    1. Pokémon: Cinderace, Rillaboom, maybe a non-starter from Galar. Kind of hard for it to not be from Galar, but if it isn't, a Cyndaquil/Dewott/Decidueye new Trainer would be cool to see, or perhaps something from a previously passed over generation such as Grovyle/Sceptile, Gardevoir, Zoroark or Haxorus? Even another Sinnoh rep like Garchomp would be entirely possible.
    2. Upcoming/recent Nintendo release from 2021: Besides the above, Splatoon 3 would be a perfect reason to add the Octolings, either as a quasi-clone or with an entirely unique moveset (really adapable, those characters are, they could run the gut from full Echo Fighter to absolutely distinct). The Chozo General or Kraid could be included for Metroid Dread; hey, the hype cycle started with Metroid (well it started with Splatoon but still), why not end it with such? WarioWare COULD be a title they were seeking to promote but I feel like with how little outside of spirits its gotten the team just doesn't have the drive for it anymore. The BotW sequel is hard to predict for when we have no known characters, and Forgotten Land is not only too far off but we don't even KNOW what characters will be in it besides Kirby.
    3. Longtime Nintendo request: Waluigi, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee type characters. If anybody has the power to pull through, it's that purple menace. But I wouldn't count out others such as Dixie Kong or even a Rhythm Heaven character.
  2. SEGA Character
    1. A Second Sonic character is absolutely not the final reveal, because they would have been revealed by now. Considering that Persona had its best next candidate Mii'd too, Bayonetta is the only series I think is in contention to get another rep.
    2. You'll get no points for guessing who I'm thinking of. Her aside, Kiryu is pretty much just as reasonable as a pick for all the same basic reasons. After that we're probably headed for Atlus again for either new kid on the block Nahobino, old-school Demi-Fiend, or happy medium Flynn. If it's a SEGA character and not those 5, consider me flabbergasted. Pretty much all the rest have major holes in their lifespan or simply don't work in a Smash context without compromises to their identity. Well, except Sakura Shinguji.
  3. Capcom Character
    1. Capcom is in a similar position to SEGA. It's tough to imagine a new rep for either Mega Man or Street Fighter but for different reasons. The former has pretty much the lead candidate for the next pick, Zero, dead while the latter is such a big deal that they'd have shown up ahead of Kazuya at the very least. I'd be surprised if either series returned.
    2. Now new series on the other hand is in a much better spot. Probably not Resident Evil or Monster Hunter or Ghosts n' Goblins, but otherwise, sky's the limit. Phoenix Wright (is somebody I consider on the edge of being too big to not be before Kazuya, but perhaps internet popularity warps my perception of the character), Morrigan, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and a bunch more characters that sound weird but are perfectly reasonable.
  4. New Third Party - Well this is pretty much a free space.
    1. I don't think it's going to be anybody who would be at least as big of a deal as Steve or Sephiroth, otherwise they'd probably have been revealed sooner than this. So characters who I think are toast are Crash Bandicoot and Jonesy, among others that aren't in this category like Sora and Master Chief.
    2. Indie character: Basically, Frisk or Reimu. But I would not count out a Shovel Knight promotion entirely. And it could even be an indie long past due but never forgotten like Quote or one I haven't heard of. Just don't count on somebody from Friday Night Funkin' or Deltarune as those are still works in progress without a formal release, we've been playing glorified demoes. Those and Among Us are also extremely new.
    3. Valve character: It's hard to tell how much sway Valve has, but the Japanese audience being warned they may not know this character is why I'm a bit more hesitant to count them out than usual. Gordon Freeman or somebody from TF2 are easily head and shoulders above everybody else and between them it's tough to say.
    4. League of Legends character: Money talks and the game refuses to falter under any circumstance. Despite the atrocious reputation of its playerbase as bigger losers than Smash players (which I don't know if that's warranted or not), it is absolutely something that would fit the bill.
    5. Suprise Gacha rep: Ever think GingerBrave would get into Smash? Neither did I, but hey weirder stuff has happened.
  5. None of the above
    1. This is my final answer. It is not that I think none of these characters have a chance, but rather, I recognize that all of them are from my limited perspective. I could list 1000 gaming characters and still be nowhere near close to accurate as for all we know it could be somebody who breaks a pre-established notion even I've taken for granted. Well, except for two things. This character is going to be somebody we wrote off for reasons that made sense at the time but in hindsight will make us look stupid for ever thinking that was a problem, and they will have nothing in common with any of the five we currently have so far.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’ll talk more about my thoughts on RTC like UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin did later, but first, one last dance.

