• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I must say, the mini was hilarious to me. Also Melody of Memories and Puyo Puyo Tetris are both cool. I still prefer the last one we got due to how much I like SMT, but it was still a fine direct to me.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstain on Jibanyan

Agumon

Chance: 35%

There are two major roadblocks. One is intercompany competition with Lloyd being the primary candidate. Other is that Digimon is associated more with anime. Maybe, Digimon as game is less of deal than Tales series, but as whole it is much bigger deal. Sakurai is very informed in gaming history, so he should know that Digimon started as game. He start his career with working on virtual pet, so acknowledging this genre shouldn't be underestimated. Virtual pet was pretty big phenomenon back in day like fighting game arcade cabinet. So this is another merit for Agumon. Digimon is more relevent and prominent than Fatal Fury/KOF and Tales series. So, I can see Nintendo going for Digimon for attracting bigger untapped fanbase. As for anime being bigger deal... Lucario made it in despite starring in anime movie first. Cloud brought his movie costume, so as long as series originates from the game, getting content from non-gaming source shouldn't be much of big deal. Still, Japanese copyright is legal nightmare since they are generally spread out to different owners, so it may be difficult to bring iconic songs like Butterfly and Brave Heart.

Want: 100%

It would like second coming of Mario vs Sonic. Pokemon vs Digimon was pretty big deal back in day. Seeing official match up like this would be dream come true. I also grew up with Digimon (although more to do with anime), so that's why I support him. I still remember my first virtual pet. I have fond memory of it. Agumon could bring interesting dynamic with digivolution. I would also love to see Sakurai covering and explaining Digimon history as gaming like he did with KOF/Fatal Fury. It would be fun to see him educating general public about origin of Digimon.

Nom: Neptune from Neptunia x 5
I just want to see how people would rate her. I already wrote about her on reddit. If she makes it here, I would copy paste with minor fix.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not!Pokémon

Chance: 2%
Jibanyan, and Yokai Watch as a whole, are past their prime. Has beens, really. It was a fad in Japan. Huge for a while, then evaporated into nothing. I think Jibanyan even got a redesign once or something? So does he even have a consistent look anymore? And it never even took off in the west, where it was just written off as Just Another PokéClone.

Want: 0%
Bleh. Not only would getting Jibanyan mean we wouldn't get the vastly superior Professor Layton, but I never liked Yokai Watch. The gameplay in the free demo was dreadful, the monster designs were mostly awful, and the whole thing just gave off a super cheap vibe, like a carnival knockoff.

The Cooler Not!Pokémon

Chance: 5%
Agumon, and Digimon, is fairly big, all things considered. Especially now that Tekken is out of the running. Though there are still other larger Bandai Namco properties like Tales of or Dark Souls that may outprioritize it.

Want: 50%
I think it'd be cool! I grew up watching Digimon Adventures 01 and 02, and while Agumon was never my favorite (I preferred Gomamon, Patamon, and Tentamon), seeing him Pepper Breath Pikachu in Smash would be a great dream match.

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Abstaining on Jibanyan

I was gonna write a full-up rant but I gave up out of laziness and because it's not my thing to do this so let me simplificate what I wanted to say, not that I'm a good writer anyways.

Agumon (Chance: 40%)

Agumon, and Digimon as a whole serve as one of the more underrated and slept-on franchises not only through Smash Speculation but also the fanbase as a whole, often discrediting it as that one Pokemon rip-off franchise that first started as an anime when both statements are blatantly and completely untrue (though tbh I can't really blame them for thinking that). Anyways, let's get onto the Pros and Cons:

Pros:

It originated first as a videogame

As most people said, Digimon first started in 1997 as a LCD virtual-pet brother to Bandai's succesful Tamagotchi sister, also marking Agumon's debut as one of the first Digimon ever created, successing through two games, the first being a Japanese-only game released for the Sega Saturn in 1998 which obviously didn't sell well but a couple months forward in 1999 we'd get Digimon World for the PlayStation and one of the more known games of the franchise, which was a mere months of being released before the anime (In fact the Anime was adapted around said game as well if you can spot out the similarities).