Gun to my head, smaller third party. Let’s just say Nahobino. But to be blunt, I have no clue. It could be anything.

One thing I want to stress is to lower your expectations a good bit. Odds are this won’t be your most wanted or even close to it. This character could easily get reception worse than Byleth. I just want people to go in with rock bottom expectations so they are pleasantly surprised at best or prepared at worst.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Sora
Chance: .01%
As far as I know, he's owned or at least partially owned by Disney. And after the disaster known as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, I don't see anything Disney related appearing in a fighting game anytime soon,
The .01% is only there because Nothing Is Impossible.
Want: N/A
Haven't played any KH games.

Dark Matter prediction: 5%
Noms: Mike Jones x5
You're a stupid idiot and I hate you.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie; I'm disappointed. But, at least Sora didn't bring any Non Video Game characters or references which is the main reason I was against Sora. I still think there would have been other better characters; but that is just my opinion.

Edit: Now that Smash is over; can we please get Playstation Allstars 2?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
all is forgiven sakurai. and by all i mean bayo

100% satisfied
so this was my thought process. hmm a small flame kind of ambiguous. flies over the trophies, oh dont tell its actually master hand. back to the flame of wait it is cinderace hes gonna kick it the flame. why is it always mario getting hit? oh a flaming sword? who could that be? hidden mickey, no! he appears, is this for real? is he trolling us? is some else gonna knock him away? splash art: YES!

oh man i am so hyped, i thought it was gonna be someone low key and im glad to be wrong. id also like to note that sakurai has now admitted he lied about bayo winning the ballot so i feel a touch vindicated seeing as believe that to have been nonsense for years. sure music and spirits are a little small but its all so good i dont care. simple moveset but awesome none the less. simple stage but im gonna use it all the time. sorry B&K, min min and seph but ive a new favourite dlc character. 19th cant come soon enough.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Quick take/first impressions:

Sad that nobody in Volume 2 spoke to me the way K. Rool or Banjo did although Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya and Sora were ALL bangers. It's incredible how much love and attention each third party got, even if they weren't exactly who I was asking for. Glad for one close friend of mine though, he thought Sora was a never-ever.

As for the moveset, it sure is a Sora moveset. I am a bit disappointed they didn't just go "**** it" and make it clear that this is a Disney game now (kind of) and throw in Donald and Goofy. The stage looks cool, and while no arrangements at all is extremely disappointing, it's still nice to see what is here.

I'll probably have more refined thoughts once the dust settles. Until then, for now Sora's a 8.5/10 on my hype scale. -10 for not being Arle, +8.5 for making a friend happy.

As an aside, three theories got killed ALL AT ONCE in one reveal!

• Harada's tweet for those who didn't consider it a joke or a troll but an actual serious statement? Null and void. Sora was a part of that.
  • Color theory got killed again. Sora's white, not purple like Hero.
  • Dwindling hype theory got punched in the face, and this is the one that shocked me. I thought for sure the next character would be a smaller deal than Kazuya, and the last fighter is somebody only surpassed by Steve? Incredible.