Has gotten their fair share of games on Nintendo consoles, with a few more titles currently under development

While starting on a Sega and then a Sony console, Digimon still had their fair share of Nintendo games first appearing in the Nintendo Gamecube and then (some of which were also exclusive), consistently showing up on the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS and finally, of course the Nintendo Switch not only under Digimon Cyber Sleuth which would be one of the franchise's best selling games, but that doesn't stop there as Digimon Survive is slated to be released late this year (was supposed to be released in 2018 but ended up getting delayed into oblivion, oh well) and currently a more unknown title that's been confirmed to being worked on but so far we know nothing about it, nor if it's going to be released on the Switch.

The franchise is witnessing a resurfacing overall

Many people would say that Digimon isn't as big as it used to be and while it may be true that it's still not often talked about outside from dedicated and niche fanbases, the series is currently receiving a plethora of new merchandise, a new wave of Virtual Pets and Card games whom some of the artists have previously worked on Pokemon Cards before as well, a rebooted timeline of the first Digimon Adventure, a movie that will conclude the Adventure series, a slew of mobile games and of course the aforementioned games under development.

According to Wikipedia, Digimon is one of the world's best grossing franchises

Okay, nowhere near as close as Pokemon but still, people still don't realize how big the Digimon franchise is actually but as shown in the Wikipedia page, Digimon currently has an estimation of 6.36 billions made , not only completely knocking out other franchises such as his sister Tamagotchi at 6.2 billion, but also more popular and known ones like Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, Yokai Watch and even The Legend of Zelda, but also Digimon is currently sitting as Bamco's second best selling franchise, only behind Pac-Man and considering how incredibly popular the series is in Japan, it's currently unlikely Sakurai hasn't heard of the series at the very least as well. (For more information, Sakurai also developed some (not Digimon) Virtual Pets on his own).

Nintendo and Bandai Namco have shown to have a good relationship

I don't think this one needs a further elaboration but some key details are them collaborating on the new Pokemon Snap, an Eevee Tamagotchi, and of course, Smash Bros.

"But GameFreak/The Pokemon Company wouldn't allow one of their rivals to get in!"

While from a marketing standpoint, it does make sense that they wouldn't allow a "rival" franchise to get in (remember how both series are completely different, only being similar in the game and revolving around training monsters), Pokemon is the most succesful franchise out there so they know it's nigh impossible for them to be surpassed by someone else (The Yokai Watch craze didn't last long after all), they don't even have a say in who or who doesn't get in unless it concerns Pokemon. Besides as aforementioned, they have literally been working with their rival franchise on numerous ocassions to the point of developing Pokemon Snap and the aforementioned Eevee Tamagotchi.

As of late, Digimon has been crossing over with more famous and iconic series

That also goes without saying but they they have collaborated with Vocaloid twice as a celebration of the franchise's 20th anniversary and a Nendoroid line consisting on Vocaloid characters wearing Digimon costumes is slated to release somewhere soon as well.
Digimon has collaborated with Sanrio as well so they definitely are nothing short of open for future crossovers.

Could inforce an unique gimmick in Smash

Finally getting to the Smash part, what Digimon, or Agumon as well has to offer overall is the loads of moveset potential if they bring the vital digivolution mechanic in the series. Agumon could start out as a basic and alright fighter that if he does well he could digivolve into Greymon who could function as a stronger semi-clone and finally into WarGreymon as a completely different character but if he gets KOed he reverts back to either Agumon or even Koromon seems very unique and something like Sakurai would do. Add that to the fact that Digimon has had their own fighting games which seems like the perfect opportunity to have Sakurai take inspiration for its moveset.

Now it's time to hop into the cons:

Major competition between other Bamco franchises; possibility of them not wanting to add anyone else

I think that alone speaks for itself but even after Heihachi being deconfirmed Digimon currently stands through a sour competition against Tales, Soul Calibur and Dark Souls who are far more popular and known in the gaming community. Even if Lloyd were to get deconfirmed through a Mii Costume, it still has to compete against Yuri Lowell and Velvet Crowe so really it's up to Sakurai and Bamco here as to who they want to add, if they even want to add anyone else at all. The fact Sakurai has mentioned how they only refer Pac-Man as Bamco's character in a prior direct doesn't help either. This one is also the main reason I'm taking off points for his inclusion.