So for being such a big trailblazer, Sora earns my respect. Credit where credit is due.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Never thought this day would come
A line quite relevant since Sora has joined the battle. I’m quite surprised when he showed up. The soundtracks are great, the nods are great, the Miis are great, Sora is great, a lot of stuff is great.
Overall, I’m surprised he became the final fighter.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sora Reactions

Satisfaction Rating: 80% -
While I didn't get any of my big characters for most of the DLC (closest was the Dragonborn Mii Costume), outside of a favorite of mine this was exactly the kind of character I was hoping for to end the pass. A big crowd pleaser that would end off Smash on a high note! Sora's moveset's very inspired and I really like the way he plays, and the stage looks absolutely incredible! I love how they basically recreated Hollow Bastion with level objects in the background! My only real qualm with Sora was the lack of Disney content. I understand that Disney would charge an arm and a leg for even just a Donald and Goofy final smash appearance, but the Disney crossover element is such a huge part of Kingdom Hearts that seeing it left out really feels like something is missing. But back on a positive note, I LOVED that ending shot of Mario shaking hands with Sora! A perfect way to tie everything together for a good sendoff, and I'm glad Mario got a good moment after all of the abuse he received in the trailers. Cheers to you, Sora!

It also feels vindicating revealing that Sora was the true winner of the ballot!

As for Miis, I'm honestly surprised we got the enemy Octoling as a hat rather than the Octo Expansion one. I know a lot of Doom fans were feeling left out after the rest of Bethesda's big three got costumes, so I'm glad he got to join in on the fun!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My reactions, as they happened:

• Mii Costumes first? Cool, let's see some peeps die at the final stretch
  • Octoling? Damn, there goes my chance to have nominated a character that gets in. Weird that it's enemy Octoling tho
  • Judd? Okay, no, it's gonna be Octoling, it's a Splatoon themed wave, it's Octoling
  • Doomguy Mii! Hate that they call him Doom Slayer, that's such a dumb edgy name. But cool to see him in Smash, such a legend. Great that Sakurai took a moment to explain him, might just be because Japan doesn't know him but still, like the respect
  • Wait, all the Miis are from shooter games... Chief?
  • Trailer begins, it's a bookend, love it, love to see everybody standing around
  • Smash logo dies out, damn
  • Trophies. What do they mean? Smash original?
  • Mario sees the flame on the ground, at this point I'm like "oh it's Dark Souls Man"
  • Picks it up, forms some kind of fire blade or whip, I try to remember what it's from
  • The blade takes shape but it's too fast for me to recognize
  • Mickey keychain
  • GoodGrief, out loud: WHAT
  • Stand up, pace around
  • Hit my shoulder hard against the door, don't even feel it
  • It's Sora flying around like the goofy ************ he is
  • At this point I started crying
The rest is kind of a blur but holy ****

The love and care and dedication put into making Sora as faithful and fledged out is stunning. 5 different models, one of which is freaking Timeless River (the only one I'm using). The way he moves and fights looks exactly like KH. The finisher animation! They even got freaking Haley Joel Osment! The stage looks beautiful. His renders are all the original poses. His banner artwork is so in character! And his tagline is just that he's finally here, like there's no pun necessary, they know that all we want to do is bask in the feeling that it's Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Just... wow. Unbelievable. Best character ever, hands down. You've outdone yourself Sakurai.

All I need now is for this to be canon in Kingdom Hearts, now we know that Sora is literally the anti-Tabuu and Nomura's gonna go crazy with the idea.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh btw I'll do the confirmation post where I go over what was confirmed today (obviously not what was disconfirmed because that would be everything else) later in the day, gotta focus on the midterm I have in less than 3 hours now (won't be easy!). It wasn't just Sora that was confirmed!

After that, I'll try to get the final calcs done, so that they'll be up tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
My reaction to Sora. Ok, let's go.

I am so freaking glad that Sora is not only in, but also the final Smash fighter. One of my most wanted (top 3), and the second most wanted I got in this pass after Sephiroth. I am glad that I was wrong about him being unlikely. That trailer was beautifull, even if it was nothing like I imagined it to be. And the extanded version is also great, with the fight with Sephiroth being referenced at the end, and we even got that beautifull shot of Sora and Mario shaking hands. Just amazing.

And there's so much love put in him too. The moveset is great (in spite of how some find it bland, but I don't), and he looks very fun to play. The stage is amazing, even if Hollow Bastion wasn't my first choice (Twillight Town would have been my favorite), it was still number 2, and the transition to Dive to the Heart is great. Talking about it, I love the cameos we got in Dive to the Heart.

The music selection was both suprisingly good and dissapointing. We got 9 tracks, which is more than what I had expected, but also, eh. They're all great, but also there's no Rage Awakened or Vector to the Heavens. But it's still good. Also screw you Disney for making the Jazz version of Dearly Beloved needing to have MoM data on the Switch.

Sora winning fights making the same effects as when you defeat a boss in KH was just splendid, perfet, divine, exquisite, many more positive adjectives because I love it so much.

The spirits. We did not see the fights, but Roxas as the legend tier, just like he deserves, though it's weird Xehanort is nowhere.

Also, KINGDOM HEARTS ON SWITCH, OH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

100% satsifaction. One of my most wanted character of all time that looks great, fun, has a lot of love put into him, and KH on Switch more than make up for the music selection lacking many great tracks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Non Sora stuff:
  • Doomguy Mii outfit was a bit of a surprise
  • Octoling getting some mii outfit stuff is neat.
  • I guess I thought it might be a Dark Souls character for a second there when Mario approached the fire
  • Glad to see alt Amiibo are still happening
  • Kingdom Hearts on Switch is neat.

Sora Reactions: 50%? shrug

Well...the CG reveal was nice and I imagine that final shot with him shaking Mario's hand got a lot of KH fans, but I can't help but be disappointed and feel a little hollow.

I knew it was a long shot if Sora did get in, but the main appeal to me was always hanging out with Donald and Goofy and visiting all the cool Disney worlds and...I mean obviously, they couldn't do that so what we're left with is a Sora that can only represent only a part of his own series due to that legal minefield.

Sure, Sora is now exploring all the cool Nintendo Worlds but...Sora and the rest of the OC Kingdom Hearts cast have always been the least interesting part of the games to me. Unless I've missed it there's no Heartless creatures either which were the only other original thing I liked in the titles, so that's a bit disappointing too on a personal note.

I hate to say it too but as memetic as it is, he is another sword fighter in a DLC period drowning in swordsmen at the end of the day. With a counter to boot.

I don't think Sora's a bad pick in a bubble(hell, he's actually my favourite from the second fighters pass and probably my...third favourite overall from all the DLC), but after Sephiroth, Hero, Pyra/Mythra and Byleth he doesn't come off as unique as I was hoping for and he really feels like he's missing a lot of what makes Kingdom Hearts enjoyable to me. Which is absolutely a personal problem, I'm aware, and not one that everyone will share.

On the positives: Sora does however get huge points for the Timeless River Sora costume, which is single handedly the best part about his inclusion to me. Well that and us getting the KH games on Switch. (although "2.8", ffs Kingdom Hearts why you got to be weird like this?)

Well, those two elements and that Ultimate's drawn out DLC period is finally over. We're free!

Please Sakurai, or whoever takes over from him in the future, three years is too long for any DLC period, please don't drag it out like this again.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Donald Duck’s Anime Twink: The Final Destination

Non-Sora Comments:
-Octoling Wig is very much a hype addition to me. Mii Gunner is one of my most-played characters and I already had a Cap’n Cuttlefish Mii Fighter taking stocks left and right. Getting to add a Marie Gunner, and Octoling Gunner and a Judd Gunner to that is going to be very nice. Octoling’s goggles also obscure the eyes, so from a distance it’s gonna look like the real deal. Sad it wasn’t a full costume though, but I’m content nonetheless.

Plus, as the guy that has listened to Splatoon music for the past 72 hours to force the hand of the universe, I did sort of get my manifestation powers to work again, after listening to Lost in Thoughts All Alone led to Corrin, listening to Mario Spin-off music led to Daisy and Edge of Dawn led to Byleth. Octoling was a nice cap-off to that jinxing saga.

-DOOM lad is very realistic and is gonna work well for the more gritty Mii Fighters. I have no attachment to the character but I’m gonna need that costume regardless.