Digimon is still more known as an anime rather than a gaming franchise

Also goes without saying but even if I'm one of those rare people who grew up with the games before the anime, namely Digimon Dawn and Dusk, let's be real, it is true, Digimon influenced and got more people into the series through the anime and there's very few games I can name that made some big but not huge boomings such as Digimon World for the PlayStation, Rumble Arena for the Gamecube, the DS games, Next Order for the PlayStation 4 and of course Cyber Sleuth for the PS4, Switch and Steam, still doesn't help that the anime is far more known and popular than the games. To compare, while the Pokemon anime is also popular, it helped advertise the games and subsequently selling very well.

Agumon could take a long, expensive and heavy development time

I know I have listed his offering to Smash as a pro but it is also hindered by the fact that something like this would take a long time to develop, especially regarding the Digivolution mechanic and with the limited budget it seems pretty unlikely and considering how vital it is to the series, taking the mechanic away is like making Sonic a slow fighter or Pikachu not having electric attacks. The only workaround I can see to it is them cutting either Greymon or WarGreymon to dedicate more development time to Agumon.

In conclusion, Agumon and Digimon as a whole back in the Smash 4 days would have been tossed as a completely irrelevant franchise but after witnessing the resurgence, I can safely say that they are one of the very few characters that have more than earned their inclusion in Smash and while the Pros outweigh the Cons, the cons are still massive and strong that at this point it feels like a matter of "If" than one of "When", much like a coin toss. Which is why I'm giving it a fair 40%, either it gets in or doesn't even if there are other things hindering its inclussion.

If it wasn't obvious to see how passionate I am to the series, then nothing will. While there are other more interesting Digimon I want instead of Agumon, the truth is that I'm thirsting for any Digimon representation in the game, be it a Spirit Event, a Mii costume or even Sukamon as a playable character, I'd still be overjoyed.

Thanks for coming to my "little rant" as well even though there probably are more things I wanted to add as well!

EDIT: Literally a second after posting this I just remembered that Digimon is still pretty popular and huge in the west, especially in hispanic countries such as Spain, Mexico and Latinamerica in general, giving a similar situation to Terry as well!

EDIT EDIT: I keep having more things to say but i swear this is the last edit lol

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Jibanyan
Chance: 20%. Yo-Kai Watch was huge a short while ago, to the point that some started calling it the one to topple Pokemon. Cut to now, and that phase is over. Yo-Kai Watch isn't what it used to, and unless Nintendo wants to bring it back to it's glory days, I don't see it happening. How the mighty have fallen, eh?
Want: 50%. He gets some points for me having some nostalgia for him, but that's about it. I don't really care too much one way of the other.
Agumon
Chance: 35%. Digimon is pretty big, if the whole Digimon vs Pokemon thing didn't tip you off. It's also got some games that have come out recently. Together with Tales and Dark Souls, I'd go as far as to say Digimon is a part of Bamco's three biggest candidates. That being said, Lloyd provides a pretty big obstacle to surpass, and that might give Agumon some trouble.
Want: 50%. Second verse, same as the first. I was pretty big on Digimon a while ago, but no longer. Still, I'd be pretty cool with Agumon (Even if I thilk Guilmon is much cooler).
EDIT: Frick I forgot everything else.
Predictions
Tails: 17.92%
Eggman: 29.65%
Nomination: Klonoa x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Cat Pikachu

Chance: 1%
Yo-Kai Watch's time came and went. It blew up, for sure, but then it seriously plummeted and the Pass was decided in the days after the plummet. No way he gets in over Layton.

I don't think Yo-Kai Watch made a notable enough mark in gaming history to warrant a Smash inclusion. And when you're asking me to choose between it and Layton? That's a no-brainer.

Dinosaur Pikachu

Chance: 1%
Agumon is an iconic character and Digimon is a big franchise. Thing is, while it unquestionably started as a videogame, it's made all of its mark as an anime. Since Smash is a videogame crossover, I think it's kind of a necessary condition for a franchise to have had some kind of impact in the medium, rather than just be on it. That's why I think characters like Agumon or Saber probably won't get in, and also why characters like Geralt do stand a chance. Digimon never really made a critically acclaimed game, or revolutionized a genre, or introduced a new kind of mechanic, in fact, the games play more like licensed games than as their own thing. Add to that Bandai Namco's apparent lack of interest in adding their stuff to Smash, and Lloyd Irving still being a thing, and yeah, I don't see it.

Same with Jibanyan really. I have certain standards for the franchises I think deserve to be in Smash, and Digimon fails it. Plus, Lloyd is a thing.

Noms: ****ing Tidus x5
Tails prediction: 6.81%
Eggman prediction: 7.40%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x280
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x280
Tidus x250
Nate Adams x225
[Rerate] Ezio x220
Shuichi Saihara x201
Moogle x175

200 - 151

[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x155

150 - 101

Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x150
Alex Mason x145
[Rerate] Frisk x140
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x140
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x135
Echo: Xion (Sora) x128
Sakura Shinguji x127
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
The Stretchers x120
Klonoa x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Billy Hatcher x110
Concept: Deltarune content x106
Proto Man x105

100 - 51

Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Amiya (Arknights) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x75
Hades (Kid Icarus) x75
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x67
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x65
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x64
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x55
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x55

50 - 25

Giygas x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Gooigi x50
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
Concept: Fortnite character x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Stage: Bowser's Castle x45
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x39
The Bard (Wandersong) x35
Ghirahim x35
Boss: Rayquaza x34
Concept: Returning stages x31
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
Yoshimitsu x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Echo (Olimar) x26
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x25
Vi (Bug Fables) x25
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x25

Under 25

Black Shadow x20
Lora and Jin x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Chell x18
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Demi-fiend x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Tetra x10
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Young Wizard (Wizard101) x5
Concept: Tetris 99 stage x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Nate Adams defeats Ezio and holds on to fourth place. Shuichi Saihara gets past 200 noms.

Prince of All Cosmos rolls over 150 noms.

Proto Man blasts past 100 noms.

Neptune, Vi, and Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief all reach 25 noms.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Looks like the last time we rated both these 2 was a little over a year ago. Not sure anything is different for Jibanyan so here's that rating again

Jibanyan
Chance 20 - I'm going to say there actually is a chance here, but I don't think it's that big of a chance. Much like Digimon it feels like YoKai Watch has faded quite a bit in the last few years. I feel like Professor Layton would be the better pick from Level 5 personally.

Want 0 - Not really interested. No connection to the character at all. Seems like the type of pick that just wouldn't be for
Agumon
Chance 10 - Gave him a 10 last time too. Heihachi being out of the way is a small help but Lloyd still exists so it's not much. Namco also just doesnt seem interested in adding their characters to the game. I do think Agumon is someone who might benefit from the less hype and more mechanics type deal with Digivolving(not that it wouldn't be hype for me personally, but overall Digimons popularity seems to be down) but not sure that really matters when Namco doesnt seem to care about getting their characters in.

Want 70 - I want to use Agumon to fight Pokemon. That was something I thought would have been super cool back when I was a kid even though I liked Pokemon better. First fight would be against Pikachu without a doubt

Predictions
Tails - 15%
Eggman - 18%

Noms:
A Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"The Pokémon Killer"

It's not an impossibility, but. . . I'd be very surprised if it were to happen. Pretty much everybody else here has already mentioned it, but it's true: Yo-kai Watch is well past its prime. It used to be huge in Japan, and Nintendo tried to help the series replicate this success in the rest of the world - to no avail. Now, the hype has even died down in Japan, and considering that this was likely already the case when the second Fighter Pass was decided, I severely doubt that Nintendo and Sakurai would chose a character from the series.
And in the end, Pokémon killed itself more with Sword and Shield than Yo-kai Watch ever did! :4pacman:

Okay, normally, this is the part where I'd abstain from giving a want rating because I never touched Yo-kai Watch. . . but not this time. The series just really isn't appealing to me. Based on all that I've seen from it, it aims itself towards a very young audience, even younger than Pokémon. And while I'm by no means someone who ever goes all "urgh, I want my vidya gaemz to be mature!", it still veers to far in that direction for my tastes. Plus, I'd be more interested in seeing Professor Layton as a Level 5 character.

Alolan Charmander

Chance: 15%

Not the greatest chance, but certainly a possibility. The main hurdle I'm seeing is Bandai-Namco's seeming disinterest in adding more of their own characters, as well as competition from other characters owned by them, such Lloyd Taleofwhateverhisgamewas. I still don't consider it likely by any means, though.