-Finishing up the Miis, my biggest wish right now is for the update to buff Mii Swordfighter. As of right now, too many great Mii ideas (including those involving personal favorite Viridi) are gone to waste because Swordfighter plays like you’re drinking straight from a bleached toilet (and not in the good way)

The Final Battle
-Okay, so I was already pretty on-edge due to the Splatoon costumes. Once I saw they were going to do the flaming Smash Ball thing, my hopeful mood quickly swapped to plain curiosity. At this point, it wasn’t going to be Off the Hook (not with that epic a trailer), so I just kept watching.

-I don’t know what Dark Souls is and Cinderace didn’t even cross my mind. I was blank on who the final character was. Maybe Master Hand?

-The Mickey Keyblade. Audible gasp. They didn’t…..Sora flew around and I was just watching in awe.

The Duck That Never Comes
-Okay, so…Sora. Cool, hype, surprising. But where in the world is Donald Duck. I kinda spent the presentation waiting for him. An alt referencing him? (I’ll take the Wisdom Garb) Spirit Board? Stage Cameo? Final Smash? No, not there. Ah well. Meanwhile Sora looked all fine and dandy.

-I’ll take my win in the Wisdom alternate costume making Sora’s garb blue and the replaced Donald and Goofy’s icons in Into the Unknown: The Stage Adaptation

The Other Side
-Sakurai acknowledging that they picked more idiosyncratic playstyles for the other DLC but settled on Simple and Clean for Sora was very nice. I could definitely pick him up. Sometimes it was a bit too bland. Counter was memetically fun to see return.

-Music and Spirit Board…held up, despite the obvious lack of full-steam support from Disney or that lady that sings Simple and Clean. Music especially is a bit dry. Spirit Board holds up, but would an Organisation XIII Spirit have hurt?

-No Simple and Clean is definitely no good very sad though, and it will be missed. Might pick up Donald’s Drum Dash (or whatever the rhythm game is called) for the Dearly Beloved King of Swing

-October 19th is way too far away I need all of this now

Satisfaction score: 90%

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just as a heads up, we will be doing soras satisfaction ratings when he comes out. I’ll post my thoughts when I am more calm but let’s just say I’m hype.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I have no connection to Sora so I'm not really excited as most people are... but wow... how can anyone watch that trailer and not be glad that he got in? The entire trailer felt like a love letter both to Kingdom Hearts fans and to Ultimate as a whole.

I didn't get to watch too much of the gameplay footage but from what I've seen he seems fun to play as. His costumes are also great and probably the best of all the DLC characters. Kingdom Hearts games on Switch was probably my favorite part of the Sora content. I feel like this is long overdue.

Disappointed with the Mii Costumes though. Doomguy is absolutely awesome but the other two could've been better since they were just hats. We only got 3 which hurts even more.

I'm really glad Ultimate ended with a banger. Granted I wish I got a real personal hype pick for FP2, but this was probably the most fitting ending for such an amazing game.

And I still can't get over that we rated Sora just a few days ago as our final rating ever. I don't think we've ever had an unintentional rating --> reveal like that before.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I have no connection to Sora so I'm not really excited as most people are... but wow... how can anyone watch that trailer and not be glad that he got in? The entire trailer felt like a love letter both to Kingdom Hearts fans and to Ultimate as a whole.

I didn't get to watch too much of the gameplay footage but from what I've seen he seems fun to play as. His costumes are also great and probably the best of all the DLC characters. Kingdom Hearts games on Switch was probably my favorite part of the Sora content. I feel like this is long overdue.

Disappointed with the Mii Costumes though. Doomguy is absolutely awesome but the other two could've been better since they were just hats. We only got 3 which hurts even more.

I'm really glad Ultimate ended with a banger. Granted I wish I got a real personal hype pick for FP2, but this was probably the most fitting ending for such an amazing game.

And I still can't get over that we rated Sora just a few days ago as our final rating ever. I don't think we've ever had an unintentional rating --> reveal like that before.
I do remember the Takamaru rating to deconfirmation pipeline in Smash 4

Top Bottom