Also not too terribly interested in this one. Sorry, but Digimon just never came off as all that appealing to me.

Predicting Tails to get around 13.21%
Predicting Dr Eggman to get around 16.42%, as well as a roughly equal split of people calling him "Eggman" and people calling him "Robotnik"

Nominating Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Jibanyan

Chance: 49%
I don't know how much of this is my bias talking, but I'd be surprised if we didn't get anything from Level-5. Plus, while not as popular as before, Yo-kai Watch is still ongoing, with YW4 confirmed to be getting an English release (though we don't have any updates on that). Heck, a Smash inclusion would actually help address the lack of Western popularity, similar to Hero.
I really liked Yo-kai Watch when I played it. It honestly does some things better than Pokemon, which may come off as odd. Plus, the music is a HUGE highlight for this series.

Agumon
Chance: 25%
This honestly depends on a few things. As impactful as Digimon is, Bandai Namco seems pretty content with just Pac-Man in Smash. Plus, the newest game (Digimon Survive) has had a complicated development, so it's hard to say if he'd be promotional. Still, I don't think it's out of the question.
Want: 75%
I think Digimon is alright. Admittedly, I haven't played the games or watched the anime(s), but I could see it working in Smash. Plus, Pokemon vs. Digimon. Need I say more?

Nominations: Stage: Bowser's Castle x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Jibanyan

Chance: 40%
I think y’all are sleeping on this one, just a bit.

Level 5 has been a close partner to Nintendo for years, so it’s bizarre they don’t have any representation in Smash whatsoever. Yokai Watch has lost the incredible momentum it used to have, but it was undeniably huge for a while and I could honestly see Nintendo leaning into that, like they did with ARMS. People might not be Yo-Kai crazy anymore, but the series is still widely known. Beyond that, I feel Jibanyan works better as a company mascot than Layton, and would be easier to craft a moveset for.

Being the king of a rapidly crumbling franchise isn’t the best position to be in, but I dunno, I feel like there’s still a fighting chance for Jibanyan.

Want: 25%
He’s a cute lil bugger. Add +50 if he got an alt that looks like Morgana.

________

Abstaining on Agumon, I don’t know a single thing about the Digimon series. Seems cool though.

Nom: Demi-fiend x5

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Jibanyan
Level-5 has always been pretty close to Nintendo, and so was Yokai Watch. It was also pretty big for a while but that was years ago. These days it's not around nearly as much. Level-5 also hasn't been doing much as of late in general. While Nintendo could very easily pick a character from this company (in fact, I think it'd make sense if they did given it's one of their big helpers still not in) I don't think it'll be Jibanyan or a Yokai Watch character, but Professor Layton, who's made much more of a lasting impact and is more directly related to Nintendo. Having to compete with other Level-5 reps definitely puts a dent in this character's chances.
Want: Abstain
I haven't tried the games to truly say. From what I've seen, they haven't caught my eye.

Agumon
Chance: 8%
Digimon is big, for sure. Behind Pokemon, it's definitely one of the more known "monster" series. Just due to that, you'd think it'd be perfect for choosing, but there's a couple problems. For one, many know and confuse Digimon for only the anime, and a lot of its popularity stems from that, despite its origins being a form of "video game", fitting into the basic criteria for characters. I think the "thin line" it stands on in that regard could make it iffy. Another reason which I could say is much bigger, is competition within Bandai Namco itself. They have a lot of other characters they could go for, or that Nintendo themselves could be interested in due to a bigger connection, some rated in here even. But it's definitely not an impossibility. It could maybe happen, who knows.
Want: 20%
I'd find it pretty cool if it did happen. I liked Digimon a bunch, though admittedly it's more from the anime, so maybe it's the wrong kind of want. Not to mention that while I did like it, it was a while ago, and not so much nowadays. Nonetheless, it'd be cool to see Agumon. I wonder if they'd implement the evolutions into the moveset in someway. It could either get really convoluted or really fun.

Nominations: Proto Man x5

Predictions:
Tails: 15%
Eggman: 25%
That one should be fun, I like them both!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
haracters like Geralt do stand a chance.
Interestingly, I'ven always thought of Agumon as the Reverse Geralt. Geralt is known as primarily a game character while originating in other media (people forget the Witcher books even exist), while Agumon originated as a game character while being primarily known for other media (the Digimon anime far surpasses the games).

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Jibanyan
Chance: 2%

Yo-kai watch had an impressive start, but it just can't do what Pokemon and Digimon did. The franchise ballooned and deflated. It's in the same camp as Monster Rancher in my opinion. It made itself known before fading into obscurity. I just don't see it coming to Smash as a character. There are other Level 5 properties that would do better, and if they wanted a collectible-monster rep to rival Pokemon ... then Digimon would be the clear choice.

Agumon
Chance: 16%

Digimon has a few pros. It's a franchise that stayed strong for quite some time, and is enjoying a small revival. Nostalgia has been kind to this franchise. It comes from a company that works well with Nintendo. I think there are issues with the fact that the anime is more memorable than any of the games, but this is only true from my bias. I don't know what the nostalgia of Digimon is like in Japan. Perhaps the games were memorable and worthy of a character rep.

I think what hurts it is the company has better well known characters. Personally though, Agumon and Gabumon are top of my list. (Come on Echo Fighter!)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Probably, but remember Phantom has some personal stuff going on. He might not be able to get back to us at the normal time, and the days usually stretch on until pretty late in Pacific Time anyways.
I know, don't worry. I wasn't asking anyone to bother Phantom, and I didn't mean to sound impatient. I was just asking since I know others on the thread like Sari have the authority to end the day in Phantom's absence.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Abstaining on the undead cat. I don't know enough about his series compared to the other monster collecting franchises.

Charmander
Chance: 20%

Digimon I feel is underrated in chance slightly. Of all the Pokémon contenders, only Agumon and friends could even put up a real fight, which is pretty impressive when you consider Pokémon is the number one media franchise.

Digimon's a very active series still with Digimon Survive in the pipeline, several movies, Digimon Cyber Sleuth and a current anime series.

People talk about the anime being the thing Digimon is most known for, but personally I don't think that's an issue. Digimon started life as a digital game which puts it on the Game and Watch and thus absolutely within what counts as a video game.

Want: 80%
Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a title I'm currently playing and it's...an absolute ride. Parasitic enemies, cute stabs at both Pokemon and Yokai Watch, organ harvesting, the Grudge style killer ghosts and sex trafficking was absolutely not what I was expecting from a Digimon title, but it's genuinely fantastic and fascinating.

Not that I think those less than "for good boys and girls" subjects are needed to be represented with the addition of Agumon, but a character that can transform and change body shape could be a ton of fun.

Agumon himself isn't my favourite Digimon, nor is he the most exciting option but as the mascot you have to respect he's easily the best option available.

Agumon vs. Pikachu and Greymon vs. Charizard would both be great match ups for 90s kids such as myself. Not quite at the Mario vs. Sonic levels but not a bad runnerup.

Nominations:
Mii costume Alex Kidd x 5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know, don't worry. I wasn't asking anyone to bother Phantom, and I didn't mean to sound impatient. I was just asking since I know others on the thread like Sari have the authority to end the day in Phantom's absence.
I'm gonna wait until tomorrow in case we get either a shadow dropped Direct or an announcement of one. I don't want to risk starting a new day only for it to be forgotten because of a Direct. This exact scenario happened in March when I started de Blob's day and then they dropped the Mini Direct with the ARMS reveal. Even if it's just an announcement of one, it'll give us a good idea on when to end the next day.

Expect the day to end around 12pm EST on Friday.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Jibanyan

Chance - 2.5% - Youkai Watch's bubble has popped. It's still somewhat decent, but it was not the competition that threatened to kill Pokemon like some people said before. These days, Layton has remained Level 5's most iconic and famous character, and would be the most likely choice if they got a representative in smash. Some push to promote him may exists, but otherwise that's his best chance.

Want - 45% - Not really into him. I'd rather have Layton.

Agumon

Chance - 5% - Namco have been much more conservative when it comes to franchise outside of Pac-man. He's probably the most notable mascot for mon series after Pokemon, but Namco is better known for other franchises. It's been quietly chugging along by itself, though, and is mostly remembered for having a good anime with little remembered about the games. He's in the running, but I don't think it will come to him if it happens.

Want - 50% - Eh, don't care either way. Moveset might win me over, but right now I have no real opinion.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm gonna wait until tomorrow in case we get either a shadow dropped Direct or an announcement of one. I don't want to risk starting a new day only for it to be forgotten because of a Direct. This exact scenario happened in March when I started de Blob's day and then they dropped the Mini Direct with the ARMS reveal. Even if it's just an announcement of one, it'll give us a good idea on when to end the next day.

Expect the day to end around 12pm EST on Friday.
I very good point, I forgot about that. ^^; Sounds good to me!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Jibanyan

Chance: 50%
It's only this high because Level-5 currently has no character representing it, if you don't count Eight. Yo-Kai Watch was a massively popular series, and although it went through a massive decline it is still active. The only problem facing Jibanyan is competition with Professor Layton to be Level-5's rep in Smash.

Want: 5%
I have no experience with Yo-Kai Watch as a series, but he's cool. I wouldn't mind having him in Smash.

Agumon

Digimon is still a very active series that had a strong comeback around 2014-2015 and since then it has been heavily supported, and a new title is on the way. Again, one of two issues Agumon is facing is competition with other NB reps, including reps of Tales of, Soul Calibur, and even Xenosaga. The other is possibly being too difficult to develop, as he could be a transformation fighter similar to how Zelda/Shiek worked in Melee and Brawl, and I don't know if they have the budget for that.

Want: 70%
As a fan of Digimon, I would like to see the series represented in Smash. It would be cool to see how Digivilution would be implemented.

Nominate: Concept: More individual stage DLC x5

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Jibanyan

Chance 45%
The lack of anything owned by Level-5 after all this time (Be it spirit event, Mii costume or playable character) is a tad odd knowing their history with Nintendo over the years, (especially if its really Nintendo being the one choosing the DLC) so I'd give it a 50/50 wether or not Level-5 will be receiving a playable character or not in this DLC cycle. It either happens or it won't..

As for Jibanyan specifically, his main obstacle will mainly be wether or not Nintendo or Sakurai would opt to go for a different Level-5 character first, most particularly Layton (or maybe even Ni No Kuni if Sakurai wanted to go outside of the box.) While Yo-Kai Watch did have that burst in popularity in Japan at one point back during its inception, it hasn't quite managed to do as well internationally. Which is why Sakurai may opt to go for a character that enjoys more international popularity, much like how he went with Final Fantasy first before including Dragon Quest for Square Enix.

Want 25%
While I would vastly prefer a certain few other Level-5 characters first, most particularly Layton, I suppose Jibanyan would at least help finally get Level-5's foot through the door with Smash, Leaving hopefully more opportunities and interests open for other characters in future games..

Agumon

Chance 10%
I feel like we'd probably be seeing a few other Namco characters make it in before him.

Want 30%

Would be neat to see the little guy.

In regards to both Jibanyan and Agumon, it would be cool to see more monster collector franchises asides from Pokemon taking a step into the ring, yes.

Nominations:
Monster Hunter x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Things seem to have stabilized at home.

Abstaining today, I honestly do think Agumon is a little slept on in hindsight but I don't feel like doing a write up. Always felt Yo Kai Watch's chances were overrated to an extent.

Concept: Fortnite Character x 5, which should save it from the purge. At this point I am down to save something else as well potentially.

Day will end in a bit, we are seeing if there is a shadow direct mini again.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I really doubt that there is going to be one at this point. The main times where Nintendo posts these things have already passed for today.
True, but given the murmurs that went around it is better to be safe then sorry. We got screwed a bit with the mini last time, or at least de blob did.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
True, but given the murmurs that went around it is better to be safe then sorry. We got screwed a bit with the mini last time, or at least de blob did.
I mean, on the one hand, that's fair enough. But on the other, I feel like we should keep in mind that it's like 11:45 PM in Japan now, and things would need to be very weird for them to do something at this time on (nearly) a Saturday.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, on the one hand, that's fair enough. But on the other, I feel like we should keep in mind that it's like 11:45 PM in Japan now, and things would need to be very weird for them to do something at this time on (nearly) a Saturday.
Yeah. There's likely going to be no Direct today.

Top Bottom